HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Ten Million Dollar Question

View Poll Results: Is It time to bolster the offense with a true bonafied sniper(s)?
Yes. High time for some new offensive blood in NJ. 11 61.11%
No. This team will continue to rack up wins as presently constituted. 6 33.33%
Undecided. 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2003, 04:15 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
The Ten Million Dollar Question

Lou Lamoriello's on record saying that all he cares about is goal differential which NJ clearly still tops the charts with. Just the other night, NJ had the best winning percentage in the league and the team was previously the last one unbeaten in OT prior to a loss to the Isles. The goals against, team defense in general, natural assimilations and progressions from Martin and Hale, ability to overcome key injuries to regular contributors, and PK have clearly been outstanding this season as have Martin Brodeur and Corey Schwab. One question still remains though and its the same one Mark Everson brought up not too long ago which sparked some interesting recurring conversations.

Has this team sufficiently replaced the goals and offense lost from Joe Nieuwendyk with the additions of Rasmussen and Larionov? I'd argue they haven't really done this so far despite guys like Pandolfo, Rafalski, and Gionta stepping things up in positive ways. Scoring 3 straight goals to even up the score against the Isles last week is a real tough mountain to climb for these guys imo.

In a gunfight with a team like the Sens and Isles of the league who can regularly put up 4 or 5 goals a night without breaking too much of a sweat when things are rolling, the Devils still lack the firepower to really counter said attack once NJ is forced to play the game of catchup. To their credit, this team was able to overcome this often repeated criticism last season as many of us bristled at the suggestions this same "anemic offense/worst PP in the league" would be the teams eventual achilles heel, but I'm starting to really wonder if and when Lou will address this weakness which I feel deserves a bit more attention if this team is genuinely serious about going for 2 straight cups.

Last edited by Unthinkable: 12-30-2003 at 04:19 PM.

Old
12-30-2003, 04:26 PM
PEli*

vCash: 500
I don't think we'll see any major moves. Ever since I've been a Devils fan, the team has usually been in need of a top flight scorer. A forward that could notch 30+ goals a season and maybe finish up with 80+ points playing in New Jersey.

Right now, the only player that is 100% available is Miro Satan. Would Lou deal within the conference? Would Regier hold Satan for a king's ransom? Would Miro wear #66?

The answer to all of these questions is...who knows? As history would show, Lou will not make a deal for a scorer. I don't think he believes in replacing lost parts. I think it's more of a step up thing like you feel Raf, Gionta and Pandolfo have done.

I think the real $10M question is the question that may in fact be worth $10M. Will Lou do anything to keep Scott Niedermayer in New Jersey?

Old
12-30-2003, 04:41 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
I think the team misses Lagenbrunner more than people realize and when he gets back maybe our scoring woes will be answered, but that being said Lou will need to address the problem at center for Larinov has been a total flop and that postion might need addressing before we even consider getting a offensive winger.

Last edited by Ronnie Bass: 12-30-2003 at 04:44 PM.
Old
12-30-2003, 04:43 PM
NJDraft

The truth is that all GM's should be constantly looking because you never know what's ahead in Inj. possibilities.

Lou has never really replaced Almo,N'yk,Arnott,Holik. He says he looks at differential ,but when you are planning for the playoffs, that's irrelevant. For a contender, this team is weak down the middle:no goal scoring.

Only 3 seasons ago the team led the NHL in goals.

I'd make a bid on Satan but only if Buffalo would pay part of his salrey. If Boston continues to slide out of the picture, I'd look into UFA RW Murray. Carolina has some players available to rent. With the AMD flirting with last place,they might want to shake things up?

Old
12-30-2003, 05:01 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

vCash: 560
How does this team do keep winning after losing players and more players every year? Were are not just talking about 3rd and 4th line players with (Holik, Mogilny, Nieuwendyk, etc.)

Lou

I think losing Niedermayer could be a problem though. Even though guys left, there were others who could replace them (like Holik, there was Mad Dog). Martin isn't ready to replace a top 3 two-way d-man. NJ has been known for over the past few years for having a superior defensive corps and I hope Lou finds a way to keep Niedermayer.

With RFA and UFA coming up, don't be surprised if you hear the Niedermayer to Canucks or Mad Dog to Toronto rumours.

Old
12-30-2003, 08:28 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Devil_Boy
How does this team do keep winning after losing players and more players every year? Were are not just talking about 3rd and 4th line players with (Holik, Mogilny, Nieuwendyk, etc.)

Lou

I think losing Niedermayer could be a problem though. Even though guys left, there were others who could replace them (like Holik, there was Mad Dog). Martin isn't ready to replace a top 3 two-way d-man. NJ has been known for over the past few years for having a superior defensive corps and I hope Lou finds a way to keep Niedermayer.

With RFA and UFA coming up, don't be surprised if you hear the Niedermayer to Canucks or Mad Dog to Toronto rumours.
Is he a RFA or a UFA? Keep hearing conflicting views on this.

Old
12-30-2003, 08:41 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
Is he a RFA or a UFA? Keep hearing conflicting views on this.
Pretty sure Niedermayer will be RFA.

Old
12-30-2003, 08:50 PM
devildan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDPEXP
The truth is that all GM's should be constantly looking because you never know what's ahead in Inj. possibilities.

Lou has never really replaced Almo,N'yk,Arnott,Holik. He says he looks at differential ,but when you are planning for the playoffs, that's irrelevant. For a contender, this team is weak down the middle:no goal scoring.

Only 3 seasons ago the team led the NHL in goals.

I'd make a bid on Satan but only if Buffalo would pay part of his salrey. If Boston continues to slide out of the picture, I'd look into UFA RW Murray. Carolina has some players available to rent. With the AMD flirting with last place,they might want to shake things up?
A worse version of this team won the cup last year IMO

Old
12-30-2003, 09:23 PM
IslanderCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Devil_Boy

Lou

It's been an amazing job of cultivating the young talent on the part of the organization In my opinion (to answer the question of "how does the team continue to win in spite of the losses)...
Gionta and Gomez being the best examples of that.
I personally never thought that losing Holik was going to hurt the Devils that much, and I think it is pretty obvious what he is doing on the other side of the river....about nothing.

But to someone asked the question "Has this team sufficiently replaced the goals and offense lost from Joe Nieuwendyk with the additions of Rasmussen and Larionov?"
I have to think No.
Larionov would have been a great pick-up in addition to Nieuwendyke...but not as a replacement. He is a good leader, he sees the ice well etc... a proven veteran. But so far I have seen a guy that doesn't pull the trigger nearly enough.

I think the Devils would be properly suited to go out and get one fairly inexpensive, veteran forward that could add a touch more offense. Not a blockbuster. Just a small addition.
Even Adam Oates or somebody like that. it could make all the difference, without changing too much (or any) of the chemistry.

Just my opinion.

Old
12-31-2003, 12:47 AM
Trottier
Very Random

They'll be plenty of offensive options (e.g., Zhamnov,) for the Devils between now and March and it certainly is not an urgent need, IMO. You hit a bit of a patch against NYI. Big deal. It's not even the new year (yet). Your team's record is very solid. And the Devils win a lot because they dictate the game a lot. That is, no team - Ottawa, Philly, etc. - is going to light up the scoreboard come playoff time. That's the time of 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2 games. Which is the Devil's forte.

Old
12-31-2003, 08:37 AM
sliveD

Lou has made deals before

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEli
As history would show, Lou will not make a deal for a scorer.
I think the real $10M question is the question that may in fact be worth $10M. Will Lou do anything to keep Scott Niedermayer in New Jersey?
Lou doesn't exactly "chase" scorers but he has pulled the trigger before for a scorer and he's paid "big" before. He acquired Stastny in 1990, Broten in '95, Gilmour in '97 and Mogilny in 2000. Two of those moves brought Cups, two didn't.

Your question regarding Nieds is a great/crucial one. I personally think he's worth paying/ marrying long term as Lou has with Stevens and Brodeur. On the ice he is that special and really proved it last year (I think he should have won Conn Smythe (although I understand the whole Jiggy thing).

He has no personality/leadership so he's been overshadowed by Stevens, but on the ice he's irreplaceable and good for at least five years. Also, Stevens is gone soon. I think Lou marries him! If he doesn't I think results will suffer.

Old
12-31-2003, 09:49 AM
Tbg1515

As far as i'm concerned the only thing we need is a shooter on the powerplay and a good 2 way player someone who wont screw up the chemistry..........With that being said and Chicago stuck in last place, what about a deal involving Sullivan, Zhamnov, Bell, etc.......Guys who can play 2 ways and help out in the playoffs like Marshall, & Smehlik did last year......BUt i d still say Sergei Berezin is still a FA why not take a shot at him play him with Elias, and Friesen going, and also it would get the powerplay respectable

Old
12-31-2003, 11:13 AM
Missionhockey

I guess I wouldn't mind seeing Sullivan play here but don't you think we have enough smallish forwards? I'm not taking anything away for him but I'm afraid of our team becoming overly small. I'd like to see Zhamnov play here also if Lou can get him cheap. But I heard he is horrible on defense.

Closed Thread