HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Canucks vulturing

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2003, 06:02 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

vCash: 500
Canucks vulturing

I know the subject of RJ Umberger has been brought up before. I think we're in agreement that he would be a worthy acquisition if DM could pull it off.
Now, Fedor Fedorov is in the doghouse and the rumor is he's going to go as well. He's been labled with attitude problems (which this team doesn't need) but he also has top-6 ability (which this team does need).

Should Columbus pursue an Umberger/Fedorov package? What can Columbus give?

I know most of the fans are asking a 2nd for Umberger (they'll get that in compensation if he walks), but Columbus doesn't have one this year. I saw a conditional 5th rounder as an asking price for Fedorov. Maybe Columbus could split the difference between the two and offer a 3rd and 4th for the pair? Of course, that scenario could leave the CBJ with a first round pick and nothing until day 2, which probably isn't a good idea.

Just thinking out loud here. Be gentle, I'm bored.

Old
12-31-2003, 06:17 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
I dont think I would give up anything more then a 5th Round Draft Pick. And the chances of us doing business with Bryan Burke are slim to none.

Old
12-31-2003, 06:21 AM
puckgoalnet

I'd still love to get RJ on this team if possible, we could use the size and depth at the center position that he could possibly bring. We could use another top-6 center prospect.

Fedorov I wouldn't want. He's over-rated and is getting more press than he deserves mainly because of his older brother. Most analysts/scouts have backed off that top-6 prediction. He looks to be panning out as a 3rd liner now ... good speed, good in the corners but not an all-around game and not a serious scoring threat. I personally don't think we need yet another 3rd liner.

Last edited by puckgoalnet: 12-31-2003 at 06:40 AM.
Old
12-31-2003, 12:52 PM
Phaze

If I am a GM I don't trade a 2nd for a 3rd and 4th unless the draft is very deep. In effect you are asking for a 2nd and Fedorov for a 3rd and a 4th which to me, isn't worth it for the Canucks.
Also, yes Fedorov looks bad right now. The above poster was saying he looks like a future 3rd liner. His defense is brutal and IMO if he makes the NHL it will be as a scorer on the top 2 lines or nothing at all.

Old
12-31-2003, 01:51 PM
Reign Nateo

Fedorov for a 5th is fine. Done deal as far as I'm concerned.

Umberger your not getting. At least not yet (outside of dangling a 1st round pick) the Canucks will reveive the 46th overall pick for losing him and unless you can beat that, his rights will be in Vancouver until the summer.

Then you'll probably have to battle with Pittsburgh to get him inked.

Old
12-31-2003, 07:41 PM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo

Umberger your not getting. At least not yet (outside of dangling a 1st round pick) the Canucks will reveive the 46th overall pick for losing him and unless you can beat that, his rights will be in Vancouver until the summer.

Has RJ actually stated a desire to play in Pittsburgh, or is everyone just assuming that because of his history?

Old
01-01-2004, 06:38 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by fan-o-45
Has RJ actually stated a desire to play in Pittsburgh, or is everyone just assuming that because of his history?

Assuming that, as he is from West Pennslyvania. However, I doubt the Pens have the money to sign this guy, assuming he isnt going to take less money to go to Pittsburgh.

Old
01-01-2004, 07:52 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo

If Columbus can wait until the summer and sign him without giving up any picks, I'd personally rather do that. It just seems like to get him, they're going to have to trade for him.
Am I correct in assuming the compensation pick does not come from Columbus if Columbus were to sign him? If that's the case, I'd take my chance and wait.

Old
01-01-2004, 10:49 AM
nucks2001

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
If Columbus can wait until the summer and sign him without giving up any picks, I'd personally rather do that. It just seems like to get him, they're going to have to trade for him.
Am I correct in assuming the compensation pick does not come from Columbus if Columbus were to sign him? If that's the case, I'd take my chance and wait.
The compensation does not come from Columbus

Old
01-01-2004, 10:56 AM
nucks2001

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Umberger isn't actually asking for a lot of cash.. ~950k per I believe. Burke is just really stubborn.

Old
01-01-2004, 10:58 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks2001
Umberger isn't actually asking for a lot of cash.. ~950k per I believe. Burke is just really stubborn.
Is Burke stubborn, or does he realize that he'd rather have a 2nd rounder in 2004 then Umberger?

How's Umberger's development been going? I can't say I've been watching all that close on him.

Old
01-01-2004, 10:58 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
The compensation does not come from Columbus
You're right.

Umberger would be listed as an unrestricted free agent, but Vancouver is awarded compensation from the league.

Old
01-01-2004, 08:42 PM
detredWINgs

You do NOT want Fedor Fedorov. He sucks. I would know, i went to high school with him for a year and watched many games for him when he played for the Detroit Vipers. The only reason he got anywhere was because of the name on the back of his jersey. He is overrated and would be a horrible addition to anyones team

Any of you want Boyd Devereaux???...the wings would give him to you nearly free, for "future considerations".

Old
01-01-2004, 09:33 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
He's not stubborn - Umberger is asking for huge "gimme" bonus clauses in his contract. Base salary has nothing to do with it.

Fedorov for a 5th is done and done. I doubt you'll see Umberger traded for picks. Maybe another veteran, but the only thing CBS has that would really help Vancouver (IMO, of course) is Darryl Sydor, who I don't see moving soon.

Old
01-01-2004, 10:49 PM
CCF
This is the year....

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs
You do NOT want Fedor Fedorov. He sucks. I would know, i went to high school with him for a year and watched many games for him when he played for the Detroit Vipers. The only reason he got anywhere was because of the name on the back of his jersey. He is overrated and would be a horrible addition to anyones team

Any of you want Boyd Devereaux???...the wings would give him to you nearly free, for "future considerations".
Sounds like he beat you up everyday for your lunch money...

Old
01-02-2004, 04:22 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs
You do NOT want Fedor Fedorov. He sucks. I would know, i went to high school with him for a year and watched many games for him when he played for the Detroit Vipers.
Fedor Federov never played a game for the Detroit Vipers. He was signed in August 1998 and released before the season started.

Closed Thread