HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official: Shanahan Re-signs

Old
07-13-2007, 12:37 PM
darrenturcotte#8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heske_44 View Post
I jumped in late on this one.

This is a great signing....if anyone feels otherwise let me know.

I'll be very disappointed if I decide to go through some posts and see posters...

1) Say he isn't worth 2.5
2) Say Prucha should *yawn* develop with (Insert Top 6 Player here)
3) Say Dawes deserves/needs a spot
4) Say that Shanny isn't capable of guaranteed 60-70pts

That is all for now! You guys need a D-man or two and your team is looking very sexy.
1) He isn't worth $5.3 which will be the cap hit, not $2.5
2) He isn't guaranteed 60-70 points AT ALL. In fact, I would go as far as to say I'll give you even money he doesn't get 65 points. Even with Renney over playing him. You guys have a short memory. He was AWFUL and SLOW in the playoffs. He's now a year older and he won't get the boost he got last year from being in a new city that was pumped to have him. I hope I'm wrong...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 01:11 PM
zestystrat

He was slow, but I think it's safe to say that this season he won't be asked to do as much as he did last season.

We have somewhat of a different roster now and that will make a big difference.

Also do you really think that with Gomez or Drury dishing to him, he won't put up more points?

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 01:15 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
2) He isn't guaranteed 60-70 points AT ALL. In fact, I would go as far as to say I'll give you even money he doesn't get 65 points. Even with Renney over playing him. You guys have a short memory. He was AWFUL and SLOW in the playoffs. He's now a year older and he won't get the boost he got last year from being in a new city that was pumped to have him. I hope I'm wrong...
It's hard to say he was awful in the playoffs when he had as many goals as Jagr did (playing Avery as his center). He also scored some pretty big goals. You can have concerns about his play this year and you can be disappointed that he was resigned but don't rewrite history. He was by no means awful in the playoffs.

07-13-2007, 01:40 PM
Heske_44

Quote:

Really? My mistake on number one then...I thought the bonuses didn't count unless he received them or something. Thanks for clarifying.

As for 60-70 I'll take that bet. How much we wagering?

I'm more about the positive energy but with Drury or Gomez lurking I forsee 60pts as a guarantee.

Heske_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 03:18 PM
darrenturcotte#8

The bet is 65 points... he might get to 60 with all the PP time.

In terms of the playoffs, yes he scored a few big goals. But you are rewriting history if you claim the goals he scored were any good. i recall him fanning on shots and watching them barely get in. More importantly, i recall him not being able to keep up with the speed and looking mostly invisible minus a few big goals that were right place, right time. Shanny will get those goals when hes 60 bc he will find space and read the play. Maybe he was hurt or beaten up from a long season, but if hes skating day one they way he finished the season, its going to be painful to watch.

Old
07-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
1. If we come up to the top of the cap, a big chunk of the contract goes into next year. What numbers go into next year depends on how the playoffs go.
2. And maybe he doesn't score a ton of points. Maybe he only scored 25 goals and 55 points but I like his odds on a line with Avery and Gomez/Drury. I also like what he brings to the table outside of scoring. If he were just a one dimmensional scorer I'd be a little more concerned but Shanahan has always been about more than number. The Rangers have some pretty darn good depth at forward right now and Shanahan's biggest impact on this team might not be how many goal he scores but rather when he scores them and what he brings to his teammates.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
The bet is 65 points... he might get to 60 with all the PP time.

In terms of the playoffs, yes he scored a few big goals. But you are rewriting history if you claim the goals he scored were any good. i recall him fanning on shots and watching them barely get in. More importantly, i recall him not being able to keep up with the speed and looking mostly invisible minus a few big goals that were right place, right time. Shanny will get those goals when hes 60 bc he will find space and read the play. Maybe he was hurt or beaten up from a long season, but if hes skating day one they way he finished the season, its going to be painful to watch.
I think you're overthinking this big time.

Old
07-13-2007, 07:56 PM
Fletch

$5.3mm...

no matter how you cut it is a bit much. I don't dislike the signing, but I would've thought he could've been had for less. If a portion is deferred to next season, and Shanny retires, then you are taking a cap hit for a player who is not playing. Sather seems to be going for it this season, or at least giving himself the flexibility to go for it this season.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 10:46 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

I have no problem if it comes out of next season because as of right now you have several contracts coming off the books.

You have at least $2.5m from Shanny, you also have Kaspar's, Malik's, Mara's and possibly others.

With two centers signed, the next big contract is going to Lundqvist but I don't they have a problem taking a hit next season. They may look to sign a defenseman, maybe a winger but in terms of a huge free agent splash and hit, this was the season.

Old
07-13-2007, 11:33 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I have no problem if it comes out of next season because as of right now you have several contracts coming off the books.

You have at least $2.5m from Shanny, you also have Kaspar's, Malik's, Mara's and possibly others.

With two centers signed, the next big contract is going to Lundqvist but I don't they have a problem taking a hit next season. They may look to sign a defenseman, maybe a winger but in terms of a huge free agent splash and hit, this was the season.
I understand that part of his cap hit will be next year and that several contracts will come off the books. However, those players need to be replaced and the last thing this team needs is to pay for a guy who isn't on the team...

Old
07-13-2007, 11:48 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Let's not kid ourselves, we weren't getting a premier defenseman to shore up anything with Shanahan's money, not in this market. If you think Shanny's contract was huge than you'd probably be surprised to see what money he could've had out there.

Technically the Rangers could go over the cap by nearly $3-million if they want to make move and it'll come off the top next season, so they do have the room to make a move if they desire. At the end of the day even if Shanahan is "only" a 25-goal, 55 point player who provides veteran leadership, key experience and toughness you still don't have anyone else on this team who brings that dimension. Avery probably comes the closest but he's more of a pest and I don't think I'd call him an experienced leader at this point either.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we shouldn't have signed him, just was hoping that he would have provided a discount for his last kick at the can for a shot at the cup.

As for the Defenceman, who knows who or what will be made available later in the year, the fact that we may not be able to make that move is what concerns me.

But I am putting the cart before the horse.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
I understand that part of his cap hit will be next year and that several contracts will come off the books. However, those players need to be replaced and the last thing this team needs is to pay for a guy who isn't on the team...
Depends on what he brings to the team this year. Heck we're already paying Kasparitis this season for something he hasn't brought to the team in years. His contract is off the books after this season and is replaced by Shanahan who actually would bring something to the table. If we don't do anything in the payoffs we obviously pay less, but if we do I'm perfectly willing to pay that out of next year's cap where we should have more flexibility than we're going to need.

Old
07-14-2007, 06:44 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we shouldn't have signed him, just was hoping that he would have provided a discount for his last kick at the can for a shot at the cup.

As for the Defenceman, who knows who or what will be made available later in the year, the fact that we may not be able to make that move is what concerns me.

But I am putting the cart before the horse.
Problem is that there are a lot of if's in that sentence and I don't think we'd have the money to take on a huge contract even without Shanahan. That's really the core of my belief:

A legit upgrade on defense is almost certainly to be out of the Rangers budget anyway, a moderate one is a moot point without Shanny filling the holes he does.

Old
07-14-2007, 07:10 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Problem is that there are a lot of if's in that sentence and I don't think we'd have the money to take on a huge contract even without Shanahan. That's really the core of my belief:

A legit upgrade on defense is almost certainly to be out of the Rangers budget anyway, a moderate one is a moot point without Shanny filling the holes he does.
Problem is if a #1 defensemen has 1.5 or 2.5 million remaining on his contract at the trade deadline the Rangers hands are tied this year and perhaps next year...

This isn't about right now it's about the course of a season...both this year and next...

But the Rangers need captain shanny and his intangibles to lead them.....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 07:58 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
First of all he signed for $2.5 the rest is all bonuses that the Rangers can push into next year's cap.

Secondly you're not getting anyone on that level, 38 or not, for that contract. Period end of sentence.

Thirdly, anyone expecting Hossa to come in replace that scoring is dreaming.

Fourth, if he didn't want to play for the Rangers there were PLENTY of places who were going to give him a lot more money including but not limited to Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton, New Jersey, St. Louis, The Islanders and Chicago and quite a few others.

Take away the first two months of the season and you have a guy who fought Donald Brashear, played a key role in the playoffs, dove to block shots, took a heck of a lot of pressure of Jagr (for which Jagr was extremely happy) and did so without anything close to the center and linemates he'll have this season.

This is hardly a pedastal signing, we know exactly what Shanahan brought to the table last year and he proved it on more than the score sheet. Don't exactly know what key signings or trades you think this team is going to make with Gomez making Thornton like money and Lundqvist making more than Miller, Ward and other similarly aged goaltenders.

I'd love to sign a 25 year old version of Shanahan or a defenseman who upgrades out blue line but with a cap I think there's more hopeful speculation than fact surrounding who we could've would've brought in.

Last year I argued with people who tried to convine me than Shanahan was going to be lucky to score 20 goals and was a waste. This year we have more of the same but the fact is that Shanahan, even at 38, brings a combination this team lacks.

Getting angry over his contract is misplaced. If we want to do down the "What if" scenario than we have to ask about not getting Nylander locked up, not drafting a good young center and thus having to sign two, signing Kasparitis to a horrible contract, building a team around a 35 year-old with a shorter window of opportunity, having such large dollar amounts tied into such a mediocre group of defenseman, etc.

Heck you could make a very good argument that if you're ideally 3 big free agent signings away from being a cup contender than you really weren't a cup contender to begin with.

Needless to say, Shanahan's contract is not going to be on the radar for challanges this team needs to overcome or things that are going to hold this team back.
Nice summation.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 08:09 PM
Fletch

Edge..

personally I don't care about what comes off the books next year - paying for someone that's not playing is paying for someone who's not playing no matter how you look at it. It's borrowing today for tomorrow. It will be an opportunity they cannot capitalize on next season.

Old
07-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Fletch

Further to the point...

the Rangers signed a 37 year old coming off a 40 goal/81 point/82 game season to a $4MM contract. Now they've signed a 38 year old coming off a 29 goal/62 point/67 game season to what could be a $5.3MM contract. Unless he gets that extra money for 40 goals, which isn't the case, I can potentially see why the contract is that valuable. And to top it off - he wanted to stay in NY.

Now I'm a big Shanny fan, but I'm not sure I understand the logic in that contract. Down production, less games, fatigued and more than 25% more money. Obviously there's something I'm missing, but that all don't make a heck of a lotta sense to me.

Old
07-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Fletch

Edge....

I should clarify that I'm not upset with the Shanny signing, but I question the amount based on some certain facts. That's my only issue. It's not a big issue, but it's an issue, and as stated I'm not a big borrower of time.

Old
07-14-2007, 08:50 PM
Jim Ramsay

I think one important thing that Shanny is going to bring to the team is his 'glue' factor. I think he is going to become more of a captain in the fact that he is going to keep the ego's of the top 6 guys intact. I remember reading several instances of him being vocal in the locker rooms before and after games last season. This might be a factor that is going to be crucial for the rangers this year.

Jim Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote