HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Developing a hunch from hockey

Old
08-02-2007, 08:05 PM
TaiMaiShu
back to square one

vCash: 50
Developing a hunch from hockey

I've played hockey now for many years and I have noticed that I hunch when I'm walking. What's the best way to correct this? Working out back muscles?

TaiMaiShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Brandinho

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiMaiShu View Post
I've played hockey now for many years and I have noticed that I hunch when I'm walking. What's the best way to correct this? Working out back muscles?
You probably have poor skating form. Bend at the knees, not the back.

Brandinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 10:02 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Yeah bend your knee's more and not your back, i had this problem a while ago, but i fixed my skating style and no more problems.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 10:10 PM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Like those above have said, bend your knees a little bit more as opposed to being hunched over. I'm about 6'0" and I actually have my sticks cut shorter so not only do I have to bend my knees, but I force myself to hunch over a bit so I'm not skating straight up.

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 04:15 AM
Phoenix

One year I was constantly having lectures in this room where all the seats were fixed too far back from the benches...so i hunched - got a really sore back from it. I had to force myself to sit with my back straight, which was really hard in the beginning, but time sorted it out. Mentally you just have to remind yourself. And when walking, do the army shoulders thing.

And as the others say, skate with a straight back (which I myself am trying to do more often as well cos I think in a lot of cases I forget and lunge and bend for the puck).

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 06:01 AM
Lyons71

Yup, like when I got a motorcyle and after a while my back hurt. It just takes a few weeks of concentrating on having good posture and eventually it will become automatic. I always had good skating form though, so I can't sympathize with you on that one...

Lyons71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 08:14 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiMaiShu View Post
Guys, he's not talking about his stance.

Work those abs. You're hunch is probably due to weak core muscles. Stretching can also work, and I don't mean stretching before you play. I mean stretching on a regular basis as a way to strengthen muscles. There are tons of easy exercises you can do to strengthen your core that can be done at home on the floor while watching TV.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 08:45 AM
MacBeatsPang

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post

Work those abs. You're hunch is probably due to weak core muscles. Stretching can also work, and I don't mean stretching before you play. I mean stretching on a regular basis as a way to strengthen muscles. There are tons of easy exercises you can do to strengthen your core that can be done at home on the floor while watching TV.
any links to any of those core stretches? i've been having some tightness/cramping in the low abs lately -- a common problem for hockey players, from what i've read -- and could use some good stretches.

MacBeatsPang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 09:48 AM
TaiMaiShu
back to square one

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post

Thanks a lot! I just found this article that I can use: http://exercise.about.com/cs/abs/a/coreandposture_2.htm

TaiMaiShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 12:44 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBeatsPang View Post
any links to any of those core stretches? i've been having some tightness/cramping in the low abs lately -- a common problem for hockey players, from what i've read -- and could use some good stretches.
You might want to stretch your hip flexors too. Which can be confused with lower ab and groin problems.

Google up stretching your abs. I don't have links on hand and the stuff I do would take forever to explain. Plus, I wouldn't want to explain it wrong and have you hurt yourself.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote