HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What if Pelle Lindbergh lived?

Old
07-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Flyers Fan Forever

vCash: 500
What if Pelle Lindbergh lived?

Let's assume for a moment that Pelle Lindbergh stayed home that one night and was still alive to this day.

Do you think he would have led the Flyers to any Cups and do you think the Flyers would have been better off having had Pelle or Ron Hextall as their goalie in the late 80's and 90's?

It kind of makes you wonder...

Flyers Fan Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 07:14 PM
chthonic

There was once a creepy article on ESPN, i think around the time of the Dany Heatley incident. It was written in the present tense, all about what sports would be like if various important people hadn't died. It was written as if they were still alive and looking back at their accomplishments. Lindbergh was one of those featured. One of the most depressing things ive ever read. I cant find a link to it though

edit: here is a mirror of the text:
http://rotoguru1.com/cgi-bin/read.pl...ast=1072579578

chthonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 07:18 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
The Flyers would have never went down the hill, we would have never had Eric Lindros, and probably won a few along the way.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 07:22 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Man, I don't mean to sound like a complete jerk, but I feel like we have this thread once every couple months.

Everyone knows that we would have been absolutely set with Pelle and would have most likely won a few along the way. Just a really horrible time for the Flyers and for Pelle's family.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 07:27 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1638
When JFF started a "What if..." top ten thread involving Flyers' history a few weeks ago, this was a popular discussion. Clearly, it is pure speculation. Lindbergh was in the early stages of a blossoming career. He did struggle with inconsistency prior to Mike Keenan's arrival.

Hextall had a fiery spirit and was perfectly suited for the swagger that the Flyers invoked at that time. Lindbergh, on the other hand, was a calm, cool, collected goalie. To say he would definitely have brought a Cup to Philadelphia is something that is tough to guarantee because Hexy brought the team to a seventh game in 1987 and I doubt Lindbergh could have done better for that single year.

The previous season, 1985-86, I think is a better example to dissect and the heart says the Flyers would have gone deep and perhaps won the Cup that season. They were hitting on all cylinders at the time of his death, OK the season was still in its infancy in November, but that team was in a groove stretching from the prior campaign. The Flyers had frayed senses as that playoff happened and they eventually lost to the Rangers.

Anything after that is a guess. 1987-88, Keenan's antics wore on many players and the possibility that Lindbergh would be included with that is something to consider. Then came the massive overhaul. My opinion is that the 1985-86 season is a could have/would have that will never be answered but I wouldn't be remotely shocked if we were deprived of a third Cup.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 08:22 PM
flyersfan64*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chthonic View Post
There was once a creepy article on ESPN, i think around the time of the Dany Heatley incident. It was written in the present tense, all about what sports would be like if various important people hadn't died. It was written as if they were still alive and looking back at their accomplishments. Lindbergh was one of those featured. One of the most depressing things ive ever read. I cant find a link to it though

edit: here is a mirror of the text:
http://rotoguru1.com/cgi-bin/read.pl...ast=1072579578
I have to admit this story is kind of scary when thought about

flyersfan64* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 09:07 PM
John Flyers Fan

We win the 1986 Stanley Cup. Hextall never becomes our goalie.

I'll take an 84-85 Pelle over Hextall without a seconds hesitation.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2007, 10:16 PM
flyershistory

Here's part of a game sheet for March 13 1985

... yep - Hextall was called up for a game to serve as a backup and wore #33

So a glimpse of what might have been - Lindbergh and Hextall in a Flyers lineup together (in this case it actually did happen)

flyershistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 07:10 AM
Flyers26

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
We win the 1986 Stanley Cup. Hextall never becomes our goalie.

I'll take an 84-85 Pelle over Hextall without a seconds hesitation.
No doubt..
You could also say maybe we win a cup with Hexy, if he doesn't hold-out. He was never the same afterwards.

Flyers26 is offline   Reply With Quote