HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

What the F is the plan now? Where are they going and does DA have anything in mind?

Old
07-05-2007, 08:30 PM
michael117

vCash: 500
What the F is the plan now? Where are they going and does DA have anything in mind?

So yeah... where do we go from here? I seriously expected the Stars to go after Jason Blake to get a much needed punch in offense with a team that can still lose a series after getting THREE shutouts. Anyway, with that aside and my bitterness, I can't help but wonder where is my team going? Doug Armstrong made some minor moves at the trade deadline before to acquire a minor, then big flop of a scorer, Nagy, but after not making even a ripple (wouldn't consider Kozlov's visit of any signficance) in the free agent market do they have any plans? By trading off draft picks, Armstrong made it known that he is trying to get things done now and possibly make a cup run in the next few years. Well, so much for living in the now and going for the cup with no scoring, is he thinking rebuild mode, trying to pull off a big trade, or does he actually have some faith in our ability to "score by committee"? I'm lost.

michael117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 08:50 PM
OttMorrow

Send a message via AIM to OttMorrow
You're lost because Armstrong is lost.

OttMorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 10:36 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
Like I said a month ago, Guerin and Peca.
Yeah, because the Stars need another center in Peca.

Even before this, Guerin isn't needed on the Stars, he was tried before and he didn't fit that good.

Sign Martin Gelinas to a one year deal $1 million contract, trade Miettinen and Ott. Unless you think Ott can score more goals then Pushkarev or Lessard, which isn't going to happen and of course Miettinen another checking line forward isn't needed.
Then use one of Pushkarev/Lessard/Conner at RW with Morrow and Ribeiro.

Neal could make the team out of training camp, but I don't think it'll happen.

This team is still better then what the Stars started last season with.

Last edited by ________: 07-05-2007 at 10:46 PM.
________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 10:58 PM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
I reckon the folks down in Big D ain't gonna see none of them thar ice hokey playoffs fer awile. How bout' them Cowboys? Whoo!

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 11:03 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Quote:
Originally Posted by a79krgm View Post
I reckon the folks down in Big D ain't gonna see none of them thar ice hokey playoffs fer awile. How bout' them Cowboys? Whoo!
what's up with the sudden rash of little, stupid, ugly green trolls?

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 11:27 PM
Stars-Preds

I agree that our team is better than fans of other teams think (Turco is still an elite goalie and our defense is one of the best in the conference). But I'm also confused about what the plan is.

We trade away all our picks for an old player (Norstrom) and a useless floater who left via free agency (Nagy), but then fail to sign a goal scorer. I doesn't make sense to me. Hopefully we can sign someone like O'neill or Gelinas or someone.

Stars-Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 11:50 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars-Preds View Post
I agree that our team is better than fans of other teams think (Turco is still an elite goalie and our defense is one of the best in the conference). But I'm also confused about what the plan is.

We trade away all our picks for an old player (Norstrom) and a useless floater who left via free agency (Nagy), but then fail to sign a goal scorer. I doesn't make sense to me. Hopefully we can sign someone like O'neill or Gelinas or someone.
You should take some time to get to know yourself.

But seriously, yeah, some scoring would've been nice, but maybe it'll be refreshing to give some of the rookies a chance, instead of banishing them to Iowa yet again. Give 'em a shot in Dallas, see what they can do. There's always the possibility of early or pre-season deals, such as the Ribeiro one

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 12:17 AM
Chad_

I would have liked to see the Stars sign one of the very few scorers available too, but only two fit under the available cap space. Armstrong attempted to sign both, but one re-signed and the other either liked Toronto more or Armstrong was unwilling to agree to the length required. I can't say I blame him on not wanting to sign Blake to five years.

Eartotheground: I presume a79krgm attempted to take a swipe at the Texas stereotype, though this native and resident has never run across anyone who speaks that way. I even went to college in West Texas where the stereotype comes much closer to being true and I certainly didn't hear anyone speak like that.

Which reminds of a brief story. One of the absolute dumbest people I have ever met was originally from California. He had just moved to the Dallas area from California and decided to tell me how much he hated Texas. He couldn't list any reasons why, so I began to press him. If there wasn't a reason why he hated Texas, his hatred must not run that deep. When pressed into a corner, he then proceeded to tell me he hates Texas because Texas has cows. He must not have been aware California is this nation's top dairy producing state.

You see, the moral of the story is that when some people start trying to poke fun of others, they just end up sounding stupid. Case in point from the comment written by a79krgm. Because as we all know, Minnesotans have no accent at all, nor do they use collective jargon that would not be found in any dictionary.

Last edited by Chad_: 07-06-2007 at 12:25 AM.
Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 12:33 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Gentlemen, prepare for Plan F!

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 12:36 AM
Alistar

everyone will panic now but please consider that there is no way Los Angeles will somehow magically make up the 40 POINTS it was behing Dallas last year, and Phoenix just looks all kinds of horrible coming into this season. As long as Dallas is even decent we have a playoff spot booked for us along with SJ and Anaheim, and this wont change until one of the bottem 5-6 teams in the conference actually fields a competitve roster (and no matter what people might try to tell you about LA or St. Louis or Chicago they are still miles away from Dallas, not even in the same class). This is largely because the top 4 teams in the Northwest are so balanced and ~95 points will get you in no problem.
Please note this isnt me trying to say something like Dallas is going bad but its alright cause we can just cruise on in for the next 2 years due to other teams sucking worse, I fully expect Dallas to be in the hunt for the division title until the last week of the season, and I expect alot of Los Angeles and Columbus fans will be around in the summer of 08' to remind us all how old Dallas is and how their team just signed that 5 mill free agent that will put them over the top and us in the basement... complete rubbish =p

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 01:03 AM
Stars-Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
You should take some time to get to know yourself.

But seriously, yeah, some scoring would've been nice, but maybe it'll be refreshing to give some of the rookies a chance, instead of banishing them to Iowa yet again. Give 'em a shot in Dallas, see what they can do. There's always the possibility of early or pre-season deals, such as the Ribeiro one
LOL I just saw my spelling error. Thanks for catching that; well played, very well played.

Old
07-06-2007, 01:36 AM
srvrules

sure army has traded 1st round picks at the deadline in order to try to 'win now', but he didn't strap the team with longterm dead money either...the picks would be great to have, but that was the price of doing business (look at the guerin, tkachuk, & rivet deals), and if he'd done nothing at the deadline we would have heard this same complaining anyway

as for not signing a UFA...i say GREAT!!!!!

most of the one's this year are overpaid complimentary players.....we need more than that....why not wait instead of reaching for the turgeon's and audette's of the world?

lets not lose sight of the fact that some teams will walk away from arbitration rulings, and that trades can be made until march...and we'll have the $ flexibilty that most teams won't in order to take advantage

lets not panic...we have a solid team that can still be improved...be patient

srvrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 01:40 AM
srvrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by a79krgm View Post
must be a bitter minnie fan since we stole their hockey team, won the stanley cup, and screwed them in the h.walker deal

srvrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 02:11 AM
Stars-Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrules View Post
sure army has traded 1st round picks at the deadline in order to try to 'win now', but he didn't strap the team with longterm dead money either...the picks would be great to have, but that was the price of doing business (look at the guerin, tkachuk, & rivet deals), and if he'd done nothing at the deadline we would have heard this same complaining anyway

as for not signing a UFA...i say GREAT!!!!!

most of the one's this year are overpaid complimentary players.....we need more than that....why not wait instead of reaching for the turgeon's and audette's of the world?

lets not lose sight of the fact that some teams will walk away from arbitration rulings, and that trades can be made until march...and we'll have the $ flexibilty that most teams won't in order to take advantage

lets not panic...we have a solid team that can still be improved...be patient
Hopefully you are correct. Last year, the Predators took advantage of an arbitration type of scenario when they signed JP Dumont to a two year deal. The Stars need to get lucky with a player like that.

Old
07-06-2007, 02:29 AM
brewstarz03

I'm just pissed that we traded our 2007 and 2008 first round picks for one crappy "scorer" and a defensemen we probably didn't need. AND then follow it up with nothing at all in the offseason.

But if you think about it, we had to overpay to get anything at all during last seasons trade dealine- just like everyone else did. First round picks were the going rate. Sucks, but its true. And do you really want to give all this money to these average free agents this year? Smyth and Drury aren't average, I know. But I don't want to give Kozlov that much money for that long.

I just wish we had our first rounders back.

brewstarz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 02:39 AM
Dallasman

I didn't realize the offseason ended after 5 days!

Plenty of time for DA to do something. I will reserve judgement until late August, early September on how our offseason went. Still way to early to judge anything anyone has done until the games are played.

And, really, who have we lost of significance? Nagy? Yeah, he made a BIG difference. Daryl Sydor? Our defense will be fine with out him. Yes, we need a scorer but I don't know how getting a guy like Blake, who scored 40+ goals in his contract year, would have been a great signing. Time will tell.

This team is still a good team and I hope and pray that everyone can stay healthy next year and we can see what another full season from Modano and Morrow will look like. This team is not falling anytime soon. Continuity is key in todays NHL. We have that. Change for the sake of change isn't always a good thing.

Dallasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 09:46 AM
dallas stars 1999

I don't see how trading away Boucher is going to help our team? He did score 19 goals last year. Less goal, yea that what we need. Hick's should fire DA and go some one else. DA has had 3 years to make us a contender and has failed miserably. Poor picks and second to fourth line players. I seem to remember 3 first round exits. I do realize the price of the ufa, but time for the core of this team is running out. Zubov, Modano, Lehtinen and Turco are in there mid 30.

dallas stars 1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas stars 1999 View Post
I don't see how trading away Boucher is going to help our team? He did score 19 goals last year. Less goal, yea that what we need. Hick's should fire DA and go some one else. DA has had 3 years to make us a contender and has failed miserably. Poor picks and second to fourth line players. I seem to remember 3 first round exits. I do realize the price of the ufa, but time for the core of this team is running out. Zubov, Modano, Lehtinen and Turco are in there mid 30.
Armstrong has "failed miserably" in making the Stars a contender? Do all teams make the playoffs or win over 100 points during the regular season or something?

Poor picks and second to fourth line players? How do you know they are poor picks? Is it time to shut the book on prospects that haven't even been given a chance to play? As far as "second to fourth line players," I must presume you are assuming whomever Armstrong has picked will only become second to fourth line players at best, which makes me wonder why the NHL bothers drafting if someone like you can swoop in and just tell all teams the value of those available.

Old
07-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Dastars

According to reports, the Stars are believed to be eyeing the likes of winger Jeff O'Neill, center Michael Peca and right wing Mike Johnson.

Link

Dastars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 12:46 PM
dallas stars 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
Armstrong has "failed miserably" in making the Stars a contender? Do all teams make the playoffs or win over 100 points during the regular season or something?

Poor picks and second to fourth line players? How do you know they are poor picks? Is it time to shut the book on prospects that haven't even been given a chance to play? As far as "second to fourth line players," I must presume you are assuming whomever Armstrong has picked will only become second to fourth line players at best, which makes me wonder why the NHL bothers drafting if someone like you can swoop in and just tell all teams the value of those available.
Hey Chad, I am a Stars fan too, but if our prospects are so good, why are they not up on our team scoring goals? As for the word "contender" I would not count the past 3 years as successful. Again 3 first round exits, and this years playoffs no scoring.

dallas stars 1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 01:54 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastars View Post
According to reports, the Stars are believed to be eyeing the likes of winger Jeff O'Neill, center Michael Peca and right wing Mike Johnson.

Link
adding nobody would be better, much better. Why Peca? another center, another defensive forward, another past prime player, does Armstrong ever learn?

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 01:58 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE M0DANO View Post
adding nobody would be better, much better. Why Peca? another center, another defensive forward, another past prime player, does Armstrong ever learn?
Were you there last season? Our 3rd line was the only line to show up. They were the sole reason we won in every single playoff game that we won. Quite possibly the best moves Armstrong has made are "past their prime" defensive players. Arguably with another 2 defensive forwards, our playoff output would've about doubled.

If I had my way, we'd only ever sign these players. 4 checking lines. Try to beat that, biotches. Even if you win, you still lose because you'll barely be able to get your swollen body into your equipment for your next series.

Last edited by The Frugal Gourmet: 07-06-2007 at 02:03 PM.
The Frugal Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas stars 1999 View Post
Hey Chad, I am a Stars fan too, but if our prospects are so good, why are they not up on our team scoring goals? As for the word "contender" I would not count the past 3 years as successful. Again 3 first round exits, and this years playoffs no scoring.
One, there has never been room to add prospects to the current Stars roster. The Stars have always gone out and signed veterans to plug the lower lines on the team, not leaving any room for prospects to get quality playing time and hopefully grow.

The last three years have been successfull, but not successful enough. I doubt you will find a hockey fan, much less a Stars fan, who concludes the Stars have enough firepower.

But what is remarkable is that Armstrong has built the Stars farm system, giving the team at least the chance to develop their own. Sure, he's missed on drafting players, but so have other teams. He's signed players that perhaps he shouldn't have, but none really crimp the roster as it currently stands. Many other GMs have done exactly that. He's made good trades to supplement the roster, he just hasn't added the right mix to win the Cup. Well, same for most other GMs.

Old
07-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Stars-Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE M0DANO View Post
I'm not interested in Peca or Johnson, but I wouldn't mind seeing O'neill brought in. He's only 31 and did score 20 goals last season, which may not sound like much but is an upgrade on this Stars team. Only two players (Modano and Lehtinen) scored 20or more goals for the Stars last year.

Old
07-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Sixxleaf

O'neil might not be a bad move and he will be quite cheap I would expect. Although he was a healthy scratch for the leafs last 20 or so games last year, he just seemed to dissapear. Peca you have no real need for, plus the leafs need him back really to improve on their horrendous pk from last year.

Sixxleaf is offline   Reply With Quote