HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rita to be called up.

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2003, 02:29 PM
Slats432

vCash: 500
Rita to be called up.

John Short on 930 CJCA is reporting that after tonight's Roadrunner and Oilers games that Jani Rita will be getting the call from the big club.

He is expected to join them on this road trip.

The Oilers have an open spot on the roster so no one will have to be demoted for this to occur.

Old
12-30-2003, 02:35 PM
Shibumi

vCash: 788
Good. I hope he gets a good shot, say at least 15 games or more. Then we will see what he is capable of.

Old
12-30-2003, 02:37 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
John Short on 930 CJCA is reporting that after tonight's Roadrunner and Oilers games that Jani Rita will be getting the call from the big club.

He is expected to join them on this road trip.

The Oilers have an open spot on the roster so no one will have to be demoted for this to occur.

On a related note, three wise men were seen coming out of the east.

Seriously, there's just no reason to keep him down on the farm any longer. Bring him up, give him legit playing time for the next 10-15 games and see what the kid can do; this is long overdue.

Old
12-30-2003, 02:37 PM
t0mf00lery

Good ol' John Short. I wondered if he was still alive and kicking. I can remember being a kid and listening to his post game show.

I hope that Rita gets a good shot to play on the top two lines this year instead of the 9 minutes or less that he got last year.

Old
12-30-2003, 02:47 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerrick
I hope that Rita gets a good shot to play on the top two lines this year instead of the 9 minutes or less that he got last year.
Let's hope.

Old
12-30-2003, 02:48 PM
Mr Sakich

if someone has to go down to create room, then a trade is in the works. Hemsky, Stoll and Bergeron are the only guys who wouldn't have to clear waivers and none of them will be sent down any time soon.

Old
12-30-2003, 02:51 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
if someone has to go down to create room, then a trade is in the works. Hemsky, Stoll and Bergeron are the only guys who wouldn't have to clear waivers and none of them will be sent down any time soon.
Actually, Bergeron was sent down yesterday. He's playing for the Roadrunners tonight.

Old
12-30-2003, 02:55 PM
McJadeddog

about freaking time!

Old
12-30-2003, 02:56 PM
speeds

What's the current active roster?

Salo
Conklin

Brewer
Semenov
Staois
Smith
Ferguson
Cross
Luoma

Smyth
Oates
Hemsky
York
Torres
Dvorak
Pisani
Moreau
Stoll
Chimera
Horcoff
Laraque
Isbister

Reasoner on the IR???

I guess that is only 22?

Old
12-30-2003, 03:08 PM
GorillazXL

About time... He should get atleast 15 games to show if he can play or not, and MacT please don't pair him up with some crazy line combo like Salo at centre, Cross on the LW. Give the guy a legit centre (atleast from our team) say Oates or York, even Reasoner when he gets back. but don't play him on the fourth w/ horcoff and Laraque and expect the guy to light it up.

Smyth - Oates - Dvorak
Isbister - York - Hemsky
Torres - Stoll/Reasoner - Rita
Moreau/Chimera - Stoll/Horcoff - Pisani

GXL

Last edited by GorillazXL: 12-30-2003 at 03:36 PM.
Old
12-30-2003, 03:22 PM
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Seriously, there's just no reason to keep him down on the farm any longer. Bring him up, give him legit playing time for the next 10-15 games and see what the kid can do; this is long overdue.
Agreed. I've been dying to see him get a GOOD shot. I sure hope they play him plenty - let the kid run with it. I think he'll leave us all smiling. At least I hope so.

Old
12-30-2003, 03:29 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
Actually, Bergeron was sent down yesterday. He's playing for the Roadrunners tonight.
I ain't even drunk yet. I meant Semenov. None of those three are going anywhere but someone has to go once reasoner comes back.

Old
12-30-2003, 03:52 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 1072
well about frickin time, he deserves a chance and i hope mact at least plays him more than 10 minutes a game. he will make mistakes but dont banish him for it, at least once give one of our top prospects a legit shot at sticking this year.

Old
12-30-2003, 11:57 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Rita - Oates - Dvorak

Give Jani some decent linemates, play him for at least 12-15 minutes a game, and he'll impress enough to stick with the club. Damn that MacT. Ihope he got coals from Santa this X'mas.

Old
12-31-2003, 02:48 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
Rita - Oates - Dvorak

Give Jani some decent linemates, play him for at least 12-15 minutes a game, and he'll impress enough to stick with the club. Damn that MacT. Ihope he got coals from Santa this X'mas.
The only change I would make is exchange Oates for York. York and Dvo seem to have good chemistry going.

Old
12-31-2003, 05:37 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Here's an idea...

How about they give him a couple of games to get re-aquainted with the way the team plays and the speed of the NHL before they put him on the second line.

You know, so he isn't completely over-whelmed and put into a position to fail right off the bat.

Old
12-31-2003, 05:38 AM
Slats432

One note...which I posted on the RR thread...

Let me quote John Short "Jani Rita is to be called up after the respective Roadrunner and Oilers games tonight." And whoever he was talking to said something to the effect of "I hope he gets at least ten games with decent linemates."

As of right this moment no official announcement has been made, nor did I listen long enough to find out who he received his information from.

It wasn't speculation either because they also talked about how the Oilers will not have to send a player down to Toronto because there is an open spot on the roster.

Old
12-31-2003, 11:35 AM
bfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
One note...which I posted on the RR thread...

Let me quote John Short "Jani Rita is to be called up after the respective Roadrunner and Oilers games tonight." And whoever he was talking to said something to the effect of "I hope he gets at least ten games with decent linemates."

As of right this moment no official announcement has been made, nor did I listen long enough to find out who he received his information from.

It wasn't speculation either because they also talked about how the Oilers will not have to send a player down to Toronto because there is an open spot on the roster.
Later on in the evening on Just a Game, John Short said that a time wasn't given as to when the Oilers would call up Jani Rita. Short assumed that the best time would be on the road trip and thus he would be called up in the next few days. All he knows is that Jani Rita WILL be called up and WILL be given a good chance to be an offensive player. Not the crap that MacTavish tried last time Rita was called up. The injury to Jason Smith would have a great effect on whether Rita gets called up, I'd imagine.

Old
12-31-2003, 02:20 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Why doesnt Edmonton adopt the current WJ game plan, instead of having a 4th line that is seen as a checking/energy line, why dont the Oil use their 4th line to break in some youngsters with top-end talent.

If we can trade say Chimera and Laraque, we can call up Salmo and Rita, our 4th line could be Rita-Horcoff-Salmo

Smyth-Oates-Hemsky
Torres-York-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner/Stoll-Pisani
Rita-Horcoff-Salmo

Another idea...

Rita-York-Dvorak
Smyth-Oates-Hemsky
Moreau-Reasoner-Salmo
Torres-Stoll/Horcoff-Pisani

Old
01-01-2004, 11:05 AM
copperaddict

Horcoff is a waste of a good roster spot!Why would you waste Rita with that?If Hemsky and Smyth couldn't carry Horcoff why put that pressure on your top prospect?The only thing Horcoff did for Hemsky and Smyth was give them a poor +/-!!I think someone has to sit down with Mact and ask him what he sees in Horridoff?

Old
01-01-2004, 11:24 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperaddict
Horcoff is a waste of a good roster spot!Why would you waste Rita with that?If Hemsky and Smyth couldn't carry Horcoff why put that pressure on your top prospect?The only thing Horcoff did for Hemsky and Smyth was give them a poor +/-!!I think someone has to sit down with Mact and ask him what he sees in Horridoff?
Sigh.. have you been watching the Oilers for the past month or so? Horcoff has been one of our top players without a doubt..

Old
01-01-2004, 11:40 AM
copperaddict

That explains all our problems then if he is our best player!I've watched every game and without having to resort to holiday cheer to make them look better.And Horcoff is still the Last Centerman I want to see with Rita.

Old
01-01-2004, 12:59 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperaddict
That explains all our problems then if he is our best player!I've watched every game and without having to resort to holiday cheer to make them look better.And Horcoff is still the Last Centerman I want to see with Rita.
I personally think Horcoff and Rita might make up a decent line.. I'd personally rather see a line with Rita and Reasoner on it however. They seemed to have a lot of chemistry in training camp when Rita was potting like 3 goals/scrimmage..

Old
01-01-2004, 08:12 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
, why dont the Oil use their 4th line to break in some youngsters with top-end talent.
Are you talking about Rita when you say "top-end talent"? Our opinions differ in this case.

Old
01-02-2004, 08:13 PM
Master Lok

Sigh.... sounds like another boobird just looking for some Oiler to kick around. Seems like we always have fans looking to pick on Salo, or Brewer, or Horcoff or etc. even when they have turned their game around.

Closed Thread