HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#33| Tampa Bay Lightning @ New York Islanders | December 20th 7:00 PM | F/W 3-1

Old
12-20-2014, 06:41 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
#33| Tampa Bay Lightning @ New York Islanders | December 20th 7:00 PM | F/W 3-1

Preview

All time series record: The Lightning lead 46-43-3 with a 2.8 GFPGA While the Islanders are averaging 2.7 GFPGA. Islanders all time @ home VS Tampa Bay are 24-20-1 with a 2.9 GFPGA the Lightning are averaging 2.6 GFPGA at the NVMC.

1st meeting this season highlights...
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=118...goryid=2459791

2nd meeting this season highlights...
http://espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=400564162

The New York Islanders' final season at the Nassau Coliseum is becoming memorable, but their dominance of the Tampa Bay Lightning there goes back seven years.

The Islanders look to continue their impressive play at home in order to beat the Atlantic Division-leading Lightning again Saturday night.

New York (22-10-0) is moving to the Barclays Center in Brooklyn in 2015-16, and so far the team is having a final season to remember at the Coliseum.

The Islanders are among the best home teams in the NHL, sporting a 12-3-0 record while winning nine of 10 -- including a 5-2 victory over Tampa Bay on Nov. 18.

They're 11-2-1 in their last 14 home matchups with the Lightning, taking 13 of a possible 14 points over the past seven.

Brock Nelson has two goals and one assist in two overall matchups with Tampa Bay this season. The center enters this one after netting a goal and setting up another in a 2-1 win at Detroit on Friday.

"The story of the year, so far, is how we find different ways to win," Nelson said. "The last two games, we've played well defensively."

Nelson is doing his part offensively, as his 14 goals lead the Islanders and match his total as a rookie from last season.

Kyle Okposo and John Tavares have been held off the scoresheet in the past two games, but they're still tied for the team lead with 27 points.

Both should welcome a visit from the Lightning (20-10-4). Tavares has 14 points in 10 career home matchups, while Okposo has 11 points while getting at least one in each of his nine.

Tampa Bay is 1-2-1 on this five-game road trip after falling 3-2 in a shootout at New Jersey on Friday. The Lightning overcame a two-goal first-period deficit as Nikita Kucherov scored with 40.1 seconds left in regulation, but he was one of three Tampa Bay shooters to miss in the tiebreaker.

"Points are very valuable. You can't just throw one away like that," said right wing Ryan Callahan, who had two assists for a second straight game. "The shootout is pretty much a crap shoot, but that was a very valuable point we let get away."

Steven Stamkos didn't get a point in the last game at the Coliseum, but he had five goals and six assists over the previous eight. The center has found the net once in each of the last two games, giving him 19 goals (fourth in the NHL) and 36 points (sixth).

Kucherov has four goals and three assists in his last five games, and he has an assist in both season meetings with the Islanders.

With Ben Bishop expected to be out a third straight game with a lower-body injury, it's unclear if Evgeni Nabokov will start back-to-back nights for the first time this season after making 16 saves Friday. He's 3-4-2 with a 2.84 goals-against average after spending three seasons as the Islanders' starter.

After making 12 saves in the first period in his return to New York in November, Nabokov let in five goals over the final two periods.

Tampa Bay's other option is 2012 first-round pick Andrei Vasilevskiy, who made 23 saves in a 3-1 win at Philadelphia in his NHL debut Tuesday.

Useful links
http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/

http://www.tsn.ca/

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/islanders/

http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/islanders.htm

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday

http://islanders.nhl.com/

Last edited by MattMartin: 12-20-2014 at 02:46 PM.
MattMartin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 06:50 AM
NYI JT91

Bought 2 tickets last night after the win. Center ice 300s Row K aisle seats $37 a piece ( aisle seats are a huge selling point for me - hate sitting in the middle of a row lol)

Really hoping Halak starts. Also, want to see JT have a good game...KO was real good last night, so that was promising...hopefully he can help JT.

Halak - Win 5-3 Win
Johnson - 6-4 Loss

Hopefully we have a sellout (yes it's a weekend game so it should be but it's the last weekend before Xmas and people are either shopping or not spending extra $)

LGI !

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 08:51 AM
puckstopper55

Send a message via AIM to puckstopper55
Got some tix from an old friend too. With that long break I hope we start halak tonight. Not sure why you would play your best goalie on the road and start your backup at home but who knows. Any idea of what Halaks history in back to back starts is?

puckstopper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 09:02 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckstopper55 View Post
Got some tix from an old friend too. With that long break I hope we start halak tonight. Not sure why you would play your best goalie on the road and start your backup at home but who knows. Any idea of what Halaks history in back to back starts is?
1st off we started the season that way. Halak @ Carolina Johnson VS Carolina. The reason I think they started Halak yesterday is because he was going against Howard. I think he plans on playing Johnson tonight knowing there is a 95% it's Nabby or Vasilevskiy.

MattMartin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 10:24 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Let's close out the weekend with 2 more points.

12-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Isles1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
1st off we started the season that way. Halak @ Carolina Johnson VS Carolina. The reason I think they started Halak yesterday is because he was going against Howard. I think he plans on playing Johnson tonight knowing there is a 95% it's Nabby or Vasilevskiy.

Nabby played last night, so I'm pretty sure it's going to be Vasilevskiy.

I like our lines as they are set right now, want to see them roll with it for a few games. Bailey seemed to have a little more spark to his game playing LW on that top line. I know many of us wanted to see this for some time. Tavares just needs to start shooting more when entering the zone like he started doing late in the game last night, or chip it in for the other two to chase, he is being doubled teamed immediately. Only problem is they seemed to have a problem containing Detroit's top line as Butchie mentioned several times, but that was more of a matchup issue. JT just needs to get back to a simple game to get out of this funk he is in. If that line starts to click, look out.

Johnson needs a solid performance if in tonight, he is due.....Would love to get another 2 points tonight, preferably a ROW win....Lets Go Islanders!!!!!!!!!!!

Isles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 10:46 AM
xECK29x

Will be there, place will be rocking yet again!! Can't wait to see Boychuk in action!

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 11:07 AM
islesfan186
YES! YES! YES!

Hope the boys can pull it out tonight. Luckily TB played last night as well, so the isles won't be at a disadvantage. I'm guessing Vasilevskiy will play since Nabokov played last night. CJ probably plays tonight which means isles will need to pot 5 to win.

islesfan186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 11:22 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 476
Is it wrong to hope that Johnson comes down with a non-contagious disease this afternoon?

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 11:33 AM
GrandmaSlices51631

Johnson vs. the Lightning? Hopefully he can turn it around tonight!

GrandmaSlices51631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 11:36 AM
BMOK33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaSlices51631 View Post
Johnson vs. the Lightning? Hopefully he can turn it around tonight!
He was giving up 65 foot goals against them last time so chances are he cannot get much worse.

BMOK33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 11:36 AM
Isles1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Is it wrong to hope that Johnson comes down with a non-contagious disease this afternoon?
lol, in all seriousness though, I think Halak looks better when rested, so we really need to see what we have in Johnson, I think he should get the nod tonight. If he puts up another stinker, we really need to look for a solution.

Just wanted to add that I really love the way that Kinkaid kid is playing for the Devs, good positioning, quick lateral movement, and above average reactionary skills......quite envious actually, especially since he grew up an Islanders fan and his parents were season ticket holders.

Isles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 11:48 AM
Islesfan22

Buddy got an extra ticket so I'm going tonight. Of course the only other game I went to they blew a 3-0 lead against the Blues.

Islesfan22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 11:50 AM
nyckid72

WOW Halak getting back to back starts LGI!!!!

nyckid72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 11:50 AM
CaptDenisPotvin

As someone that has hated on Bailey for a few years now....were my eyes playing tricks on me or was he the most noticeable player on the 1st line last night? (Just typing it I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit)

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 12:01 PM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDenisPotvin View Post
As someone that has hated on Bailey for a few years now....were my eyes playing tricks on me or was he the most noticeable player on the 1st line last night? (Just typing it I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit)
Bailey was the most complete player on 1st line last night. Had a good game, did what he was supposed to do, no mistakes.

BillD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 12:22 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

So pumped, Halak is in goal.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 12:32 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
So pumped, Halak is in goal.
Islanders really need to be careful they don't overplay Halak

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 12:43 PM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Islanders really need to be careful they don't overplay Halak
There's some down time in the schedule coming up. We're off until Tuesday (home vs. MTL) and then no games until next Saturday. There's sufficient rest for Halak this week.

Go with your best goalie. LGI!

MJF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 12:46 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
There's some down time in the schedule coming up. We're off until Tuesday (home vs. MTL) and then no games until next Saturday. There's sufficient rest for Halak this week.

Go with your best goalie. LGI!
Exactly, this stretch of schedule offers a decent amount of rest and honestly, your #1 should be able to pull a back to back in some situations.

We are not asking him to play back to backs against lesser opponents. Detroit and Tampa are high end clubs.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Knish Of The Crease

We'll come out flying. Don't see why we won't.

Isles 9
BOLTS! 1

Knish Of The Crease is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 12:50 PM
Chairman Wang

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Bailey was the most complete player on 1st line last night. Had a good game, did what he was supposed to do, no mistakes.
As I have said directly and/or alluded in other threads... I see Bailey, and he looks like a slightly more skilled, less physical version of Kulemon. Both players go about their business with solid positioning and effort. Minimal mistakes in the Defensive zone and very few blue line turnovers that has plagued other Islander forwards from time-to-time.

Chairman Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 12:52 PM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
Exactly, this stretch of schedule offers a decent amount of rest and honestly, your #1 should be able to pull a back to back in some situations.

We are not asking him to play back to backs against lesser opponents. Detroit and Tampa are high end clubs.
Right. Conference game (I can't believe I'm saying this) and I would like to see us keep a roll going through the Christmas break.

MJF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 12:53 PM
Chairman Wang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knish Of The Crease View Post
We'll come out flying. Don't see why we won't.

Isles 9
BOLTS! 1
You should start a poll thread. Because, one day it will actually happen... 9-1 Isles win. I of course am going to pick the 9-1 win as the Conference title clinching game against the Rangers.

Chairman Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2014, 01:18 PM
Islander Prophet

im pretty confident we are winning this one, no matter who starts in net

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote