HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Kevin Lowe to enter the offer sheet business?

Old
07-05-2007, 06:36 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Kevin Lowe to enter the offer sheet business?

Quote:
Lowe has not said if he would go after a Group 2 free agent, but he's probably not going to leave any stone unturned.

"As the general manager of a team, I have to utilize all the possible tools I have," said Lowe
Thomas Vanek,Zach Parise and Dustin Penner were mentioned in the article by the writer Jim Matheson

Kevin his having 2nd thoughts about the Ryan Smyth fiasco

Quote:
Lowe did want Ryan Smyth after trading him to Long Island Feb. 27 because they couldn't agree on a five-year deal. He says he made a call to agent Don Meehan early in the free-agent proceedings Sunday, but Smyth opted for Colorado.

"Now we've got a different budget and a different salary cap (up from $44 million last year to $50.3 million this season)," said Lowe, admitting he hadn't read the tea leaves well enough to know how high it would jump. If he'd known in February what he knows now, he said Smyth probably wouldn't have gotten away
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...2c01e61f1d&p=1

I wonder what the reaction will be if Edmonton drops an offer sheet on Buffalo for Vanek?If one of the bad boy big market NHL clubs gives an offer sheet for a player,all of the small market sycophants will come out of the woodwork complaining about how the big market teams are ruining the NHL,the small market teams can't compete,the NHL is biased against Canadian teams,the salary cap doesn't and Gary Bettman should be fired immediately

The same individuals will be praising Lowe for the move.Bringing pride back to Canada.Make all Canadians proud to be Canadian.The champion of small market teams.How Kevin isn't doing anything illegal because group II free agency is part of the CBA.He is operating with the tools available to him

A much different reaction

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 06:40 AM
Suiteness

If the Oilers wanted Parise so badly, why didn't they draft him instead of trading down to pick up M-A Pouliot?

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 06:41 AM
Klaus*

Give me a break. Kevin will do what he needs to do.

Klaus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 06:42 AM
Klaus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
If the Oilers wanted Parise so badly, why didn't they draft him instead of trading down to pick up M-A Pouliot?
Where did it say that in the article that Lowe himself said he was going after Parise?

Exactly.

Klaus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 06:42 AM
SickMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Thomas Vanek,Zach Parise and Dustin Penner were mentioned in the article by the writer Jim Matheson

Kevin his having 2nd thoughts about the Ryan Smyth fiasco

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...2c01e61f1d&p=1

I wonder what the reaction will be if Edmonton drops an offer sheet on Buffalo for Vanek?If one of the bad boy big market NHL clubs gives an offer sheet for a player,all of the small market sycophants will come out of the woodwork complaining about how the big market teams are ruining the NHL,the small market teams can't compete,the NHL is biased against Canadian teams,the salary cap doesn't and Gary Bettman should be fired immediately

The same individuals will be praising Lowe for the move.Bringing pride back to Canada.Make all Canadians proud to be Canadian.The champion of small market teams.How Kevin isn't doing anything illegal because group II free agency is part of the CBA.He is operating with the tools available to him

You may be overstating your case a little bit, but probably not too much. HF has a big user base, so you're going to see very wild variations in the reaction (if it were to happen.) The most extreme on either side will always be the loudest. Most people are much more moderate in their views, but you won't hear from them much, as they don't care enough either way to be bothered to respond.

I am a Canadian, and I will be happy if Lowe makes some offers. But I'm also an Oilers fan, so that would probably be alot more relevant than my nationality in this case.

SickMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 06:46 AM
McNasty

The problem is Buffalo and NJ both have the cap space to match any offer from Edmonton, I think it would be stupid not to try however.

McNasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 07:04 AM
fIREnIcE

would he cross his buddy Sather they seem to be the team that could potentially be the easiest target.

Paging Mr. Clarke

fIREnIcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 07:07 AM
fIREnIcE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
Where did it say that in the article that Lowe himself said he was going after Parise?

Exactly.
i think it was just implied....if he were going to do it that would prob be the best to do it to, vanek and henrik as well

"At this point, Lowe's Plan B could be to go after other teams' Group 2 free agents with offer sheets, like 43-goal scorer Thomas Vanek or big winger Dustin Penner or centre Zach Parise, all young kids with huge upside."

fIREnIcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 07:25 AM
Skyblaze

Hey, KLowe! Tanking doesn't work if you don't keep your draft picks!

/ a bitter Oilers fan

Skyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 08:36 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Considering the Sabres have cap space and budget space... and public commentary that they will match any offer... I don't see Vanek as the best target for something like this.

07-05-2007, 08:42 AM
Steve L*

Do the Nucks have any RFAs? I want to see certain posters on here go nuts again.

Im pretty sure the Sabres would match anything, imagine the cancellation in season tickets if they lost Briere, Drury and Vanek within a month.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 08:49 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by fIREnIcE View Post
would he cross his buddy Sather they seem to be the team that could potentially be the easiest target.

Paging Mr. Clarke
How do you figure?

The Rangers have 14 million in cap space. Think they can't match any offer for Lundqvist? Prucha?

And they would STILL have room to resign Shanny for a 1 year deal at 2 million with Bonuses that are attainable that WON'T count against the cap.

The Rangers are WELL protected against that type of attack.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 08:50 AM
discostu

I thought Vanek was a possible RFA that could be tendered an offer sheet at one point, but, that was always on the assumption that Buffalo retained at least one of their two captains (and only highly possible if they retained both), preventing them from matching a top end offer.

Same goes with Parise. Any chance of New Jersey not matching an offer went out the window when Gomez left.

The Oilers are desperate, and, if they're counting on getting a top end player through an RFA offer sheet, they're pretty much resorting to desperation measures. Their chances of success of landing a player that would be worthy of the compensation required is slim. Even if they did land someone, after all the changes that the team has faced, getting a player of a Parise or Vanek magnitude isn't going to raise them significantly. Giving up multiple first round picks could end up being very high picks in very deep drafts.

discostu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Headwound

That fact that Kevin Lowe didn't sign Ryan Smyth last summer, and then lethim get away is the biggest bungle he's ever made.

But making offer sheets to RFAs won't put any small market teams in any disadvantage. In fact, the salary cap is working. Edmonton is a team that's making money. They're in the top 10 in league revenue. but they don't spend in the top 10.

See a pattern?

Headwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 09:02 AM
MrMastodonFarm*

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Offer sheets are the last refuge of a desperate GM, and Lowe is the definition of that lately.

MrMastodonFarm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 09:09 AM
Meichel Kane
Ex-Armond White

Huge offer sheet to one of Lundqvist, Avery, or Prucha? That could really hurt the Rangers if Lowe wants to be malicious.

Meichel Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 09:12 AM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Desperate times call for desperate measures. Offer sheets are the last refuge of a desperate GM, and Lowe is the definition of that lately.
Yep - Lowe wants to "win now" when I think he should think about an 3-4 year rebuild with all the youth in the Oilers system.

I guarantee on the first day of the season, the Oilers will ice the youngest team - they have 7 roster players born in the mid-70s and the rest are were born between 83-88.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 09:14 AM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst233 View Post
Huge offer sheet to one of Lundqvist, Avery, or Prucha? That could really hurt the Rangers if Lowe wants to be malicious.
I doubt it. Lowe and Sathers are old chummy buddies (I assume).

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 09:52 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
I don't think having a top 5 pick in the loaded '08 draft (or the '09 draft, for that metter) would particularly hurt the Rangers. Plus, they've got Montoya playing well in the AHL, so they have a capable replacement.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 09:53 AM
sensens

Is Kevin Lowe really this dense... or does he really believe that we are? Whose definition of 'win-now' involves losing the likes of Pronger, Smyth, Peca, Sykora, Lupul, Spacek, Smith, Bergeron, and Laraque all within about a year, while simultaneously doing a pretty crappy job of either forecasting the effects of losing these players, and/or doing anything substantial to replace them? I'll admit that he assembled a heck of a pile of picks and prospects, but that doesn't exactly entice UFA's. If Lowe wanted to be active in July, he should have been packaging up some of those assets and bringing in a big name to make it clear what the new direction of the team was. Honestly, what exactly is the Oilers' identity now? Who is/are their leader/s? Even just within their division I'm pretty sure they'd be running last in terms of where you'd want to go if you actually wanted to win something within the term of your contract - and that has very little to do with the city, or some bloody concierge.

At the end of the day, that Ryan Smyth fiasco was everything you never want as a GM - angry fans, angry player, and greatly diminished team identity. And frankly, any suggestion at this point on Lowe's part that he 'misread the tea leaves' in all of this, should serve as the preamble to his walking papers. There's nothing wrong with having a fire sale, but don't go pretending that you're trying to win-now when you're holding a fire sale. At least have the guts to say that you'll do your best to be competitive, but that the goal is to be competitive at a high level in a couple of years. Oh yes, and maybe apologize for ripping out the heart of an organization in exchange for picks and prospects.

As for the offer sheets, Lowe can try it if he likes, but I'm not sure it will yield the kinds of results he's hoping for. Many of the teams involved seem quite prepared to defend themselves against such maneouvres, plus I've always believed in the 'bad karma' of working that way as a GM... it's perhaps noteworthy that the last GM to try it was fired mid-season. And at the end of the day, RFA offer sheets tend to have to be gross overpayments in order to be a legitimate enticement. Is that really an intelligent way to build your team? Personally, I think Lowe could do a lot better in just trading for players straight-up - both in terms of cap utilization, and in terms of selection and ability to actually address team needs.

Last edited by sensens: 07-05-2007 at 09:59 AM.
sensens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 10:03 AM
ARS

Quote:

What exactly are you basing this off?

As for Lowe making an offer sheet to one of those players, I can't see Penner being worth as much as it would take for Anaheim to not match the offersheet, and when it comes to Parise and Vanek, neither of NJ or Buffalo will hesitate to match whatever is thrown at them, especially Buffalo because as of right now Vanek is their franchise forward.

Edmonton may have missed out on the big names, but they can still sign some of the tier 2 players left, and still come out being a decent team, I can't see them being able to sign a high level RFA to an offer sheet without the other team matching it.

ARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 10:08 AM
The Overseer*

Quote:

You are obviously referring to the Clarke/Kesler situation. The salient point in that was that the Canucks had the ability to match Clarke's offer. The key to not being a stupid offer sheeter and ****ing things up for everybody, including your own team when your comparable players become eligible for arbitration, is to wait until a team has hamstrung itself against the cap. That isn't what Clarke did. Clarke's move was a stupid one. By the way, Vancouver isn't a small-market team.

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Skyblaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensens View Post
Is Kevin Lowe really this dense... or does he really believe that we are? Whose definition of 'win-now' involves losing the likes of Pronger, Smyth, Peca, Sykora, Lupul, Spacek, Smith, Bergeron, and Laraque all within about a year, while simultaneously doing a pretty crappy job of either forecasting the effects of losing these players, and/or doing anything substantial to replace them? I'll admit that he assembled a heck of a pile of picks and prospects, but that doesn't exactly entice UFA's. If Lowe wanted to be active in July, he should have been packaging up some of those assets and bringing in a big name to make it clear what the new direction of the team was. Honestly, what exactly is the Oilers' identity now? Who is/are their leader/s? Even just within their division I'm pretty sure they'd be running last in terms of where you'd want to go if you actually wanted to win something within the term of your contract - and that has very little to do with the city, or some bloody concierge.

At the end of the day, that Ryan Smyth fiasco was everything you never want as a GM - angry fans, angry player, and greatly diminished team identity. And frankly, any suggestion at this point on Lowe's part that he 'misread the tea leaves' in all of this, should serve as the preamble to his walking papers. There's nothing wrong with having a fire sale, but don't go pretending that you're trying to win-now when you're holding a fire sale. At least have the guts to say that you'll do your best to be competitive, but that the goal is to be competitive at a high level in a couple of years. Oh yes, and maybe apologize for ripping out the heart of an organization in exchange for picks and prospects.
Couldn't have said it any better. Also, to develop these prospects, the Oilers will need their own farm team at some point sooner rather than later.

I can't foresee anything but a few years of mediocrity for them which is a damned shame right after coming one win from the Stanley Cup. Kevin Lowe should get canned; the fact that the team kept trading away their best players was made almost acceptable pre-cap because there was no way they could match offers and stay competitive but there's just no excuses anymore.

Skyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 10:26 AM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
If Lowe starts signing people to offer sheets just to be a jerk, rather than actually because he thinks he can improve his team, then Edmonton ought to fire him immediately for their own good.

mmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 10:26 AM
razman22

Both the Edmonton Journal and Edmonton Sun had similar stories written today with "speculation" about signing RFA's. Since both writer's (Matheson and Jones) are two of the worst newspaper men in North America, I wouldn't put much stock in the stories. Plus, if UFA's won't sign in Edmonton, why would RFA's? Since getting a player to agree to sign is already unlikely for Lowe, the fact the other team would likely match any offer makes it even more unlikely.

razman22 is offline   Reply With Quote