HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can someone explain why its taking so long to re-sign Avery, Shanahan, etc.

Old
07-08-2007, 08:47 AM
g52*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to g52*
Can someone explain why its taking so long to re-sign Avery, Shanahan, etc.

All of you are talking like Shanny is LOCKED up on this team for next season, and Avery as well.

What is Sather doing? Im assuming the Rangers are done with UFA's because they havent done anything in the past week after the Gomez/Drury signings.

What is taking so long to re-sign these guys? Seriously is Sather taking another " break " (like he always does) on the links?

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 09:04 AM
lundy30

I think Sather never expected landing both Drury and Gomez. He's in jam!! Lundqvist should have been the first signing and then go after UFA's. He shot himself in the foot. Also we now have little money for Shanny and Avery!!. It better work out because just like the big names make you win....the heart and soul often comes from 3rd and 4th liners. Remember that without a goalie you'll never win!

lundy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 09:10 AM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Lundqvist is locked up, not a huge problem. Shanny shouldn't be a problem either, but I hope that Sather's treating him with some respect. I read the other day in the Daily News that Sather hadn't even returned Shanny's agent's calls, which is not a good way of treating a veteran.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 09:16 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Avery filed for aribitration so Slats is in no rush to sign him. They're waiting to nail down the exact terms of Lundy's contract before signing Shanny, especially since Shanny killed all his leverage by saying he'd only play for the Rags.

I think everyone is panicking a bit too much. Rarely are second and thirf tier UFA/RFAs signed much before the end of July.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 09:17 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I'm sure Shanny has the terms laid out for him, but the exact number and how they are going to structure it all depends on what is gonna happen with the other players.

We will have to wait until the arbitration dates to get those squared away and once that happens i think Shanny will be signed. You might have a week where all 4 players are signed and maybe even Souray. (dont know how they will have room but it seems to me like hes waiting for the Rangers)

I think theyll be a deal done too to cleat some cap room because at this rate theyll be close to going over.

Let's hope this is all just a meticulous balancing act for the Rangers and their capologist which is why it's taking so long.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 09:37 AM
Smashley

Vacation Baby... Booze, Poker, Loose Women!

(I secretly feel like there are about a half dozen threads already talking about this)

Last edited by Smashley: 07-08-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 09:39 AM
Aviv Geffen

If you need some cap relief we'll take prucha and cullen off your hands......Good luck next year when Jagr is a free agent. You guys have at a bargain cap hit of $4 Million

Aviv Geffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 09:43 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

What is happening is that we're right up against the cap and we have four moving parts all of which require negotiation and all of which impact the other three. So each time you get new information from one of the camps, you have to digest it, see how it affects all four and then, based on that, go back to each one with your thoughts. Then, each agent has to take those new thoughts from you to his player and after a day or two they get back to you with THEIR thoughts. The cycle goes on until hopefully all close in on contracts that work under the cap.

Each time this happens, it takes several days. And in each case you're only inching towards a deal, because we're so close up against the cap that Sather can't say "screw it, let's split the difference and call it a deal" - he's got to be very careful to get as much progress as he can at each stage. Now, it all gets easier if you decide that you don't need one of the players or if you make a deal to free up space, but as long as he's trying to fit everyone in, the reality is that it's a very delicate juggling act that's going to take some time to resolve.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 09:44 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

It's called looking for Mr IMPACT D MAN

Gomez and Drury making uncle Glen work overtime, but the PLAN is still in motion.

Cap space must be cleared. Sather seems loathe to give up any prospects(so far). Not that they'd help the cap, but it's what the GM's are asking for.

Trade packages are on the table. The waiting is always the hardest part.

07-08-2007, 09:49 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Didn't the Rangers sign Prucha this week as well?

Didn't Avery file for arbitration because he and the Rangers couldn't agree on a contract? Why is it taking so long? Because these things don't happen overnight...It's not as simple as a video game...

Shanahan...well....if he doesn't come back...oh well..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 09:54 AM
gmanwrx

I know it is sad. If we just signed these players, Avery, shanny, Henrik, we can start looking forward into the season instead of who else is new on the team.

i would like to see hossa back!! But we really need those 3 players mention up top!!!!

gmanwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
It's not taking an unreasonably long time. You, along with many others on this board, are bored and impatient because it's the offseason and nothing else is happening.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Its taking so long because right now signings hang on the arbitration hearings of Avery, Hossa and most importantly Lundquvist. Lundy most likely (from what has been written) will sign before the hearing.. but then you have to wait to see what Avery is awarded, then you can offer Shannahan a contract if you have enough money after Lundquvist and Avery.... everything is interconnected and we will just have to wait it out, which sucks, but it could be a lot worse.

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 10:08 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
It's not taking an unreasonably long time. You, along with many others on this board, are bored and impatient because it's the offseason and nothing else is happening.
Not to mention the relative short attention span of most sports fans, and our society as a whole.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Not to mention the relative short attention span of most sports fans, and our society as a whole.
Short attention span? what are y... !!OOOOOH SHINEY BLUE CAR!!

Old
07-08-2007, 10:11 AM
gmanwrx

impatient Yes, only cause i dont want to see any of them to go. After having such and good season, i dont want to loose anyone.

This up coming season has so many roster changes, we will have almost the same team. or team is already gel together!!

thats y i'm impatient.

gmanwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 10:15 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanwrx View Post
impatient Yes, only cause i dont want to see any of them to go. After having such and good season, i dont want to loose anyone.

This up coming season has so many roster changes, we will have almost the same team. or team is already gel together!!

thats y i'm impatient.

Every season has many roster changes. I can almost guarantee you that the roster we see opening night will not be the one we see in March. Last year's team didn't gel until after the trade deadline...again, the word for the day is "I-M-P-A-T-I-E-N-T"...can you say it with me, children? I thought you could.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 10:32 AM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

I was just looking at some transaction history...

http://www.outsidethegarden.com/transact.asp?year=2006

We didn't sign Shanny until the 9th of July and Rozsival, Tyutin and Hossa didn't sign until August. Patience.

Old
07-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Sather is a patient man, and although we're desperate for news, the season doesn't start until Sept 29th.. he's in no rush because 3 out of our 4 assets are awaiting arbitration and can't be touched, and the other says he only wants to play here. So even though everyone is worrying that Slats is dropping the ball or whatever, we're actually in good shape, so let him do his thing.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 10:46 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

The only one that can move is Shannahan. Lundqvist & Avery are locked up, they are not going anywhere. Their contracts maybe for a year, we may reach accord for longer terms deals. Then again maybe we wouldn't and we will wait to after Jan 1st and ink both to long term deals. I like Avery and I liked waht he brought, but 1/2 season doesn't prove he's changed his tune. Avery has issues and you better make sure he's changed before you ink him to a multi year deal.

Shanny is 38 going on 39, or is it 39 going on 40. He faded badly before he got hurt. Very similar to what we saw each year with Messier. Another caution flag. I like Shannahan, but he ain't in the long term plans and after all of his comments he is not the focus. He either knows he is wanted or not and he must know the contract structure.

Now go take a nap and set the timer for 2 weeks.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote