HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NYR - From Team Czech Republic to Team USA

Old
07-06-2007, 09:25 AM
CrookedRain

vCash: 500
Amen, brother.

people would do well to remember that the reason American and Canadian players play a more north/south style is because of the smaller size of the ice rinks in north America, while in Europe emphasis and premium is placed on skating and passing.

Personally, I could care less where the players come from just as long as they play entertaining hockey and hopefully win

...who among us could not crack a smile when Malik scored that ridiculous goal in the shootout against Kolzig? That's why hockey rules...

CrookedRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 09:36 AM
COMCASTMONEY
14yrs/$110m

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post

Nothing pisses me off more than the "soft Euro" label.
Swedes and Finns are on average as tough as any Canadian or American, but the Eastern European guys are more hit-or-miss in my opinion. Then again, I'm a Flyers fan so my experience with them is extremely limited beyond the 1976 Summit Series.

You guys have 6 Americans, 6 Czechs, and 7 Canadians with a Swede and a Russian. The Flyers have 3 Americans, 13 Canadians, and 4 Fins, making them easily the least diverse team in the league .

COMCASTMONEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 07:52 PM
CrookedRain

And while I could be wrong, I think that on the average the Flyers have been pretty much a north American style team much more so than other teams around the NHL.

While I do recall some Swedish and Finnish names easily, I'm having troubles recalling a lot of really good eastern Europeans on your team (I do seem to remember Roman Chechmanek putting in a few good years out in Philly).

I think Bobby Clarke's been doing you guys a disfavor in that area for a long time. As a matter of fact, if you follow the Flyers draft pattern you'd be safe in saying Clarke has a thing for north Americans almost to the detriment of the Flyers. But that's he gets for being a dinosaur...

Old
07-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedRain View Post
LOL. You can't possibly believe that "those kind of players just tend to be American and Canadian". Believe me, for every "lazy, soft" European there is a "hard working, hard nosed" Tom Poti lurking about.

People are people, man. Some people just play tough, some don't. Nationality has little to do with it and blind xenophobia will be the death of any NHL coach or GM that subscribes to it.

And as far as our drafts go, don't fool yourself about that - had we a shot at some of the "soft, lazy Europeans who figure skate around the pond" like say...Kovalchuck, Malkin or Ovechkin, we would've taken it.
You completely missed my point, even though you agreed with someone else who made the exact same point as me a few posts later. These nationality threads always turn into trouble because people take things out of context or are too sensitive.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 02:57 PM
CrookedRain

All I can go by is what you said. You stated that it just so happens that tough, hard nosed players tend to be Americans and Canadians. I strongly disagree with that just as I would strongly disagree with anyone who would conclude that Europeans tend to be more skilled.

I look past nationality, skin color, creed, whatever the case may be. I happen to think how tough a player is has nothing to do with the country they're born in (unlike say...Don Cherry).

And I do happen to believe that people who cling to a belief contrary to that will pay a dear price if they happen to be a GM or an NHL coach - see the Bobby Clarke argument above.

Don't get me wrong, I am not deeply offended if someone believed otherwise I would merely shrug their belief off and consider it ill conceived.

Old
07-09-2007, 04:05 PM
nyrmetros

I'd love to see more American flags and Rangers flags at MSG this season.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 05:59 PM
TrueBlue9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
i think the team has a great mix of north south and east west players now. Its really going to be hard for teams to figure the rangers out if their style of play changes one min to the next.
Agreed. how sweet would it be to throw out multiple scoring lines where one plays "North American" and the other "European". good luck making a game plan against that.

TrueBlue9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 06:20 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
I'd love to see more American flags and Rangers flags at MSG this season.
I'd love to see more Stanley Cup banners in MSG.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 07:04 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I'd love to see more Stanley Cup banners in MSG.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote