HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Doug Weight's Dirty

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-31-2003, 09:05 AM
  #76
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKordicsFist
Older players are smarter than just going out gooning it up. Brashear actually has a little game and I'm sure after seeing Yablonski's face he didn't feel the need to mess it up any more. Brashear fights when necessary. Giving a young punk a shot is not his game, he generally needs to be angry. And as for the huggy bear comment, he is one of the best in close guys in the league. Both players get hugging and he has a powerful short punch that he uses effectively.

Fedoruk gave him a shot and it was obvious by the way they separated. No anger, just a shot like Rob Ray did for him. Help a young guy get noticed.

Doug Weight probably wouldn't have his own dirty player thread if not for the Sedin cross check, which I can't see how anyone thought that was even close to accidental. The Blues were playing a dirty game out there, That piece of crap Danton was slew footing guys and cross checking ALL night. There were guys trying to run at Pitkanen because he's a rookie and seemed like a nice soft European target. The crying at the end of the game that Mellanby was doing was just pathetic. They lost because they chose to play dirty. If he was angry about running up the score that is even funnier. Pathetic display of poor sportsmanship. I hope that isn't how they play all the time, or react to losing. Just sad to see grown men reacting like that.
Give it a rest with the Brash has game so he doesnt have to do it and yablonski's face was messed up, so he didnt need to mess it up any more. Anyone that is an enforcer on any level has had a black eye and facial cuts if they havent they have been fighting bums because how many good fights are one way streets? I am not going to argue that Brash is very good at what he does he is one of the top guys, but I have a question for you I dont know who his first NHL fight was with in Montreal and I dont care but when he ws trying to establish himself someone had to give him his shot, he should have done the same? Also dont give me any of that Fridge fought him so whats the big deal crap. Donald is a spot picker we all know that but he should have fought the kid end of story?

c-carp is offline  
Old
12-31-2003, 09:05 AM
  #77
dragonwyck
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
I bet next you'll tell me you have 2 sets of eyes, and they can cross and see out of both corners simultaneously.
Nope.

Only one set of eyes here.

Which is A-OK becuase there's no need to have two sets of eyes.

I never once said I saw every little thing going on on the ice.

What I said was that there was plenty of stickwork by Philly players going on behind the play.

The other thing I said was that there were plenty of elbows up on hits by Philly players.

Maybe you would have, but I did not need two sets of eyes to see these things.

I also never said that any Blues player was high class.

You are the one that likes to your team is innocent.

I know 'my' team is not.

Good job with the name calling though.

I guess that makes you high class too.

 
Old
12-31-2003, 09:08 AM
  #78
Waveburner
RIP Luc
 
Waveburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In Morrison's house.
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
Yet another thread where a St.Louis player is the devil incarnate. What a shocker. I'm sure the Flyers will send a letter to the league, and due process will be carried out. Then we can enjoy a few days of whining by Vancouver fans (who have nothing to do with this situation) about how the suspension (if he even gets one) is insufficient. Whatever. This is quick paced, physical game based on emotion. Things happen that shouldn't, and there are repurcussions. Next time the Blues and Flyers meet, which can only be in the Finals, maybe someone will stand up and take care of Weight in a manner that Hockey's Future regulars see fit. Until then, quit your belly aching and move on. After all, the Flyers did kill the Blues, and points are the most important thing.
So, apparently posters are no longer allowed to offer up opinions on games that don't involve their favourite teams? Thanks for the heads up.

Waveburner is offline  
Old
12-31-2003, 09:12 AM
  #79
dragonwyck
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
I'm going to go out on a limb here... I think his point was that Canucks fans like to whine about things that Blues players do. Just a hunch...

 
Old
12-31-2003, 09:15 AM
  #80
Waveburner
RIP Luc
 
Waveburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In Morrison's house.
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonwyck
I'm going to go out on a limb here... I think his point was that Canucks fans like to whine about things that Blues players do. Just a hunch...
And what a wonderful way to gloss over someone's opinion by branding it "whining". Ahh such a convincing way of make a point. If only all our posters were so articulate...

Waveburner is offline  
Old
12-31-2003, 09:23 AM
  #81
blah
Registered User
 
blah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
there's no need to have two sets of eyes.
-I'd disagree in your case.

I never once said I saw every little thing going on on the ice.
-No but you did say you see more than cameras do.

What I said was that there was plenty of stickwork by Philly players going on behind the play.
-No halos around the heads of any Blues players.

The other thing I said was that there were plenty of elbows up on hits by Philly players.
-I agree, in fact I saw numerous occasions of Flyers intentionally elbowing Blues players in the face. The StL player would try avoid a Flyer and then another Flyer would come over and stick a bow out. Real dirty stuff.

I also never said that any Blues player was high class.
-If Brashear is an embarrassment then what do you call players like Weight?

You are the one that likes to your team is innocent.
-huh?

I know 'my' team is not.
-So does everybody else who watched that game.

Good job with the name calling though.
I guess that makes you high class too.
-Thanks, I try, glad to see it's noticed and appreciated.

blah is offline  
Old
12-31-2003, 09:47 AM
  #82
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by easton122
I wanted to see a Flyer detroy Weight after that elbow was blatanty thrown at Gagne's head. I don't really get pissed at players when they have "big hits" against the Flyers but there were too many borderline penalties not called in that game. Too bad these teams won't play again because the next game will be a blood bath. I could see Berube getting a call up We should make sure Jimmy Vandermeer is play meanwhile also.

Brashear rarely fights young guys. I mean I was suprised he fought Godard early in the year but I guess Brashear did his research and realized Godard deserved a shot. Yablonski didn't in Brashears mind but in no way can you Blues fans turn it around that Brashear was afraid to fight Yablonski cause that is just ridiculous. Your tough guy wasn't "good" enough get over it and stop crying. I actually liked the Blues as a team up until tonight when I saw the pathetic antics displayed by Weight, Tkachuk, Mellanby, and Drake.
You are a Flyer fan I presume, just a couple of things. Brash is a spot picker plain and simple. I am not doubting his talent but the way you guys rationalise his spot picking is BS. Bob Probert another tough guy probably the best ever, You may know the name he had some playing ability also. He had 29 goals made the all-star team and still led the league with 398 PIM's in 1987-88, Ithink that qualifies as being able to play. I am sure he turned down lots of fighters because they werent in his class. Yeah right he did his main job which was enforcing because that is how its suppost to be done. Brash has all of 4 goals counting the one last night and he thinks he is a Power Forward and that is BS.

Just a couple of more things, you used Craig Berube's name in your post. Again I presume you are a Flyers fan. 2 of his earlier NHL fights maybe his first 2 were with Lyndon Byers and Jay Miller. Lets just say he didnt do good, he did far worse than Yabo did last night. Point being judging a man's career on one fight like you are trying to do in your post is just stupid. None of us have any idea how good of an NHL enforcer Yabo is going to be.

Just one more thing, If you have ever read The "Ultimate Bad Boys" By Stan Fischler. A colection of interviews with NHL enforcers. (there are 4 volumes, Brash's interview was in the 4th one.) He says the 1st NHL battle that sticks out in his mind was when he played for the canadiens and it was against none other that Bob Probert. If you have seen any of Brash's earlier fights, lets just say he has gotten better with age. Its a good thing Probie didnt think like Brash because using Brash's logic Probie would have said "This kid isnt good enough I am not wasting my time with him." what did Probie do, exactly what enforcers are suppost to do he dropped the gloves.

Rationalising Brash's spot picking is just stupid any way you look at it.

c-carp is offline  
Old
12-31-2003, 09:47 AM
  #83
dragonwyck
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
I never once said I saw every little thing going on on the ice.
-No but you did say you see more than cameras do.
Thank you for letting me know rather quickly that I was wasting my time with you. If you aren't aware that you can see more of the game when actually in attendence than on TV, then you're either extremely new to this sport or have never once attended a hockey game.

Have a good New Year.

Go Blues.

Too bad it wasn't Brashear.

 
Old
12-31-2003, 09:52 AM
  #84
ehc73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,943
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
I wonder if Grapes is going to start something on this in Coach's Corner. Last week he spouted about "Team Toughness" and how guys were getting punished for "doing the right thing"(ie going after a guy on the other team who decides to run one of your skilled players).
I'm actually quite surprised no one on the Flyers even attempted to go after Weight for that hit. Seems it being "dirty" is a matter of opinion in this thread(IMO, it was, but then some posters would probably just say I'm biased because I'm a Canucks fan ), but dirty or not, a hit like that warrants SOME kind of response. Especially since it's against a guy who's not noted for his "toughness".
I think some of the Blues players were kind of steamed about Hitchcock leaving his top PP unit out there with under a minute left on a 5-on-3. I mean, honestly, the score is 7-2...is it really that necessary to rack up more PP goals? I thought it was sort of an unwritten law that when the score is that lopsided, you put out the grinders...even if you ARE on a power play. Sure, I guess some may argue that Philly was trying to get Recchi the hat trick goal, but that's kind of a weak argument when in a 7-2 game.
The Blues have had a discipline problem though this year. Colin Campbell has seen their tapes a wee bit too much. Score got away from them and the rest of the penalties were likely just out of frustration. After that first period and only being up 1-0, they probably felt they should've been up a lot more. But with 5 PP goals against, they need to go back to the drawing board on the PK. Can't blame it all on the goaltender, most were no chance for him and it was the third stringer. Bad game for Osgood to be on the injured shelf, that's for sure.

Do the Blues and Flyers play again this season? Because if they do, it's going to be a very entertaining game. Teams have long memories, and some Flyer's definitely noted down #39 on their paper...some Blue has probably noted down #87 too.

ehc73 is offline  
Old
12-31-2003, 09:52 AM
  #85
blah
Registered User
 
blah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonwyck
Thank you for letting me know rather quickly that I was wasting my time with you. If you aren't aware that you can see more of the game when actually in attendence than on TV, then you're either extremely new to this sport or have never once attended a hockey game.

Have a good New Year.

Go Blues.

Too bad it wasn't Brashear.
lol! You've taken enough abuse cupcake, it's ok.

blah is offline  
Old
12-31-2003, 09:55 AM
  #86
blah
Registered User
 
blah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
I think some of the Blues players were kind of steamed about Hitchcock leaving his top PP unit out there with under a minute left on a 5-on-3. I mean, honestly, the score is 7-2...is it really that necessary to rack up more PP goals? I thought it was sort of an unwritten law that when the score is that lopsided, you put out the grinders...even if you ARE on a power play. Sure, I guess some may argue that Philly was trying to get Recchi the hat trick goal, but that's kind of a weak argument when in a 7-2 game.
Keith Primeau and Donald Brashear are not on the Flyers top PP unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
The Blues have had a discipline problem though this year. Colin Campbell has seen their tapes a wee bit too much. Score got away from them and the rest of the penalties were likely just out of frustration. After that first period and only being up 1-0, they probably felt they should've been up a lot more. But with 5 PP goals against, they need to go back to the drawing board on the PK. Can't blame it all on the goaltender, most were no chance for him and it was the third stringer. Bad game for Osgood to be on the injured shelf, that's for sure.

Do the Blues and Flyers play again this season? Because if they do, it's going to be a very entertaining game. Teams have long memories, and some Flyer's definitely noted down #39 on their paper...some Blue has probably noted down #87 too.
Lot of softies got past. Quenville looked like he was about to have a stroke after the Pitkanen goal and couldn't get Divis in there fast enough.

Sadly, they don't play again.

blah is offline  
Old
12-31-2003, 09:58 AM
  #87
ehc73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,943
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
Keith Primeau and Donald Brashear are not on the Flyers top PP unit.
My mistake, I thought I saw Tony Amonte out there cycling the puck with Recchi.

ehc73 is offline  
Old
12-31-2003, 09:58 AM
  #88
dragonwyck
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
lol! You've taken enough abuse cupcake, it's ok.
Insult #2.

Glad to see you're a quality contributor to HFBoards.com.

Just to let you know, I'm still laughing at the fact that you didn't know and probably still don't that you get to see much more of what goes on the ice when you are actually in the arena.

 
Old
12-31-2003, 10:17 AM
  #89
blah
Registered User
 
blah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonwyck
Insult #2.

Glad to see you're a quality contributor to HFBoards.com.

Just to let you know, I'm still laughing at the fact that you didn't know and probably still don't that you get to see much more of what goes on the ice when you are actually in the arena.
The fact that you felt you needed to bring something up that was common knowledge really means nothing.

Your attempts at justifying what Weight did by saying the Flyers also had some elbows up on hits should be beneath any decent human being. It was blatant and anybody who even attempts to make a case that it was accidental is a moron. Calling him gritty also does not let him off the hook for a cheap shot on a player who doesn't fight.

Furthermore, if calling Brashear an embarrassment is all you can come up with after paying to see your team get beat 7-2 at home, and witnessing in person one of your best players drill an opposing player in the face with an elbow on purpose is just sad.

You're a much bigger embarrassment to this board than Brashear, who I don't think is an embarrasment, is to the NHL.

blah is offline  
Old
12-31-2003, 10:19 AM
  #90
paxtang
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonwyck
Insult #2.

Glad to see you're a quality contributor to HFBoards.com.

Just to let you know, I'm still laughing at the fact that you didn't know and probably still don't that you get to see much more of what goes on the ice when you are actually in the arena.
I don't think anyone is insinuating that both teams didn't have their fair share of "dirty" plays. Every play in every game has probably at least one slash, crosscheck, or elbow in it. The start of this thread, however, was on the Weight hit. That was a deliberate attempt to injure Gagne. Watch a clip of it and tell me that that wasn't an attempt to knock him out. As much as that hit made me mad, however, what made me more mad was nothign was done about it by the Flyers. I don't think the Blues are a dirty team, I don't mind their style of play. That elbow WAS over the line, however. You have to admit that.

paxtang is offline  
Old
12-31-2003, 10:22 AM
  #91
blah
Registered User
 
blah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
That elbow WAS over the line, however. You have to admit that.
Dragon won't though b/c Brashear is a spot picker.

blah is offline  
Old
12-31-2003, 11:00 AM
  #92
topshelf331
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Stl
Country: United States
Posts: 2,198
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Elbows happen constantly. This is way overblown.

topshelf331 is offline  
Old
12-31-2003, 11:23 AM
  #93
dragonwyck
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
The fact that you felt you needed to bring something up that was common knowledge really means nothing.
What did I bring up that was common knowledge?

That you can see more at games than watching them on TV's?

Yes, that is common knowledge.

..which is why I'm still trying to figure out why you said it would take two sets of eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
Your attempts at justifying what Weight did by saying the Flyers also had some elbows up on hits should be beneath any decent human being. It was blatant and anybody who even attempts to make a case that it was accidental is a moron. Calling him gritty also does not let him off the hook for a cheap shot on a player who doesn't fight.
I never once said that Weight's elbow was justified.

You made that up all by yourself.

I didn't make any case that it was accidental.

You made that up all by yourself.

I didn't once call Weight gritty.

You made that up all by yourself.

This entire debate is a fabrication based on assumptions that you made.

If you didn't understand the point of my post you should have asked.

Instead you made assumptions.

Quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
Furthermore, if calling Brashear an embarrassment is all you can come up with after paying to see your team get beat 7-2 at home, and witnessing in person one of your best players drill an opposing player in the face with an elbow on purpose is just sad.
What else should I 'come up with'?

The Flyers were the better team last night.

Weight shouldn't have done what he did.

That doesn't change the fact that Brashear was getting goaded by Jablonski throughout the entire game.

Brashear wanted no part of him.

Then he jump on Jamal Mayers with no time left on the clock.

Basically he acted like Tyson Nash.

... who I always nominated as the biggest pansy in the league when he was with the Blues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
You're a much bigger embarrassment to this board than Brashear, who I don't think is an embarrasment, is to the NHL.
If I had tried to justify Weight's elbow, yes I be an embarrassment.

But.

I didn't.

Your ignorant assumptions are what is an embarrassment to this board.

BTW

Insult #3.

 
Old
12-31-2003, 12:00 PM
  #94
paxtang
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 500
Brashear is a spot picker because he thinks he is too good to fight. Not because he is scared. It's pathetic either way.

paxtang is offline  
Old
12-31-2003, 12:35 PM
  #95
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf331
Elbows happen constantly. This is way overblown.

There is a difference betwenn a normal elbow and deliberately going ofter a guys head with an elbow.

gagne was engaged with another Blues player, weight had a free shot, and could have drilled Gagne with a clean hit.

Instead Weight threw an elbow/foream are Gagne's head. There is no doubt he was going after his head

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
12-31-2003, 12:41 PM
  #96
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,803
vCash: 500
The toughest guy Brash has ever fought was Belak. Nothing special. Brashear got his ass kicked by Shayne Corson once against the habs, and he hasn't been the same since. He was exposed, and from that point on he has only fought weak opponents, except once against Parker where he was once again handed his ass.

Fish on The Sand is offline  
Old
12-31-2003, 12:57 PM
  #97
dragonwyck
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
There is a difference betwenn a normal elbow and deliberately going ofter a guys head with an elbow.

gagne was engaged with another Blues player, weight had a free shot, and could have drilled Gagne with a clean hit.

Instead Weight threw an elbow/foream are Gagne's head. There is no doubt he was going after his head
I'm sorry John, but there is just no way you could possible know if Weight intentionally threw the elbow. I still haven't seen a replay of the hit, but what I've been told by more than a few people was that Weight did try to drill Gagne but threw up the elbow when he realized he was going to miss.

I'm not saying that they're right and you're wrong. I'm saying that no one knows. Given the fact that (despite what a Canucks fan will tell you) Weight is far from Bryan Marchment and has very little history with Simon Gagne, I personally find it hard to believe that it was intentional.

Believe what you want, but your opinion is just that, your opinion and not a fact as you are trying to present it.

 
Old
12-31-2003, 01:08 PM
  #98
topshelf331
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Stl
Country: United States
Posts: 2,198
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
There is a difference betwenn a normal elbow and deliberately going ofter a guys head with an elbow.

gagne was engaged with another Blues player, weight had a free shot, and could have drilled Gagne with a clean hit.

Instead Weight threw an elbow/foream are Gagne's head. There is no doubt he was going after his head
He could have knocked him clean out also, but he didnt. He was just trying to get philly off their game.

topshelf331 is offline  
Old
12-31-2003, 01:11 PM
  #99
Winston Wolf
Registered User
 
Winston Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Oahu, HI
Posts: 7,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
The toughest guy Brash has ever fought was Belak. Nothing special. Brashear got his ass kicked by Shayne Corson once against the habs, and he hasn't been the same since. He was exposed, and from that point on he has only fought weak opponents, except once against Parker where he was once again handed his ass.
The toughest guy Brashear has ever fought is Belak? Yeah, ok. BTW, Brashear hasn't lost a fight in years. I'll admit that Brashear is a spotpicker, who I don't care for all that much, but to say he's not a good fighter or only fights weak opponents is ludicrous.

Winston Wolf is offline  
Old
12-31-2003, 01:13 PM
  #100
Liquidrage*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Tallahassee
Posts: 2,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf331
He could have knocked him clean out also, but he didnt. He was just trying to get philly off their game.
You're a homer apologist.

It was a dirty elbow. He shouldn't have done it. You can't find examples of Flyers doing the same thing to any Blues last night nor can you find an example of another Blue doing that to a Flyer.

A player on your team made a bonehead play. We've all been there just deal with it like a man already.

Liquidrage* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.