HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who has had a better offseason?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-05-2007, 12:43 PM
  #1
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,692
vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Who has had a better offseason?

Flyers acquire Kimmo Timonen, Scott Hartnell, Daniel Briere, Joffrey Lupul, and Jason Smith. Re-sign Kukkonen, Niittymaki

Rangers acquire Scott Gomez, Chris Drury and Mitch Fritz. Re-sign Petr Prucha. Need to sign Shanahan, Lundqvist.

Anaheim acquires Mathieu Schneider, Todd Bertuzzi, Stephen Dixon, Jason King, Brad May, and Maxim Kondratiev. Re-sign JS Giguere. Need to sign Teemu Selanne.

Flames acquire Adrian Aucoin, Anders Eriksson, Cory Sarich, and Owen Nolan. Sign Jarome Iginla and Robyn Reghr to 5 year extensions.

Avalanche sign Ryan Smyth and Scott Hannan. Re-sign Joe Sakic

Kings sign Kyle Calder, Michal Handzus, Tom Preissing, Ladislav Nagy, and Brad Stuart.

Blues acquire Paul Kariya, Keith Tkachuck, and Micki Dupiont

Leafs acquire Vesa Toskala, Mark Bell, Jason Blake, and Simon Gamache

Capitals sign Tom Poti, Viktor Kozlov, and Michael Nylander.

1.flyers
2.rangers
3.kings
4.ducks
5.leafs
6.avalanche
7.blues
8.capitals
9.flames

cant edit title: meant to say best offseason

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 12:51 PM
  #2
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
get back to me next april.

however, as far as improvement... it's going to be us, but that was almost a given.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 12:56 PM
  #3
CavemanLawyer
Registered User
 
CavemanLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ocean City, MD
Posts: 1,111
vCash: 500
Yup. Only time will tell who had the best offseason. On paper though, it seems to be the Flyers, ha.

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 01:51 PM
  #4
FlyersFanJS
Registered User
 
FlyersFanJS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hellertown, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,928
vCash: 500
you have to give LA a lot of props for really doing a great job in bringing in a lot of guys and transforming their squad...however it was all erased by their drafting

that being said, Flyers & Rangers for sure

FlyersFanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 02:04 PM
  #5
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
The Rangers are not getting nearly enough flak for letting Nylander go. I'm also very leery of Bertuzzi's contract in Anaheim, though getting Schneider and not really losing anyone except the possible retirees scores them major points. I'd go with Calgary locking up their stars as the big one honestly, with the Flyers having the most upside to their acquisitions (but of course, also the possibility of having terrible consequences if things don't pan out, the obvious cost of shooting for the moon).

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 02:06 PM
  #6
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanJS View Post
you have to give LA a lot of props for really doing a great job in bringing in a lot of guys and transforming their squad...however it was all erased by their drafting

that being said, Flyers & Rangers for sure
I think LA's done a brutal job. They were fter and didn't get any of the big three centers. Handzus, Nagy and Calder were all over paid. They still don't have a goalie. The 4th pick was shakey at best,

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 02:07 PM
  #7
phlacheesesteak
Registered User
 
phlacheesesteak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
The Rangers are not getting nearly enough flak for letting Nylander go. I'm also very leery of Bertuzzi's contract in Anaheim, though getting Schneider and not really losing anyone except the possible retirees scores them major points. I'd go with Calgary locking up their stars as the big one honestly, with the Flyers having the most upside to their acquisitions (but of course, also the possibility of having terrible consequences if things don't pan out, the obvious cost of shooting for the moon).
like finishing last in the league,

those kind of terrible consequences?




(just joking of course, i know your thinking of other things like cap issues down the line etc.)

phlacheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 02:09 PM
  #8
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,345
vCash: 500
Ducks can't be in the top 5, and quite possibly could be bottom 5 if both Selanne and Neidermayer retire as expected.

Avalanche and Capitals should both be much higher. Panthers should be on the list.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 02:25 PM
  #9
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
The Rangers are not getting nearly enough flak for letting Nylander go. I'm also very leery of Bertuzzi's contract in Anaheim, though getting Schneider and not really losing anyone except the possible retirees scores them major points. I'd go with Calgary locking up their stars as the big one honestly, with the Flyers having the most upside to their acquisitions (but of course, also the possibility of having terrible consequences if things don't pan out, the obvious cost of shooting for the moon).
Rangers had to let Nylander go to upgrade with Drury and Gomez. This is in preparation for the day coming soon when the Czech contingent is all gone.

Anaheim did very well. A huge team adds Bertuzzi and Bobby Ryan to its wings, and Dixon and King aren't bad. Schneider will be as good a replacement as possible for Scott N.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 02:31 PM
  #10
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,692
vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
I think LA's done a brutal job. They were fter and didn't get any of the big three centers. Handzus, Nagy and Calder were all over paid. They still don't have a goalie. The 4th pick was shakey at best,
why sign a high priced goalie now when they have jonathan bernier waiting in the wings?

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 02:33 PM
  #11
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Rangers had to let Nylander go to upgrade with Drury and Gomez. This is in preparation for the day coming soon when the Czech contingent is all gone.

Anaheim did very well. A huge team adds Bertuzzi and Bobby Ryan to its wings, and Dixon and King aren't bad. Schneider will be as good a replacement as possible for Scott N.
That's the thing. Jagr with Gomez is unlikely to really surpass what he did with Nylander, and they had to spend more money to get him and are locked into a much longer deal.

Quote:
like finishing last in the league,

those kind of terrible consequences?




(just joking of course, i know your thinking of other things like cap issues down the line etc.)
Actually, I was thinking it could have us still last in the league and stuck in cap trouble for years. If these sigings turn sour we're screwed for a long, long time.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 02:39 PM
  #12
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
why sign a high priced goalie now when they have jonathan bernier waiting in the wings?
Dan Cloutier.

Bernier like any goalie prspect is far from a sure thing.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 02:41 PM
  #13
flyersfan64*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 146
vCash: 500
please dont crucify me for saying this but is there any chance this vanek deal is true also could they just be screwing up the sabres

"1:45PM (RUMOUR) - If the Flyers can manage to clear enough cap space then they'll go ahead and give Vanek an offer sheet. It appears Briere has a lot to do with this as well, as he is encouraging Holmgren to try and bring in his former winger. "


would you want him for he price and how would we clear space. hatcher gauthier maybe this the second part of lupul deal and we are packaging him to clear space. i know i am getting to hopeful considering everyone wil think i am stupid for saying this

flyersfan64* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 02:59 PM
  #14
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,692
vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan64 View Post
please dont crucify me for saying this but is there any chance this vanek deal is true also could they just be screwing up the sabres

"1:45PM (RUMOUR) - If the Flyers can manage to clear enough cap space then they'll go ahead and give Vanek an offer sheet. It appears Briere has a lot to do with this as well, as he is encouraging Holmgren to try and bring in his former winger. "


would you want him for he price and how would we clear space. hatcher gauthier maybe this the second part of lupul deal and we are packaging him to clear space. i know i am getting to hopeful considering everyone wil think i am stupid for saying this
sabres will not let this happen.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 03:03 PM
  #15
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan64 View Post
please dont crucify me for saying this but is there any chance this vanek deal is true also could they just be screwing up the sabres

"1:45PM (RUMOUR) - If the Flyers can manage to clear enough cap space then they'll go ahead and give Vanek an offer sheet. It appears Briere has a lot to do with this as well, as he is encouraging Holmgren to try and bring in his former winger. "


would you want him for he price and how would we clear space. hatcher gauthier maybe this the second part of lupul deal and we are packaging him to clear space. i know i am getting to hopeful considering everyone wil think i am stupid for saying this
No chance. The site you got that from (nhlline.ca) isn't reputable.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 03:07 PM
  #16
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
That's the thing. Jagr with Gomez is unlikely to really surpass what he did with Nylander, and they had to spend more money to get him and are locked into a much longer deal.
Gomez will be feeding Cherepanov long after Jagr is gone, that's the key. The Rangers will have two great Cs to put out there for many years to come.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 03:08 PM
  #17
flyersfan64*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 146
vCash: 500
thought so just wanted to make sure . thx

flyersfan64* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 03:46 PM
  #18
MojoJojo
Registered User
 
MojoJojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 9,351
vCash: 500
LA did a great job getting Stuart, Nagy and Preissing, but...

1. They signed Calder
2. They still have Cloutier as their starting goalie.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 03:59 PM
  #19
TheKingPin
Registered User
 
TheKingPin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,903
vCash: 500
given that we got briere for 6.5 per season makes us better than the rags alone.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 05:34 PM
  #20
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...
 
Ex Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
We have, and it's not even close. The Rags song and dance on July 1st dazzled everybody but our offseason has been far better.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 06:24 PM
  #21
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,889
vCash: 500
The Flyers "offseason" sure looks nice as it is, but if one stretches the time criterion back to the trading deadline, then one can add Upshall and Coburn and Kukkonen and Parent to the list of acquisitions and then it's REALLY not close.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 06:44 PM
  #22
jfc64
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,124
vCash: 500
Avs.

Smyth and Hannan added to a team that went 15-2-2 to finish the season. Leopold was injured then as well. And they have 8 million in cap space. WITH Theodore...

If we count team improvement since the start of last season...Flyers, of course...from bottom team to an estimated secure play-off spot.

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 06:59 PM
  #23
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Gomez will be feeding Cherepanov long after Jagr is gone, that's the key. The Rangers will have two great Cs to put out there for many years to come.
And Nylander couldn't have done so?

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 11:57 AM
  #24
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,889
vCash: 500
What about Edmonton?

They landed a future Norris Trophy winner for a one dimensional winger who has never seen his own zone and some old guy who cannot quarterback the powerplay.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 12:19 PM
  #25
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
What about Edmonton?

They landed a future Norris Trophy winner for a one dimensional winger who has never seen his own zone and some old guy who cannot quarterback the powerplay.
yeah, they shoulda made that move for Randy Jones, huh?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.