Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Best of what's left-Yashin

Old
07-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Starsdude

vCash: 500
Best of what's left-Yashin

He scores. he can play wing. He is talented. It may not be enough but a 2 yr deal at 3-4 , he is the best of what is left

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 05:05 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Stars shouldn't even consider him on a two year deal, only a one year deal, then it's even iffy.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 10:47 AM
john skull

as long as he plays wing plays primarily on the pp and doesn't command any long term salary. I mean lindros didn't hurt us last year. I'd want a similar guarantee/flexability with yashin.

john skull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 10:57 AM
ck26
Alcoholab User

Quote:
Originally Posted by john skull View Post
as long as he plays wing plays primarily on the pp and doesn't command any long term salary. I mean lindros didn't hurt us last year. I'd want a similar guarantee/flexability with yashin.
+1. I'm on board with this ... sorta. If we're going to try to keep competing, we've gotta do something ... but man ... are we really that desperate?

Last edited by ck26: 07-08-2007 at 11:17 AM.
ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 01:34 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Pass.

The Frugal Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Walzy

Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by john skull View Post
i think we can't say if Lindros hurt us, because we don't know how the replacement player could have been....Maybe Lessard would have scored 30 goals if he were up the whole season instead of carrying Lindros' body through the season

so i agree with frugs, pass

Walzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Starsdude

Totally different decision-Eric was aknown health risk way past his prime-Yashin was cruxified for his contract and for not being aleader- neither of which is in play here

Old
07-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Pillard32

Why not? What do we have to lose by signing him?

Pillard32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Walzy

Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude View Post
Totally different decision-Eric was aknown health risk way past his prime-Yashin was cruxified for his contract and for not being aleader- neither of which is in play here
no, Yashin was cruxified for not caring what happens on the ice because he has his $$$

Old
07-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Starsdude

and yet he still would have been our leading scorer

Old
07-08-2007, 04:07 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walzy View Post
no, Yashin was cruxified for not caring what happens on the ice because he has his $$$
Incentive based contract, perhaps?

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 04:25 PM
Walzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude View Post
and yet he still would have been our leading scorer
we had 3 guys over his 50 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by eartotheground View Post
Incentive based contract, perhaps?
i don't think it's possible...performance bonuses are only allowed for players who are 35 or older or who spent at least 100(?) days on IR last season. Yashin played only 58 games, but i doubt he was that long on IR

and the other question...how much effort would u show in your job if u just got 2/3 of your salary for the next 4 years for free ?

i didn't trust Yashin while having a big contract and won't trust him now

Old
07-09-2007, 12:50 AM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
We Isles fans can tell you...we looked at him leaving this way.

Addition by Subtraction.

Plus you should be curious to know that his agent is expecting 4million a year.

Hello RSL...

Goodbye NHL .....is my guess where youll see him next year.

07-09-2007, 09:49 AM
OpieAnthony

As another Isles fan. I think Yashin will be a steal this offseason. Don't put him in a leadership role. He was crucified here because of his contract. He wasn't a lazy player, but he got accused of being one. He was a scapegoat for everything that went wrong with the Isles. Give him 3.5 and he will be a steal. He is a pt per game player with one of the best shots in the league. A lot of Isles fans just jumped on the bandwagon against him. He was playing like an MVP early last season and then he took a cheap knee on knee in Nov and didn't come back from that. Many of Jason Blake's goals were because of how well Yashin was playing(Blake has even said so.) Take the pressure off of him and he will be a STEAL.

OpieAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 10:01 AM
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpieAnthony View Post
As another Isles fan. I think Yashin will be a steal this offseason. Don't put him in a leadership role. He was crucified here because of his contract. He wasn't a lazy player, but he got accused of being one. He was a scapegoat for everything that went wrong with the Isles. Give him 3.5 and he will be a steal. He is a pt per game player with one of the best shots in the league. A lot of Isles fans just jumped on the bandwagon against him. He was playing like an MVP early last season and then he took a cheap knee on knee in Nov and didn't come back from that. Many of Jason Blake's goals were because of how well Yashin was playing(Blake has even said so.) Take the pressure off of him and he will be a STEAL.
You're the first Islanders fan to say that here. Even the normally even-keeled ones are saying the opposite. But, you've managed to pique my interest a bit.

The Frugal Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 02:02 PM
boredmale

If you look int he yashin thread i actually said Dallas the perfect place for him as long as they use him as 2nd line/3rd line and PP guy but not go to guy. He is a good secondary scoring type guy who will get you 65P+ but not the guy you want your team to rely on. I think Dallas has a bunch of guys who can compliment Yashin well(read that cover his flaws).

From the 6 year on the island i found Yashin seems to play best with fast wingers or guys who will go into the corners and do the dirty work, and i think Dallas has a team of players like that.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
If you look int he yashin thread i actually said Dallas the perfect place for him as long as they use him as 2nd line/3rd line and PP guy but not go to guy. He is a good secondary scoring type guy who will get you 65P+ but not the guy you want your team to rely on. I think Dallas has a bunch of guys who can compliment Yashin well(read that cover his flaws).

From the 6 year on the island i found Yashin seems to play best with fast wingers or guys who will go into the corners and do the dirty work, and i think Dallas has a team of players like that.
See, on Dallas, a 65+ point player is definitely someone we have to rely on, because only Modano and Morrow are capable of reaching those numbers as forwards, when healthy.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 03:15 PM
hgo

The Islanders tried Yashin on the wing. It didn't go well. Just putting it out there.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Svensken

Sucks how Armstrong just stands on the side while all the good players get signed....... No Drury...... No Gomez......... No Blake...... No Zubrus........

Toby Peterson, Brad Winchester... who?

Scoring is needed and what is left that can score?
Jeff Oneill would have been perfect, 4 seasons ago.
Nils Ekman 6 goals last season very scary.
Mike Jonhson aint a scorer.
Tony Amonte havent scored over 25 goals since 2001

Selanne aint gonna happen, Shanahan aint gonna happen.

Svensken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Walzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensken View Post
Sucks how Armstrong just stands on the side while all the good players get signed....... No Drury...... No Gomez......... No Blake...... No Zubrus........
sucks ?
i'm very happy he didn't sign anyone of these for the terms they got

Old
07-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Svensken

I guess your happy with not scoring goals.

Old
07-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Ruutu15

I'd imagine Walzy is happy we didn't pick up any albatross contracts.
I think picking up some of the recent ufa's would have been horrible, especially the ones we were in the running in for. Could we get any older with Kozlov or Blake, no thanks, and Kariya, we don't need another Arnott come playoff time.
Any who, I hope Eriksson and Jokinen really start to play well, I'd gladly welcome the opportunity for our young guys to step up, rather than another ****** ufa signing.

Ruutu15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 12:08 AM
ThEaNgRyHaB

Doug Armstrong's last stand

This team is ancient. In their minds they are trying to not get older and stay under the cap. They never had any intention of making any big free agent splash. They could be working on a deal, but it's not likely. They did screw up with Nagy though. They could have made some attempt to keep a guy that cost them a #1 draft pick at least. Get ready to either skip the playoffs all together or lose in the 1st round again. The truth is they should have let Modano go last year. They are trying to hold on too long to the remainder of that cup team. I like Zubov, but he is getting up there in age too.
Tom Hicks is all about the $$$. He doesn't care about the team or how's it run as long as he sees playoff dollars. The Stars have no scorers. They have a bunch of guys. That's it. Truth hurts. Move on. Other teams got better and the Stars did nothing. The Stars management blame it on the cap. The same cap Tom Hicks was willing to close down a season for. Tom Hicks was the front of the line when it came to getting that cap added on. Tom Hicks spent millions on a soccer team. Stars fans should be irate at that. He cares more about a team in England than he does about you guys in Dallas.
My guess is, if the Stars don't make the playoffs it won't be Tom Hicks who pays. It will be Doug Armstrong and Dave Tippett. Stars fans might enjoy that, but it is the owner who signs the checks. Be careful what you wish for. I'd be happy if they just had a #1 pick next year when they are drafting in the top 10.

ThEaNgRyHaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 03:29 AM
Svensken

I smell breaktrough year for Louie Eriksson if he gets to play on top line.

Old
07-10-2007, 06:07 AM
Walzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensken View Post
I guess your happy with not scoring goals.
so i should be happy if we have a guy who could chip in ~20 goals next season but brings also an up****ed salary/cap hit structure for the half decade ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruutu15 View Post
Any who, I hope Eriksson and Jokinen really start to play well, I'd gladly welcome the opportunity for our young guys to step up, rather than another ****** ufa signing.
the problem is it looks like they won't use many of the young ones...we already had enough forwards and now we've 2 more with one-way contracts. Guess there we won't see a Lessard or Conner that much.
btw, Mike Heika thinks Miettinen and Jokinen will/could be moved

Quote:

My guess would be Miettinen, Jokinen and maybe Hagman (although I would advise against trading Hagman). One e-mailer suggested Ott, but my guess is that he needs to center these tough guy wingers on the fourth line. I would say Lundqvist is safe, but I would have sworn Jamie Langenbrunner was safe some years back. Sometimes, when trade talk starts (and believe me, it has started with the Stars), names get thrown in that you don't want to trade. Let's hope they keep Lundqvist...unless, of course, they get something really good in return.

Posted by: Mike Heika | July 9, 2007 04:41 PM

oh, and goood jokes, ThEaNgRyHaB

Last edited by Walzy: 07-10-2007 at 06:14 AM.