Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A different tact-Trading Daley

Old
07-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Starsdude

vCash: 500
A different tact-Trading Daley

Is anyone here really convinced that Daley has the size and strength necessary to be a top 4 d-man -To me, he is closer to Robidas than Boucher in terms of ability and versatility. Niskanen is only a year away and already shows ability on the pp that Trevor does not possess. I like Trevor as a 5/6 but if teams want a younger d-man perhaps paired with Ott or Miets to get a legit top 6 forward that is not a rental, moving Trevor is okay by me. Remember that Fistric is likely close and if the goal is to win now Boucher should be kept.

Does anyone think Daley/Ott or Miets could bring Ryder or even Murray

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 10:32 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude View Post
Is anyone here really convinced that Daley has the size and strength necessary to be a top 4 d-man -To me, he is closer to Robidas than Boucher in terms of ability and versatility. Niskanen is only a year away and already shows ability on the pp that Trevor does not possess. I like Trevor as a 5/6 but if teams want a younger d-man perhaps paired with Ott or Miets to get a legit top 6 forward that is not a rental, moving Trevor is okay by me. Remember that Fistric is likely close and if the goal is to win now Boucher should be kept.

Does anyone think Daley/Ott or Miets could bring Ryder or even Murray
Not gonna work. You make the mistake so many others make when talking about trading guys. You bash them and then expect to get something good for them. If daley is a 5/6 you arent gonna package him with a couple of 4th liners and get a legit top 6 forward.

As far as daley goes i think he is a good player. He hasnt really been given alot of powerplay time but that should come. He is really good at skating the puck up the ice. Hell last year countless times he skated the puck all the way towards the other teams net only to find absolutely noone to pass it to. Daleys offensive production should increase dramatically if the stars ever get anyone who actually goes to the net and can shoot teh puck.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Starsdude

Exactly, I do think there is some upside to daley which could attract other teams. I just think he is replaceable here but with guys like Wideman and ference playing big minutes in Boston , it could be a fit. I also think Smith is avery tradeable commodity if we have determined that Marty is going nowhere

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Stars-Preds

I actually think that could work. An offer of Daley and either Ott or Miettinen for Murray could be fair for both sides. Boston gets younger, dumps salary and the Stars grab a top-6 forward.

Stars-Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 11:35 AM
GabyKing

i have only managed to see him a few times and have heard alot of good things about him
his size is a little downfall but hes a good player to have in the new system
hes a great skater and is very young.. and to top it off i think you guys need to start lookin to the future dont think you have the team to go to the cup

GabyKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 02:42 PM
michael117

I like Daley a lot, but you have to do what's best for the team and if he could be packaged in a deal to get a young 30 goal potential scorer, it needs to be done. I think, though, that Daley will much more valuable in a year after he gets more ice-time because Sydor is gone. He will progress and grow more to give promise to potential suitors looking for a future top two defenseman. I think this team would be a young one who has young offensive talent but needs some defense to complement it (kind of like Pittsburg).

GabyKing: This player doesn't have to be old. The reason I was kind of happy to see Kozlov not make it to Dallas is that he's old. The Stars have a knack for putting out good young D and they should trade some of these for young scorers.

michael117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Chad_

To assume Niskanen has a better PP ability than Daley at this point is a bit premature. Daley hasn't exactly received much PP time, and Niskanen has played professional hockey for, what, two months? I would have dangled Daley for Boyes however, but not for a 34 year-old Murray who has been on the Bruins trading block for over a year.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 03:12 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
It's a fact Niskanen has better powerplay ability, Daley doesn't even have the patience with the the puck to run a powerplay like Niskanen does.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 03:16 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
Daley's one of my favorites so I'd hate to see him traded from a personal standpoint.

One thing to remember though is the weak "bridge" this team has between the vets and the youth. It basically consists of Morrow, Ribeiro, and Daley and if any of those get traded for older players then the Stars are pretty much guaranteed to have some hard times in the near future.

We ought to have an answer to the PP question with Daley after this season now that Sydor's gone. Grossman and Norstrom ain't playing on it.... sort of depends on how much Modano gets used at the point.

Last edited by piqued: 07-06-2007 at 03:22 PM.
piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 03:36 PM
OttMorrow

Send a message via AIM to OttMorrow
I've been all for shopping Daley for some time now. We may be able to get an overpayment for him and he's very replacable at a position of extreme depth. In several years if not sooner Niskanen > or = Daley.

OttMorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude View Post
Exactly, I do think there is some upside to daley which could attract other teams.
I'd keep him. With Zubov, Boucher, and Norstrom either about to run out of contract or hockey life, this team needs to keep him. He's still very young and well below the d-man age of ripeness.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
It's a fact Niskanen has better powerplay ability, Daley doesn't even have the patience with the the puck to run a powerplay like Niskanen does.
Potential, yes. Ability, I'd say no at this point in the game.

Old
07-06-2007, 05:24 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
Potential, yes. Ability, I'd say no at this point in the game.
I highly doubt you've seen Niskanen play other then in the prospect camp last year?

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
I highly doubt you've seen Niskanen play other then in the prospect camp last year?
I saw him play there and twice via an Internet webcast of Iowa games.

Old
07-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Dr GLU

Daley has absolutely zero instinct at the point, and he doesn't have the shot to be effective on the PP (he either misses or takes too long to get it off). He's much more of a threat sneaking down in the play.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Sixxleaf

Not a fan of Daley and believe the Stars have no real need for him so perhaps trading him would be the best route he would generate some intrest.

Sixxleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 10:51 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Daley has done nothing but show continual improvement on both ends of the ice.(if in small increments) The key is he keeps getting better. That says a lot about the guy. Yeah, he may not be a PP QB, but does that mean you go out and trade him? I think not. He's just fine on the second pair. I believe he's on pace to make a solid #3, if not a #2. As he gets smarter with his speed, and we get some guys used to his ability to drive to the net, he could become more of a factor offensively.

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 11:43 PM
Dr GLU

I didn't say trade him. I was responding to the guy that insinuated Daley was more apt on the PP than anybody. The only people Daley can outproduce on the PP are complete offensive nonfactors like Willie Mitchell.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 12:48 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLU View Post
Daley has absolutely zero instinct at the point, and he doesn't have the shot to be effective on the PP (he either misses or takes too long to get it off). He's much more of a threat sneaking down in the play.
He certainly is a threat sneaking down in the play. His speed allows him to pinch in and get back with little worry. I wish the stars would use him this way more often because its that type of thing that throws penalty killing units off and gets them running around. We need to see him get some more power play time and let him loose a bit.

Old
07-07-2007, 12:50 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by eartotheground View Post
Daley has done nothing but show continual improvement on both ends of the ice.(if in small increments) The key is he keeps getting better. That says a lot about the guy. Yeah, he may not be a PP QB, but does that mean you go out and trade him? I think not. He's just fine on the second pair. I believe he's on pace to make a solid #3, if not a #2. As he gets smarter with his speed, and we get some guys used to his ability to drive to the net, he could become more of a factor offensively.
Ive said it before, but Daley is already a large amount better defensively than most people thought he'd ever be. He concentrated alot on his positioning and has done a fine job. Of course he can get overpowered in the corners, which is why it would be good to pair him with a larger physical player.