HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Doug Weight's Dirty

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2003, 07:39 PM
topshelf331

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Doug wieght just plays gritty. He is no more dirty than probably 90 % of the league. This is rediculous.

Last edited by topshelf331: 12-30-2003 at 07:42 PM.
Old
12-30-2003, 07:42 PM
blah

Right, he was gritty enough to crap himself once he realized he was tugging at Brashear. Out of all the Flyers he could've taken a shot at he chose Gange. He's not gritty he's a *****.

Last edited by Sotnos: 12-30-2003 at 07:49 PM.
Old
12-30-2003, 07:44 PM
Nikkowar

Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
Well,since this is about Simon Gagné,I must put my two cents in.

If i were sitting on the Flyers,I would have beheaded Weight for what he did to Simon. Simon did have his head up,in fact,like others have said,he tried to move out of Doug's way. Doug did swing his elbow at Simon in an attempt to hurt. Maybe he knew that Simon was 'Injury prone'*rolleyes*

Old
12-30-2003, 07:49 PM
topshelf331

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
Right, he was gritty enough to crap himself once he realized he was tugging at Brashear. Out of all the Flyers he could've taken a shot at he chose Gange. He's not gritty he's a *****.
Brashear would have nothing to do with weight. Where are you geting that he crapped his pants. Brash turned down weight , not the other way around.

By the way, suprise , suprise a canuck fan started this thread.

What happened to philly being tough? I didnt notice. Primeau didnt want to fight anyone but danton after bear took care of him. And actually he wouldnt even do that.

Old
12-30-2003, 07:49 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
Brashear will make some BS claim that "he didn't need to fight" because they were winning, which of course ignores the fact that he tried to go with a guy he knew he could beat as the game ended.
That would be Noted Heavyweight Jamal Mayers. Brash's gloves came off lightning quick there. WTF.

Old
12-30-2003, 07:53 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf331
Brashear would have nothing to do with weight. Where are you geting that he crapped his pants. Brash turned down weight , not the other way around.

By the way, suprise , suprise a canuck fan started this thread.

What happened to philly being tough? I didnt notice. Primeau didnt want to fight anyone but danton after bear took care of him. And actually he wouldnt even do that.
The Blues got owned in their building in every aspect of the game. Quit being stupid.

Old
12-30-2003, 07:53 PM
c-carp

I am just going to say one more thing on this Doug Weight elbow Subject. Sure it was a dirty play, Bit I wonder if lets say Jeremy Roenick has ever threw an elbow. This is a contact game and suprise dirty stuff happens some time. Two of the best players ever named Messier and Howe especially Gordie had world class elbows. This whole thread is getting stupid. It was a physical game and I enjoyed it even though the Blues lost.

Old
12-30-2003, 08:01 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Loose Cannon
He does. He swings 'em when the guy he is fighting is under 6 feet, but turns into huggy bear against the Worrell's and Laraque's of the league.
I know he does, I was being VERY sarcastic.

Old
12-30-2003, 08:01 PM
topshelf331

Quote:
The Blues got owned in their building in every aspect of the game. Quit being stupid.
Not every aspect. But the game would have been closer if we had some qualtiy goaltending.

Old
12-30-2003, 08:08 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf331
Not every aspect. But the game would have been closer if we had some qualtiy goaltending.
The Flyers looked worlds better the entire game. StL was very undisciplined, Weight, Drake, etc.

Old
12-30-2003, 08:13 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Yeah b/c Brashear couldn't beat Yablonski. Yabo really established himself by destroying Fedoruk.
I would say dont judge the kid on one crap fight. Fridge didnt exactly tool Yablonski either. Also if Brash could have beat him easily why duck him all night. Again if hes the heavyweight champ of the NHL im an astronaut. His BS tonight was pathetic.

Old
12-30-2003, 08:17 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
I would say dont judge the kid on one crap fight. Fridge didnt exactly tool Yablonski either. Also if Brash could have beat him easily why duck him all night. Again if hes the heavyweight champ of the NHL im an astronaut. His BS tonight was pathetic.
Quote:
I'd give Fridge the first half then Yabo took over. I expected a better fight from those two, but it looked like neither wanted to risk further injury, which is understandable.
xx

Old
12-30-2003, 08:18 PM
topshelf331

Quote:
The Flyers looked worlds better the entire game. StL was very undisciplined, Weight, Drake, etc.
They looked better , but not 5 goals better. We let in too many softies.
We werent bad for missing demitra,cajanek, boguniecki, osgood, jackman, walker, backman(most of the game), and i would say macinnis, but i dont expect him back this season if at all.

Old
12-30-2003, 08:29 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

St. Louis has always been an undisciplined team. It was nice to see them pay for it tonight.

I couldn't believe they left Weight in the game.

Old
12-30-2003, 08:29 PM
paxtang

C Carp, you of all people know Brash's deal. He isn't scared of Yab, but you and I and anyone else who follows hockey fights knew there was probably no way he was going to fight him. Its crap, he is a spot picker, but that's his deal. He can still beat pretty much anyone in the league.

The Weight hit was flat out dirty. I don't mind that stuff as long as you are willing to back it up, and I don't think Weight is willing ot back that stuff up. But I was more mad noone on the Flyers beat him down.

Baron didn't tune Prims. He caught him once and the a good deal of the rest of those punches missed. Draw at best for Baron, who got it later from Fedoruk, the Flyer's real enforcer.

I enjoyed the game, it was fun to see two teams play that don't like each other, the only thing i would have enjoyed more was to see Weight get destroyed.

Old
12-30-2003, 08:32 PM
blah

After this game I'm rooting for a Blues-Flyers final.

Old
12-30-2003, 08:37 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
I am just going to say one more thing on this Doug Weight elbow Subject. Sure it was a dirty play, Bit I wonder if lets say Jeremy Roenick has ever threw an elbow. This is a contact game and suprise dirty stuff happens some time. Two of the best players ever named Messier and Howe especially Gordie had world class elbows. This whole thread is getting stupid. It was a physical game and I enjoyed it even though the Blues lost.
Sorry I don't buy the "tough game" routine on plays like that. Weight pratically had to lunge forward to make sure he made contact with Gagne. He made damn sure the elbow connected square to Gagne's face. "Getting your elbow up on a hit" and "Connecting to the guys face with JUST your elbow while the rest of your bodies don't even make contact" are QUITE different. I agree elbows are going to come up every once in awhile...players will turn awkwardly into the boards making hits looks exceedingly dirty...this play, IMO, was not of that variety. Leading with elbow pointed at a guy's head? If Gagne was knocked out on the play with a big concussion-would you still feel the same way? Luckily Gagne was able to keep playing. But wow, that was easily worse then the Sedin cross-check, where I was willing to cut Weight some slack as it appeared somewhat accidental.

Old
12-30-2003, 09:06 PM
Mike8

Quote:
I like Weight, and I agree that in a sport as physical as hockey that some cheapshots will happen. I'm a big fan of physical play. But I think plays like Weight's need to be removed from the game. To me it looked like Weight was looking to take cheapshots out of frustration all night.

An elbow like that to a player's head can easily result in a concussion, which can also easily end or hinder a player's career. Last night, Savard elbowed Koivu to the head in a carbon-copy play. Koivu's out with a concussion.

It's not good for the players, and not good for the game. I hope Weight gets suspended for it because shots to the head are one thing I wouldn't take lightly.

Old
12-30-2003, 09:10 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
C Carp, you of all people know Brash's deal. He isn't scared of Yab, but you and I and anyone else who follows hockey fights knew there was probably no way he was going to fight him. Its crap, he is a spot picker, but that's his deal. He can still beat pretty much anyone in the league.

The Weight hit was flat out dirty. I don't mind that stuff as long as you are willing to back it up, and I don't think Weight is willing ot back that stuff up. But I was more mad noone on the Flyers beat him down.

Baron didn't tune Prims. He caught him once and the a good deal of the rest of those punches missed. Draw at best for Baron, who got it later from Fedoruk, the Flyer's real enforcer.

I enjoyed the game, it was fun to see two teams play that don't like each other, the only thing i would have enjoyed more was to see Weight get destroyed.
I agree that Brash is good, I just hated that he wouldnt give the kid a shot and dropped the gloves vs Mayers. Also I dont recall saying that Baron Tuned Primeau. He isnt a real good scrapper he did show balls by showing up.

Old
12-30-2003, 10:02 PM
blah

Brash not dropping them does get annoying b/c everybody knows he can fight and wants to see him go. But what does he get out of fighting Yablonski?

Old
12-30-2003, 10:11 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Brash not dropping them does get annoying b/c everybody knows he can fight and wants to see him go. But what does he get out of fighting Yablonski?
Keeps Yablonski from going after someone else. After Brashear turned him down a few times you could see that Yablonski was quite visibly trying to get Primeau to fight with him. Nothing came of it, but if a scrum had erupted or something he probably would have gone after Primeau, and possibly injured him (Primeau certainly didn't look great in his first fight against Baron, who's not even all that good a fighter).

Brashear did that sort of thing towards the end of his tenure in Vancouver as well; in particular he repeatedly refused to fight Parker one night when the Canucks were beating the Avs by a fair margin; end result, Parker ends up going after Jovanovski instead. Brashear needs to stop thinking he's a valuable scorer (especially on a team stacked with forward depth like Philly) and remember his role.

Old
12-30-2003, 10:11 PM
c-carp

Quote:
I just look at it this way when he broke into the league, some name heavy gave him his shot to establish himself. So to me it figures that if he wasnt injured he should have gave yablonski the same shot. If he was injured why did he drop em so quick with Mayers. If you are going to play the enforcer role play it simple as that.

Old
12-30-2003, 10:12 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn
Keeps Yablonski from going after someone else. After Brashear turned him down a few times you could see that Yablonski was quite visibly trying to get Primeau to fight with him. Nothing came of it, but if a scrum had erupted or something he probably would have gone after Primeau, and possibly injured him (Primeau certainly didn't look great in his first fight against Baron, who's not even all that good a fighter).

Brashear did that sort of thing towards the end of his tenure in Vancouver as well; in particular he repeatedly refused to fight Parker one night when the Canucks were beating the Avs by a fair margin; end result, Parker ends up going after Jovanovski instead. Brashear needs to stop thinking he's a valuable scorer (especially on a team stacked with forward depth like Philly) and remember his role.
100% correct bro.

Old
12-30-2003, 10:38 PM
SouthFlyer82

Quote:
I'd give Fridge the first half then Yabo took over. I expected a better fight from those two, but it looked like neither wanted to risk further injury, which is understandable.

This is alsos Fedoruks first fight since he broke his jaw a few weeks back, I am not even sure if he has been clear to fight yet.

Old
12-30-2003, 10:50 PM
topshelf331

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFlyer82
This is alsos Fedoruks first fight since he broke his jaw a few weeks back, I am not even sure if he has been clear to fight yet.
They said on the blues radio cast (several times) that he was told he wasnt allowed to fight. My hat goes off to him, thats ballsy. He shouldnt have had to of fought though. Brashears should have been the guy sticking up for his teamates, not primeau and fedoruk with his jaw. If i was fedoruk , id be all over brashears in the lockeroom. I mean he isnt paid 2.25 million to score goals. So do you think clarke will keep him around after his contract is up? With the CBA coming up and paycuts coming one way or another, enforcer would probably be one of the most affected roles paywise.

Closed Thread