HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avery or Shanahan

Old
07-08-2007, 12:21 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRchick View Post
Why have only 2 balanced lines when you can have 3? They had 2 balanced lines last year. And with Shanny it's not about just scoring. Where's the respect,people?
Respect...Who doesn't respect Shanny?

It's not about respect..It's about what makes sense to the Rangers...If you dont' resign Shanny the Rangers can resign EVERYBODY else and still have a little cap space to start the season...

The Rangers COULD STILL have 3 balanced scoring lines...

Hossa Gomez Jagr
Straka Drury Prucha
Avery Cullen Callahan

It also keeps a space open in camp for Korpedo, Dawes, Dubinsky, etc to fight over a possible top 3 lineup spot...

Now here come the leadership comments...

The Rangers added leadership in Drury this offseason so the whole "what about what else Shanny brings?" debate really can't say anything...I mean honestly look at the 9 players above...Does anybody think ANYONE of those players needs Shanny to look them in the eye and say "play hard!"?

Shanny at 2.5 million (plus incentives that DO COUNT AGAINST NEXT YEARS CAP) might not be the smartest thing to do...There is another side to the argument but really this is mine...I'm not goin nuts if Shanny returns but if he doesn't it doesn't kil the Rangers chances next season....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 02:41 AM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Figure Hank gets $5 mill,Shanny 2,Avery 2,Hossa 650...otherwise, if Avery asks for more and gets it,it's bye bye Hossa

This is nothing more than a pipe dream. With Giguere getting 6 million per season, and Loungo getting 6.8.....your going to have to expect Lundqvist to be awarded around 6 million per season. Minimum 5.5 million. Avery I expect him in at about 3 million. So minimum wise it ll be about 5.5 + 2.8 = about 8.3 MIN. Obviously if you throw Kaspar into the minors for the whole season it ll give you an extra 3 which would allow you to sign Shanahan also. It'll give you an amazing group of forwards, but its the defense that gets into through the playoffs.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 02:49 AM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
I don't see why they'd have to choose. Sign them both. I've said this before,but I'm sorry,if Hossa has to be a sacrificial lamb in order for that to happen,so be it.
Even as a Isles fan, id agree...it makes the most sense.

07-08-2007, 03:13 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
With $9.8 million left, the Rangers should be able to get Henke long term, and get both Avery and Shanny under wraps, with Hossa's being close to fitting in, too. If Hossa gets awarded too much, the Rangers walk away and have under a million left in cap space. Far too much kvetching going on right now.
Totally agree with that Jas.

As for the choice...

Being the greedy chap that I am and one who does not play well with others, I'll break your rules and sign both.

Avery has done much to impress me. He's blown me away in fact, but he still has much to learn and Shanahan is the man to teach him.

I don't think a single player on the Rangers stands to benefit from Brendan as much as Avery. With another season or two under Shanny's wing, Avery has a chance to mature into a player, leader and team mate that is far beyond where he is now.

Shanahan could help mold Avery into a champion.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 08:32 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Totally agree with that Jas.

As for the choice...

Being the greedy chap that I am and one who does not play well with others, I'll break your rules and sign both.

Avery has done much to impress me. He's blown me away in fact, but he still has much to learn and Shanahan is the man to teach him.

I don't think a single player on the Rangers stands to benefit from Brendan as much as Avery. With another season or two under Shanny's wing, Avery has a chance to mature into a player, leader and team mate that is far beyond where he is now.

Shanahan could help mold Avery into a champion.
I'm signing both, also. The guy who gets left out in my equation is Hossa. What people are forgetting about last year is that, once the Rangers were ready to promote Girardi, they farmed out Kaspar. They can do the same if they feel a Baranka is ready, or believe Pock can handle a full time position. (I'm making the assumption the Staal will be ready and in the lineup.) The Rangers have options, and, due to a deep farm system, they can move out salaries if need be.

Again, far too much worrying around here.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 11:31 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Yeah,trade your 3rd line center...real smart.
Wouldn't Avery be your 3rd line center when you sign him? All i know is if i had a choice of losing one of Shanahan, Avery and Cullen i would probably go with Cullen if i was the Rangers(unless Avery gets some whacked out arbitration award).

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 12:45 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Wouldn't Avery be your 3rd line center when you sign him? All i know is if i had a choice of losing one of Shanahan, Avery and Cullen i would probably go with Cullen if i was the Rangers(unless Avery gets some whacked out arbitration award).
If Cullen is moved, it'll be because the Rangers feel Brandon Dubinsky is ready for full time duty. Avery will play LW, be it on the 2nd or 3rd line.

Last edited by jas: 07-08-2007 at 02:36 PM.
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Pizza

Yup.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 07:19 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Looking at our cap figures we have a shade under $9M to dole out for Lundqvist, Avery, Shannahan & Hossa. If Lundqvist gets an aver of $4.67M over 6 years, that would leave $4.33M. Avery at $2M per for 3 yrs, leaves $2M plus a bonus laiden contract for Shanny and no money for Hossa.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 07:36 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post

It's not about respect..It's about what makes sense to the Rangers...If you dont' resign Shanny the Rangers can resign EVERYBODY else and still have a little cap space to start the season...

Hossa Gomez Jagr
Straka Drury Prucha
Avery Cullen Callahan

It also keeps a space open in camp for Korpedo, Dawes, Dubinsky, etc to fight over a possible top 3 lineup spot...

Now here come the leadership comments...

The Rangers added leadership in Drury this offseason so the whole "what about what else Shanny brings?" debate really can't say anything...I mean honestly look at the 9 players above...Does anybody think ANYONE of those players needs Shanny to look them in the eye and say "play hard!"?

Shanny at 2.5 million (plus incentives that DO COUNT AGAINST NEXT YEARS CAP) might not be the smartest thing to do...There is another side to the argument but really this is mine...I'm not goin nuts if Shanny returns but if he doesn't it doesn't kil the Rangers chances next season....

+1

People have a difficult time seperating their personal feelings about Shanny with what might be in the best interest of the team. I love what Shanny did for us as much as the next guy/girl but there is no denying that Shanny wasn't the same player after the concussion and looked 5 steps slower than everyone else in the Buffalo series. Shanny was a (-6) in the Buffalo series. I know the +/- stat isn't the end all be all but in this case it accurately describes Shannys play in that series. Everytime he was on the ice something good was happening for Buffalo.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 11:28 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post

Hossa Gomez Jagr
Straka Drury Prucha
Avery Cullen Callahan
As a Flyers fan I would not mind playing against this team.
I do not think this team will finish 1st in Atlantic.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 11:40 PM
Renney=Savior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
As a Flyers fan I would not mind playing against this team.
I do not think this team will finish 1st in Atlantic.
I agree with you. If the Penguins get goaltending they're the team to beat. But Flyers have Biron who's terrible. Devils have holes to fill including the coach. The Islanders will be playing for the lottery. Right now it looks to be a two team race between Pens and the Rangers.

Just wondering what your pick is.

Renney=Savior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 08:28 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renney=Savior View Post
I agree with you. If the Penguins get goaltending they're the team to beat. But Flyers have Biron who's terrible. Devils have holes to fill including the coach. The Islanders will be playing for the lottery. Right now it looks to be a two team race between Pens and the Rangers.

Just wondering what your pick is.
Terrible? I would not call him terrible.
Flyers blue line is loaded with pretty good players. Both Biron and Nitty (in theory) will have better season playing behind Flyers defense.

Hossa Gomez Jagr
Straka Drury Prucha
Avery Cullen Callahan

vs

Gagne Briere Lupul
Hartnell Carter Knuble
Kapanen Richards Upshall
Eager Umberger Potulny/Downie/Ruzicka
Umberger will replace Kapanen from time to time playing with Richards, Potulny will play at center

Last edited by Kaktus*: 07-10-2007 at 08:37 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote