HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers take Lundqvist to Arbitration

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2007, 10:23 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Rangers take Lundqvist to Arbitration

Toskala got 4 million per year for 2 years

Does that throw a monkey wrench into the discussions between the Rangers and Henrik?

Old
07-04-2007, 10:28 PM
RangerSteve

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
I can't imagine it will. They will/should lock him up for a long time. He's done it on the ice AND from a PR standpoint he can easily be marketed. Henrik is like a rockstar playing in NY with his personality. NYR has enough cap space to afford the potential 4mil a year offer.

Old
07-04-2007, 10:30 PM
broadwayblue

oh boy.

Old
07-04-2007, 10:33 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I think he gets much closer to $5 mil a year for a long time (7-9 years).

Old
07-04-2007, 10:35 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I think he gets much closer to $5 mil a year for a long time (7-9 years).
Exactly. And that works out just fine for everyone. Next problem.

Old
07-04-2007, 10:43 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Not worried

Old
07-04-2007, 11:20 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Exactly. And that works out just fine for everyone. Next problem.
Ditto and done.

Old
07-04-2007, 11:21 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

The Rangers should offer Lundqvist 6 million a year...

I know 5 million is what he is worth because he doesn't have much leverage but getting Lundqvist signed long term has to be the next goal for this team...If Lundqvist wants too he can play the system the next two years make 3.5 to 4.5 million a year (not chump change) and become a UFA... I know he says he loves NYC and I'm sure he does (how could he not?) but there are other great cities in North America...This is the cornerstone of the franchise for the next generation you can't let this get go to arbitration and you can't let this go on going into camp...

The funny thing is...Last season Charles Wang gave DP that 15 year contract...Who didn't mock it?? Now I'm not saying I'd sign Lundqvist to a 15 year contract after just one season but after 2 seasons?? maybe...especially at the same term $ DP signed for..

If I'm Sather i'd offer Lundqvist 10 years 60 million.....I don't even think it's a risky contract...In reality i don't even think it's overpayment..

Old
07-04-2007, 11:26 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Give him 15years/70 mil I say

Old
07-04-2007, 11:27 PM
ThirdEye

Man, I hope something is worked out soon. I know he probably won't be going anywhere but just thinking about it makes me queezy. SIGN HIM ALREADY, kthnxbye

Old
07-04-2007, 11:27 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I think Sather could get away with offering him $5 mil using the DP signing as a precedent... Also, Lundy is YOUNG... one could argue that despite his stellar play, he's not necessarily entitled to such a high salary at such a young age as a RFA... So by offering him $5 mil a year NOW, he should concede that contract amount instead of us paying him $2-4 mil on a short term contract and him re-upping later down the road...

Old
07-04-2007, 11:33 PM
broadwayblue

I agree that we should just lock the King up long term. Like SOS suggests, I'd have no problem with a 10 year deal at 55m to 60m. While that might be a slight overpayment now, it's hard to believe he won't be worth more than 6m/year if/when he were to hit the open market in a couple years. The only problem with that deal is we probably need to clear an extra million to make it happen this year.

Old
07-04-2007, 11:35 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Man, I hope something is worked out soon. I know he probably won't be going anywhere but just thinking about it makes me queezy. SIGN HIM ALREADY, kthnxbye
Thats how I feel. I don't think he will go anywhere but I'm a little uneasy about it.

Old
07-05-2007, 01:00 AM
theduke35

i read on blueshirtsbulletin.com that the rangers are looking to sign lundqvist to a normal contract of prob 4years worth $5 million but ive heard that lundqvist is ok with that price tag but wants to be locked up for 7 years..i dont see why sather wouldnt say ok to this. What i think is that maybe he doesnt want to lock up lundqvist to a longterm deal because he may think that montoya has a very good chance of making this team and being better than lundqvist. i just want him signed already without him our team and all these signings are useless.

Old
07-05-2007, 01:04 AM
SML

You guys are all hopping on with these crazy long term deals. Wait till one of these guys who gets one of them gets injured, and can't play to their current level anymore. How many would have "locked" Danny Blackburn up? Would he have been a bad guy if he had a 10 year deal to milk the Rangers for the remaining 7 years by showing up and putting the uniform on? How many of you guys would "do the right thing" and retire to relieve the Rangers of their cap hit if they owed you 5 million a year for that long and you couldn't perform to your previous level? We're witnessing the first wave of these long term contracts, but somebody's going to get the ugly end of the stick somewhere. What's to keep a DiPietro or Gomez to simply refuse to come to camp in year 6 or so when they are tremendously underpaid? Nothing, that's what. And if you don't think it's going ot happen to somebody, you're crazy. Don't you think the Habs could have "locked" Theodore up the year after he won the Vezina? How would that have worked out looking back now? Lundqvist is a great goalie right now. Nobody knows how long he'll continue to be that great. To forecast it out 8 or 10 years is an awful big assumption that everything is going to be just ducky the whole way from here on. Maybe I'm a cynical *******, but things don't always work out that way. It can happen to us... Henrik likes it here. We pay him fairly, treat him right, and hopefully, he doesn't bolt at the first dollar signs thrown at him. 29 other teams find a way to cope when their home grown franchise players pack it up and move away. It won't be the end of the franchise if it happens to us. What will feel like the end of the franchise if if we cripple ourselves by signing all these players to mega long term deals and something goes wrong. The more we have the better chance it's going to happen. Imagine if we're stuck with 4 or five guys with giant contracts and now we can't afford to keep the Staals, Cherepanovs, Sanguinetti's we bring up as they leave for greener pastures. I'd stick to 4 year deals. It keeps everybody honest, and it doesn't leave you standing there holding a boat anchor if it goes wrong.

Old
07-05-2007, 01:05 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduke35 View Post
What i think is that maybe he doesnt want to lock up lundqvist to a longterm deal because he may think that montoya has a very good chance of making this team and being better than lundqvist. i just want him signed already without him our team and all these signings are useless.
Believe me, that's not what he thinks. A goalie like Lundqvist comes around one in a hundred, do you honestly believe Sather is going to take a chance with Montoya for no reason whatsoever? Makes little sense

Old
07-05-2007, 03:21 AM
Pogo

I'm betting Ashley is having multiple anxiety attacks until this situation is resolved...

Old
07-05-2007, 05:24 AM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
You guys are all hopping on with these crazy long term deals. Wait till one of these guys who gets one of them gets injured, and can't play to their current level anymore. How many would have "locked" Danny Blackburn up? Would he have been a bad guy if he had a 10 year deal to milk the Rangers for the remaining 7 years by showing up and putting the uniform on? How many of you guys would "do the right thing" and retire to relieve the Rangers of their cap hit if they owed you 5 million a year for that long and you couldn't perform to your previous level? We're witnessing the first wave of these long term contracts, but somebody's going to get the ugly end of the stick somewhere. What's to keep a DiPietro or Gomez to simply refuse to come to camp in year 6 or so when they are tremendously underpaid? Nothing, that's what. And if you don't think it's going ot happen to somebody, you're crazy. Don't you think the Habs could have "locked" Theodore up the year after he won the Vezina? How would that have worked out looking back now? Lundqvist is a great goalie right now. Nobody knows how long he'll continue to be that great. To forecast it out 8 or 10 years is an awful big assumption that everything is going to be just ducky the whole way from here on. Maybe I'm a cynical *******, but things don't always work out that way. It can happen to us... Henrik likes it here. We pay him fairly, treat him right, and hopefully, he doesn't bolt at the first dollar signs thrown at him. 29 other teams find a way to cope when their home grown franchise players pack it up and move away. It won't be the end of the franchise if it happens to us. What will feel like the end of the franchise if if we cripple ourselves by signing all these players to mega long term deals and something goes wrong. The more we have the better chance it's going to happen. Imagine if we're stuck with 4 or five guys with giant contracts and now we can't afford to keep the Staals, Cherepanovs, Sanguinetti's we bring up as they leave for greener pastures. I'd stick to 4 year deals. It keeps everybody honest, and it doesn't leave you standing there holding a boat anchor if it goes wrong.
Id lock him up at 7 years 5-6 million a year right now. He is the fourth best goalie in the NHL right now and I believe his game will go to the next level. We cant take a chance on Henrik hitting the open market in a couple of years. He may love NY, but I dont want him coerced by the Benjamins'.

Old
07-05-2007, 05:41 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
we should have made sure we had lundy under wraps before going out and spending silly money on Gomez!

Agree we need to do a career signing (like Brodeur)

As long as he doesn't develop a Blackburn syndrome it is a safe bet!

Old
07-05-2007, 06:12 AM
puckstopper55

Send a message via AIM to puckstopper55
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Id lock him up at 7 years 5-6 million a year right now. He is the fourth best goalie in the NHL right now and I believe his game will go to the next level. We cant take a chance on Henrik hitting the open market in a couple of years. He may love NY, but I dont want him coerced by the Benjamins'.
How can you say he is the 4th best? I think he is a great goalie, i would even put him just above Dipi, but you cant tell me you honestly consider him better then Brodour, Luango, Kipper, Hasek, Vokoun, Giggy, or Miller. I would consider him in the ranks of Dipi, Nabakov, Turco as a great goalie, better then most, but i dont think he has quiet earned the "elite" tag just yet. He has been known to be a tad streaky, and i think that is what seperates the "elite" from the above average.

I also think that the rangers, as with the islanders, over inflate their goalies "teir" because we both have struggeled to get a good consistant goalie since Richter, and for the isles since ... um ... Healy, or Smith?

Old
07-05-2007, 06:27 AM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Well said...

Quote:
Pogo: I'm betting Ashley is having multiple anxiety attacks until this situation is resolved...

Moi? (Not sure if there is another one around here...)

Old
07-05-2007, 06:42 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

What troubles?The Toskala extensions kicks in for 2008-09 when Toskala was scheduled to be a group III.Lundqvist is a group II who is two years away from group III FA but he wanted to be treated like a group III right now.Other group II goalies did not group III money when they were group II's.The standard is 3/$8 million for group II goalies-Ryan Miller and Cam Ward money.Ray Emery wants between $2.5-$3 million in his new deal

Old
07-05-2007, 06:49 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
You guys are all hopping on with these crazy long term deals. Wait till one of these guys who gets one of them gets injured, and can't play to their current level anymore. How many would have "locked" Danny Blackburn up?
I'm pretty sure players on the longterm IR and those who retire don't have their salaries count towards the cap, so that's not a problem. Unless the player you signed is over 35 and your name is Lou.

Quote:
What's to keep a DiPietro or Gomez to simply refuse to come to camp in year 6 or so when they are tremendously underpaid?
Nothing, that's what.
Umm, then they don't get paid, don't play hockey, and don't count against the cap? That's what.

At any rate, it's only July here folks. Let's not get too worried about RFA's and all that right now. There's plenty of time to sign, no need to rush, and all the talk about offer sheets is pretty much bunk. There's some talk about it every year and nothing really major goes on because no one wants to blow 4 first round picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckstopper55 View Post
How can you say he is the 4th best? I think he is a great goalie, i would even put him just above Dipi, but you cant tell me you honestly consider him better then Brodour, Luango, Kipper, Hasek, Vokoun, Giggy, or Miller. I would consider him in the ranks of Dipi, Nabakov, Turco as a great goalie, better then most, but i dont think he has quiet earned the "elite" tag just yet.
I'd say he's better than Hasek and Vokoun, easily. I don't really like Vokoun a lot. He's better talent wise than Giguire, but Giguire has had some good teams to play on and is really solid positionally. Make him have to move, though, and Lundqvist has him beat easily. Miller and Lundqvist are close and I see no reason to put Miller above Lundqvist at all.

Quote:
I also think that the rangers, as with the islanders, over inflate their goalies "teir" because we both have struggeled to get a good consistant goalie since Richter, and for the isles since ... um ... Healy, or Smith?
Can't say I agree with this. There's a reason Lundqvist was nominated for two Vezinas in a row. If not for the Olympics (though I'm sure Lundqvist isn't complaining) and a nagging hip injury, he could have won it in his first year in the NHL, and would have stood a much better chance of going someplace in the playoffs that year. And yeah, he started out last year a little rough, but finished the second half of the season as the best goalie in the NHL, bar none. I think he has to continue to play well and really put in a solid season from start to finish this year, but I also think he's proven that he can easily be one of the elite goalies in the league.

Same for DiPietro really. I don't like the guy, but I've been saying for years that he has a ton of talent and will definitely be the next "great American goalie". He's started to find his consistency and is definitely one of the top goalies around.

Last edited by Levitate: 07-05-2007 at 06:57 AM.
Old
07-05-2007, 06:51 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
I really wish that Lundqvist would just sign already. Not because I'm worried about it, but so this board can stop obsessing over every goalie contract that comes down and every GM that shoots his mouth off about an offer sheet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckstopper55
How can you say he is the 4th best? I think he is a great goalie, i would even put him just above Dipi, but you cant tell me you honestly consider him better then Brodour, Luango, Kipper, Hasek, Vokoun, Giggy, or Miller. I would consider him in the ranks of Dipi, Nabakov, Turco as a great goalie, better then most, but i dont think he has quiet earned the "elite" tag just yet. He has been known to be a tad streaky, and i think that is what seperates the "elite" from the above average.

Brodeur, Luongo, and Kiprusoff? Not really, though Kipper may be arguable.

Hasek, Vokoun, Giguere, and Miller? Absolutely, and it's not just us. The NHL GMs seem to agree (re: Vezina voting).

Old
07-05-2007, 07:17 AM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckstopper55 View Post

Lundquist>Hasek, Vokoun, Giggy and Miller.

He is 25 y.o. The best low goalie in the world. Brodeur game goes downhill.
He will be the best in 2 yr. Just sign him long term. I will take the chance of injury.
Lundquist is our most important player.

PS. Do not trade Monty until Henrik is locked up Long Term.

Closed Thread