HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can you feel the hate coming back?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2007, 10:23 PM
  #1
TomLaidlaw
Registered User
 
TomLaidlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Transylvania
Country: Romania
Posts: 3,177
vCash: 500
Can you feel the hate coming back?

I know I am not the only one who has sensed it on these boards the past two days after our big signings. People are starting to hate the Rangers again. It was a matter of time I guess. We are starting to see the old " Rangers just throw money around recklessly" and " the small markets can't compete with the big markets that front load contracts" rants. I gotta admit, i kinda like it. You can just sense the resentment in so many posts. Wheter it's because the team they root for did nothing to improve or because they wanted the two guys we got. Whatever it is, the hate is back, and I love it. The image of opposing fans angrily typing mean spirited posts as they mumble " stupid rags with their stupid front loaded contracts" is very entertaining.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:26 PM
  #2
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,662
vCash: 500
The only sensible thing left for us to do is win the whole damn thing. The funny thing is most of these posts are pretty inaccurate. Don't the same rules apply to all 30 teams?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:26 PM
  #3
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,204
vCash: 500
I'd like to know why people don't like the Rangers because of the signings.

The only thing I can come up with is they are jealous that their team didnt get him.

Really what else is there? They are mad at us because we outbid teams because we had the cap room? Thats not a good enough reason to be mad.

We played our money smart over the past 2 years and now we are rewarded, and now people are pissed.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:29 PM
  #4
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Plato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York
Country: Greece
Posts: 9,229
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
I'd like to know why people don't like the Rangers because of the signings.

The only thing I can come up with is they are jealous that their team didnt get him.

Really what else is there? They are mad at us because we outbid teams because we had the cap room? Thats not a good enough reason to be mad.

We played our money smart over the past 2 years and now we are rewarded, and now people are pissed.
What you said is exactly right.
People are just frustrated that we got the players we got and their teams didn't. And this dissapointment they have turns into hate for the Rangers which makes no sense because ALL NHL TEAMS OPERATE UNDER THE SAME CAP!!! So stop accusing us for throwing money at free agents. If you think the Rangers made mistakes with these signings then you, as fans of opposing teams, should be happy not angry.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:30 PM
  #5
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,961
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
It's a great feeling. The hate is incredible.

And you know what?

**** everyone else. **** 'em.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:31 PM
  #6
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,961
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
I'd like to know why people don't like the Rangers because of the signings.

The only thing I can come up with is they are jealous that their team didnt get him.

Really what else is there? They are mad at us because we outbid teams because we had the cap room? Thats not a good enough reason to be mad.

We played our money smart over the past 2 years and now we are rewarded, and now people are pissed.
Fly, we better have a permanent WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMBULANCE stationed on our boards, because the whining, *****ing and moaning is already permeating through other boards.

I'm an EMT. I'll drive the WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMBULANCE.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:32 PM
  #7
danno2530
 
danno2530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,453
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
As I just posted on the main boards...I absolutely love it.

People are just so jealous it's hilarious. If this was Phoenix making these signings, they would be praised throughout the league. However, it's the Rangers so "ZOMG TEH RANGERS R CHEETING! THEY HAVE NO CAP! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!"

As happy as I am to have Gomez and Drury, it makes me even happier to see how bitter and jealous certain fans are. It's really the bottom of the barrel when you have to resort to ripping teams despite them playing by the rules.

This reminds me a little bit of the old Yankees argument about them spending money - which is also a ******** argument itself - but at least I can kind of understand how small market fans can be frustrated with the Yankees despite them playing by the rules.

But to people whining and complaining about the Rangers - keep it up! You are very amusing and I can always use the extra comedy in my life because your argument is absolutely worthless.

With that said, let's go out and shut up those fans on the ice as well next season.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:34 PM
  #8
sandman441
Registered User
 
sandman441's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ALASKA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,457
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post

I'm an EMT. I'll drive the WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMBULANCE.


I got shotgun.

sandman441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:35 PM
  #9
TomLaidlaw
Registered User
 
TomLaidlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Transylvania
Country: Romania
Posts: 3,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
I'd like to know why people don't like the Rangers because of the signings.

The only thing I can come up with is they are jealous that their team didnt get him.

Really what else is there? They are mad at us because we outbid teams because we had the cap room? Thats not a good enough reason to be mad.

We played our money smart over the past 2 years and now we are rewarded, and now people are pissed.
I think its a combo of sour grapes and the eagerness to jump on the Rangers at any sign of them spending money because of past hard feelings. It became fashionable to hate the Rangers when we were viewed as a bottomless pit of money. Now that there is a cap there are limitations to what any team can do no matter how wealthy they are but that doesn't seem to matter to most people, they just want to dislike us. Like I said before, I like being hated by everyone. People were too cuddly to the Rangers the past two years. It's time to go back to being the bad guy like Tony Montana at the resteraunt.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:36 PM
  #10
stazza18
HFBoards Sponsor
 
stazza18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 1,476
vCash: 500
Don't you know. Sather and Homer single handedly through the NHL back in the dark ages this off season.


stazza18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:36 PM
  #11
danno2530
 
danno2530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,453
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
And now, the world's reaction to the Rangers signing Gomez and Drury...


danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:38 PM
  #12
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26
 
Lion Hound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,701
vCash: 500
I live in Islander country. I actually heard a pair of guys saying that the Rangers are corrupt, and are paying these guys under the table to keep them around!!!!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:38 PM
  #13
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
I hate you ****ers because you are ****ers. Not because you had the gall to improve your team.

Like I said in other threads... how often do the Pens, Flyers, and Rags all have solid teams? The competition will be amazing this season in our division. I can't wait.

Again, I say this cheerfully, **** you ****ers.


Last edited by Valhoun*: 07-02-2007 at 10:52 PM. Reason: I spell like Mike Tyson.
Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:40 PM
  #14
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Plato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York
Country: Greece
Posts: 9,229
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
It's a great feeling. The hate is incredible.

And you know what?

**** everyone else. **** 'em.
Thats how I feel as well but you cant help but be frustrated at people hating the Rangers for simply signing players.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:40 PM
  #15
danno2530
 
danno2530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,453
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
I hate you ****ers because you are ****ers. Not because you had the gall to improve your team.

Like I said in other threads... how often do the Pens, Flyers, and Rags all have solid teams? The competition will be amazing this season in our division. I can't wait.

Again, I say this cheefully, **** you ****ers.
That's because you are a knowledgeable fan. I DESPISE the Flyers but it's not because you signed Briere and traded for Hartnell and Timonen..it's because the sight of your logo makes me want to vomit. They had every right to sign those guys and I don't question the length of the deals because you know what? Somebody was giving them those contracts one way or another.

**** the Flyers. And I say that with the utmost respect.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:41 PM
  #16
Nich
Registered User
 
Nich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wantagh
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,895
vCash: 500
nope, i feel the love....

Question: Was it difficult decision for both of you in terms of other offers?

Gomez: I mean it was more of what is the other guy going to do. Everyone was waiting, but towards the end New York offered everything -- the city, the atmosphere, everything you would want. But most of all, I think this team is ready to win, you can just feel the buzz around them and that starts with the goaltending, I think. Playing against them they just have so much confidence. Out of the other teams, I felt like this was the place I could win in.

Drury:: After playing them in the playoffs I saw how good (Henrik) Lundqvist is, and now we're ready to take the next step

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:41 PM
  #17
Nich
Registered User
 
Nich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wantagh
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
It's a great feeling. The hate is incredible.

And you know what?

**** everyone else. **** 'em.
amen!

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:42 PM
  #18
TomLaidlaw
Registered User
 
TomLaidlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Transylvania
Country: Romania
Posts: 3,177
vCash: 500
I felt an avatar change was needed to anger the masses.

notice the "Location"

I love how fired up people get about these frontloaded contracts.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:43 PM
  #19
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
I hate you ****ers because you are ****ers. Not because you had the gall to improve your team.

Like I said in other threads... how often do the Pens, Flyers, and Rags all have solid teams? The competition will be amazing this season in our division. I can't wait.

Again, I say this cheefully, **** you ****ers.

And we say the same thing respectfully and cheerfully right back


It's going to be a fun season.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:43 PM
  #20
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,553
vCash: 500
I am a Kings fan, but I have to admit I find the ones regarding cap manipulation posted by Devil fans particularly amusing.

BTW, Kings GM Lombardi mentioned in a media conference call today that all of these signings have left the Rangers vulnerable to an offer sheet for Lundqvist. I could see the Kings offering just under the $5M figure. If Lundqvist accepted and you didn't match we would lose two 1st round picks, a 2nd, and a 3rd. That's ok because we have Dallas' first round pick in 2008 and with Lundqvist and Anaheim and San Jose in the Pacific Division we might very well turn them into a lottery team. Then we skip giving up the 1st round pick in the very deep 2009 draft and you get our 1st in 2010.

Can't see why the Kings wouldn't do it. Would you guys be able to match? Or here's another idea. You trade us Montoya on the cheap in order for us to stay away from Lundqvist.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:45 PM
  #21
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I know I am not the only one who has sensed it on these boards the past two days after our big signings. People are starting to hate the Rangers again. It was a matter of time I guess. We are starting to see the old " Rangers just throw money around recklessly" and " the small markets can't compete with the big markets that front load contracts" rants. I gotta admit, i kinda like it. You can just sense the resentment in so many posts. Wheter it's because the team they root for did nothing to improve or because they wanted the two guys we got. Whatever it is, the hate is back, and I love it. The image of opposing fans angrily typing mean spirited posts as they mumble " stupid rags with their stupid front loaded contracts" is very entertaining.
Oh please! (not towards the thread starter).

No fan of any other team can say a thing. We earned these signings.

We rebuilt our farm system with 1st round picks like Korpedo, Montoya, Staal, Sanguinetti, and now Cherp along with 2nd round picks and so on like Anisimov, Dupont, Pyatt, etc. And signing a steal young player in Girardi and I almost forgot Pock who still has good potential

The Rangers created that cap space. Sather and staff set it up that way so we were in this position they played it smart. They didnt make stupid deals at the deadlines and didnt deal away our best prospects.

Sather didnt overpay though the contracts were big ones, some teams were getting ready to offer more and did even though guys like Briere settled for a little less to play with a certain team. And now because management worked with the cap so well there is still space to re-sign all the players we need and possibly sign a Souray while dumping salary (Malik) in a trade.

Management did everything right and has now built a cup contender for possibly years to come.

If opposing teams and fans want to hate the rangers then so be it, but for once in the history of this game those haters should be envious and taking notes of what has been done here in the Big Apple.

As for the NHL itself, Bettman and company must be jumping up and down with joy. The game hockey needs attention and with the Rangers, one of the games biggest market teams who was starting to draw people/fans into the garden because of the way they went through a rebuild and showed that it worked in NY over the past 3 years,--they have now hockey becoming the main attraction in the big city of NY with these two additions. Bettman can see the dollar signs already. The people of NY and the fans who have been loyal will buy into this team right now and this team will sell itself to the game and to the world. These past couple days have just been great for hockey in general.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:46 PM
  #22
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I am a Kings fan, but I have to admit I find the ones regarding cap manipulation posted by Devil fans particularly amusing.

BTW, Kings GM Lombardi mentioned in a media conference call today that all of these signings have left the Rangers vulnerable to an offer sheet for Lundqvist. I could see the Kings offering just under the $5M figure. If Lundqvist accepted and you didn't match we would lose two 1st round picks, a 2nd, and a 3rd. That's ok because we have Dallas' first round pick in 2008 and with Lundqvist and Anaheim and San Jose in the Pacific Division we might very well turn them into a lottery team. Then we skip giving up the 1st round pick in the very deep 2009 draft and you get our 1st in 2010.

Can't see why the Kings wouldn't do it. Would you guys be able to match? Or here's another idea. You trade us Montoya on the cheap in order for us to stay away from Lundqvist.
Lundqvist won't accept it...that's why. He's gonna get paid. I know it's a business and other guys have said they weren't going anywhere...and then left. But I don't see Henrik leaving. Why would he? This team has only been on the rise since he got here and is poised to take it the distance. No offense to the Kings, but what is your outlook this season?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:47 PM
  #23
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 23,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
BTW, Kings GM Lombardi mentioned in a media conference call today that all of these signings have left the Rangers vulnerable to an offer sheet for Lundqvist. I could see the Kings offering just under the $5M figure. If Lundqvist accepted and you didn't match we would lose two 1st round picks, a 2nd, and a 3rd. That's ok because we have Dallas' first round pick in 2008 and with Lundqvist and Anaheim and San Jose in the Pacific Division we might very well turn them into a lottery team. Then we skip giving up the 1st round pick in the very deep 2009 draft and you get our 1st in 2010.
IF you guys do give up 2 picks i would assume league rules states it has to be your first rounders in the next 2 drafts.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:48 PM
  #24
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,961
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I am a Kings fan, but I have to admit I find the ones regarding cap manipulation posted by Devil fans particularly amusing.

BTW, Kings GM Lombardi mentioned in a media conference call today that all of these signings have left the Rangers vulnerable to an offer sheet for Lundqvist. I could see the Kings offering just under the $5M figure. If Lundqvist accepted and you didn't match we would lose two 1st round picks, a 2nd, and a 3rd. That's ok because we have Dallas' first round pick in 2008 and with Lundqvist and Anaheim and San Jose in the Pacific Division we might very well turn them into a lottery team. Then we skip giving up the 1st round pick in the very deep 2009 draft and you get our 1st in 2010.

Can't see why the Kings wouldn't do it. Would you guys be able to match? Or here's another idea. You trade us Montoya on the cheap in order for us to stay away from Lundqvist.
First off, who gives a FLYING **** what Dean Lombardi has to say about the Rangers? As I said before: **** everyone else. And **** him.

Lundqvist has already publicly stated that he WILL NOT SIGN ANY OFFER SHEET PRESENTED TO HIM.

End of story.

We'll trade you Montoya. If you include Jack Johnson.

Second off, you can't just pick and choose draft picks. That's just an absurd thought, even.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 10:49 PM
  #25
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,037
vCash: 500
People will only hate the Rangers if they're successful.

Otherwise the hate will turn to pity or derision pretty quickly.

The free agent frenzy always has people jumping to conclusions in July.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.