HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

The CBJ Board Sports Thread (All OSU, MLB, NFL, NBA, Soccer, etc. talk in here)

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Byrral

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Yep, I was a big Wings fan pretty much through the 80's and into the 90's, but kind of lost interest after they won the Cup for Vladdy. Too many idiots on the that expected to win year after year. And while the team was good, I was tired of the constant Goalie bashing that is the #1 past time of Detroit fans.
hahahaha. In the 70's in Detroit I was pretty much an outcast for being a Red Wing fan. I remember starting a job in '78 and my co-workers/friends blasted me because I was a fan. I still give them crap about it When they built the Joe and moved from Olympia Stadium they couldn't get 5,000 people at games and Illich gave away a car at the games. The team finally got better again, won a couple of cups and now everyone is and ALWAYS has been a Wings fan

Bandwagon indeed.

Edit: This will be the same here in Columbus when the team gets better. I have ALWAYS been a Jackets fan. All of us here will know the truth.

Old
07-11-2007, 11:01 AM
MFRONE

College - Ohio Bobcats and Ohio State Buckeyes
NFL - San Francisco 49ers and Cincinnati Bengals
NBA - Cleveland Cavs
MLB - Cleveland Indians
NHL - Blue Jackets
MLS - Columbus Crew

Old
07-11-2007, 11:08 AM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

NHL: CBJ uber alles
NBA: Lakers
MLB: Dodgers and Anyone playing the Yankees.
NFL: Raiders
Soccer: Arsenal (Come back, Henry, come back )

Old
07-11-2007, 11:16 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

CBJ (Sabres in the pre-CBJ day)
Buckeye and Bobcat football/basketball
Buffalo Bills
New York Mets
Golden State Warriors - dating back to Run TMC

Generally a glutton for sports punishment.

Old
07-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Happy Pony

In no particular order..

CBJ, used to be penguins
STEELERS
Pirates
Buckeyes
Cavs
Jim Furyk is my favorite golfer

Old
07-11-2007, 11:57 AM
RickS

NHL-Jackets-didn't follow hockey until we got a team, so I didn't have to switch
NFL-Steelers
MLB-Pirates
College football - Buckeyes and Bobcats
College basketball-Buckeyes and UCLA
NBA-Used to love the Celtics, but lately, have had a hard time caring about pro ball

Old
07-11-2007, 11:59 AM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
You're such a Renaissance person.

As for me? In addition to being the last remaining tennis fan in the U.S... Anyway, after hockey, it prety much starts here
I hate you so much.

Old
07-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
I hate you so much.

Last edited by Double-Shift Lassť: 09-11-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old
07-11-2007, 12:18 PM
Ar-too

5 Super Bowl wins is nice, I'll give you that. It would be nicer if at least one of them wasn't tainted by shady officiating or steiroids though.

Old
07-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
5 Super Bowl wins is nice, I'll give you that. It would be nicer if at least one of them wasn't tainted by shady officiating or steiroids though.

Last edited by Double-Shift Lassť: 09-11-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old
07-11-2007, 03:02 PM
bluejacket74

NHL - CBJ
MLB - Reds
NFL - Bengals
NBA - Cavs
NCAA - Ohio Bobcats, Ohio State Buckeyes
MLS - Crew

Old
07-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Ar-too

Here we go...

NFL: Bengals
MLB: Reds
NHL: CBJ
NBA: Whoever Allen Iverson plays for.
Golf: Tiger, but only if he's playing, otherwise, I don't care
NCAA Football: About to be none due to this Big Ten Network garbage
NCAA Basketball: Ditto
UEFA Champions League: All EPL teams except Chelsea
EPL: Fulham
International Football: England, Ireland, USA, all African teams
MLS: Crew
Cricket: England
Eating: Kobayashi
Spelling: The exceptionally nerdy - even for a spelling bee - kid who looks 5 years younger than everyone else. There's always one of these.
Racing: Tony Stewart - only if he's racing twice in one day, otherwise it's not a sport
AFL: Destroyers
Bowling: The fat guy - there's always at least one.
Boxing: Bernard Hopkins - because I'm afraid he'd find me and kill me if I put someone else.
UFC: Boring - seriously, I can't get into this. It just seems like people are hoping someone really gets hurt.

Old
07-11-2007, 03:51 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I went back and worked for them in 97, the year of their World Series appearance, and it was enjoyable, but sometimes when you're behind the scenes, making the magic, the magic doesn't work on you
Did you work with Bobby D and Suzy Guiliani (I think that's her married name. Her maiden name escapes me, at the moment)? Good folks! I did some work with them back in the '80s, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFan in Cincy View Post
I will be attending the Men's tennis in Cincinnati in August. Probably one of the most underrated events in Cincinnati. My company has nice tickets 4 rows up from the court and right where the players enter and usually get to go 2-3 times during the week. I've seen all the big names in the last few years and attended the final last year with Roddick winning. The best was when Mandy Moore was sitting across the aisle from me while she was dating Roddick.

You're right, Cincy, that's a great event; though I haven't been down there in quite a few years! Just getting there early and watching practice on the outside courts is great fun. They all hit the ball a ton! We watched a very competitive doubles match from about five yards away and were awed by the athleticism and entertainment level. Seems to me we saw Yannick Noah win on the main court. Now, his son is a rookie in the NBA! Time does fly!

Old
07-11-2007, 04:12 PM
falcor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPS 61* View Post
NFL- Go Rams and Lions

MLB- Go Reds and Tigers

NBA- Go Pistons

College Football+Basketball- Go Vols

College Hockey- GO BUUUUUUUUUCKEYES!

Kitna was a top 10 QB last year, thank you very much

and I think the whole "and not to jail" is already out of reach.

TPS- 1 falcor- 0
dood, i watched kitna ruin both the seahawks(my 2nd favorite team) and the bengals. i KNOW that he sucks and so does an entire stadium of fans. but keep trying to smack me down if it makes you feel any better.

(and just to elaborate~he's too short to see over the linesmen. he sucks at the long ball. he makes horrible decisions passing under pressure. etc. but kitna's a fun name.. lot's of variations of it come out when you are mad at him)

Last edited by falcor: 07-11-2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old
07-11-2007, 06:58 PM
CBJ

So I don't post a lot but this seems fun...

Do I have to list my fav hockey team? Dur.

College: THE Ohio State University
MLB: Tribe
NFL: The Browns. 'Nuff said. (although the fact that I have to root for B Quinn makes my stomach churn a little bit)
UFC: Forest Griffin
NBA: Don't really care but after growing up in Cleveland I'm seroiusly happy for the success of the Cavs and the King

Old
07-11-2007, 08:51 PM
BZArcher

NHL: Jackets in the West, Leafs in the East.
College: OSU
Football: Liverpool
Baseball: Clippers

Old
07-11-2007, 11:54 PM
3 goals = chili

Send a message via Skype™ to 3 goals = chili
Hockey - CBJ
College - The Ohio State University...i've paid them so much money i dont know if i'm a donor or a student
Baseball - The Sawx
Basketball - Cavs
Football - Here We Go Brownies Here We Go
Football/Soccer - NUFC, The Crew

i have this strange desire to watch teams that i know can be so much better but still can't get over that hump

Old
07-12-2007, 11:53 AM
evengodlovesthecbj

Hockey- CBJ, former Pens fan
College FBALL & BBALL -Buckeyes
NFL- E A G L E S -EAGLES!
Indy Racing- Dario Franchitti
NBA- Celtics but don't really follow them anymore
MLB- Twins
Golfer- Lefty

Old
07-12-2007, 12:37 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Favorite Non-Hockey Sports Moment

So now that we have most of the formalities out of the way in regards to other sports and teams we like, I think it would be cool for all of us to share our favorite sports story that doesn't involve hockey. It can be anything; a game you went to, meeting a sports celebrity, etc. Allow me to start.

I sold tickets to Crew games when they played at Ohio Stadium. I worked opening day and was selling in one of the booths at the closed end of the Shoe. It was getting pretty close to game time when an elderly gentleman in a very nice suit walked into the ticket booth. He asked the other person selling tickets and I how we were doing. Since I was running a little short on singles, I told him I needed some ones. He reached into his pocket, pulled out a wad of bills that would make most drug dealers jealous, counted out 10 $1 bills, wrote something on a piece of paper, and handed both the money and the paper to me. He did the same for the other ticket seller and then left. After he left, I looked at the paper. It was an IOU that said "The Crew owes Lamar Hunt $10" and it as signed by Mr. Hunt. I was freaking out. I couldn't believe that the owner of the team would 1) come to the ticket office to see how the people selling the tickets were doing or 2) give us some singles so we could make it through the next half hour or so. It was simply awesome.

Old
07-12-2007, 12:42 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
You're right, Cincy, that's a great event; though I haven't been down there in quite a few years! Just getting there early and watching practice on the outside courts is great fun. They all hit the ball a ton! We watched a very competitive doubles match from about five yards away and were awed by the athleticism and entertainment level. Seems to me we saw Yannick Noah win on the main court. Now, his son is a rookie in the NBA! Time does fly!
Last time I was down there I think I saw Michael Chang. Still, pete, you've got a few years on me.

Old
07-12-2007, 01:08 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

I think I shared this story before, but I like it, so anyone who recognizes it is going to have to sit through it again.

Probably about 10-12 years ago some friends and I went to watch the semi-finals of the Worthington Summer League. This was probably close to the league’s peak. All sorts of ex-OSU players were playing - Jimmy Jackson, Mark Baker, Chris Jent. I think Lawrence Funderburke was still on OSU at the time, but he was there. Nick Van Exel was playing. Samaki Walker, Gary Trent and some other Central Ohio guys who went on to the NBA were there as well.

It was between games. Jimmy Jackson’s team won the first game.
We’re wondering around the concession area, when the locker room door opens. Jimmy strolls out and just gets mobbed by autograph hounds. The night before, he signed his shoes and gave them to a kid.
Anyway, other than being afraid to approach Yogi Berra at Clippers game in my youth, this was the closest I’d ever been to a well-known athlete. I wasn’t/couldn’t fight through the crowd and I had nothing for him to autograph, so that was out, but still I felt the need to do something.
He’s about 10 feet away from me when the lightbulb goes off.
I look up and shout, “Hey Jimmy! Want some nachos?”
The people around him immediately get quiet.
He looks right at me.
I hold my plastic tray of nachos aloft
We locked eyes and though he said nothing, the look on his face and his furrowed brow clearly said it all, “Did that kid just offer me nachos?”
He smiled and went back to his autographs.

So, if you're ever doing one of those people scavenger hunt things and the question comes up -- Do you know anyone who offered Jimmy Jackson nachos? You can answer yes, yes I do.

Old
07-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Byrral

When I kid growing up in Detroit I played CYO basketball in the 6th-8th grade. My coach was a summer league instructor with the Detroit Pistons. When I was invited to a Milwaukee Bucks/Pistons game with a neighbor of mine I happened to run into my coach. He took me into the Pistons locker room where I met Bob Lanier, Dave Bing, a few others Pistons and Lew Alcindor (nka: Kareem Abdul Jabbar) and Oscar Robertson of the Bucks.

Old
07-12-2007, 02:31 PM
cbjfan

NHL - Jackets, of course
College - Penn State and Duke
NFL - Eagles
MLB - Phillies (but I honestly do not care much about baseball anymore)
NBA - could care less
High School - Olentangy Liberty
Soccer - Crew (just bought my 3 Pack including the Beckham game...very cheap...$36/seat for 3 games)

Old
07-12-2007, 02:38 PM
jagpanzer

I worked at Cleveland Municipal Stadium from the time I was 15 until I was 23 or so. I would often go up into the bleachers and stand on the ramp and watch the game as the warehouse where I worked was right there.

I was watching the Tribe play Texas and a long fly ball came into the outfield. I saw a glove go up in the air to catch it and then next thing I know I see the ball bounce up from below the wall and go over!

It was the homerun that went off of Jose Canseco's head. Truly a funny moment. Sadly, no video of it I've ever seen is panned up high enough to see me standing there to watch.

And to boot I think some usher ran up quickly and grabbed the ball as the bleachers were closed that day, so no crowd was out there.

I also almost ran over Mike Rutherford from Genesis with a golf cart, but that is a whole other story.

Old
07-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Matt Foley*

Back when I still cared about the NBA, I attended this Piston / Celtic playoff game back in 1985, in which Vinnie Johnson earned his nickname, "The Microwave", by scoring 22 points in the fourth quarter. I sat in the opposite end of the Joe from where Vinnie was shooting; each time the ball left his hand you could tell it was going in. The fact that it happened against the hated Celtics made it all that much sweeter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmlzjA4q1Z4

Closed Thread