HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Cullen

Old
07-06-2007, 03:42 PM
darrenturcotte#8

vCash: 500
Matt Cullen

I am tired of reading all these trade Matt Cullen comments. He has never broken the 50 point mark in his career. His 41 points last year are right in line with what he produces. He is, however, the best 3RD line center in the game. He scored 3 SHG's last year and lead the Rangers in playoff face-off wins. He has all the intangibles, which Carolina needed to win the cup. Maybe if he was on the ice over Nylander for the final minute of game 5, we would have been in the Conf. finals. And no, his Cap number isn't very high either. Compare Cullens $2.8 mill cap hit with 32-yr-old Todd White's 4 year/$9.5 mill contract ($2.4 mill) that was just signed in Atlanta. Please tell me how we are over paying. LEAVE MATT CULLEN ALONE!

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 03:48 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

I think Cullens salary is fine as well. I'll disagree he's that hes the best 3rd line center, but hes a very good one that can produce.

I wouldn't trade him. I'd rather just dump Malik somehow and free up his salary.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Levitate

The point is that he makes enough money to make it worthwhile to move him if cap space is needed, and that his contract isn't so absurd now that someone wouldn't take it.

It's less about trying to get rid of the and more about him being an option if the Rangers need to make cap space.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Nich

hey matt is great, and we rather keep him, we just are exploring options if we run out of cap space.

have a drink man....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
He was brought in with hopes of being a 2nd line center, he didn't live up to this, and as a result perhaps cost Shanahan another 40+ goal season (well, maybe the injury cost him too, but still)

I still like him, and he's a great 3rd liner and pker, but overpaid on this team as it stands right now, and if his salary costs us being able to sign Avery or Shanny, then he must go, because we have plenty of 3rd liners in the system, sorry.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 03:53 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
have a drink man....
Already started...

IF cap space is needed, Malik can join Hugh Jessiman and go play with the Charlotte Checkers. I just don't see Cullen as a replaceable part.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 03:54 PM
JR#9*

I agree, he's finally found his role on the team, is one of the best 3rd line centers in the NHL, offers up versatility if needed with injuries, makes a reasonable 2.9 million for 3 more years, has some of the best wheels in the game and the NYR's want to be built around alot of speed.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Larry Melnyk

Persoanlly, I am no fan of Cullen's game and he was an obvious, predictable flop at the 2nd C...However, that being said, I do agree that he is a pretty darn good 3rd C...

But in the wold of the Cap, the question you have to ask is it worth it to be paying 3 mill per on a 3rd line C? I don't think so..I also think you have to take this on a team by team basis...It isn't just comparing Cullen to other 3rd line C's around the leauge (of which he is one of the highest paid), but also taking into account the Rangers individual cap and salary status, which I think would be helped tremendously by getting rid of Cullen's 3 mill salary and perhaps giving some of the money to Avery in his arbitration and slotting himi as the 3rd line C--where I think he belongs and where I think he could be a better help to the Rangers---I think we need some meat at the 3rd C spot after Gomez and Drury...And some of Cullen's salary can also be used for a D-man or even Lundqvists...Just a question of cap and asset mangement..I won't be pissed if Cullen stays and he could prbably help the team but it might help more if he was dealt and his salary used elsewhere (or he is turned into a D-man)...No rush though..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 03:58 PM
The Thomas J.*

I like Cullen, Loved it when they signed him last off season. Last year during a game in carolina, Peter laviolette said during an interview that Mat Cullen's game has got game, thats a real high compliment.

Just think how many SHG's Gomez & Cullen are gonna score next season & beyond.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 04:04 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I like Cullen, Loved it when they signed him last off season. Last year during a game in carolina, Peter laviolette said during an interview that Mat Cullen's game has got game, thats a real high compliment.

Just think how many SHG's Gomez & Cullen are gonna score next season & beyond.
Gomez has 0 career shg, drury on the other hand has 7.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 04:11 PM
frozenrubber

I cannot explain how much I hated Matt Cullen coming in. Carolina playoffs aside, his time in Florida I loathed him.

Like many players in Florida, they were hoping for more and he was plugged around in holes he couldn't fill.

During the first few months as a Ranger, there were many Florida-esque nights. His effort and play were not consistent from game to game and flashes of speed and occasional interest didn't impress me much.

However, during later in the season, he has an ON switch. A lot of this either coincided with him being re-distributed on the 3rd line and getting PP quarterback duty. All of a sudden, while not physically intimidating, he finished checks. He chased down loose pucks, even ones he knew he wouldn't get to (which he did very little of early in the season).

Matt Cullen is an excellent role player and simply excels when placed in this role. While most certainly a possible cap causality (especially if they want a serious SC push, they NEED a 25 minute defensemen), I love the idea of a speedy, smart 3rd line center. Especially since it keeps Avery on the wing (where he isn't over his head trying to do too much).

I also very much hope he will be a bastion on the 2nd line PP. While it might not be fair to bash Straka (b/c of the shoulder/bicep injury), Cullen controls and most importantly, moves the puck very quickly and decisively in a PP quarterback role and is the best forward the Rangers have for such a role. While giving a breather to defensemen, I want to see as much as Cullen as possible on the PP.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 04:16 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Cullen is easily one of the fastest guys on our team as well. he can provide that offensive punch when its needed and is a very good pker. Keep him.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Taz

I love Matt Cullen, i dont understand why people think he is overpaid, fantastic skating, good face offs. He provides secondry scoring 35-45 points. He has a decent shot if he is set up and great at rushing the puck up the ice other then that he isnt very creative and isnt great at finishing. But thats why he is on the 3rd, underrated physically too.

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 04:21 PM
pavvento

This team is in Stanley Cup mode with these signings. You win cups with guys like Drury and yea, guys like Cullen. To spend all this money on Gomez and Drury and then trade a guy like Cullen to have a young inexperienced guy come in from Hartford would be an awful move and counterproductive.

pavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 04:27 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
This team is in Stanley Cup mode with these signings. You win cups with guys like Drury and yea, guys like Cullen. To spend all this money on Gomez and Drury and then trade a guy like Cullen to have a young inexperienced guy come in from Hartford would be an awful move and counterproductive.
Is it counterproductive? As current situated, the Rangers REALLY need a top pairing defensemen. Hopes for Rozsival & Girardi to post as impressive performances coupled with Staal to run out the gate with shutdown play is nothing one can bank on.

If Cullen&Mara were moved, you could have a Kubina, Jovo, Souray (eek), etc addition on defense. That's 6 million dollars to upgrade a glaring hole. Defense by committee works in the regular season, but go-to defensemen are of the most importance come playoff time. *Other than Kubina, I'm not actively endorsing the other two listed defensemen*

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
Agree with what Frozenrubber said..And though it is an option, nobody is beating the drums to put an inexperienced kid from Hartford in his place....Maybe an Avery? Maybe a Dubinsky forces his way into that role, but I kinda doubt it this year....Don't think there are many options..But we also need another D-man..And maybe decision will have to be made based on prioritized needs..But .If the Rangers can get that D-man, sign everybody under the Cap and keep Cullen, Sather will deserve even more credit..Again, no rush in any of this...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 05:02 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

i think a season playing in his proper role will do wonders for him. he was not a 2nd line center so it's no surprise he struggled for part of the season.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
I think Cullens salary is fine as well. I'll disagree he's that hes the best 3rd line center, but hes a very good one that can produce.

I wouldn't trade him. I'd rather just dump Malik somehow and free up his salary.
id rather dump cullen than malik to be honest.

cullen is tied up for several more years, and really isnt that great. hes a good 3rd liner, but i highly doubt dubinsky couldnt put up similar numbers playing w/ prucha and cally, actually i think he might be better for the job since he can use his size to create space.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 05:38 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Drej

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
id rather dump cullen than malik to be honest.

cullen is tied up for several more years, and really isnt that great. hes a good 3rd liner, but i highly doubt dubinsky couldnt put up similar numbers playing w/ prucha and cally, actually i think he might be better for the job since he can use his size to create space.
dubinsky couldnt go in that line. at least not this year. Dubinsky may put up similar numbers in the future, but Cullen is better now. Cullen has play off experience, and has won the cup before. The rookie dubinsky wouldnt do so hot. Cullen can win win faceoffs, and play well on the pp and pk. hed do better on the pp, if the rangers used him more on the point. In a year were the rangers are making a better run at the cup, you dont want to experiment with rookies

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
dubinsky couldnt go in that line. at least not this year. Dubinsky may put up similar numbers in the future, but Cullen is better now. Cullen has play off experience, and has won the cup before. The rookie dubinsky wouldnt do so hot. Cullen can win win faceoffs, and play well on the pp and pk. hed do better on the pp, if the rangers used him more on the point. In a year were the rangers are making a better run at the cup, you dont want to experiment with rookies
i absolutely, 110% disagree with everything in this post. first and foremost everything here, (and in my post) is heresay, just guesstimations, but there is no saying the Dubinsky cant do the same. And what is it about Cullens game that is so irreplaceable? the speed factor? i dunno...hes just nothing special imho. hes a good guy to plug in the lineup to fill holes, or on your 3rd line, but hes got a fairly big and long contract, he should be the first to go to create flexability for this team.

Old
07-06-2007, 05:55 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
I am tired of reading all these trade Matt Cullen comments. He has never broken the 50 point mark in his career. His 41 points last year are right in line with what he produces. He is, however, the best 3RD line center in the game. He scored 3 SHG's last year and lead the Rangers in playoff face-off wins. He has all the intangibles, which Carolina needed to win the cup. Maybe if he was on the ice over Nylander for the final minute of game 5, we would have been in the Conf. finals. And no, his Cap number isn't very high either. Compare Cullens $2.8 mill cap hit with 32-yr-old Todd White's 4 year/$9.5 mill contract ($2.4 mill) that was just signed in Atlanta. Please tell me how we are over paying. LEAVE MATT CULLEN ALONE!
Absolutely. How do you build a team loaded for a cup run like this only to get rid of a player like Cullen that you acquire for a cup run like this?

No way they deal him. I'd be pissed and shocked. The 3rd line was the scariest line on the ice during the Sabres series. Even the Sabre fans were coming here and saying it.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Absolutely. How do you build a team loaded for a cup run like this only to get rid of a player like Cullen that you acquire for a cup run like this?

No way they deal him. I'd be pissed and shocked. The 3rd line was the scariest line on the ice during the Sabres series. Even the Sabre fans were coming here and saying it.
flexability my friend. something we absolutely destroyed with the 2 braindead signings weve made this year in gomez and drury (more gomez than drury though). getting rid of cullens contract helps us retain henrik now, and helps us remain more flexible in the future.

it has nothing to do with WANTING to get rid of him. if the cap wasnt a concern, of course id rather have dubinsky spend a year in the minors, and cullen stay this year (trade him in the offseason to make room), but it IS a concern...a MAJOR concern. and the best contract to move in the entire club is Cullens, since its long term and for big dollars compared to his productivity.

Old
07-06-2007, 06:19 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
flexability my friend. something we absolutely destroyed with the 2 braindead signings weve made this year in gomez and drury (more gomez than drury though). getting rid of cullens contract helps us retain henrik now, and helps us remain more flexible in the future.

it has nothing to do with WANTING to get rid of him. if the cap wasnt a concern, of course id rather have dubinsky spend a year in the minors, and cullen stay this year (trade him in the offseason to make room), but it IS a concern...a MAJOR concern. and the best contract to move in the entire club is Cullens, since its long term and for big dollars compared to his productivity.

I see what you mean (exept for the braindead signing part), but I still have confidence all these signings can get done within the cap and still keep everyone. The only other option I see IF Cullen goes is to maybe move Betts up to 3rd line center and let a younger player work on his center skills on the 4th line all season.

Still, Betts has little to no offensive abilities, so I'm not even sure who would fit that bill internally at the moment. You could always move Straka down to 3rd line center and put Hossa back on the 1st line to see if he stays hot with Jags but none of these option are as effective as simply keeping Cullen.

Let's hope they can do it. They have like 80 days to figure it out.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 10:06 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
The point is that he makes enough money to make it worthwhile to move him if cap space is needed, and that his contract isn't so absurd now that someone wouldn't take it.

It's less about trying to get rid of the and more about him being an option if the Rangers need to make cap space.
Completely agreed on all points, Levitate.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 10:11 PM
JoeyNYR

I'd be happy to keep Cullen but if we need the cap room he may be in danger, but one thing to be aware of is that we got Strudwick and Staal, so 1 will fill Rachunek's role, and the Staal can fill Malik or Mara's spot

JoeyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote