HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Roenick - HHOF Worthy?

View Poll Results: Is Jermeny Roenick A Hall of Famer ?
Yes 13 19.40%
No 54 80.60%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-04-2007, 03:16 PM
hockeyyy

vCash: 500
Roenick - HHOF Worthy?

Is Jermeny Roenick A Hall of Famer ???

hockeyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 03:39 PM
discostu

No. He ultimately falls short. An entertaining hockey player, a strong career, but not HHOF worthy.

From a career perspective, he has good numbers, but, guys with better career numbers are going to likely never get in. He lacks any real big achievements. He never won an award. He never made a post-season all-star team and never won the cup.

It's tough, because his best years, during that Chicago time period, it's hard to really use awards as a guage, when he would have to compete with Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Yzerman, etc., but, in the end, there are just too many players from that era that have accomplished more, that are all going to be getting consideration. If he gets in, it'll be well down the line, behind many other players, but, I don't see it happening.

I do predict that he will be the player from that era that will spend the most time discussing why he should be in the Hall of Fame though.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Hockey Outsider

Roenick always left you wanting more. He had the skill set to be a dominating, complete forward but never really put it all together aside from a few years in the early 1990s.

I vote "no" for several reasons:

- While his career totals are pretty good for the dead puck era, Roenick wasn't a dominant scorer. He only finished in the top ten in scoring twice (1992 & 1994) in an 18-year career.
- He was never seriously regarded as a top-ten player except for two or three years (in the early nineties).
- Roenick was a good, but not great, playoff performer. His offense dropped slightly (77-point pace to a 70 point pace). His team made it to the third round or beyond four times. Once Roenick was an ineffective rookie (1989). He was probably the 2nd best player on the team during each of the next two times (after Larmer in 1990 and, unquestionably, after Chelios in 1992). The last time he was probably the 2nd best forward on the team (after Primeau in 2004). So Roenick has had some very good playoff runs, but none that were truly dominating either.
- He never won a major award. He finished 6th for the Hart one year (1992) but was never again anywhere close to winning any award. Roenick was never a member of the year-end all-star team and never came closer than 4th place (in 1992 & 2000).
- Roenick gets credit for his very good defensive and physical game, but it's not enough to HHOF status given the rest of his resume.

Hockey Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 03:56 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Outsider View Post
Roenick always left you wanting more. He had the skill set to be a dominating, complete forward but never really put it all together aside from a few years in the early 1990s.
While he was still a very good player, he never reached the heights he had early in his career pre-knee injury.

I agrees on leaving him just on the outside looking in.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 04:00 PM
jpchabby
Drive for 25

GP G A P
NHL Totals 1252 495 675 1170

Thr guy's got the points, and the goals... I think these numbers pretty much deserve it. People are gonna say it's not only a question of numbers, but his are irrefutable IMO...

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 04:05 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchabby View Post
GP G A P

Thr guy's got the points, and the goals... I think these numbers pretty much deserve it. People are gonna say it's not only a question of numbers, but his are irrefutable IMO...
Vincent Damphousse has over 1,200 points and he's not going to the HHOF. And you could argue Damphousse's portfolio is even better than Roenick's, with his Cup ring (top scorer on a Cup champion), leadership, two-way play and character.

What did Pierre Turgeon wind up with? 1,300-1,400 points. He's not going in. Dave Andreychuk doesn't belong, either.

Career numbers aren't as significant to voters as they used to be. Not when players have 15-20 year careers.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchabby View Post
GP G A P

Those aren't irrefutable numbers. Or you end up with 8-10 guys from the 80's early 90's in the Hall that should not be. Is Pat Verbeek a HOFer? Ciccarelli? Andreychuk? Nicholls?, Taylor? and on and on.

There is not even a good argument to put in Roenick. He'll be remembered well and was a very good player but not a HHOFer.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 07:25 AM
Big Phil

I agree with most people here by saying no. The problem is he didnt do much after the age of 24. You could say he was a top 10 player in the NHL in '94. But after that I'd have a hard time putting him anywhere near that starting in '95. You dont want to see a guy top out at 24 years of age. Before that he may have had three striaght 100 point seasons but to put it in perspective, 21 guys had 100 points in '93.

No Cups, no awards. Modano is a guy that keeps me up at night and he has at least one all-star selection ('00) and a Cup. He's a fence sitter to me. And Modano was pretty good from '96-00. He was commonly refered to as a top 10 player. And although he hit 80 points and only that like clockwork he still did things later on in his career. At 30 he was pretty good. Roenick was just good.

Roenick will always be remembered so it isnt a bad thing. I mean Rene Robert and Rick Martin are always remembered as the French Connection but they arent in the Hall. Roenick is like a guy like Pete Mahovolich. You WANT to find a way to put him in but you cant. No matter how you spin it he just falls short. Mahovlich isnt in and I'd put him in there over Roenick.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 08:25 AM
Evil Chris

Much respect for JR and his accomplishments, but not for the Hall.

Evil Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 09:42 AM
reckoning

Hate to repeat what everyone is saying, but IMO he falls just short of Hall standards. Though he's more deserving than some who often get mentioned here (i.e. Andreychuk)

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 09:46 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Not in my book.

07-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Crazyhorse

I agree with earlier sentiments.

Crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 10:44 AM
V-2 Schneider

Not a chance.

V-2 Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 11:01 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
Hate to repeat what everyone is saying, but IMO he falls just short of Hall standards. Though he's more deserving than some who often get mentioned here (i.e. Andreychuk)
I'd put Andreychuk's chances as better than Roenick's.

I think if anyone is envisioning both players in their prime, people would pick Roenick in a second. But, neither player was good enough in their prime to get in on those merits alone.

Andreychuk has two things going for him though. He does have more impressive career numbers. Being just outside the top 10 in all time goals scored is an impressive feat. I don't care if they're all garbage PP goals, that's still an impressive feat. It's based on longevity, but, playing more games than anyone not named Howe, Messier, Francis and Stevens is a pretty big accomplishment as well.

THe other, is, that his last years was to captain a very young team, with up and comers, and lead them to a cup. That's a pretty good final accomplishment, and one that you can't take for granted.

He's still a guy that will have to wait a long time for an opportunity, and there is no way that he gets in before other guys who are waiting, like Gilmour (who he paled in comparison to during their peak years playing together in Toronto) or Anderson.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 663
Can we change the thread title to something more accurate?

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 12:11 PM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
Can we change the thread title to something more accurate?
Thanks! That was fast!

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Stonefly

Does everyone think Joe Mullen deserves to be in the HHOF?
Pretty similar numbers to Roenick but JR played a much better all around game. Mullen has 3 Cups and a couple of Byng's but he also played on the Penguins for two of those cups and it was against JR for one of them. I'd put Roenick in before Mullen...

Stonefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 02:22 PM
saskganesh

Joey Mullen was also a class act. that counts for something.

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 02:29 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
the only problem with having a thread like this is we havent heard an official retirement announcement from the man himself

http://www.jeremy-roenick.com/ornot.htm

this reporter is going off of a text message..... we cant decide on this until we hear the words from JR- i dont think is retiring and he shouldnt. He still has alot left in him. I cant see him retiring yet. He wants to get to 500 career goals and a team should let him get it- preferably a team that also has a chance to win the Cup because he deserves one

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus3 View Post
Pretty similar numbers to Roenick but JR played a much better all around game. Mullen has 3 Cups and a couple of Byng's but he also played on the Penguins for two of those cups and it was against JR for one of them. I'd put Roenick in before Mullen...
Yeah but Mullen was a big party in all of those Cup wins, especially in '89. His '89 season puts him ove the hump though. He had 110 points, a first team all-star a Cup win and was a point a game in the playoffs. Roenick doesnt have that year that makes you put him over the hump like Barber ('76) or Shutt ('77)

Old
07-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus3 View Post
Mullen is already in HOF. 3 Cups 500+ goals....nuff said.

Lil' Jimmy Norton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
I'd put Andreychuk's chances as better than Roenick's.
Can we please stop pimping Andreychuk around here? He couldnt hold Roenick's hockey bag and I dont even put Roenick in the Hall. He played for over 22 years. A good goal scorer is going to hit 600 goals. Its that simple. Think back to 1991, this is the thick of his prime, does he strike fear into you? No. Do you build your defense around him? No. Is he even within 100 square miles of being considered for the Canada Cup? No. Roenick at least struck fear into you. Did you ever associate Andreychuk with "future Hall of Famer?" Never. So why now? Because he was captain of a stacked Tampa team that he had almost nothing to do with the success on the ice. Come on now people. In 1996 his last "big" year with 61 points was he considered a Hall of Famer? No.

He has woeful, and I mean woeful numbers in the playoffs. Look it up. For a guy that scored goals at a decent pace he choked come playoff time. We need to stop the madness here. Duff I think is the worst player in the Hall but I still have him in before Andreychuk. Duff at least delivered in the playoffs. And another thing, at a generally weak position at LW in 22 years Andreychuk never won an all-star selection. What's up with that? It's bad enough in the '80s he never had 100 points but no all-stars at LW? People complain about Kariya and he has 5.

Here are the names of LW players that overtook Andreychuk in his big years for all-star teams at LW: Adam Graves, Brian Bellows, Kevin Stevens etc. None are Hall material. Please lets stop promoting him as a "sure-fire Hall of Famer"

Old
07-05-2007, 03:16 PM
tmg

The fact is, Andreychuk holds the NHL record for career power play goals. The HHOF isn't about to allow the holder of that record to be unrepresented in the hall.

The HHOF established that they'll include a guy for logevity+consistency+numbers despite never being league-dominant when they put Larry Murphy in the hall. Never a Norris candidate, never a first-team all-star - just longevity, numbers, and membership on two powerhouse teams.

tmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 03:24 PM
knich

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

knich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 03:29 PM
slade

best video game player ever