HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gagne West

Old
07-05-2007, 09:15 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

vCash: 500
Gagne West

I was watching some youtube videos and getting excited for next season. I found a few Gagne tributes, and there was a clip of him making some sick moves in one of our old orange jerseys. I realized how long he's been here, and that only made me hope that he stays here for a long, long time. I was wondering where you guys think he'll wind up on the Flyers all-time list, in terms of both points and recognition. Obviously, Clarke is at the top of Flyerdom, but if things go well, where will Gagne rank? I'm figuring since he and Briere will be together for at least 4 years (hopefully), he has a chance of putting a dent in the record books - especially Barber's 420 goals. Add a Stanley Cup and I think he definitely ranks up there. Thoughts?

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 09:24 PM
rayearth

I think he's already put a dent in the books. Whether he'll trash them is another story.

He's already 13th Flyers all time in goals and 19th in points.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Jim Schennson
Bros.

Is this the video you're talking about?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OLUMvLKupng

Regardless, it's a sweet video. Man, he's got such a sick backhand. There's plenty of beautiful moves on the video, but the most important one is at the 2:55 mark. It really gets you pumped for playoff hockey, and excited that we'll most likely be back there next year, and for years to come, with a real potential to finally get a 3rd cup.

As for Gagne's legacy, numbers aside, if he wins a cup, he can be looked at as the link between the disappointment of Lindros' Flyers, to the current, promising squad.

Jim Schennson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 11:30 PM
Teezax

When we're talking videos, these are the only need watching:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uNkl8uX_X...elated&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OcdaVng8J...elated&search=

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 12:25 AM
Norm MacDonald

Does anyone have the video of Gagne's goal in the 2004 ECF where he bats the puck in mid-air? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 12:25 AM
John Flyers Fan

I'd say he has a 50/50 chance of becoming the Flyers all-time leading goal scorer.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 12:30 AM
McNasty

Unfortunately, if he isn't part of a team that brings home a cup, he won't be nearly the icon that Clarkie was. I don't think he'll ever surpass Clarke in terms of importance to the city.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 05:17 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
I'd say he has a 50/50 chance of becoming the Flyers all-time leading goal scorer.
if he and Briere really click... he might pop 250+ in the next 6 years... assuming he re-signs after the end of this contract.

as of today, he's sitting at 201... the record is 420... given Gagne's age, if he plays out his career here... I would expect him to be the Flyers all-time goal scorer. if he plays to 35, he would have to average 27.4 goals a year to get to that mark... and 37.4 in order to get to 500 at 35.

there will be some injuries in the way of all of that, of course, but those are pretty reasonable numbers if you factor in him having a few more big years before he hits 30... then he can start a descent without it being a problem. if he could pop 50 a couple of times in the next few years, it would be all but guaranteed.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 05:18 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Unfortunately, if he isn't part of a team that brings home a cup, he won't be nearly the icon that Clarkie was. I don't think he'll ever surpass Clarke in terms of importance to the city.
he's not the personality that Clarke is/was... that's the larger issue. even if they go win 2-3 Cups before he's out of here, i don't think Gagne could capture the city like Clarke did.

Old
07-06-2007, 05:26 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarteRichards View Post

Regardless, it's a sweet video. Man, he's got such a sick backhand. There's plenty of beautiful moves on the video, but the most important one is at the 2:55 mark. It really gets you pumped for playoff hockey, and excited that we'll most likely be back there next year, and for years to come, with a real potential to finally get a 3rd cup.

As for Gagne's legacy, numbers aside, if he wins a cup, he can be looked at as the link between the disappointment of Lindros' Flyers, to the current, promising squad.
I like the Rob Roy bagpipe music for a french canadian hockey player... that works.

those highlights display just how damn fast he is, too... which seems to get lost in the shuffle so much.

Old
07-06-2007, 08:23 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
if he and Briere really click... he might pop 250+ in the next 6 years... assuming he re-signs after the end of this contract.

as of today, he's sitting at 201... the record is 420... given Gagne's age, if he plays out his career here... I would expect him to be the Flyers all-time goal scorer. if he plays to 35, he would have to average 27.4 goals a year to get to that mark... and 37.4 in order to get to 500 at 35.

there will be some injuries in the way of all of that, of course, but those are pretty reasonable numbers if you factor in him having a few more big years before he hits 30... then he can start a descent without it being a problem. if he could pop 50 a couple of times in the next few years, it would be all but guaranteed.
Agreed. Over the next 4 years of his contract if he averages 42 a year, which is more than resonable, he'd be at 370. 50 behind the record and just 31 years old.

Old
07-06-2007, 08:29 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
I like the Rob Roy bagpipe music for a french canadian hockey player... that works.

those highlights display just how damn fast he is, too... which seems to get lost in the shuffle so much.
What those highlights also remind you is how often he scores against the D.evils and Brodeur

Old
07-06-2007, 09:18 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
That's from Last of the Mohicans. French and Indian War, French Canadian... I guess there's a connection there.

Dr Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love View Post
That's from Last of the Mohicans. French and Indian War, French Canadian... I guess there's a connection there.
that's what i get for posting right after waking up.

Old
07-06-2007, 12:10 PM
legionOfdoom

There was a Flyers Rangers game broadcast on ESPN in that clip, wonder if we'll ever see that again.

legionOfdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 03:30 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax View Post
Always gives me a chill every time I watch it. Then it goes away because I know how close we were to the SCF and our dreams were crushed. I could taste it. Best run I have ever seen.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
that's what i get for posting right after waking up.
The solution is simple. Don't sleep. Ever.

Dr Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 05:23 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love View Post
The solution is simple. Don't sleep. Ever.
easier than you think here in Scotland... the sun never sets.

Old
07-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

A Stanley Cup and the leading goal scorer and you're talking a pretty special player in this organization's history. A lot has to go right though.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 07:53 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
A Stanley Cup and the leading goal scorer and you're talking a pretty special player in this organization's history. A lot has to go right though.
If it all does go right, I don't think he'll top Clarke's legend in our history, but Gags should easily slide into the #2 spot of any all-time Flyers list.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 11:31 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
If it all does go right, I don't think he'll top Clarke's legend in our history, but Gags should easily slide into the #2 spot of any all-time Flyers list.
Not true at all.

Bernie Parnet is clearly #2, and in the hearts of fans probably closer to #1 than #3 (not how it should be, but it is perception). Parent has near godlike status around here.

For Gagne to bump into th etop 5 would be a remarkable acheivement.

Old
07-06-2007, 11:53 PM
flyersfan97

1-Can I ask why this thread has the title it does? I'm just back from a few days away and I nearly threw up when I saw it.

Quote:

Not anymore. Trust me on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarteRichards View Post

To me, the most surprising thing about the first goal on this video, was that Niitty seemed to be watching the play and not the Jumbotron. Will wonders never cease?

Also of note was how often the puck seemed to find #12. I sure hope we're back to that this season. And dang, did he and Preems work well together.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 11:58 PM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
1-Can I ask why this thread has the title it does? I'm just back from a few days away and I nearly threw up when I saw it.
I assume a reference to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanye_West but I have no idea why.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 12:02 AM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
I assume a reference to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanye_West but I have no idea why.
Oh, all I could imagine is that for some reason we traded him or he wanted to go to San Jose or some such place. I nearly crapped my drawers.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 08:13 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
Wow, that one flew right over my head. I've been wondering the same as ff97 the past few days.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote