HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flexibility

Old
07-04-2007, 04:02 AM
rozsival rox

vCash: 500
Flexibility

Regardless of what you think about Gomez and Drury, it's clear that with these signings Rangers lose trade flexibility, riding so close against the cap. So if a situation ever develops like a hypothetical Lecavalier trade or, to use real life, a Joe Thornton-type steal (for San Jose) or a Jagr-type steal (for us), we're by default out of the discussion. Because how many players can you afford to play 7-8 million in a cap era? I like both Drury and Gomez for their scoring ability and also their intangibles -- Gomez's ability to carry the puck up the ice, Drury's leadership abilities and prowess in the face off circle. We got some excellent players. But we didn't get superstars, and if there is ever a case in the future where a legitimate superstar is on the move (and Jagr is retired and other players i.e Lundqvist are making more), our hands are tied.

rozsival rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 04:08 AM
Rangers_23
Beuke!

Send a message via AIM to Rangers_23 Send a message via MSN to Rangers_23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyuts View Post
Regardless of what you think about Gomez and Drury, it's clear that with these signings Rangers lose trade flexibility, riding so close against the cap. So if a situation ever develops like a hypothetical Lecavalier trade or, to use real life, a Joe Thornton-type steal (for San Jose) or a Jagr-type steal (for us), we're by default out of the discussion. Because how many players can you afford to play 7-8 million in a cap era? I like both Drury and Gomez for their scoring ability and also their intangibles -- Gomez's ability to carry the puck up the ice, Drury's leadership abilities and prowess in the face off circle. We got some excellent players. But we didn't get superstars, and if there is ever a case in the future where a legitimate superstar is on the move (and Jagr is retired and other players i.e Lundqvist are making more), our hands are tied.
1) For the next couple of years, while the Jagr/Shanny/Straka/Malik? etc contracts are still on the books, yes I agree.

2) It's so much harder to pull off the "Superstar" steal trades in a capped environment that not having that extra flexibility doesn't hurt as much. We won't ever see a Jagr for Anson Carter and $$$$$$$ type deal again.

Rangers_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 04:11 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
If we win with this lineup we don't need the flexibility. Let's not talk about potential superstar trades when our new acquisitions haven't had a chance to prove themselves yet.

We had this "flexibility" for the past few years, and we didn't make any huge trades. We've been waiting for the right time to address our current team needs, and we've done that. If all of a sudden Jagr stops scoring, or if Henrik is signed to a 7 year contract, and he sucks all of a sudden, you might have a point, but right now we're in good shape, so no need to worry about the hypothetical. Because it's not like we're going to be offered Joe Thornton for Prucha.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Sockosensei

I have to agree with God Is Avery.

Slats has spent the past several years putting us in a financially flexible situation.
YES, we overpaid slightly for the players we got, but think of it as a "timing tax" --- this is our window of opportunity and we're ready to step through it.

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 01:29 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
If we win with this lineup we don't need the flexibility. Let's not talk about potential superstar trades when our new acquisitions haven't had a chance to prove themselves yet.

We had this "flexibility" for the past few years, and we didn't make any huge trades. We've been waiting for the right time to address our current team needs, and we've done that. If all of a sudden Jagr stops scoring, or if Henrik is signed to a 7 year contract, and he sucks all of a sudden, you might have a point, but right now we're in good shape, so no need to worry about the hypothetical. Because it's not like we're going to be offered Joe Thornton for Prucha.
Even then....based on the way the market has been working...in another season or two these contracts will be relative bargains for these players should the Rangers need to make a change. Also keep in mind the position these two play....its always at a premium. I didn't particularly like the money thrown out there....b ut the more I look at it...the more sense it makes. The Jagr cup window is the next 2-3 seasons...and these 2 players address a huge hole on this team...especially with Nylander playing the cards the way he did...a gross miscalculation on his part in my opinion by the way. The center position is solid for several years now...and its been a glaring weakeness here.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyuts View Post
Flexibility is one thing. Leaving holes in your lineup in the hopes that something bigger shakes down later in the season is something entirely different.

If we didn't fill these holes now, there's no guarantee that we'd be able to fill them later. And we have plenty of flexibility with Straka, Malik, Shanahan (presumably), Mara, and Rozsival all being UFAs at the end of the season.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 03:06 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

See Hartford, see Russia, see our prospects for flexibility! What do we need that we don't already have?

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote