HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LMHF Game Report #20-the late edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2003, 12:31 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
LMHF Game Report #20-the late edition

Sorry guys, I haven't abandoned reporting due to the Oilers continually brutal play, but I was pretty busy tonight, so my usual game report will come in the morning. Preview: Luoma: you guys are treating him with kid gloves, he didn't play well, and doesn't deserve to get a 'chance' ahead of Bergeron when we had a guy who's already gotten into the swing of things and has the highest PPG of any defenceman on the team. Salo: Yeah Tommy, ya still wreak. Ferguson: I'm surprised you survived the night. York: Flat-out BRINGIN IT! Oates: Lil better........

Til tomorrow.......or, later today I guess......#1 is out.

Old
12-31-2003, 03:54 AM
Yanner39

Again, it's hard to criticize the goalie when your team only scores twice, but I didn't like both goals. I know alot won't agree but I the first goal, 3 oilers got caught behind the net, left Salo alone but he didn't do anything to help himself. He's got to stay on his feet more. Same goes for the second goal. He went down way to early. Ferraro said that he wanted to take away the low shot. Well, that's fine but pretty useless when the entire top part is exposed.

As for Luoma, well, I thought he played well for his first game. Made a mistake on the first goal although it's debatable if he was responsible for the guy if from of the net.

Old
12-31-2003, 06:12 AM
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Again, it's hard to criticize the goalie when your team only scores twice, but I didn't like both goals. I know alot won't agree but I the first goal, 3 oilers got caught behind the net, left Salo alone but he didn't do anything to help himself. He's got to stay on his feet more. Same goes for the second goal. He went down way to early. Ferraro said that he wanted to take away the low shot. Well, that's fine but pretty useless when the entire top part is exposed.

As for Luoma, well, I thought he played well for his first game. Made a mistake on the first goal although it's debatable if he was responsible for the guy if from of the net.

Row 27 Sect. 235

Salo looked AWFUL on the first goal. He must have had a nap while he was laying there!

Oates Sad. He wins faceoffs like a champ but as my pal pointed out to me he could probably do that till he's 80 and still not contribute any other way. More or less hes this years Dopita... I am eating crow on this one.

Play of the Game. Us screaming Fernandez you suck right after the American anthem. No disrespect intended but it was perfect.

York is looking 8' tall out there. The confidence has got to rub off. Dvo played well also. Torres just isn't getting into the high traffic area the way he should be. He has got to pay the price for his teamates.

Smyth :mad: Score damn you!! How many opportunities does he need. I counted 2 grade A opp. that he missed. There may have been more. I expect more from our #1 LW. You should too.

Overall. Disappointing for the amount of shots and effort out there, We should have won this game.

Old
12-31-2003, 06:41 AM
Mr Sakich

I have read a few people blame Salo for the second goal. Do you guys realize that an oiler tipped it 10 feet in front of the net causing it to go top shelf? When a hard shot is taken from that position and then tipped, it is a fluke if it goes in or if it is stopped. He took away the percentage shot (low) but the puck went top shelf.

Old
12-31-2003, 06:43 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
I have read a few people blame Salo for the second goal. Do you guys realize that an oiler tipped it 10 feet in front of the net causing it to go top shelf? When a hard shot is taken from that position and then tipped, it is a fluke if it goes in or if it is stopped. He took away the percentage shot (low) but the puck went top shelf.
True, but he was still down too early. And it's not like it was a hard slap shot like the one that went in a few weeks ago by the same Wild team. If he's standing, there is no reason why he can't save that.

Old
12-31-2003, 07:01 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
True, but he was still down too early. And it's not like it was a hard slap shot like the one that went in a few weeks ago by the same Wild team. If he's standing, there is no reason why he can't save that.
No NHL goalie stands anymore. 90% of NHL goals would be stopped if the goalie would stand up, but then that would open a whole other can of worms, and a crap load of different goals would go in.

Old
12-31-2003, 07:05 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
No NHL goalie stands anymore. 90% of NHL goals would be stopped if the goalie would stand up, but then that would open a whole other can of worms, and a crap load of different goals would go in.
Your point? Fact still remains he was down too early. I get you want to defend Salo, but I never blamed him for the Oilers tying. They still only scored 2 goals on 40 shots. On both goals against, Salo didn't do himself any favours. Going down in the butterfly or whatever it's called should be a reaction, not go down and hope the shot will hit you.

Old
12-31-2003, 07:33 AM
mbam99

Send a message via MSN to mbam99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
I agree with you Mr. Sakich. When you are ready for the puck and the direction changes, just changing the momentum your body is moving is tough enough. I think its just that every one is looking at Salo wanting him to fail. I could watch any player and see all the bad things and not the good things. I've learnt that this year watching my son play. I seem to never see the good he does, but everything bad..for sure. Salo has a GAA of less than 2 in his last 3 games...thats the positive. We need to score for him. Even Conklin....I think the best part about his game is his puck handling ability...the worst part is that he has to leave the net to play the puck. At least once a game, he leaves the net and the other team almost scores becuase he seems to get caught.

Old
12-31-2003, 07:49 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Your point? Fact still remains he was down too early. I get you want to defend Salo, but I never blamed him for the Oilers tying. They still only scored 2 goals on 40 shots. On both goals against, Salo didn't do himself any favours. Going down in the butterfly or whatever it's called should be a reaction, not go down and hope the shot will hit you.
My point was rather obvious...

Every goalie goes down on nearly every shot, Especially ones in the slot, so to expect Salo to do differenly is just nitpicking. Fernandez was down on every single shot... it is called the new wave of goaltending. If Salo doesn't go down, and the puck doesn't get tipped, he looks like a total ass.

Salo made the initial save on the first shot, and no Oiler was there to clear the rebound... in fact, the player who got the initial shot off should not have even gotten close on that opportunity. Tommy did what he needed to do on the first goal... he completely took away the bottom part of the net. There is no way that guy should have gotten that chance.

Going down in a reaction move, you do hope the puck hits you... I'm not really sure what your point was. The shot got taken, Salo went down, and the puck was tipped....

Old
12-31-2003, 08:04 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Going down in a reaction move, you do hope the puck hits you... I'm not really sure what your point was. The shot got taken, Salo went down, and the puck was tipped....
Actually, he was down before the shot was taken. That's my point. And it's not the first time he's done that. You react by going down once the shot is taken, not before. How does he know Shultz won't roof it. I guess he must be psychic. And as far as nitpicking, well, that's pretty much your opinion I guess. How other goalies play is irrelevant. Most goalies don't have a save % under .900 like Tommy does.

Like I said, Salo could have played it differently. I'm not saying it was a bad goal like the Belarus goal.

On the first goal well, I thought someone had shot him. I agree the defense screwed up on the play but again, he put himself out of position. In your opinion, what did he try to do. Watching the play, I knew the defense screwed up. But after seeing the replay, Salo didn't help things by sprawling the way he did.

Old
12-31-2003, 08:07 AM
Obsessed

Salo played average. Fernandez played oustanding. There is your difference. I have no doubts that we were the better team last night but we didn't get the results. Salo is in the top 3 for experience on our team. He needs to lead us back to respectability. He didn't do it last night.

Old
12-31-2003, 08:30 AM
PineJockey

Quote:
But if he is standing the original untipped shot would have likely gone in - remember the goaltending (and high scores) of the 80's? Can't blame Salo for that one. Just a flukey goal.

Old
12-31-2003, 09:01 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Stays up - goes down - looks like beached whale.

The bottom line is he is dead last in the NHL.com goalie stats in terms of save %.

Old
12-31-2003, 10:39 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
Stays up - goes down - looks like beached whale.

The bottom line is he is dead last in the NHL.com goalie stats in terms of save %.
It has also gone up 13 points since he came back from his injury.

Old
12-31-2003, 10:49 AM
oilersrule14

Quote:
Actually, he was down before the shot was taken. That's my point. And it's not the first time he's done that. You react by going down once the shot is taken, not before. How does he know Shultz won't roof it. I guess he must be psychic.
Watch the replay, you're mistaken. Salo was on his knees initially while Zholtok was skating along the boards, but he gets back on his feet well before Schultz receives the pass. Schultz gets the puck and shoots, Salo goes down, but unfortunately for him, it gets deflected high. Not his fault.

Old
12-31-2003, 11:01 AM
hockeyaddict101

Salo had no chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbam99
I agree with you Mr. Sakich. When you are ready for the puck and the direction changes, just changing the momentum your body is moving is tough enough. I think its just that every one is looking at Salo wanting him to fail. I could watch any player and see all the bad things and not the good things. I've learnt that this year watching my son play. I seem to never see the good he does, but everything bad..for sure. Salo has a GAA of less than 2 in his last 3 games...thats the positive. We need to score for him. Even Conklin....I think the best part about his game is his puck handling ability...the worst part is that he has to leave the net to play the puck. At least once a game, he leaves the net and the other team almost scores becuase he seems to get caught.
The puck was heading towards him and then completely changed direction.

The only reason people are complaining as the pucked slowed down and he didn't move.

It was a very good (lucky) tip.

Goaltending hasn't been the problem in the last three games

Old
12-31-2003, 11:23 AM
Yanner39

Hey, if some of you have time to analyze the video replays, then great. You're probably in a better position to make the call. Quite frankly, the whole discussion is pointless. Fact is, the offense is not scoring. But I think it would be great if Salo would actually win one for the team. When was the last time we said that. Last night, and the night before, Fernandez got his team 2 points in the standings. Did Salo get the Oilers a point last night? I would tend to lean towards York for that.

All this being said, I don't want to bash Salo. He has been playing very well and I've mentioned it in previous post. I hope he gets the start Friday. I still believe he's the starter on this team. If Salo starts winning a few games, it'll do wonders in helping them get out of this slump.

Old
12-31-2003, 11:23 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Okay, well rested and ready to go........

I believe it's truly amazing that these games continue to sell-out, because nearly everyone is sitting there bored out of their minds and depressed at how badly the players are underachieving.

I'm still waiting for some minor indication that this team will begin executing at some point.

Why was Craig Simpson not on the bench last night? I saw him in a pre-game interview. I have a hunch they don't let him do much.

Coaching report:

Same ol same ol. Ya send out the 4th line with 3 minutes to go, you have anyone but Adam Oates taking the important draws when it's supposed to be his job......I'm really tired of pointing out all his ridiculousness, the list is way too long.

Player Reports:

Back-o-the-bus-

Scott Ferguson: Anything I'd say would be a re-hash. Looked REALLY special on that first goal.......geez......

Mediocrity abounds-

Eric Brewer- I really don't know if he's turning it around or not. Looks so average lately. Not good. It's not that he's playing badly, it's that there are things he used to do, that he should be not only doing, but doing better, by now, that he doesn't even get done anymore. He gets this grade based on the standards set for him mostly.

Alex Semenov- Better game, he's getting back into the flow.

Jason Smith- incomplete, any word on his injury?

Mikko Luoma- Looked exceptionally nervous away from the puck in the first and second. Still needs alot of work on his positioning. Also, on a pairing with Ferguson, played a big part in the first Minnesota goal. He wasn't our worst guy, but we have better, and the better guy should be playing. Looked a little calmer in the third, but then again, that's when the Oilers actually pressured, so he had less work. Made a good read on a pinch late.

Tommy Salo- Lying there on the first goal, talk about pathetic. No effort made and no confidence. That was an "I hope it hits me" moment if there ever was one, or maybe he was just too lazy to get up. Completely misjudged a weak shot that was tipped for the 2nd goal. Starters make that save more often than not. Couldn't have done too too much, but when there are so few shots, you should be able to limit the other team to one, especially when Minnesota effectively had about 1 or 2 really good scoring chances.

Fernando Pisani- Meh.....

Shawn Horcoff- Not much different from the usual. Still featured his professional puck-losing ways. Didn't get excited on any of his scoring chances, you learn to expect nothing when he has one.

Georges Laraque- Slightly better game, still not the same guy.

Brad Isbister- Went Invizzy on us again. I don't think consistency and Brad Isbister can be used to refer to one another.

Jarret Stoll- Fairly solid game, just nothing that stood out. Made some good defensive plays.

Ethan Moreau- Not sure why he can't get anything done lately, probably his injury, but it's depressing. We need something from him.

Raffi Torres- Has pretty much vanished.

Ales Hemsky- Solid game from Ales, got moved around alot though, which kinda threw things off. Nice reads, but unfortunately not playing with anyone who could execute or take pressure off most of the night. Later on it showed when he was placed with new linemates, and the lines had good sustained pressure.

Ryan Smyth- Still not doing alot, really can't figure out why he keeps getting stars.........This is not the Ryan Smyth we need.

Adam Oates- Better, but not there yet. How long do we have to wait for this guy?

Just Ahead-

Steve Staios- Back to the Stevey ways tonight. Shoulda scored a goal though, too bad referees can't see pucks.

Radek Dvorak- Consistently solid offensive play lately. Using his skating very well.

Leading the way-

Mike York- The only player on the team who is actually performing right now. Won't be denied. Finally taking it to the net and not getting bumped off the puck, good stuff Mikey.

----------------------------------

The highlight of the night was the Fernandez yell, too bad he didn't actually suck, or maybe it's just our shooters..........

#1, once again, is out.

Last edited by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1: 12-31-2003 at 11:34 AM.
Old
12-31-2003, 11:34 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Hey, if some of you have time to analyze the video replays, then great. You're probably in a better position to make the call. Quite frankly, the whole discussion is pointless. Fact is, the offense is not scoring. But I think it would be great if Salo would actually win one for the team. When was the last time we said that. Last night, and the night before, Fernandez got his team 2 points in the standings. Did Salo get the Oilers a point last night? I would tend to lean towards York for that.

All this being said, I don't want to bash Salo. He has been playing very well and I've mentioned it in previous post. I hope he gets the start Friday. I still believe he's the starter on this team. If Salo starts winning a few games, it'll do wonders in helping them get out of this slump.
Is it the opposition goaltending that keeps "Stealing games" from the Oilers, or is it their inability to finish? This isn't an occasional occurance, it is a nightly one.

So maybe it isn't the opposition goaltenders outplaying the Oiler ones, maybe it is the opposition forwards outplaying the Oilers ones.

Old
12-31-2003, 11:58 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Tommy Salo- Lying there on the first goal, talk about pathetic. No effort made and no confidence. That was an "I hope it hits me" moment if there ever was one, or maybe he was just too lazy to get up.
What are you talking about? There were three Oilers behind the net when Walz brought it in front, Salo went down and stopped him, but the puck went out to a wide open Mitchell and he put it up. It looks like Tommy doesn't even know where the puck is until it's too late. If that is Conklin letting that goal in, no one says "no effort made" or "that was a 'I hope it hits me' moment."

I absolutely hate how Salo receives most of the blame after a goal scored by the other team. How is it his fault when an opposing player is left all alone? He's been one of the best Oilers on the ice as of late. I don't know what some of you want from him.

Old
12-31-2003, 12:04 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by York16
What are you talking about? There were three Oilers behind the net when Walz brought it in front, Salo went down and stopped him, but the puck went out to a wide open Mitchell and he put it up. It looks like Tommy doesn't even know where the puck is until it's too late. If that is Conklin letting that goal in, no one says "no effort made" or "that was a 'I hope it hits me' moment."

I absolutely hate how Salo receives most of the blame after a goal scored by the other team. How is it his fault when an opposing player is left all alone? He's been one of the best Oilers on the ice as of late. I don't know what some of you want from him.
If you noticed, I blamed both defencemen as well. Watch the replays and watch Tommy, I've already watched it several times and he just enrages me more and more. If Ty's in net, of course we don't say those things, because he's not laying there on his back!

Look at the amount of shots, look at the quality chances, no way Tommy should've allowed two.

And yes, the offence still blows, not excusing them.

Old
12-31-2003, 12:21 PM
Obsessed

Quote:

The highlight of the night was the Fernandez yell, too bad he didn't actually suck, or maybe it's just our shooters..........

#1, once again, is out.

I was rather proud of how well it sounded. Im glad you liked it. Your right though. Too bad he doesn't really suck.

Old
12-31-2003, 12:23 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Is it the opposition goaltending that keeps "Stealing games" from the Oilers, or is it their inability to finish? This isn't an occasional occurance, it is a nightly one.

So maybe it isn't the opposition goaltenders outplaying the Oiler ones, maybe it is the opposition forwards outplaying the Oilers ones.
Maybe it is though. Good question. Let me know if you have the answer.

I don't know. I mean, Salo's .876 save % doesn't lie. Every goalie needs to be able to steal a couple of games for the team once and while, just like forwards have to score key goals at key times. That's what York did last night. I just can't remember the ladt time Salo did that for the Oilers.

Again, I realize that he only allowed 2 goals and I didn't say the Oilers tied because of him or lost on Sunday because of him. I was only giving my opinion of last night's game. If you thought he played a good game, fine. I guess we agree to disagree.

Old
12-31-2003, 12:39 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Okay, well rested and ready to go........

I believe it's truly amazing that these games continue to sell-out, because nearly everyone is sitting there bored out of their minds and depressed at how badly the players are underachieving.

I'm still waiting for some minor indication that this team will begin executing at some point.

Why was Craig Simpson not on the bench last night? I saw him in a pre-game interview. I have a hunch they don't let him do much.

Coaching report:

Same ol same ol. Ya send out the 4th line with 3 minutes to go, you have anyone but Adam Oates taking the important draws when it's supposed to be his job......I'm really tired of pointing out all his ridiculousness, the list is way too long.

Player Reports:

Back-o-the-bus-

Scott Ferguson: Anything I'd say would be a re-hash. Looked REALLY special on that first goal.......geez......

Mediocrity abounds-

Eric Brewer- I really don't know if he's turning it around or not. Looks so average lately. Not good. It's not that he's playing badly, it's that there are things he used to do, that he should be not only doing, but doing better, by now, that he doesn't even get done anymore. He gets this grade based on the standards set for him mostly.

Alex Semenov- Better game, he's getting back into the flow.

Jason Smith- incomplete, any word on his injury?

Mikko Luoma- Looked exceptionally nervous away from the puck in the first and second. Still needs alot of work on his positioning. Also, on a pairing with Ferguson, played a big part in the first Minnesota goal. He wasn't our worst guy, but we have better, and the better guy should be playing. Looked a little calmer in the third, but then again, that's when the Oilers actually pressured, so he had less work. Made a good read on a pinch late.

Tommy Salo- Lying there on the first goal, talk about pathetic. No effort made and no confidence. That was an "I hope it hits me" moment if there ever was one, or maybe he was just too lazy to get up. Completely misjudged a weak shot that was tipped for the 2nd goal. Starters make that save more often than not. Couldn't have done too too much, but when there are so few shots, you should be able to limit the other team to one, especially when Minnesota effectively had about 1 or 2 really good scoring chances.

Fernando Pisani- Meh.....

Shawn Horcoff- Not much different from the usual. Still featured his professional puck-losing ways. Didn't get excited on any of his scoring chances, you learn to expect nothing when he has one.

Georges Laraque- Slightly better game, still not the same guy.

Brad Isbister- Went Invizzy on us again. I don't think consistency and Brad Isbister can be used to refer to one another.

Jarret Stoll- Fairly solid game, just nothing that stood out. Made some good defensive plays.

Ethan Moreau- Not sure why he can't get anything done lately, probably his injury, but it's depressing. We need something from him.

Raffi Torres- Has pretty much vanished.

Ales Hemsky- Solid game from Ales, got moved around alot though, which kinda threw things off. Nice reads, but unfortunately not playing with anyone who could execute or take pressure off most of the night. Later on it showed when he was placed with new linemates, and the lines had good sustained pressure.

Ryan Smyth- Still not doing alot, really can't figure out why he keeps getting stars.........This is not the Ryan Smyth we need.

Adam Oates- Better, but not there yet. How long do we have to wait for this guy?

Just Ahead-

Steve Staios- Back to the Stevey ways tonight. Shoulda scored a goal though, too bad referees can't see pucks.

Radek Dvorak- Consistently solid offensive play lately. Using his skating very well.

Leading the way-

Mike York- The only player on the team who is actually performing right now. Won't be denied. Finally taking it to the net and not getting bumped off the puck, good stuff Mikey.

#1, once again, is out.

Seriously dude, did you and I watch the same game?

1. Brewer was a house out there last night. He was brilliant. 32 minutes and all of them physical and skating. If he plays like this he will emerge as the All-Star we all know he can be
2. Salo had no chance on either goal and has played well the last 4 games
3. Isbister was great, he was controlling play and cycling well. He is looking more and more like the power forward we need
4. I thought Torres looked good and had some good chances, just seems to have lost his confidence and is snake bitten
5. Smyth was everywhere and led the team in shots. He just isn't getting any bounces this year.

Old
12-31-2003, 12:45 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Maybe it is though. Good question. Let me know if you have the answer.

I don't know. I mean, Salo's .876 save % doesn't lie. Every goalie needs to be able to steal a couple of games for the team once and while, just like forwards have to score key goals at key times. That's what York did last night. I just can't remember the ladt time Salo did that for the Oilers.

Again, I realize that he only allowed 2 goals and I didn't say the Oilers tied because of him or lost on Sunday because of him. I was only giving my opinion of last night's game. If you thought he played a good game, fine. I guess we agree to disagree.
I disagree, that stat is very deceptive. Look at the quality scoring the Oilers are giving up. it may only be 20 shots a night but half of those are odd man rushes and complete defensive breakdowns. And then you add on the quality chances that the other team misses the net. The difference is that other teams are scoring on their great chances and we are not.

Salo hasn't been as bad as everyone thinks and deserves some support - this guy CARRIED our team for his first few seasons here, he can regain his form and I still think he should be our starter. We need to play better as a team in front of him

Closed Thread