HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RDS: Forsberg to Philly News

Old
07-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
RDS: Forsberg to Philly News

babelfish translation:

Quote:
Peter Forsberg is at present in Montreal with his agent Don Baizley, but is not to negotiate with Bob Gainey. Forsberg indicated that he would like to turn over to play Phildelphie, but that he is always annoyed by his wound with ankle. It hopes to be in measurement to play from here December.
http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/232206.html

i've read previously that he's suggested in other articles that he'd sign for pretty much anything at this point to make it work with wherever he ends up at (not like he hasn't made a ton of cash, plus i'm sure he has endorsements all over)... that could be a mildly ridiculous situation if he gets himself where he's feeling good and comes over for a very light contract.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 05:14 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
babelfish translation:

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/232206.html

i've read previously that he's suggested in other articles that he'd sign for pretty much anything at this point to make it work with wherever he ends up at (not like he hasn't made a ton of cash, plus i'm sure he has endorsements all over)... that could be a mildly ridiculous situation if he gets himself where he's feeling good and comes over for a very light contract.
It is tantalizing, isn't is? The dependency issue that some of his mates maybe had certainly wouldn't exist next season now that the team has a top line center. That leaves the possibility that any potential day-by-day injury prognosis could be a detriment to the club but that, too, would be diminished because of all the strong leaders now on the team. The collective psyche isn't fragile. This could be an intriguing prospect.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 05:17 PM
BringBackStevens

Bring him in half way or three quarters of the way through if things are going well

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
It is tantalizing, isn't is? The dependency issue that some of his mates maybe had certainly wouldn't exist next season now that the team has a top line center. That leaves the possibility that any potential day-by-day injury prognosis could be a detriment to the club but that, too, would be diminished because of all the strong leaders now on the team. The collective psyche isn't fragile. This could be an intriguing prospect.
I know John is strong against doing anything with Forsberg, but I think the situation is dramatically different at this point. As long as the contracts we're talking about are extremely safe (either low figure or no years) I'm all for it at this point. In truth, I could honestly see Forsberg interested in signing 1-year deals at this point.

Old
07-04-2007, 05:19 PM
Danko
...the way she goes

vCash: 420
I want em damnit.

Wait til he is fully healed and ready to go, bring him in on a 1 year contract.

Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Jester

in the event that we signed him for cheap... the amount of abuse we would have just a laid on Nashville would be absurd.

Old
07-04-2007, 05:25 PM
TheKingPin

there is no way we dont sign him for 800k we that would makes us unstoppable. common over Foppa we've missed you!

TheKingPin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 05:28 PM
FlyersProspect2

Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
The best thing might be, since we can wait until say December to sign him, we should know if Carter or Richards have stepped up. If they had, and the team is doing good, dont bother bringing Forsberg in. But if they havent and the team isnt where they should be, good for it and bring him in.

Definitely something to look forward too. However, Id rather us be doing so good by December that we wont need to bring him in.

FlyersProspect2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Golden Foppa

Quote:
in the event that we signed him for cheap... the amount of abuse we would have just a laid on Nashville would be absurd.
Nashville would officially be Philadelphia's ***** if this happens.

Golden Foppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 05:32 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersProspect2 View Post
The best thing might be, since we can wait until say December to sign him, we should know if Carter or Richards have stepped up. If they had, and the team is doing good, dont bother bringing Forsberg in. But if they havent and the team isnt where they should be, good for it and bring him in.

Definitely something to look forward too. However, Id rather us be doing so good by December that we wont need to bring him in.
ah...

if he's willing to come for cheap to play with us, i don't care what Carter and Richards have done. sign him to a cheap, 1-year deal and then i'm going to trot out something like...

Gagne-Briere-Lupul (or whatever)
Forsberg-Carter-Upshall
Hartnell-Richards-Knuble
Eager-Umberger-Kapanen (i have no idea)

Umberger would need to be traded out of necessity in this wrangling i think, but whatever. That's an extremely deep top 9... with explosive young potential.

Old
07-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Foppa View Post
Nashville would officially be Philadelphia's ***** if this happens.
i'd actually feel bad about it for a few moments.

then i'd get excited for Ryan Parent to make the club in a year.

Old
07-04-2007, 05:36 PM
runkle

I would be beyond thrilled if this were to happen.

It would take a ton of pressure off Carter to be a major point producer - him, Upshall and Umberger can just play. And it would take even more pressure off Richards - him, Kapanen and Eager can work on just playing the defense role - part of his frustration last year came from not being able to score when the whole team was struggling. If he only had to focus on defense I think he would be just fine as the checking center.

Gagne-Briere-Knuble
Hartnell-Forsberg-Lupul
Upshall-Carter-Umberger
Eager-Richards-Kapanen

Timonen-Smith
Hatcher-Coburn
Picard-Kukkonen
Jones

runkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 05:46 PM
flyersfan64*

Forsberg

Give him time until he is compltely healed. I would play him at 4th or third center until he proves he can play every day (or at least close). If he comes back and plays good even if we arent doin good we could trade him again Nashville wil;l prob be lookin for a center. He is to good when healthy to pass up. We could pay him based upon incentive laiden contract mostly on games played

flyersfan64* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Flyers Fan Forever

If we were to sign Forsberg, would that make our trade(s) with Nashville the most one-sided trade(s) ever?

It would basically be Jonathon Blum (AKA the #23 pick) for Timonen, Hartnell, Parent, Upshall, and Forsberg if you want to count him.

Flyers Fan Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Lab Monkey

sign him right before the cut off date for bringing in new guys, give him league minimum and put him on the 4th line.

Lab Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 05:55 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by richichi View Post
sign him right before the cut off date for bringing in new guys, give him league minimum and put him on the 4th line.
he's not going to be on the 4th line if he's playing. stick him on the wing where there will be less wear-and-tear and he'll be fine.

Old
07-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
he's not going to be on the 4th line if he's playing. stick him on the wing where there will be less wear-and-tear and he'll be fine.
If you can get Forsberg for 1 million and 1 year that isn't even something that requires any thought whatsoever. Put him on a wing and let him do his thing.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 06:12 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

For the love of **** people I love Forsberg but let it go. Jeez.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnightRU View Post
why? Forsberg on a cap safe deal is perfectly fine. i wouldn't sign him to 2 years 8M or something, but 1 year deals if he's interested... absolutely. this is a win now mindset by all the moves they've made... might as well do it if you're going to do it.

Old
07-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Forsberg makes great business sense if he signs a cap safe contract. It is that simple. He'll sell the **** out of those new uniforms if he plays for the Flyers and will help sell tickets. Forsberg, even hobbled, is a sight to see and will bring in the fans. Just as a purely business perspective a cheap salary is a no-brainer. And, if we are doing well half-way through the season then he may help guarantee a playoff spot. That's even more money for the team.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 07:22 PM
i am dave

This can only be talked about in hypotheticals, because it is not a reality yet. Personally, I don't want this to happen unless a few things are ensured:

-He needs to be healthy. I mean 100% healthy, not "well we'll see how he feels the day after practice" healthy.

-He needs to be signed ridiculously cheap.

-I still want cap space after all is said and done, so movement of another player for cap space is a necessity.

Pretty much, nothing that isn't said above, or hasn't been said a million times before. I'd also be interested in a "Roger Clemens" type deal, where he doesn't sign until mid-season.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnightRU View Post
Let what go? This is a brand new story, that Forsberg says he'd like to come back.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 07:42 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 552
If he wants to come back, he can come back, but he's coming back on our terms - not his.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 07:44 PM
PhillyFlyers1796

I think we have a good regular season team right now, one that can really compete. I think signing forsberg before the season is kinda risky, but if this team can pull itself together early on and prove they can win without him, then bringing him in wouldnt be a bad idea. I mean, everyones concern is his health, but if the team can win without him, it wont matter if he misses a few games....and no matter what his condition, he always brings it in the playoffs, which is when we would really need him.

I feel good with having briere as our main guy going into the season, but for the playoffs, i think we need someone more to lead the way, forsberg is the best bet.

If he wants to come back for cheap, i say go for it!

PhillyFlyers1796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 07:47 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Let what go? This is a brand new story, that Forsberg says he'd like to come back.
He's been saying for months he wants to come back. He also said he wanted to play in Sweden again. He also said he wanted to play with Naslund again. This is just people in the media constantly throwing these things out there waiting for someone to grab at it.

Its like me saying I'd like to go to Germany. I want to go, but am I going tomorrow? No. Am I going next year? Who knows. I'd like to go there, but who knows when its gonna happen if it happens. It's still a possibility.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote