HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

gary bettman

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2003, 01:04 AM
phil76

vCash: 500
gary bettman

should we replace gary bettman?

if yes by wich guy?

Old
12-31-2003, 01:14 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Yes no maybeso. Does it really matter? The league depends on a lot more than just one man.

Old
12-31-2003, 01:34 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
All ice is home ice.

Yep. I would put someone who is bright, who is forward thinking and who preferably has played the game. Preferably someone who has hockey management experience. Bobby Smith comes to mind.

And yes it does matter. Look around, and you'll see other professional sports that are much better managed. The NFL for example.

Old
12-31-2003, 01:42 AM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade
Yes no maybeso. Does it really matter? The league depends on a lot more than just one man.
I'm not picking you out, my comment is in reference to if it matters.

I think it does matter quite a bit. Bettman is in charge of the other people and their hiring. The best managers are the ones who surround themselves with good people. On top of that, if you have good people but aren't good at what you do, it all runs downhill. In other words, the leader sets the tone.

I wouldn't have a clue who would be a good candidate, Lou Lamairello (and I'm not a Devils fan) comes to mind for what he's done with the Devils AND the Nets, but I don't know if that would qualify him as a good replacement.

Old
12-31-2003, 02:27 AM
phil76

of course it matter

it would be like if you where asking
does it really matter to have a gm and a coach
in a nhl team

OF COURSE IT MATTER

Old
12-31-2003, 03:13 AM
BCCHL inactive

People misunderstand Gary Bettman's role. So many think that he makes hockey decisions such as rule changes on his own. This couldn't be farther from the truth.

Gary Bettman is a business man, and takes care of the business aspects of the NHL. Any hockey decisions, such as the infamous instigator rule, are made by the Board of Governors, not Gary Bettman.

Old
12-31-2003, 08:13 AM
JimEIV

Don Cherry!

Old
12-31-2003, 10:11 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafssuck
I would quit watching hockey and take up cricket.
nono, SPELLING BEES! you get coverage on ESPN!

Old
12-31-2003, 10:28 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafssuck
I would quit watching hockey and take up cricket.

Well Euro-hockey is just as physical as cricket, so you got a pretty good jump on things.

Old
12-31-2003, 10:34 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
People misunderstand Gary Bettman's role. So many think that he makes hockey decisions such as rule changes on his own. This couldn't be farther from the truth.

Gary Bettman is a business man, and takes care of the business aspects of the NHL. Any hockey decisions, such as the infamous instigator rule, are made by the Board of Governors, not Gary Bettman.
While he doesn't have an active role in hockey decisions such as the instigator rule, I'm sure his opinion would hold considerable sway; especially since I'm sure most of his opinions would be based on attracting a wider audience and more money.

I'd like to see Bettman replaced by someone with more of a hockey background. I think he'd be good in a consulting role, but not as someone with any actual power or sway with owners, GMs and players.

Old
12-31-2003, 10:44 AM
jackets63

Im sure its different in Canada, but hockey, more specifically the NHL, has grown immensley in the US since Bettman took over. Sure the ESPN coverage isnt what we would like and declined to less than a few years ago, but its still more than what was out there before that.

I grew up in Nowhere(not northern), Ohio and growing up we never got to see any hockey. I knew I liked it from watching the Olympics when they came around, but otherwise, I didnt have any exposure to it. Then right about the time the Bettman era started to take hold, you had a lot more national exposure to it. Started seeing games (although limited) on national broadcast TV. Even the huge screwups (the glowing puck comes to mind) got people talking and at least paying attention to hockey even if they didnt follow it as closely. Now its legitimately accepted as one of the "Big 4" even though it comes in at #4.

Between the 94 playoffs and starting to attend the local minor league team, I got hooked very quickly to the game and everything about it. I just wish that I had discovered it earlier. I was a decent football player, but if I had found hockey at a younger age, I could have had a better chance at being a decent hockey player.

I think that mine, and many others', exposure to hockey has a lot to do with either Bettman or the people he put in place.

Now maybe he's built it up to something bigger than what he can handle. There are some problems with the game right now. But Im not sure how much of it can be attributed to his mismanaging the league.

Old
12-31-2003, 12:04 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van

Agree 100%. Bettman (or any commissioner; see: Bud Selig) is a strawman for every gripe any fan has with pro league. Not "endorsing" GB, but the NHL's "issues," none of which are as insurmountable as some suggest here, are bigger than any "czar," and the league's structure is such that Bettman's power is not omnipotent.

Old
12-31-2003, 12:08 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Bettman also has a lot of aspects to his job that most fan-suggested replacements wouldn't at all be equipped to handle: negociating the CBA, negociating transfer fees with the IIHF and European leagues, negociating the TV contract, and so on.

Old
12-31-2003, 12:42 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

I wonder if Jack Welch is busy these days... maybe he'll get bored with retirement and show the world that a sports league can be run in innovative ways the same way a corporation can. Here's to the Board thinking outside the box when it comes to Bettman's replacement.

Old
12-31-2003, 01:19 PM
ceber

Wasn't Bettman the guy who got a lot of the credit for putting the NBA into such a profitable situation?

Thought I read something about that...

Old
12-31-2003, 01:28 PM
dragonwyck

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
Wasn't Bettman the guy who got a lot of the credit for putting the NBA into such a profitable situation?

Thought I read something about that...
Yes, he did have a big part of that. For those that dont know, in the early 80's just as many NBA teams were losing money as NHL teams are now. But, while it's great what he did for Basketball, he needs to recognize that just because something worked in the NBA that doesn't mean it's going to work in the NHL.

Closed Thread