HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yay or Nay on Sather the Negotiator

Old
07-09-2007, 09:39 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Yay or Nay on Sather the Negotiator

Still hasnt quite sunk in that Scott Gomez and Chris Drury are going to be NY Rangers next season. I am a glass half full kind of guy to begin with, but I am pretty excited by the signings.

I am admittedly disappointed that Nylander has to be gone but now that it's sunk in a little I'm more ok with it.

When he fired his agent I wasnt really worried but when I heard a deal was on the table and he wasnt signing it just reminded me of Ruccinsky the season before.

Sather made an offer and the player either refused or took his time with the answer and Sather went right ahead with exploring other deals and found something he thought was better. Deal is no more.

I like that sort of aggressive style. Work well with what you have but, as long as you can, keep the options open to improve your position etc.

We now will have to wait and see what chemistry these new lines will have, nobody knows for sure, but I do think the Gomez/Drury signings look real good for the Rangers franchise both during the Jagr era and after the Jagr era.

I don't believe Sathers taking any such hardballstance with Lundqvist. It's not like there are too many better options out there, but would he with Sean Avery? Shanahan?

You could argue that those roster spots "could" be filled with either more skilled or Younger players.

Free Agency does not offer clear improvements over Shanny and Avery but could Darth Sather be stirring up a trade move much bigger than we might expect?

07-09-2007, 09:53 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I doubt there's any type of big trade in store. Something along the lines of moving a Hossa, maybe, but nothing big. We'll get everyone under contract and be fine, with or without a deal.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 10:02 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Shanny is coming back, guys. The team is just working on Henrik first, they are trying to finalize a contract -- I presume long term -- for him, once they finish his contract off, they will start working on Shanny/Avery/Hossa. Shanny doesn't want to go anywhere else but Manhattan. He will be a NY Ranger in October.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 10:20 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Taking Lundqvist to arbitration was the smart thing to do. Remember, Sather can sign him before the arbitration date - which i think is likely to happen.

It also protects the Rangers from any outside offer sheets sent Hanks way. Everyone knows the Rangers spent a good deal of cap space on what was a truly daft free agency period. They know the Rangers are short on space and it was a smart move by the Rangers announcing the arbitration.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 10:22 PM
Levitate

I doubt the Rangers are looking to do anything that will really blow up the team any more than they did already with the FA signings.

It's hard to keep a good team together if the turnover is really high each year. The Rangers have already replaced their #1 center (albiet, with someone who has a fairly similar game in some respects) and acquired a #2 center that they needed...that's two big changes right there that could result in chemistry problems, at least at first.

If they then try more big moves, it could end up causing more problems than it solves.

The Rangers have been a good team over the last two years. You want to build on that general structure of the team, not tear it all down and rebuild it every year.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 10:26 PM
FLYLine24*

I'll voice my opinion after the Lundqvist, Shanny, and Avery situations pan out. Anything less then those 3 getting signed will be a failure on his part.

I am leaving out Hossa in this, if he cannot be signed I won't call it a failure. SOMEONE is most likely going to be the odd man out...and even though I'm a big fan of him, I would understand.

Last edited by FLYLine24*: 07-09-2007 at 10:49 PM.
FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 10:31 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

No trades please....all sather needs to do is lock up henrik/shanny/avery/hossa....if he could fit this under the cap i would be estatic with our offseason...if we can get these guys back i think were good to go....we will then have 3 very deep lines....and IMO i think our D is very under-rated...think about how great its going to be having tyuts and girardi together for a whole season (barring health)....rozi and mara were solid all season long (and add an offensive element evey now and then)...and lets not forget staal

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 10:53 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
I'll voice my opinion after the Lundqvist, Shanny, and Avery situations pan out. Anything less then those 3 getting signed will be a failure on his part.

I am leaving out Hossa in this, if he cannot be signed I won't call it a failure. SOMEONE is most likely going to be the odd man out...and even though I'm a big fan of him, I would understand.
Exactly.

Those are the big three.

Hossa... bye-bye, if need be.

Shanny for one more year, Avery to make other teams hate to play us, and Henrik for... well, if you need to be told then you need not be here.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Pizza

I'm going to agree with Cycle here that while a little shocking and expensive, the dual signings of Gomez and Drury are a good move. As has been mentioned here often Nylander made a decision to reject Sather's deal thinking he would test other offers. The Rangers, as Jagr pointed out faced a situation where we might not have had a center for the top two lines. A very bad scenario in the making, and Sather made the right move and did not wait.

Now can these guys play together? Jagr has his doubts, but he's just being candid. He's disappointed about Nyls and he's always upfront. Maybe it's a CYA on his part. Gomez is a passer and Jagr is shooter. They are both good at what they do. I have confidence they'll figure it out together.

In any event we have two quality centers who bring a slew of good things: Youth(compared to Nyls), Leadership/Character(Now and in the future), Championship experience(can't overstress importance of this), Success on the PP, PK & Face offs. Compared to the doomsday scenario they were facing the Rangers did OK here. Even if they did pay a bit of a premium.

But Fly makes a good point also. Henke, Avery and Shanny all need to be signed. Hank especially. Sather needs to lock him up in 5-7 year range. Shanny can be the glue needed to hold the integration of Drury and Gomez together. There should be no serious problems; but if there is, Shanny is a very good guy to have around. I also feel Shanny can get inside Avery's head in a good way. I could be wrong but I think Avery respects Shanny in a special way. He will listen and learn from him.

The thing I think is interesting is that Souray has not signed with anyone yet. Why the heck is that? I have my theories, but lets see what happens.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2007, 11:56 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Still hasnt quite sunk in that Scott Gomez and Chris Drury are going to be NY Rangers next season. I am a glass half full kind of guy to begin with, but I am pretty excited by the signings.

I am admittedly disappointed that Nylander has to be gone but now that it's sunk in a little I'm more ok with it.

When he fired his agent I wasnt really worried but when I heard a deal was on the table and he wasnt signing it just reminded me of Ruccinsky the season before.

Sather made an offer and the player either refused or took his time with the answer and Sather went right ahead with exploring other deals and found something he thought was better. Deal is no more.

I like that sort of aggressive style. Work well with what you have but, as long as you can, keep the options open to improve your position etc.

We now will have to wait and see what chemistry these new lines will have, nobody knows for sure, but I do think the Gomez/Drury signings look real good for the Rangers franchise both during the Jagr era and after the Jagr era.

I don't believe Sathers taking any such hardballstance with Lundqvist. It's not like there are too many better options out there, but would he with Sean Avery? Shanahan?

You could argue that those roster spots "could" be filled with either more skilled or Younger players.

Free Agency does not offer clear improvements over Shanny and Avery but could Darth Sather be stirring up a trade move much bigger than we might expect?
We'll be ok. I think we overpaid Drury and Gomez by 500,000 each. That money ($1M) will be felt down the line somewhere.

I promise that I will not make a major trade ...

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 12:04 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post

I disagree with what I put in bold. I am not worried about chemistry problems at this point with Jagr. The guy is around 35 years of age, I think he's matured by now (finally). He wants to win a cup and I'm sure he understands that Sather moved on to sign other guys that weren't Nylander for good reason. Nylander wanted to play hardball with Sather and he lost out. Jagr knows this is a business and he wants the cup. Jagr had also been quoted as implying that he wanted Drury on the Rangers while they were playing buffalo in the playoffs. The only question is how will Gomez do with Jags because he will most likely be playing with him. However I dont think that will be an issue because once they hit the ice Jagr will see how great of a playmaker this guy is and he will be getting Jagr the puck with ease.

As for replacing Shanny and Avery, no sorry you cant. Sure there probably is a better scorer out there than Avery, but its not about that. Thats what you signed Drury and Gomez for. This team really is set up for the cup, but in order to win the cup you need to have the intangibles to go along with the talent. Avery would be someone who represents the intangibles because of his character and the way he plays the game. He picked apart Atlanta and was a main reason why they took that series from them. Same could be said for Cullen as being an intangible with his speed and defensive game along with being able to win faceoffs which is why I hate seeing him trade proposals as a way to clear cap space. You need him. And Shanny is a little bit of both the intangibles and talent. He can clearly score, but he is a veteran with irreplacable leadership skills who is a team guy and will even drop the gloves for his teammates (see Brashear, for defending Jagr).

You dont look to replace those kinda guys when your bidding for a cup and this year your definitely bidding for a cup, no ranger fan can say otherwise about this team right now and neither can management or the players. Re-sign avery and shanny.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 12:21 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
There is no replacing what Shannahan brings to this Club. I guarentee you, that he is the one that kept Avery's behind in line. I think Avery really does RESPECT Shannahan like some one said above.

What Avery brings to the table, cannot be found any where else in the league.

27 years old. Best agitator in the game.

His #'s since coming from LA have been great

With the Kings 55 Gp 10 goals
With the NYR 29 Gp 8 goals

With the Kings -10
With the NYR +11

His offensive production was a nice boost down the line. And I think people seriously under-estimate the skill that Sean Avery has. Hes worth every penny Under 3 mil per season.

Matt Cullen cannot be traded. He may not be the offensive prowess we were hoping for, but the guy has a heck of a shot. Hes extremely fast. And the third line of Prucha Cullen Callahan has more offense then most of the other third lines in the league. Cullen is essintial to the sucess of the Rangers next year.

Marek Malik is not. Idc about +- Any player who was constantly out with Jagr Nylander Straka on the ice will have a inflated +- . Also Im pretty sure for those of you who are going to say but yeah Rosival didnt have as high of a +- well Rosival also killed alot more penalties then the Bumbling Stumbling Marek Malik. I wouldnt be angry if he was here next season. However, If he was moved to make room for Souray or even Staal, we all would be happy.

Sather is a master negotiator. He got Drury and Gomez here whether it was at 7 mil or not, he paid market value and not much more. He got a great deal for Avery. Phenomenal deal for Paul Mara. Sather has done alot right in the last two years besides the Bozo disater.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 01:19 AM
ArtieAnisimov

I'm going to say yay for now. Sather actually has done alot of smart things, I give him credit for the Jagr trade and cutting a deal so we have him 50% off. With Jagr's full salary we don't get Drury and Gomez because we cant give them as much as we can now

ArtieAnisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 06:26 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:

What is your defintion of "signed"?Lundqvist and Avery will receive 1 year contracts with arbitration

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 07:26 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
What is your defintion of "signed"?Lundqvist and Avery will receive 1 year contracts with arbitration
They'll receive those deals at the minimum. I think most of us here (and many NHL "insiders") believe that at least Henrik will be signed long-term prior to his arbitration hearing.

Old
07-10-2007, 07:28 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
I disagree with what I put in bold. I am not worried about chemistry problems at this point with Jagr. The guy is around 35 years of age, I think he's matured by now (finally). He wants to win a cup and I'm sure he understands that Sather moved on to sign other guys that weren't Nylander for good reason. Nylander wanted to play hardball with Sather and he lost out. Jagr knows this is a business and he wants the cup. Jagr had also been quoted as implying that he wanted Drury on the Rangers while they were playing buffalo in the playoffs. The only question is how will Gomez do with Jags because he will most likely be playing with him. However I dont think that will be an issue because once they hit the ice Jagr will see how great of a playmaker this guy is and he will be getting Jagr the puck with ease.
Well chemistry doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Jagr being mature or not. I think you hit on it in your last two sentences; will their games mesh? I think they will just fine, but that's the definition of chemistry, and we just won't know what we have until we see it on the ice.

Old
07-10-2007, 07:31 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Well chemistry doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Jagr being mature or not. I think you hit on it in your last two sentences; will their games mesh? I think they will just fine, but that's the definition of chemistry, and we just won't know what we have until we see it on the ice.
I'm thinking we might see some problems initially.

Gomez is a much stronger personality than Nylander and may not take to the "give the puck to Jagr" power play gameplan as much as we hope.

Pure, speculation of course... but I anticipate some friction, at least initially.

PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Pizza

Three left to go and I'm thinking Slats will make it happen.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 08:02 PM
shoothepuck

You have to say yay to Sather so far. A big yay when Lundqvist and Avery get signed. NY needed 1 legit center, and he got 2. Nylander priced and termed himself off the team, and if you look at this roster now, could anyone pre-lockout predict the names that are on it now.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 08:58 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

If he can complete it all with Avery and Lundqvist, I think the Rangers have done the best preseason signings this year. Good job signing Gomez AND Drury.

TheDaysOf 04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 09:33 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Big Yay for Glen today. Finding a loophole to push 1/2 of Shannys cap back off this years books.

clever and legal

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Edge

Quote:

That's really how I view it.

Though I also must admit I am not sold on this defense being enough as it is.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 09:48 PM
chip chipperson*

there is still time for sather to make a stupid trade. out of no where last year he traded dominic moore a good 3rd line center for us that year and our second best penalty killer.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Janerixon

I have no problem with sather's moves thus far

i would have liked to have seen ortmeyer and nylander back, but nylander wanted to test UFA, and sather made other moves

my problem with the loss of ortmeyer is only that he was an excellent penalty killer, we all knew he wasnt coming back because he is a one way player and provides no offense

that being said, i really want them to bring hossa back because he can score goals if played with proper players, he adds size, and he can kill penalties

so far we have
betts, cullen, shanny, straka, avery, and Hossa to kill penalties... i guess we can add drury to that, but i like having a team that has 6-7 players that can kill penalties

lets take care of lundqvist, then avery, and than hossa and i will be a very happy camper about the off season

weekes is gone, as is ozo, rachunek played well at the end, but we had to make room for staal and once pock was signed i saw that coming, and i expressed my opinions on orts and nylander, but drury and gomez more than make up for that

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Edge

This offseason is exactly why I loathe a hard cap.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote