HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LMHF Game Report #20-the late edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-31-2003, 12:19 PM
  #26
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
Seriously dude, did you and I watch the same game?

1. Brewer was a house out there last night. He was brilliant. 32 minutes and all of them physical and skating. If he plays like this he will emerge as the All-Star we all know he can be
2. Salo had no chance on either goal and has played well the last 4 games
3. Isbister was great, he was controlling play and cycling well. He is looking more and more like the power forward we need
4. I thought Torres looked good and had some good chances, just seems to have lost his confidence and is snake bitten
5. Smyth was everywhere and led the team in shots. He just isn't getting any bounces this year.
You pretty much wrote exactly what I was about to type.. no offence LMHF#1 but I knew exactly what your analysis would read before I even opened the thread. "Tommy looked terrible" .. "Horcoff is useless".. "Brewer is regressing" .. "Brad Isvisible" .. "Hemsky had a great game like usual". There is absolutely no way you should be blaming Salo for that first goal.. he made a good first save and the the d-man who came in to put it top shelf should have been marked much more closely. Brewer was fantastic IMO.. as was Horcoff and Isbister. Horcoff was all over the place making things happen and looked very strong down low.. Smyth had one of his best games in recent memory and was crashing the net like the good old days. If Semenov, Brewer and Ferguson could have put away a couple easy chances we would have definitely won that game..

Cerebral is online now  
Old
12-31-2003, 12:20 PM
  #27
Yanner39
Registered User
 
Yanner39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ottawa ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
I disagree, that stat is very deceptive. Look at the quality scoring the Oilers are giving up. it may only be 20 shots a night but half of those are odd man rushes and complete defensive breakdowns. And then you add on the quality chances that the other team misses the net. The difference is that other teams are scoring on their great chances and we are not.

Salo hasn't been as bad as everyone thinks and deserves some support - this guy CARRIED our team for his first few seasons here, he can regain his form and I still think he should be our starter. We need to play better as a team in front of him
Ok, well, how long in your estimation will it take for him to regain his form? He's been struggling for over a year now. He had a good stretch of games last year and last week. Do you think he will get as good as he was when he first got here? I have my doubts.

More important, shoiuld the Oilers take up his option next year? $4M man.

Don't get me wrong. I like Salo a lot and I'd like him to be the starter and regain his form. But right now, I feel more comfortable when Conklin's in net.

Yanner39 is offline  
Old
12-31-2003, 12:22 PM
  #28
Vomiting Kermit*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
If you noticed, I blamed both defencemen as well. Watch the replays and watch Tommy, I've already watched it several times and he just enrages me more and more. If Ty's in net, of course we don't say those things, because he's not laying there on his back!

Look at the amount of shots, look at the quality chances, no way Tommy should've allowed two.

And yes, the offence still blows, not excusing them.
The defensemen do not cover the other team's defensemen. Mitchell was left alone because the Oilers' right winger failed to tie him up. I saw the replay twice on TSN's site before posting towards you. If a goalie doesn't know where the puck is, he is supposed to stay put, and that's exactly what Tommy did after his stop on Walz.

Conklin has let in some bad goals and I've never seen you come on here and say he made no effort on that particular play.

And finally, what does the lack of offense have to do with my initial post?


Last edited by Vomiting Kermit*: 12-31-2003 at 12:29 PM.
Vomiting Kermit* is offline  
Old
12-31-2003, 01:28 PM
  #29
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by York16
The defensemen do not cover the other team's defensemen. Mitchell was left alone because the Oilers' right winger failed to tie him up. I saw the replay twice on TSN's site before posting towards you.
Not to sound nitpicky.. but I don't think you can blame Dvorak for not picking up Mitchell from the point. Dvorak came down to help on the inital shot attempt by the man in front because there were 3 players behind the net at the time.

momentai is offline  
Old
12-31-2003, 01:49 PM
  #30
mbam99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 446
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to mbam99
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Not to sound nitpicky.. but I don't think you can blame Dvorak for not picking up Mitchell from the point. Dvorak came down to help on the inital shot attempt by the man in front because there were 3 players behind the net at the time.
I think the jist of the arguement here is that it wasn't Salo's fault on the goal, not that it was Dvorak's.

mbam99 is offline  
Old
12-31-2003, 02:21 PM
  #31
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
To Shark:

1.Did you even read my Brewer analysis? I qualified what I said just so I didn't get that kind of response. It's about STANDARDS.

2. Nope

3. Brad Isbister's job is to score goals, get in position to score goals, drive the net with the puck and get it deep so plays can be set up. He's not doing it and the results were pretty clear on the scoreboard.

4. Torres did a whole lot of nothing. He's not hitting his spots like he was before.

5. So what if he led the team in shots, and look at the last thing you said, what does that matter? Good players MAKE bounces go their way.


In a 2-2 game, you can't really give forwards good reviews, and all my defence reviews were average except Ferguson (low) and Staios (high), what's the problem?

To Cerebral:

Didn't say Hemsky had a great game, I listed him at average with almost every other forward.

How could Shawn Horcoff and Brad Isbister have been fantastic in that game? I really don't understand how you could claim that.

And also, seeing as you knew what I would say, because it's been said so many times, isn't that more of a comment more on the team than the article? It's not like I'm pulling this stuff out of thin air. If Eric Brewer was out there punishing people and carrying the puck with authority, I'd be giving him good reviews, If Shawn Horcoff went a game without making so many bad decisions and missing scoring chances, I'd give him good grades. When Brad Isbister drives the net and scores, I give him good grades. When Raffi was bringin it every night, I gave him good grades. When Tommy looks comfortable and makes the easy saves look easy, I'll give him good grades. Need I go on?

It's really that simple.

To York:

There were some comments made that were to the effect of "Salo's performance doesn't matter with the team not scoring", I was just acknowledging that general idea in threads such as this.
-----------------------------

And a question to all, how many of you were actually at the game? Alot of the negative performance grades I give are based on things that are very tough to see on TV (which is why I don't report road games). Such as Luoma's positioning, Horcoff's overskating of checkers and missing reads, Isbister and Torres not hitting their spots, Smyth making bad passing decisions, and Salo being unable to control the weakest of shots and looking scared and uncomfortable in the net.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
12-31-2003, 04:57 PM
  #32
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
To Shark:

1.Did you even read my Brewer analysis? I qualified what I said just so I didn't get that kind of response. It's about STANDARDS.

2. Nope

3. Brad Isbister's job is to score goals, get in position to score goals, drive the net with the puck and get it deep so plays can be set up. He's not doing it and the results were pretty clear on the scoreboard.

4. Torres did a whole lot of nothing. He's not hitting his spots like he was before.

5. So what if he led the team in shots, and look at the last thing you said, what does that matter? Good players MAKE bounces go their way.


In a 2-2 game, you can't really give forwards good reviews, and all my defence reviews were average except Ferguson (low) and Staios (high), what's the problem?

To Cerebral:

Didn't say Hemsky had a great game, I listed him at average with almost every other forward.

How could Shawn Horcoff and Brad Isbister have been fantastic in that game? I really don't understand how you could claim that.

And also, seeing as you knew what I would say, because it's been said so many times, isn't that more of a comment more on the team than the article? It's not like I'm pulling this stuff out of thin air. If Eric Brewer was out there punishing people and carrying the puck with authority, I'd be giving him good reviews, If Shawn Horcoff went a game without making so many bad decisions and missing scoring chances, I'd give him good grades. When Brad Isbister drives the net and scores, I give him good grades. When Raffi was bringin it every night, I gave him good grades. When Tommy looks comfortable and makes the easy saves look easy, I'll give him good grades. Need I go on?

It's really that simple.

To York:

There were some comments made that were to the effect of "Salo's performance doesn't matter with the team not scoring", I was just acknowledging that general idea in threads such as this.
-----------------------------

And a question to all, how many of you were actually at the game? Alot of the negative performance grades I give are based on things that are very tough to see on TV (which is why I don't report road games). Such as Luoma's positioning, Horcoff's overskating of checkers and missing reads, Isbister and Torres not hitting their spots, Smyth making bad passing decisions, and Salo being unable to control the weakest of shots and looking scared and uncomfortable in the net.
Well I was at the game and I thought Brewer was excellent, he created two chances in OT by rushing the puck up the ice. Most in our section thought he had a great game(when you are a long time season holder, you get to know everyone around)

Salo had no chance on any of the goals but I do think he was having problems with rebound control and this has to do with his postitioning so I can understand LMHF's point. Both me and my friend were commenting on the same thing.

Isbister shows signs every game of being a great power forward but doesn't do it consistently and didn't do it consistently last night.

Completely agree with LMHF about Torres, he is not getting his nose dirty and if he doesn't play gritty he is just not successful.

Just to reiterate I don't think you have to be at a game to have an opinion, the television viewer has the benefit of the replay and I got a better view of the second goal when I got home. At first I thought Salo blew it, but it was obvious from the replay that the tip completely changed direction, it doesn't matter how fast the puck is going, especially when Salo was leaning the other way. He was in position to make the save until it was tipped.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
12-31-2003, 05:55 PM
  #33
Vomiting Kermit*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
To York:

There were some comments made that were to the effect of "Salo's performance doesn't matter with the team not scoring", I was just acknowledging that general idea in threads such as this.
Mmmkay.

And mbam99, you're right.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline  
Old
01-01-2004, 01:15 AM
  #34
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
My biggest knock on Brewer

and I know I have mentioned it a few times. Is he tries to do too much then loses his confidence and then presses and starts coughing up the puck.

In the last few games he has played to his strengths, he rushes the puck a little. You can't expect a guy that plays 25 to 30 minutes to do that every play unless they are Bobby Orr or Paul Coffey.

I think the Lowe comment has taken the pressure off Brewer to produce every night and this has given him the confidence to play within his means.

Maybe he will never be a great offensive player but if he can continue to play like he has I will be very happy. It takes defensive a long time to mature and many fans lose patience too quickly.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.