HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Interview with Alexei Cherepanov - Translated

Old
07-10-2007, 01:34 AM
RussianProspects

vCash: 500

http://www.russianprospects.com/publ...article_id=515

Our website is monetized by Google AdSense.

If you enjoyed reading the interiew, please support RP. It would really help support my efforts to provide the content and help us keep the site running. Thanks in advance for your support!

Last edited by RussianProspects: 07-10-2007 at 09:49 PM.
RussianProspects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 01:47 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Thanks for posting. Good interview, I really like the kid's makeup.

By the way can someone translate this from metric? I have to say this worries me a bit

Quote:
Another one of your acquisitions is a BMW 530. How fast have you had a chance to drive that car?
A. Cherepanov: On the highway outside the city, I have been able to take it up to 230km/h. Maybe I could have gone even faster, but it was a bit scary. But in the city I drive only about 40km/h.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 02:41 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Thanks for posting. Good interview, I really like the kid's makeup.

By the way can someone translate this from metric? I have to say this worries me a bit
~143mph

insane, the fastest ive ever driven in my car is 100mph and i didnt feel like i was driving the car as much as a spectator behind the wheel.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 02:57 AM
Geogaddi

Thanks for the Read. Cant wait to see what he does this season in Omsk.

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 03:44 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
~143mph

insane, the fastest ive ever driven in my car is 100mph and i didnt feel like i was driving the car as much as a spectator behind the wheel.
Ive gotten up to 145 before myself... highest Ive been.. it -is- insane.

/ex car enthusiast.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 04:21 AM
Sockosensei

He and Jagr will be fast friends

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 06:10 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Isnt Selanne the one notorious for being a car psycho?

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 06:21 AM
hdw

Quote:
During the awards ceremony, were you dreaming that “some day it will be me too”?
A. Cherepanov: Of course. But now I am thinking – why simply dream when you can set tangible goals?
Nice, either he's wiser than his years or he's had a good media training

Winning the Goblet of Stanley is everyones dream, but there are some goals on the way that must be achieved first.

Like getting a contract and getting a spot on the bench.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 07:29 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
Nice, either he's wiser than his years or he's had a good media training

Winning the Goblet of Stanley is everyones dream, but there are some goals on the way that must be achieved first.

Like getting a contract and getting a spot on the bench.
The "Goblet of Stanley"- as evidenced by my sig- is something I will never forget. That translation was absolutely hilarious.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 08:09 AM
Levitate

I'm a little bit worried about how he calls the talk of him coming over next year rumors that he didn't start.

I doubt he'll end up being a problem to get over to the US, but if he plays out his contract, that might be a bit annoying after we were all led to believe he'd be coming to the Rangers next year.

Then again, he could be playing it safe at the moment and watching what he says.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 08:16 AM
Mirinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Thanks for the Read. Cant wait to see what he does this season in Omsk.
But in some other interview, he said he keeped an eye out for Jagr when he played in Omsk

And when Jagr played in Omsk, he was excellent!

Mirinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 08:31 AM
92hatchattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
Ive gotten up to 145 before myself... highest Ive been.. it -is- insane.

/ex car enthusiast.
speed kills, ive hit 158 myself..... got kids now, never again.

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 08:54 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...shirtbulletin/

Quote:
Alexei Cherepanov told everyone after he was drafted in the first round by the Rangers that he will come over to North America after next season. But in an interview at Russian Hockey Prospects, Cherepanov said he plans to honor his two-year deal with Avangard Omsk.
Looks like hes gonna stay. At least for now.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 09:06 AM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...shirtbulletin/

Looks like hes gonna stay. At least for now.
Which doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Letting young non-NA prospects getting their feet properly wet in their home environment can mean a lot of good things.

He's had a really good rookie year in RSL, but as they state in the interview, next year will not be the same. This time people are aware of him, this year he'll have to deal with a lot more pressure and expectations.

Just as it would if he ventured across the ocean.
But getting that experience at home might mean a lot for a young player in terms of maturity and self confidence.

Compare with Caps' Nicklas Bäckström.
They wanted him over directly after the draft, after he'd done a similar rookie year in SEL.
But he and his advisors decided that he needed one full year in SEL as a star player, learning to deal with the pressure (and the media) before jumping the pond.

And I think that Caps will get a much more stable and mature player this year, than they would have if he'd come over last year.

And I think that the same can/will/might be true for Cherepanov.

Old
07-10-2007, 09:11 AM
Levitate

I think it's good that he's going back for this year, but to be honest, the longer he stays in Russia, the more nervous I become. I don't think there's much of anything that will keep him from ever coming over, but things could get difficult.

I think if he has a very good year in the RSL, he'll end up wanting to come over and the Rangers will be pushing for it.

If he doesn't do so well, he'll probably want to stay and prove himself (and the Rangers will still be pushing for him to come over so they can control his development)

Old
07-10-2007, 09:11 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
i guess this kid is set on playing in Russia- so much for the Rangers trying to bring him over

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Levitate

Wasn't going to happen this year anyways, no matter what vague reports were floating around of them trying to get him to stay for this year

Old
07-10-2007, 09:42 AM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I think it's good that he's going back for this year, but to be honest, the longer he stays in Russia, the more nervous I become. I don't think there's much of anything that will keep him from ever coming over, but things could get difficult.

I think if he has a very good year in the RSL, he'll end up wanting to come over and the Rangers will be pushing for it.

If he doesn't do so well, he'll probably want to stay and prove himself (and the Rangers will still be pushing for him to come over so they can control his development)
There's always the issue of how good is good enough?

I don't think that young players think so much of proving themself as developing as players.

And there'll always be the discussion about where and how a player develops the best. At home in familiar surroundings or across the pond where the team can decide on everything.

I don't know how well the RSL team's mgmt's see eye-to-eye with their NHL counterparts but I know SEL and NHL teams often agree on common ideas on how to deal with a certain player.

Including that the NHL team sign the player and then lends him back to his euro team, with an agreement on what is supposed to do the next season (roles, minutes, handed to lower tiers for more minutes and so on).

Moving a young player to a new country, a new language, a new system just to get him completely under your thumb might not always be the best way to get the most from your pick.

However, I agree that it's nervous to have a promising pick and not knowing what will happen.

Old
07-10-2007, 09:45 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I'm a little bit worried about how he calls the talk of him coming over next year rumors that he didn't start.

I doubt he'll end up being a problem to get over to the US, but if he plays out his contract, that might be a bit annoying after we were all led to believe he'd be coming to the Rangers next year.

Then again, he could be playing it safe at the moment and watching what he says.
That's how I see it. He's saying things to appease both sides. Smart move on his part.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 09:52 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Yeah, hes not gonna ruffle any feathers, when hes here he appeases the Rangers, when hes there he appeases Omsk.

Let the chips fall where they may. This is smart.

If he feels hes proved everything after this season and hes ready to take the trip over then im sure he'll find a way to make it happen.

Even if hes there for 2 years hell only be 19 when the contract is up. Not the end of the world.

Now if he signs another contract with them, THATS something to be worried about.

But all this uncertainty is part of the reason why he dropped to 17 so you'll have to deal with it.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Muscle Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw
Winning the Goblet of Stanley
Yeeeeah, Goblet of Stanley

Muscle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 09:57 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
I honestly don't mind if he stays there for 2 years. It wouldn't bother me that much.

I'd LIKE him over after this year, but if it doesn't happen, then it's certainly not the worst thing that could happen.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 09:58 AM
Muscle Bob

By the way, I've just realized that in upcoming season there will be some competition between Kulemin and Cherepanov, as they both supposed to go the NHL in 1 year.

Muscle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
Moving a young player to a new country, a new language, a new system just to get him completely under your thumb might not always be the best way to get the most from your pick.
Well, he does have to get used to the country and language and system at some point, if he wants to play in the NHL. But those are big reasons why it's probably good that he's not coming over this year.

I don't know if he'll take some english lessons this year, but even so, another year of maturity can only help when it comes to dealing with a big culture shift.

Old
07-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Pizza

Two years is fine. His body looks a bit skinny and he needs to add some weight. I'd rather he mature a little anyway. I'm glad he's so mature emotionally. He'll need it given the potential for politics in this situation.

Send someone over there with a governor and stick it under the hood of his car. 140 mph is too damn fast. Anything goes wrong at that speed: a rock, blown tire, etc., it's lights out.

Fastest I've ever been was about 120-130 in an old 'Cuda. Made it from Amityville to the Hamptons in about 40 mins.....with a bunch of surfboards strapped to the roof.
It was wild good fun, but I'd never do that again in a million years.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote