Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hiller vs Bryzgalov

Old
07-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Ducks

vCash: 500
Hiller vs Bryzgalov

So what's the deal with Hiller? I know it's time for Bryz to be a starter and all, but what I don't understand is why Hiller was signed for twice as much money as Bryz?

I don't know a whole lot about Hiller but it just doesn't make sense that we would trade an extremely talented backup goalie and bring in a new one for twice as much money that hasn't proven himself at the same level of play yet.

I mean look at the salaries:

$1,181,250 Bryzgalov

vs

$3,200,000 Hiller

what am i missing here?

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 01:34 PM
190Octane

Most of that 3.2 million is in bonuses that I imagine Hiller wouldn't achieve unless JS went down with an injury.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 02:21 PM
Kimi

Meaning his cap hit would be big, but as we were planning on running on about $44m cash, we had the space to burn. Even then, you can go over the cap by 10% with bonuses, which is taken back from your cap next season; again it's not a problem as we'll still be aiming to be running with the $44m cash.

Kimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Ducks

salary cap aside, is he worth more money than Bryz?

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 02:31 PM
bleuer

Send a message via Yahoo to bleuer
not yet...he has not proven that he can play on NHL level...but I can imagine that he will be as good as Bryz if he gets used to the new situation.

bleuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 05:52 PM
Eb0la11

With Hiller being an RFA next offseason and Bryzgalov being a UFA, do you guys thikn that Hiller will be the backup for the 08/09 season undoubtedly? It looks like its heading that way. Obviously a game hasnt been played yet and a lot can change, but Hiller seems to be gaining decent accolades.

Eb0la11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Zymergist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunymare889 View Post
Three ****ing million for Hiller?!?!?!?!

He will make only 850,000 according to this
Read the above posts. His Salary is $850k, his max possible bonus is $2.35M for a max possible earing of $3.2M. However, if he plays in the NHL he is likely to get $850k salary+ $850k type "A" bonus = $1.7M. The rest of his bonus is type "B" which would be very hard for him to obtain unless he becomes a top 15 goaltender in the league and gets some cool trophies at the end of the season. As far as cap numbers go, the Ducks need to report his max possible earnings of $3.2M for the year.

Remember though that teams can exceed the cap by 7.5% with considered max possible bonuses at the beginning of the season but total paid out at the end of the season needs to be below the cap.

Zymergist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 09:23 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

The money invested in Hiller isn't indicative of his current status so much as it is an investment towards his future. He was a free agent and had lots of suitors. Burkie had to throw a lot of dough at him to get him over. It's only a one-year entry level contract as next year when it expires and he's a RFA he'd should only great a raise that's somewhere around 900k to a mil. Barring of course him having an amazing rookie season. Point is it's a lot of money to get a goalie they hope to have for some time.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote