HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boston Bruins salary cap figures - CAP TALK HERE !

Old
07-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Greek_physique
Caron - Legit SNIPER

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBruinmaker View Post
Also, does McEachern really belong there?
Ya, they bought him out for 2 years...this would be the final year.

07-22-2007, 03:53 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_physique View Post
Ya, they bought him out for 2 years...this would be the final year.
Then from what I understand, 2/3rds ($726K) of the remaining amount of McEachern's salary ($1.1M) is paid out over two years, meaning the B's are on the hook this season for $363K.

So $363K should be added to the salary list to keep it accurate.

PLAYER POS 2007-08 Cap Hit
CHARA, ZDENO D 7,500,000
SAVARD, MARC C 5,000,000
BERGERON, PATRICE C 4,750,000
FERNANDEZ, MANNY G 4,333,333
MURRAY, GLEN R 4,150,000
STURM, MARCO L 3,500,000
WARD, AARON D 2,750,000
KESSEL, PHIL C 2,200,000
AXELSSON, PJ L 1,850,000
STUART, MARK D 1,579,900
FERENCE, ANDREW D 1,400,000
ALBERTS, ANDREW D 1,250,000
KOBASEW, CHUCK R 1,200,000
THOMAS, TIM G 1,100,000
(DONOVAN, SHEAN R 925,000) -- REMOVE
CHISTOV, STANISLAV R 800,000
BOCHENSKI, BRANDON R 600,000
THORNTON, SHAWN L 516,667
MOWERS, MARK R 462,500
WIDEMAN, DENNIS D (RFA) -- ADD CONTRACT AMOUNT
Peter Schaefer -- ADD CONTRACT

Other Cap Hits
GREEN, TRAVIS 233,333
McEACHERN, SHAWN -- ADD CONTRACT AMOUNT ($363K)

Non Cap-hit Salaries
ZHAMNOV, ALEXEI C 4,100,000

PROVIDENCE BRUINS
Jeremy Reich -- ADD CONTRACT
Bobby Allen -- ADD CONTRACT
Jeff Hoggan -- ADD CONTRACT
RASK, TUUKKA G 3,200,000
KARSUMS, MARTINS R 883,333
KREJCI, DAVID C 883,333
LASHOFF, MATT D 850,000
SIGALET, JONATHAN D 821,667
LEHTONEN, MIKKO R 800,000
SOBOTKA, VLADIMIR C 750,000
MCQUAID, ADAM D 623,333
WALTER, BEN C 566,667
BROWN, MIKE G 541,667
TOIVONEN, HANNU G 532,000
COLLINS, CHRIS L 513,900
TREVELYAN, TJ L 512,500
RABBIT, WACEY C 506,667
THOMPSON, NATE C 483,333
DICASMIRRO, NATE L 462,500
PELLETIER, PASCAL L 462,500

MeisterBruinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2007, 04:44 PM
BadBruins

I was under the impression that even though McEachern was bought out, his salary would remain on the books as $1.1 million over the final year of his contract because he was over 35 when he signed the contract. In which case he had a $1.1 million cap hit last year, (even though the Bruins were only paying him buyout dollars) and he would be completely off the books this year.

Can anyone confirm this? Irish Blues?

BadBruins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2007, 04:51 PM
Irish Blues

McEachern shouldn't be on there - while he was indeed bought out, he was subject to the "35 and older" clause which meant he counted in full last season, but won't count this year.

Since Reich is one a 1-way contract, you can probably expect him to be in Boston at least to start the season.

07-22-2007, 06:24 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Greatest Of All Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
McEachern shouldn't be on there - while he was indeed bought out, he was subject to the "35 and older" clause which meant he counted in full last season, but won't count this year.

Since Reich is one a 1-way contract, you can probably expect him to be in Boston at least to start the season.
I just looked at your site, and you have Bobby Allen listed as $500,000, but I remember reading somewhere his cap hit was actually $525,000.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2007, 07:05 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Thanks for the info. I thought McEachern was off the books this season, but I couldn't remember the details.

Old
07-22-2007, 08:45 PM
Greek_physique
Caron - Legit SNIPER

Sorry about that;

My mistake about the McEachern cap hit......I always thought it was 2 years.
Maybe I got confused with T.Green...

Greek_physique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2007, 10:24 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsFTW View Post
I just looked at your site, and you have Bobby Allen listed as $500,000, but I remember reading somewhere his cap hit was actually $525,000.
(looks at the most recent information)

The $525,000 figure might be out there because he's slated to earn $125,000 in the AHL but is guaranteed $150,000 no matter what ... but according to the NHL, they have his Averaged Amount (cap hit) as $500,000.

And before anyone asks ... no, he wouldn't be subject to recall waivers since he has over 320 professional games under his belt (NHL and AHL, regular season and playoffs).

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 02:41 AM
MeisterBruinmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_physique View Post
My mistake about the McEachern cap hit......I always thought it was 2 years.
Maybe I got confused with T.Green...
Kudos for being standup ...

Old
08-01-2007, 07:35 PM
Milan Lucic

Does anyone else feel the urge to vomit when looking at Sturm's contract? Good God is he overpaid...and for a while too.

Milan Lucic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 08:41 PM
DBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
Does anyone else feel the urge to vomit when looking at Sturm's contract? Good God is he overpaid...and for a while too.
...what does Zhamnov's contract do for you?...

They get him for the prime years of his career. They are paying him for what he will do. Not for what he did do. Have little problem with that contract. He has good potential to hit 30 goal seasons here in Boston and that would warrent that kind of cash.

DBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Milan Lucic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritoftheBruins View Post
...what does Zhamnov's contract do for you?...

They get him for the prime years of his career. They are paying him for what he will do. Not for what he did do. Have little problem with that contract. He has good potential to hit 30 goal seasons here in Boston and that would warrent that kind of cash.
Luckily Zhamnov's contract doesnt count towards the cap

As for Sturm, I still think he should be getting 2.8/yr tops. I wonder if they offered him less, or they started with 3.5/yr on the table. I know Boyes was a center, but I wish we kept him instead of signing Sturm long-term...he was cheaper, younger, and just as good as Sturm. They are both equally inconsistent.

Last edited by Milan Lucic: 08-01-2007 at 10:10 PM.
Milan Lucic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Luckily Zhamnov's contract doesnt count towards the cap

As for Sturm, I still think he should be getting 2.8/yr tops. I wonder if they offered him less, or they started with 3.5/yr on the table. I know Boyes was a center, but I wish we kept him instead of signing Sturm long-term...he was cheaper, younger, and just as good as Sturm. They are both equally inconsistent.
its a fallacy to continue to tell people zhamnovs contract wont count against the cap

in fact every single cent of it will count against the cap. the bruins have the option to have someone replace him that wont count, but he will count.

the replacement cant make more than zhamonov makes... but all of zhamnovs money will count. it is simply the replacement making as much or less money that doesnt count.

i hope this clears things up. in practical terms some portion of zhamnovs contract will eat up some wiggle room that otherwise would be available. it is unlikely that zhamnovs replacement will make the same money as zhmanov unless somone like savard or bergeron can be desinated as the replacement.

if the bruins were over the limit by the exact amount of zhamnovs contract to the penny... then in theory they could get relief to the full amount of zhmnovs deal... otherwise, we have to face the reality that there will be some amount of zhamnovs deal that will come off the cap room this season

this is a nit picky subject for me, but ive been told im wrong so many times when bostons own management says im riight, the cba says im right, the websites that follow this type of stuff say im right...

its just the way it is

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 11:13 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
its a fallacy to continue to tell people zhamnovs contract wont count against the cap

in fact every single cent of it will count against the cap. the bruins have the option to have someone replace him that wont count, but he will count.

the replacement cant make more than zhamonov makes... but all of zhamnovs money will count. it is simply the replacement making as much or less money that doesnt count.

i hope this clears things up. in practical terms some portion of zhamnovs contract will eat up some wiggle room that otherwise would be available. it is unlikely that zhamnovs replacement will make the same money as zhmanov unless somone like savard or bergeron can be desinated as the replacement.

if the bruins were over the limit by the exact amount of zhamnovs contract to the penny... then in theory they could get relief to the full amount of zhmnovs deal... otherwise, we have to face the reality that there will be some amount of zhamnovs deal that will come off the cap room this season

this is a nit picky subject for me, but ive been told im wrong so many times when bostons own management says im riight, the cba says im right, the websites that follow this type of stuff say im right...

its just the way it is

Enough is enough Mike. One radio interview where Benning claimed we were "right up against the cap due to Zhamnov" does not make you right. Do you assume that Benning knows his salary can be "replaced"? If not than that is a totally different issue.

There are certainly ways to make Zhamnov's contract hit obsolete. Can they designate any one contract to offset it? If so, then I believe Murray is awful close. Even if they have to use Sturm at 3.5m that is only essentially a 500k cap hit. So his "salary", except a small percentage, would not effect the cap.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2007, 06:50 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Enough is enough Mike. One radio interview where Benning claimed we were "right up against the cap due to Zhamnov" does not make you right. Do you assume that Benning knows his salary can be "replaced"? If not than that is a totally different issue.

There are certainly ways to make Zhamnov's contract hit obsolete. Can they designate any one contract to offset it? If so, then I believe Murray is awful close. Even if they have to use Sturm at 3.5m that is only essentially a 500k cap hit. So his "salary", except a small percentage, would not effect the cap.
you make my point for me... its a question right? one that you and me reading the cba doesnt really answer to you or to me.

you seem to know it answers it... but i doubt you read it, cause you dont quote it or anything or show me how it answers it to you.

glen murray was here before zhamnov... if murray did qualify as the replacement, it is something i dont know... no one ever said he was the replacement

the actual wording that irish blue's site has used to explain the rule from the cba says that as many players as necessary can be used to replace zhamnov... but it says replace him

there is no where that says zhamnov can be put onto the ir before he fails his physical. it does say he must miss a certain number of games before he can be placed on it

i think this pretty much means he will be on the active cap till he fails the cap and till he misses enough games.

at that point, i think we will get relief for the remainder or all of his deal... but im not sure... i dont get to ask these questions to the experts

it seems we went over the cap last year... maybe its because of zhamnov... dont be so arrogant to sit there and say it wasnt because of him

an actual empoyed manager of the team says zhamnov effects our cap. you are the hight of arrogance everytime you definitely say he doesnt

the cba says he does... the way the rules are written say he does

the bruin gm says he does.

evidence says he does

your opinion seems naive and blowhardy... you are a great fan.. one of the great posters here... but you have stated your position on this matter 100 times or more without ever offering one shred of proof to back it up

fans have continued to ask about this matter over the years... i think its fair for me to give them the actual real facts of the matter.

he may not have a negative impact this year... i have suggested trading him... weve seen other teams send people to the ahl... if there is a problem... i do realize it can be addressed

but the way the rules read... if hes around... he will eat up all wiggle room.

the relief only works on the portion of his contract that puts us over the cap... so by autimatic understanding of the rules... any wiggle room must be eaten beofre the first penny of relief kicks in

there is allowances to go over the cap due to bonues... and kessel and stuart have bonues... so im not saying this is easy to understand or hopeless for us

im just saying it isnt the simple mickey mouse world you seem to wish it was

Old
08-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
you make my point for me... its a question right? one that you and me reading the cba doesnt really answer to you or to me.

you seem to know it answers it... but i doubt you read it, cause you dont quote it or anything or show me how it answers it to you.

glen murray was here before zhamnov... if murray did qualify as the replacement, it is something i dont know... no one ever said he was the replacement

the actual wording that irish blue's site has used to explain the rule from the cba says that as many players as necessary can be used to replace zhamnov... but it says replace him

there is no where that says zhamnov can be put onto the ir before he fails his physical. it does say he must miss a certain number of games before he can be placed on it

i think this pretty much means he will be on the active cap till he fails the cap and till he misses enough games.

at that point, i think we will get relief for the remainder or all of his deal... but im not sure... i dont get to ask these questions to the experts

it seems we went over the cap last year... maybe its because of zhamnov... dont be so arrogant to sit there and say it wasnt because of him

an actual empoyed manager of the team says zhamnov effects our cap. you are the hight of arrogance everytime you definitely say he doesnt

the cba says he does... the way the rules are written say he does

the bruin gm says he does.

evidence says he does

your opinion seems naive and blowhardy... you are a great fan.. one of the great posters here... but you have stated your position on this matter 100 times or more without ever offering one shred of proof to back it up

fans have continued to ask about this matter over the years... i think its fair for me to give them the actual real facts of the matter.

he may not have a negative impact this year... i have suggested trading him... weve seen other teams send people to the ahl... if there is a problem... i do realize it can be addressed

but the way the rules read... if hes around... he will eat up all wiggle room.

the relief only works on the portion of his contract that puts us over the cap... so by autimatic understanding of the rules... any wiggle room must be eaten beofre the first penny of relief kicks in

there is allowances to go over the cap due to bonues... and kessel and stuart have bonues... so im not saying this is easy to understand or hopeless for us

im just saying it isnt the simple mickey mouse world you seem to wish it was

Mike, you are a good guy, but you get hyperfocused on certain things to the point of being delusional. He failed his physical last year and we were given status on his contract as a long term injury exemption. KPD posted this several times here. You continue to rant on that he counts against our cap but he does not. Do you really think we were allowed to be 4m over the cap all year last year? Add up the salaries and it is pretty clear that we are right up to the cap WITHOUT Zhamnov's deal.

I have no idea if your irrational desire to have him count on the cap stems from an equally irrational desire to make up whacked out trade rumors with Nashville taking him on and giving us a player or pick. Either way, he has been given LTIR status and he hasnt counted against our cap since he failed his physical and waltzed off back to Russia.

CLARIFICATION-While I understand that there are some restrictions it clearly states that we can replace the full salary if we are going over the cap. Therefore we are not "handcuffed" by his salary.

Last edited by Bruwinz37: 08-14-2007 at 07:25 PM.
Old
08-14-2007, 07:55 PM
Bruwinz37

Lets use this example as in Irish Blues web site:

(a) Illustration: A Player with a Player Salary of $1.5 million becomes unfit to play for more than 24 days and 10 games. At the time the Player becomes unfit to play, the Club has an Averaged Club Salary of $39.5 million, and the Upper Limit is $40 million. The Club may replace the unfit-to-play Player with another Player of Players with an aggregate Player Salary and Bonuses of up to $1.5 million. The first $500,000 of such replacement salary and bonuses shall count toward the Club's Average Club Salary, bringing the Averaged Club Salary to the Upper Limit. The Club may then exceed the Upper Limit by up to another $1 million as a result of the replacement salary and bonuses. However, if the unfit-to-play Player once again becomes fit to play, and the Club has not otherwise created any Payroll Room during the interim period, then the Player shall not be permitted to rejoin the Club until such time as the Club reduces its Averaged Club Salary to below the Upper Limit.

This is essentially saying exactly what I am saying. You can replace the salary of the injured player with a player OR players AND in doing so you can go over the cap. The only trick is if the player is coming back...and Zhamnov will not be coming back.

So say the Bruins are at 50m and the cap is 52 (estimates). Zhamnov's 4m is allowed to be replaced and the first two million goes against the cap bringing them to the limit and then they are allowed to go over by another 2m.

Also, the way I read it is if the Bruins are at 52m (at the hypothetical cap) including Zhamnov's contract then they can have their real limit be 56m as they are allowed to replace his salary. So while his contract still "counts" it really is washed out as we are allowed to go over.

Old
08-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

ok... i think probably in the end we arent really disagreeing

i take exception when people say that zhamovs contract doesnt effect us, cause it clearly does... i think you would feel that whatever effects it has are going to be dealt with and we dont need to confuse people getting into the details

for what its worth... here is my laymens opinion how it works..

i think it seems likely Savard has been named his replacement... and Savard does make more than Zhamnov... so we will always get a full relief of the full value of Zhamnov's contract

my only real personal concern based on my own understanding of this rule is i dont know if zhamnov can be put on the list from day one. i think maybe he must wait to miss those 10 games so possibly some 500-700k or so of his salary will end up going against the cap in the meantime.

if his status does carry over from last season then no worries.. ive never seen it written anywhere that he automatically has been declared unfit for ever... i think he will need to fail another phsyical and miss the games again...

its just my guess based on what ive read... but overall, it seems to make sense that we could call savard his replacement and that takes care of most of the bigger problems with this mess

sending him to the AHL prob is against the rules of the cba since he is injured. we cant buy him out. he isnt going to retire... so we are kind of stuck. trading him would make me happy, but there must be a reason we havent done it yet. he does technically eat our wiggle room... but if savard is his replacement, that point is very moot. we can exceed the cap by his full salary so wiggle room is irrelevent

Old
08-15-2007, 08:04 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
ok... i think probably in the end we arent really disagreeing

i take exception when people say that zhamovs contract doesnt effect us, cause it clearly does... i think you would feel that whatever effects it has are going to be dealt with and we dont need to confuse people getting into the details

for what its worth... here is my laymens opinion how it works..

i think it seems likely Savard has been named his replacement... and Savard does make more than Zhamnov... so we will always get a full relief of the full value of Zhamnov's contract

my only real personal concern based on my own understanding of this rule is i dont know if zhamnov can be put on the list from day one. i think maybe he must wait to miss those 10 games so possibly some 500-700k or so of his salary will end up going against the cap in the meantime.

if his status does carry over from last season then no worries.. ive never seen it written anywhere that he automatically has been declared unfit for ever... i think he will need to fail another phsyical and miss the games again...

its just my guess based on what ive read... but overall, it seems to make sense that we could call savard his replacement and that takes care of most of the bigger problems with this mess

sending him to the AHL prob is against the rules of the cba since he is injured. we cant buy him out. he isnt going to retire... so we are kind of stuck. trading him would make me happy, but there must be a reason we havent done it yet. he does technically eat our wiggle room... but if savard is his replacement, that point is very moot. we can exceed the cap by his full salary so wiggle room is irrelevent
Mike, it is just technicalities...it counts, but it doesnt. The only thing IB's site does not account for is an extreme, career ending LTIE. Obviously there are snafus if it happens during the course of the year and the player returns, but Zhamnov is gone forever. Hub commented on this last year after he could not play in the first 10 games and failed his physical. Truly his number is NOT effecting our cap # in terms of spending on active players. It is just worded to make you think it does.

Old
08-15-2007, 12:56 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Cheng View Post
Here's how the numbers look right now:

==============================================
NHL Salary Cap 50,300,000
Total Salary 46,700,734
Cap Space 3,599,266

PLAYER POS 2007-08 Cap Hit
CHARA, ZDENO D 7,500,000
SAVARD, MARC C 5,000,000
BERGERON, PATRICE C 4,750,000
FERNANDEZ, MANNY G 4,333,333
MURRAY, GLEN R 4,150,000
STURM, MARCO L 3,500,000
WARD, AARON D 2,750,000
KESSEL, PHIL C 2,200,000
AXELSSON, PJ L 1,850,000
STUART, MARK D 1,579,900
FERENCE, ANDREW D 1,400,000
ALBERTS, ANDREW D 1,250,000
KOBASEW, CHUCK R 1,200,000
THOMAS, TIM G 1,100,000
DONOVAN, SHEAN R 925,000
CHISTOV, STANISLAV R 800,000
BOCHENSKI, BRANDON R 600,000
THORNTON, SHAWN L 516,667
MOWERS, MARK R 462,500
WIDEMAN, DENNIS D RFA

Other Cap Hits
GREEN, TRAVIS 233,333
McEACHERN, SHAWN

Non Cap-hit Salaries
ZHAMNOV, ALEXEI C 4,100,000

PROVIDENCE BRUINS

RASK, TUUKKA G 3,200,000
KARSUMS, MARTINS R 883,333
KREJCI, DAVID C 883,333
LASHOFF, MATT D 850,000
SIGALET, JONATHAN D 821,667
LEHTONEN, MIKKO R 800,000
SOBOTKA, VLADIMIR C 750,000
MCQUAID, ADAM D 623,333
WALTER, BEN C 566,667
BROWN, MIKE G 541,667
TOIVONEN, HANNU G 532,000
COLLINS, CHRIS L 513,900
TREVELYAN, TJ L 512,500
RABBIT, WACEY C 506,667
THOMPSON, NATE C 483,333
DICASMIRRO, NATE L 462,500
PELLETIER, PASCAL L 462,500

==============================================
If this is to be a sticky, can you update so it is current? Most of the corrections are noted in this thread. Thanks

Old
08-22-2007, 05:48 AM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Goaltending
Fernandez 4.333.333
Thomas 1.1
TOTAL>>>>>>>>>> 5.433,333

first recall
Jordan Sigalet .450k
Tukka Rask 3.2

*analysis of goaltending... Fernandez and Thomas are both signed for 2 years. I think Boston Management expects Rask to be our starter by year three so neither Fernandez nor Thomas figure strongly to be around longer than that. Thomas is a bit pricey as a backup unless he is going to be starting more than 30 games. Fernandez is pricey for a starter unless he is going to be starting more than 50 games. I think Boston will move Thomas sometime this year or next if Fernandez can stay healthy and get the job done. Sigalet is an AHL goalie at best... but will be the callup for now given Rask's huge bonus structure and his age and the team's salary cap situation.

starting 7 dmen
Chara 7.5
Ward 2,75
Stuart 1.579.900
Ferrence 1.4
Alberts 1.25
Wideman .6
Allen .5
TOTAL>>>>>>>>>> 15.5799

first recalls
Lashoff .850
Sigalet .821,667
McQuaid .623,555

*analysis of the D... We obviously are paying Chara to be the 'Man.' and last year we used him as such. He makes almost as much money as everyone else on the D put together. Ward, Stuart, Wideman will all get new contracts next year. Stuart might not qualify for a raise as his current deal is largely bonus based. Ward probably can't be brought back unless he takes a paycut. We need an upgrade over him even if it costs a couple million more dollars. Lashoff will likely push one of Wideman or Alberts for their spot sooner than later. It should repersent a bit of a savings to us next year as Wideman will either earn a big raise or wash out this season. I think Bruin management in crossing their fingers that Lashoff/Stuart will make an impact before this season is done and we can make do with this basic group pretty much for the next 2/3 years with minimum adjustments of just 1 or 2 guys a season keeping the overall dollars spent here right around this 15-16 million dollar mark unless there is significant increases in the cap.

Top 14 Forwards
Savard 5
Bergeron 4.75
Murray 4.15
Sturm 3.5
Kessel 2.2
Schaffer 2.1
Axelsson 1.85
Kobasew ` 1.2
Krecji .8
Soderberg .763,333
Bochenski .6
Thornton .516,667
Reich .487,500
Mowers 462,500
TOTAL>>>>>>>>> 28.38

First Recalls
Walter 566,667
Hogan 495
Thompson ,483,333

*analysis of our forwards...we are paying these guys like royalty so its up to them to earn the bucks. Not many teams have 7 guys all earning over 1.8 mill this year. It probably is a luxery we can't afford to go forward with. If the team gels... and lights it up... and everyone buys into the defensive plan and hustles on their checks... we have alot of individual talent and skill here. Our forward group may end up being the deepest and most producitve group in the NHL. Up top we have a couple guys that already proved they can challange to be top 10 in the scoring race when healthy and a bonafide 40 goal threat to shoot home their passes. The team doesnt have anyone that is on his last legs slowing them down... no one should fall off the map... no one is impossible to improve over last year's performances. We didn't get any crazy career years last season out of anyone... so they all have room to step it up. Chemistry/heart/leadership will be keys to what happens. I think Axelsson is the sore thumb sticking up as a guy that probably is too expensive to keep. If Soderberg/Krecji/Bochenski dont fail at camp... Axelsson is likely going to soon be looking at 4th line duty and he makes too much money for that role with us as tight as we are to the cap. Looking forward, Kobasew or Bocheski could be the guys that get the big raises next year if either breaks out this year. Murray will be more tradable the closer he gets to the end of his deal. If Bochenski does force a huge raise... it will probably result in Murray becoming expendable as both players are shooters and it would mean Bochenski was ready to step up to a top line.

I predict we are looking at lines something like this at the moment...

Murray/Savard/Soderberg {hard to put a rookie on a number 1 line but Julien has done it before}

Bochenski/Bergeron/Sturm {doesnt make alot of sense to me to break up Bergeron/Sturm}

Kobasew/Kessel/Schaeffer {Kessel gets a couple guys that have decent skills and can play defense for him}

Thompson/Reich/Axelsson {waste of Axelsson to be on a 4th line and we really should have a crash and bang center suited up here}

Krecji/Mowers {i hope Krecji wont end up in the pressbox much... not sure if 4th line duty is better for him... probably is slotted to be sent back to Providence early in the season unless Soderberg falters}

Chara/Alberts {Chara will play 30 mins a game and partner with everyone}

Ward/Stuart {might as well try to get these two together and try to let Stuart learn some good habits from a dependable vet}

Ferrence/Wideman {these two will lose the most shifts to Chara who will compensate their lack of size i think. So much depends this year on how Wideman comes out the gates.}

Allen {if Lashoff makes the team I guess Ward or Alberts would get dealt... Allen was signed to be the 7 guy unless im greatly mistaken}

FINAL THOUGHTS
this teams starting cap hit is 49.39233 million with another 233,333 tacked on for Travis Green's buyout leaving us at around 800K below the cap max

Stuart and Kessel may not reach their bonues. We might get some relief there by the time the trade deadline rolls around. Krecji makes more than Walter or Thomson so if he gets sent down, we will save a couple hundred K there too.

Overall... its really Axelsson that is the biggest opportunity to save caproom if we wanted to upgrade the D. If he is going to be a 4th line PK guy... they really usually make about a million dollars less than he is pulling down for us this year. It is a bit strange we traded for Schaeffer but once we did... I think the writing went up on the wall for PJ that he is going to get moved soon.

Chistov signing in Russia is a good thing for us. It saves a couple hundred K and we keep his rights. If he deserves to come back, we have him at 800k for another season... he might be a real good bargain one day.

The team overall is tight with its spending... but most key guys are on long term deals. Fitting Rask in over the next 2 years would be hard but hes the only cap issue that might really prove unmanagable. Everyone else will solve their own problems. If the forwards push for raises... Murray becomes expendable and that fixes itself. If the cap goes up a couple million next year, that allows us to upgrade over Ward assuming he didnt get the job done as the number 2 this year. As other guys force raises... we do have a number of NHL prospects in the pipeline signed to step into secondary spots on the team.

Its obviously a bit of a concern we got so close to the cap ceiling with a team that missed the playoffs last year... but there is room for optomism too

even people that question Fernandez being worth 4 million cant possibly say he isnt a huge upgrade over the tending we got the last 2 years.

Chara was a norris candadate for 2 years before last season... and we didnt see that ourselves. He has better hockey in him then we got... the new coach and a better team effort around him has a good chance of getting us more from our 7.5 million dollar man

we have youth in alot of spots that could easily step it up. Bochenski scored 55 goals over his last 80 games in the AHL and 22 already in his first 82 games at the NHL level. The kid can score goals. Kessel was and is an immensely talented player that might just be the future superstar on this team. Bergeron has hit the ground running on fire and we forget how young he is. He has played with second tier linemates and played hurt and still been a PPG player the last 2 seasons.

Lots of reasons this team might make a quantum leap forward... and the only real negative we can fear is a bit of a lack of leadership maybe??? Maybe a history that this team has quit too easy in tough spots the last 2 years???

with a defensive minded coach, a new goaltender that plays fundamental hockey and doesnt allow gutchurning bizzare goals against him, and a full year for our leadership to have a chance to stamp this team as their own... bring on the season.

Go Bruins go

Old
08-28-2007, 12:02 PM
Gee Wally
Grumpy

Awards:
handy Cap link that Spector had listed :

http://www.nhlscap.com/cap_faq.htm#article_50.10

Last edited by Gee Wally: 08-28-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Bowtie72

Quote:
It's called MARKET VALUE!!!

Bowtie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2007, 03:15 PM
Richard Murray
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Richard Murray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie72 View Post
It's called MARKET VALUE!!!
he didnt get paid market value, he was overpaid

Richard Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 04:47 AM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

30 goal scorers with great attitudes and the willingness to pick up defensive zone assignments are going to get 3.5 million in the market as it stands today

there was a certain PR preasure to keep Sturm since he and Kobasew are now the best chances to salvage something from the Thornton trade. If those 2 are combinding for 50 goals-100 points a season at around 6 million between them and Thornton is scoring around 30 goals-100 points a season then the trade isnt going to seem as bad once our team gets its act together and starts making the playoffs again

Sturm is now here longterm. Kobasew is a kid. Even Ferrence is one of the better 5/6 dmen in hockey. Its about managing the cap and getting depth and Sturm at 3.5 million as a second line sniper is fair value when you look around the NHL and see what other teams pay for second line snipers that can score 30 goals