Notices

1993-1994 season

Old
07-09-2007, 01:21 AM
zot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux_interior View Post
Officially it is alternate captains. But I don't remember who they were.
Per Mighty Ducks Official Yearbook 1994-1995 page 143:

Opening Night (10/03/93) and Closing Night (04/13/94) Captains and Alternate Captains:
Captain: Troy Loney
Alternate Captains: Randy Ladouceur, Stu Grimson, Todd Ewen

zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 02:06 AM
zot

I also own the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim 1993-94 Official Inaugural Year Scrapbook, which is a compilation of newspaper articles from the Orange County Register. Recently, I read through some of the articles and found something I would like to share.

Excerpts from Mighty Ducks Will Be Mighty Big, per Earl Bloom, O.C. Register, August 19, 1993:

Quote:
Ferreira said the Ducks' size was the topic of a recent conversation he had with Hartford Whalers general manager Brian Burke.
"Brian said, and these are his words, 'You're not going to be intimidated,'" Ferreira said, " 'and some nights you're going to intimidate'. Size can be an equalizer on some nights. You need to have size, and quickness, to win those 1-on-1 confrontations along the boards or in front of the net. And, when you're playing against big guys, size is going to wear you down"
The inaugural team had guys like Todd Ewen (6-2, 220), Stu Grimson (6-5, 227), Randy Ladouceur (6-2, 220), Bill Houlder (6-3, 218), Bobby Dollas (6-2, 212), Alexi Kasatonov (6-2, 215), Bob Corkum (6-2, 212), Shaun Van Allen (6-1, 200) Troy Loney (6-3, 209), Robin Bawa (6-2, 214 and Jim Thomson (6-1, 205).

zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 07:48 AM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackCrackleNPop View Post
Yeah, after that lockout season I believe he played in Switzerland.

Anyone remember Shaun Van Allen or Bill Houlder?
Shaun, yes, third-best fourth-line center we ever had (behind Marchant and Chouinard). He had a four-assist game once.

And Bill Houlder, big slapshot. He was a "gentle giant," a big guy who wouldn't use his body. I remember Hazy likening him to the big kid that grows up being careful not to hurt smaller kids. That's how he played.

Snap Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 08:32 AM
Jagr68Lundqvist30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseduck View Post
Canucks lost in the finals.

That was awesome. LOL
Yes, yes it was

Jagr68Lundqvist30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 09:13 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by baka View Post
The moment I remember most was when McSween severed Selanne's tendon with his skate blade... damn it still gives me shivers.
I remember that, and then 2 years later when McSween has his left wrist almost sliced through against the Jets. That was a nasty incident as well. Never did get back to the NHL after that.

SpinTheBlackCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 11:10 AM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
I remember that, and then 2 years later when McSween has his left wrist almost sliced through against the Jets. That was a nasty incident as well. Never did get back to the NHL after that.
I was at that game, Tkachuk stepped right on his wrist (unintentionally), sliced it. It was just sick. The sight of McSween's panicked reaction and realizing what happened left me light-headed for the rest of the night.

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 11:33 AM
BraveSirRobin
Ducks offseason

Send a message via MSN to BraveSirRobin
The Hebert-Shtalenkov pairing was a good one, Mikhail was a good back up.

The only thing I remember from that first season was that it was on KCAL and I remember Bob Corkum being awesome. I wasn't a Duck fan yet, in fact this season was the first I watched any sort of hockey. I was about 8.

BraveSirRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 11:46 AM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal View Post
I was at that game, Tkachuk stepped right on his wrist (unintentionally), sliced it. It was just sick. The sight of McSween's panicked reaction and realizing what happened left me light-headed for the rest of the night.
If I'd been at the game where Malarchuk got his jugular cut, I'd probably have stopped watching hockey for about 10 years. As it was, just watching on TV freaked me out for a good month or so.

mmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 12:27 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
If I'd been at the game where Malarchuk got his jugular cut, I'd probably have stopped watching hockey for about 10 years. As it was, just watching on TV freaked me out for a good month or so.
God, that one was way worse, I would have thrown up in someone's mouth had I been there for Malarchuk.

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Jezz*

Quote:
When Joe left the Ducks the Del Taco signs on the boards behind the nets gave a huge sigh of relief.
Until friesen showed up.

I always liked Dollas. Cause for some unknown reason, he played with like a kid sized stick. Never seen a defensemen have such a short stick. (insert your own witty puns here)

It didn't happen that first year, but I remember he once put a puck right through the netting in the back of the net with a slapshot.

Jezz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 12:21 PM
baka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezz View Post
I always liked Dollas.
He was the slowest skater I've ever seen - Yeah that toothpick of a stick was weird.

Gary Valk was prolly one of the best penalty killers we've ever had imho.

King was having a great year until he got injured too.

I miss those boyz!

Good times in OC

Last edited by baka: 07-14-2007 at 02:44 PM.
baka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Theridion

I was young (like 12-13) and new to hockey. Had season seats, but I don't remember much (someone mentioning the goofy cartoon after fights brings back memories)

One thing that stands out is the night early on in the season that they gave away duck callers to all the fans. it was a loud night...

My duck caller still resides on my desk and made some appearances during the playoffs and finals this year.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 04:46 PM
JeffShibley

I actually went to a pre-season game in 93' for a friends birthday and thats how i got hooked on the ducks......its fun to say that i've seen them before they ever even had there first real game. My favourite players that yeara was Terry Yake, and Todd Ewen. I liked Tugnutt much more than I liked Hebert. My favourite defenceman was probably Bobby Dollas.

JeffShibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 08:30 PM
abax44

For me, the biggest thing that season was Selanne having his achiles tendon severed and rumors of it being a career ender.

abax44 is offline   Reply With Quote