HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Duck's Defense... better?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-04-2007, 03:46 PM
  #1
Theridion
Registered User
 
Theridion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 1,864
vCash: 500
Duck's Defense... better?

Ok, call me crazy, but could our defense be better this year?

Ignore if I don't match people up perfectly

Pronger - Beauchemin
Schneider - O'donnel
Hnidy- Huskins

We had a weak 3rd defensive pairing last year in the playoffs. If Hnidy steps up and we have him with a good defensive partner... well... could we have a chance that our D be better than last year?

Could our penalty kill be the biggest situation hurt by the loss of nieds?

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 03:52 PM
  #2
Snap Wilson
Registered User
 
Snap Wilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,838
vCash: 500
Are you kidding? No, the blueline is definitely not better. Even the potential difference between Hnidy and Dipenta doesn't make up for the difference between Niedermayer and Schneider. Niedermayer impacted the whole team with his play.

Snap Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 03:54 PM
  #3
Elvs
Registered User
 
Elvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pitea
Country: Sweden
Posts: 6,871
vCash: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theridion View Post
Ok, call me crazy, but could our defense be better this year?

Ignore if I don't match people up perfectly

Pronger - Beauchemin
Schneider - O'donnel
Hnidy- Huskins

We had a weak 3rd defensive pairing last year in the playoffs. If Hnidy steps up and we have him with a good defensive partner... well... could we have a chance that our D be better than last year?

Could our penalty kill be the biggest situation hurt by the loss of nieds?

Better?

If Nieds are coming back then yes...

If Nieds retires then no...

Hnidy is just a small upgrade over Joe DiPenta, but no upgrade over Richard Jackman IMO...

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 03:55 PM
  #4
Theridion
Registered User
 
Theridion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 1,864
vCash: 500
What if we deal Bryz + Penner for Bouwmeester? Or another such d-man?

I guess I should just say, downgrading our top pair, but upgrading our bottom pair by a lot, would that make up for nied's extended vacation?

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 03:59 PM
  #5
Elvs
Registered User
 
Elvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pitea
Country: Sweden
Posts: 6,871
vCash: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theridion View Post
What if we deal Bryz + Penner for Bouwmeester? Or another such d-man?

I guess I should just say, downgrading our top pair, but upgrading our bottom pair by a lot, would that make up for nied's extended vacation?
The only chance we are trading those guys + Marchant maybe is if Teemu and Scotty is coming back and we need to free up capspace...

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 04:11 PM
  #6
HerrAlex
 
HerrAlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: greater Anaheim area
Country: United States
Posts: 1,394
vCash: 500
there is definately no way any defense would get better if they lost scotty

HerrAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 04:28 PM
  #7
luckoftheduck
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 799
vCash: 500
Bryz and Marchant expected to be traded.......to Tampa or St. Louis
btw...Pronger is playing with OD thats why Burke resigned him.

luckoftheduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 04:37 PM
  #8
Elvs
Registered User
 
Elvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pitea
Country: Sweden
Posts: 6,871
vCash: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckoftheduck View Post
Bryz and Marchant expected to be traded.......to Tampa or St. Louis
btw...Pronger is playing with OD thats why Burke resigned him.
source?

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 05:12 PM
  #9
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly
 
jax00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Anaslime
Country: United States
Posts: 8,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theridion View Post
What if we deal Bryz + Penner for Bouwmeester? Or another such d-man?

I guess I should just say, downgrading our top pair, but upgrading our bottom pair by a lot, would that make up for nied's extended vacation?
Florida would laugh in our faces if we proposed that. Jbo is a future Norris winner. Plus they got Voukoun (sp?)

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 05:30 PM
  #10
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again
 
chaosrevolver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckoftheduck View Post
Bryz and Marchant expected to be traded.......to Tampa or St. Louis
btw...Pronger is playing with OD thats why Burke resigned him.
oooo let's bring in Brewer from St. Louis. The salaries would be about even.

Pronger - Brewer/O'Donnell
Beach - Schneider
O'Donnell/Brewer - Hnidy


chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 06:36 PM
  #11
Cone
Registered User
 
Cone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Irvine, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,227
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cone
Definitely not better. I know Jackman isn't signed, but am I the only one who liked him better than Huskins?

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 07:13 PM
  #12
luckoftheduck
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfstrand View Post
source?
WC and then also Justheducks from allducks

luckoftheduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 08:17 PM
  #13
ktulu98
Registered User
 
ktulu98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,762
vCash: 500
it would be pretty logic to trade marchant and his 2 and something M salary


and to anwer question:like everybody else has sayed, no way we will have better defense if scotty retire, if not we have definitely better defense..
one of best in last years if not one of the best in whole NHL history

ktulu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 03:56 AM
  #14
Rem
PbP is what I spit
 
Rem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 4-LIFE
Country: United States
Posts: 3,620
vCash: 500
I agree with the census on the thread, no Nied's = weaker D(ucks). Period. No Teemu = far weaker Ducks. As a Shark's fan, I'm hoping and praying they both want to enjoy their lives and their families and the only time they're lacing up is for rec hockey

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 05:38 AM
  #15
bullocks
Registered User
 
bullocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,037
vCash: 500
Hey, the ducks havn't signed Hnidy yet, just so u guys know...

bullocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 05:59 AM
  #16
iLau
Always Mighty
 
iLau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullocks View Post
Hey, the ducks havn't signed Hnidy yet, just so u guys know...
Source?

iLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 10:59 AM
  #17
Snap Wilson
Registered User
 
Snap Wilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,838
vCash: 500
It wouldn't have been announced yesterday, with the holiday. I'd expect an announcement today.

And if it doesn't happen, I'm giving WildCat a season-long suspension from the Rumors hockey rink.

Snap Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 02:59 PM
  #18
MOENing
 
MOENing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cam Town
Country: United States
Posts: 2,715
vCash: 500
I think our defense looks better because of the year of maturing

if niedermeyer stay it will be a monster

don't get me wrong there is no one person in a team Niedermayer didn't insantly make our team better we did win the cup the year before this year. I kinda of tired of people saying our team will be worse without him. Everyone wrote off our depth but our Fourth Line was amazing. Our kid line has matured one more year and will be even more great. PK the Second(Macdonald) and BA(kunitz) are very good. Now the best line our third line did great also. Sorry I went so far on my rant.

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 03:33 PM
  #19
NYRBlaznBure9
Registered User
 
NYRBlaznBure9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 874
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to NYRBlaznBure9
If Neids is back, I am scared of the Ducks again. If he is gone, the defense takes 5 steps backwards.

From a Rangers fan standpoint, I don't want to see Scotty back

NYRBlaznBure9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 03:48 PM
  #20
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again
 
chaosrevolver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRBlaznBure9 View Post
If Neids is back, I am scared of the Ducks again. If he is gone, the defense takes 5 steps backwards.

From a Rangers fan standpoint, I don't want to see Scotty back
More like a step backward. I understand not many can replace him but at the same time we still have a very good defence core.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 04:06 PM
  #21
Rem
PbP is what I spit
 
Rem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 4-LIFE
Country: United States
Posts: 3,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensaint View Post
I think our defense looks better because of the year of maturing

if niedermeyer stay it will be a monster

don't get me wrong there is no one person in a team Niedermayer didn't insantly make our team better we did win the cup the year before this year. I kinda of tired of people saying our team will be worse without him. Everyone wrote off our depth but our Fourth Line was amazing. Our kid line has matured one more year and will be even more great. PK the Second(Macdonald) and BA(kunitz) are very good. Now the best line our third line did great also. Sorry I went so far on my rant.
Nied's INSTANTLY made the D better. And him leaving will INSTANTLY make the D worse. He's the best defenseman in the league, IMO. You can't replace him. Just like if Thornton left he sharks, they will be worse without him - INSTANTLY. They're super-star marquee players and can't be replaced. There's no denying the Duck's D will still be solid. You still have Pronger and Beauchemin. But I don't think you understand how much of an impact player Nieds is. Additionally, he's the freakin' team captain. Losing a winning captain always comes with a punch to the gut.

Additionally, all you mentioned in your reasoning was in the forward lines. Sure you'll still have those guys, and they'll be better or worse or what ever, but when you lose a two way player like Nieds your offense is going to have to up their transition game. You're also losing out on a guy who can bring/pass the puck up to the forwards to let them do their jobs. You MAY not have that guy anymore. Granted Pronger can break out pass like no ones business, but now you (maybe) minus one - a big one.

And again, if you guys lose Teemu, hands down the most clutch forward on the team, you get gut punched twice.

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 04:16 PM
  #22
MOENing
 
MOENing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cam Town
Country: United States
Posts: 2,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_i_movemenT View Post
Nied's INSTANTLY made the D better. And him leaving will INSTANTLY make the D worse. He's the best defenseman in the league, IMO. You can't replace him. Just like if Thornton left he sharks, they will be worse without him - INSTANTLY. They're super-star marquee players and can't be replaced. There's no denying the Duck's D will still be solid. You still have Pronger and Beauchemin. But I don't think you understand how much of an impact player Nieds is. Additionally, he's the freakin' team captain. Losing a winning captain always comes with a punch to the gut.

Additionally, all you mentioned in your reasoning was in the forward lines. Sure you'll still have those guys, and they'll be better or worse or what ever, but when you lose a two way player like Nieds your offense is going to have to up their transition game. You're also losing out on a guy who can bring/pass the puck up to the forwards to let them do their jobs. You MAY not have that guy anymore. Granted Pronger can break out pass like no ones business, but now you (maybe) minus one - a big one.

And again, if you guys lose Teemu, hands down the most clutch forward on the team, you get gut punched twice.
sharks are a good team they would still be without thornton. I don't see how one player can change a whole team. I understand everything you said but Burke Knows Best. In Burke I trust.

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 04:16 PM
  #23
arinkrat*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensaint View Post
I think our defense looks better because of the year of maturing

if niedermeyer stay it will be a monster

don't get me wrong there is no one person in a team Niedermayer didn't insantly make our team better we did win the cup the year before this year. I kinda of tired of people saying our team will be worse without him. Everyone wrote off our depth but our Fourth Line was amazing. Our kid line has matured one more year and will be even more great. PK the Second(Macdonald) and BA(kunitz) are very good. Now the best line our third line did great also. Sorry I went so far on my rant.
People keep saying this because it's true.

Scott Niedermayer made this team instantly better the day he signed on. Do you seriously think they would have won the Stanley Cup if we didn't have Scott after Pronger gets suspended in the WCFs as well as the SCFs? If he retires, not only will the Ducks lose his brains and skills on the ice, but they will lose his leadership in the locker room as well. Pronger may have been a more vocal, emotional leader, but when the team needed to be focused and reminded what they needed to do to win the Stanley Cup, they looked to Scott.

arinkrat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 04:22 PM
  #24
MOENing
 
MOENing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cam Town
Country: United States
Posts: 2,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arinkrat View Post
People keep saying this because it's true.

Scott Niedermayer made this team instantly better the day he signed on. Do you seriously think they would have won the Stanley Cup if we didn't have Scott after Pronger gets suspended in the WCFs as well as the SCFs? If he retires, not only will the Ducks lose his brains and skills on the ice, but they will lose his leadership in the locker room as well. Pronger may have been a more vocal, emotional leader, but when the team needed to be focused and reminded what they needed to do to win the Stanley Cup, they looked to Scott.
I still believe that the ducks can do equal or better as last year.

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 04:25 PM
  #25
rmarion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryz30 View Post
there is definately no way any defense would get better if they lost scotty

rmarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.