HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The CBJ Board Sports Thread (All OSU, MLB, NFL, NBA, Soccer, etc. talk in here)

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2007, 06:25 AM
Hugg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcor View Post
dood, i watched kitna ruin both the seahawks(my 2nd favorite team) and the bengals. i KNOW that he sucks and so does an entire stadium of fans. but keep trying to smack me down if it makes you feel any better.

(and just to elaborate~he's too short to see over the linesmen. he sucks at the long ball. he makes horrible decisions passing under pressure. etc. but kitna's a fun name.. lot's of variations of it come out when you are mad at him)
I miss Jon Kitna as a Bengal and it has absolutely nothing to do with his ability on the field. There's absolutely no discounting how much he did for Carson. There's a reason he wanted him back so badly. There are so many QBs who would have been totally threatened by Palmer and done nothing to help him. Kitna took him under his wing and basically taught him how to take his job.

He was THE leader in the locker room. We didn't have all the stupid problems we've had over the last year and a half when he was here. No one will convince me that's a total coincidence.

That and he was the best backup QB in the NFL. If we're turning to Doug Johnson at any point this year...season...over. At least Kitna kept us in games.

He'll be back anyway. I guarantee to you he hasn't spent his last season in Cincinnati. As soon as Detroit goes in another direction (and they will), he'll be back. This is his last shot as a starting QB and he had to take it. When that's done, he'll become Carson's personal backup until he retires.

Last edited by Hugg: 07-13-2007 at 06:30 AM.
Old
07-13-2007, 07:10 AM
Timzilla

Hockey - started out a North Stars, Flames, Whalers and Pens fan... ended up adding the Jackets to the top of that list... still miss the Whalers, I loved their jerseys/logo.

College - West Virginia Mountaineers and Marshall University Thundering Herd.

When I used to watch pro football I liked the Seahawks, the Steelers and the Bengals... don't pay much attention to it these days.

One of my better sports memories... Watching the 1992 1-AA College Football championship in Huntington, WV... Youngstown State (at the time led by current OSU coach you-know-who) against Marshall. Game tied, field goal at end to win it by a kicker (from Columbus area) who had never kicked an in game field goal before... Marshall wins 31-28. First championship in football after re-building the program from the plane crash that wiped out the team in 1970. If there ever was a win that was for more than the team or the school, it was that one... Emotions in that stadium, the town and all around were special. Also got to see long time NFL veteran receiver Troy Brown play for Marshall that day... he was a kick returner, wide receiver and played some defensive back as well. Incredible experience all around.

Old
07-13-2007, 08:02 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

The first college football game I ever attended was OSU vs. Duke in, I think, 1961. Bob Ferguson, Bo Scott, Paul Warfield, Tom Matte, etc. My father and I were with a pair of his friends who recruited our part of Ohio for Woody, so we went into the lockeroom after the game to see a player from Steubenville, Leon Lindsay (great high school player who never got much of a chance from The Wood Man!). Met the Old Man and several of the players. The ones I remember best were Bob Vogel (Massillon and Colts HoF tackle), and Matt Snell (SuperBowl star for NY Jets). Vogel shook hands with my entire arm! As for Snell, I had never seen anyone built like that! He looked like a Greek statue in ebony. All the players were, as demanded by Hayes, perfect gentlemen and very friendly and warm to a pesky, little kid. Might be one reason why I ended up spending so much time and money at OSU over the last forty years!

Last edited by pete goegan: 07-13-2007 at 08:32 AM.
Old
07-13-2007, 05:09 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I'm late but I already know I like Kallio Thank you to the mods for listening.

NHL: Blue Jackets, Sabres (everyone knows this anyway), Flyers
NFL: Bills, Browns
NBA: Cavs
MLB: Yankees
Golf: Woods
College: anything Ohio State.

By best sport moment was at Philly when the Leafs were in town-that was the game when a Flyer fan threw beer on Domi and rolled over the glass into the sin bin with him. Domi proceded to beat the living hell out of the guy , but to the fans credit and his hockey savy he never pressed charges.

Domi said later something to the effect-when you come into my world you will pay the price!

Old
07-14-2007, 09:05 AM
OnYourIgnoreList

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
UFC: Boring - seriously, I can't get into this. It just seems like people are hoping someone really gets hurt.
There's no doubt this is true, but it's true for boxing as well and nobody seems to bring it up wrg to that sport. Back in Tyson's heyday, was the huge surge in boxing's popularity because people were amazed at his technical skills or because he might just kill a man? Roy Jones Jr was the best p-f-p fighter in the world at the same time, roughly, and nobody knew who he was outside of boxing fans. The man couldn't sniff a Tyson-esque ppv event, as a better fighter in a more competitive division. All combat sports are propped up by the idiots who are interested in the gladiatorial aspects of the spectacle.

As a fan of MMA, it pains me to see a bunch of dumb thunks hoping for blood, but in the end, the real fans of MMA are just like the real fans of boxing: they are interested in technique and technical excellence. Really, that's the same for real fans of any sport. I'd bet the lot of you watch an entirely different brand of hockey than the average man-in-the-seat does. You just see things that other don't. I can respect not liking it because, hey, I fricking hate a lot of stuff that others adore, so to each their own. But please, don't judge it based solely on the worst aspects of its adherants. Peace, love and choke holds.

Old
07-14-2007, 01:21 PM
Mellington

Send a message via AIM to Mellington Send a message via Yahoo to Mellington
Columbus 35-Georgia 21 At the Half

Old
07-14-2007, 01:29 PM
falcor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugg View Post
I miss Jon Kitna as a Bengal and it has absolutely nothing to do with his ability on the field. There's absolutely no discounting how much he did for Carson. There's a reason he wanted him back so badly. There are so many QBs who would have been totally threatened by Palmer and done nothing to help him. Kitna took him under his wing and basically taught him how to take his job.

He was THE leader in the locker room. We didn't have all the stupid problems we've had over the last year and a half when he was here. No one will convince me that's a total coincidence.

That and he was the best backup QB in the NFL. If we're turning to Doug Johnson at any point this year...season...over. At least Kitna kept us in games.

He'll be back anyway. I guarantee to you he hasn't spent his last season in Cincinnati. As soon as Detroit goes in another direction (and they will), he'll be back. This is his last shot as a starting QB and he had to take it. When that's done, he'll become Carson's personal backup until he retires.
meh, he can be the team's cheerleader all he wants, hugg.. just so long as he stays off the field.

Old
07-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Hugg

The Destroyers are ArenaBowl bound!

Unbelievable. From 7-9 to beating the top 3 seeds in the conference on the road and going to New Orleans.

July 29, 3 PM, ABC.

Old
07-14-2007, 03:18 PM
pucks-not-bucks

Congrats to the Destoyers!

Way to overcome three straight road playoff games, a 7-9 regular season record, and a skin-flint owner.

Old
07-14-2007, 03:23 PM
bluejacket74

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucks-not-bucks View Post
Congrats to the Destoyers!

Way to overcome three straight road playoff games, a 7-9 regular season record, and a skin-flint owner.
Yep, congrats to the Destroyers! I thought they were going to blow it once Georgia took the lead, but they came back and played great the rest of the way.

Old
07-14-2007, 03:34 PM
QTMcWhiskers
Playoff Avatar Stays

Go Destroyers!

DEFENSE
WINS
CHAMPIONSHIPS!

What a dumb ad, but hey, they're in the Arena Bowl!

Old
07-14-2007, 04:25 PM
Goaliemon89
CBJ's Future CFO

Send a message via ICQ to Goaliemon89 Send a message via AIM to Goaliemon89 Send a message via MSN to Goaliemon89 Send a message via Yahoo to Goaliemon89
First yr Destroyers in playoffs = trip to championship

First yr Blue Jackets in playoffs = ________________?

Old
07-14-2007, 04:50 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugg View Post
The Destroyers are ArenaBowl bound!

Unbelievable. From 7-9 to beating the top 3 seeds in the conference on the road and going to New Orleans.

July 29, 3 PM, ABC.

Old
07-14-2007, 08:30 PM
BZArcher

Major congrats to the Destroyers - they gave us a scare at the end, but it was a hell of a game!

Old
07-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Casework

Disappointed I had to work all day and miss the Destroyers game, but glad to hear they won. I'm not sure if Columbus and Ohio in general can handle having GOOD teams in multiple sports... certainly hasn't happened in my lifetime.

Destroyers and Cavs have certainly done the state proud. Indians are looking to do the same, as well as the Crew. Can the Jackets and Bengals or Browns have great seasons to top this sports year off? Let's hope so, and let's hope this doesn't stop here.

Old
07-14-2007, 08:49 PM
3 goals = chili

Send a message via Skype™ to 3 goals = chili
there is that small state school that did some things this year too

in case you missed the game they (espn) are replaying it at 11 if you want to watch/dvr it

Old
07-14-2007, 09:42 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 goals = chili View Post
there is that small state school that did some things this year too

in case you missed the game they (espn) are replaying it at 11 if you want to watch/dvr it
Trust me, I've been along with the Buckeyes for years... the fact is, we've had minimal success in PROFESSIONAL sports. Sure, we have one of the best college sports school's of all time, but now we have some pro teams to brag about, too.

Old
07-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

[quote=Goaliemon89;9921473]First yr Destroyers in playoffs = trip to championship

First yr Blue Jackets in playoffs = ___2010_________?[/quote]

Old
07-15-2007, 08:20 AM
Hugg

Amazing coverage of the Destroyers in the paper today. A writer from Georgia "for The Columbus Dispatch."

Just an A+ effort from them. I realize the team isn't exactly a major deal in this city, but come on.

Although, in fairness, it's better coverage than you can get from the team's official website, so that's something.

Old
07-15-2007, 09:23 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZArcher View Post
Major congrats to the Destroyers - they gave us a scare at the end, but it was a hell of a game!
The giant shroud of suck is lifting from Columbus.

Old
07-15-2007, 11:05 AM
calderone01

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
The giant shroud of suck is lifting from Columbus.
Crew lost again last night so we suck again......just a little.

Wanted to throw this out there with Top Shelf's approval:

I have 2 extra tickets for the Crew/DC United match on Aug 18th(a Saturday) if anyone is interested. They're in Section 104 Rw.11 Seats 13-14, so they are good seats. Not asking for anything in return, just that they are used by a Columbus fan. PM me if you're interested and feel free to stop by the Local 103 tailgate at Crew matches if you're out at the stadium. Thanks, and now back to your regularly scheduled broadcast.

Edit: Tickets have been requested. Thanks for all the Crew interest.

Last edited by calderone01: 07-16-2007 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Tickets out.
Old
07-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by calderone01 View Post
Crew lost again last night so we suck again......just a little.

Wanted to throw this out there with Top Shelf's approval:

I have 2 extra tickets for the Crew/DC United match on Aug 18th(a Saturday) if anyone is interested. They're in Section 104 Rw.11 Seats 13-14, so they are good seats. Not asking for anything in return, just that they are used by a Columbus fan. PM me if you're interested and feel free to stop by the Local 103 tailgate at Crew matches if you're out at the stadium. Thanks, and now back to your regularly scheduled broadcast.
I watched the last 30 minutes or so.....I actually enjoyed it. The Crew should have tied it up!

Old
07-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Anyone else going to catch Beckham's first game with the Galaxy on Saturday? They're supposed to have 19 cameras on him, seems like overkill but it is ESPN so what do you expect? I hope he gets to play some, I read he's kinda iffy with a swollen ankle.

Old
07-16-2007, 08:47 PM
DJAnimosity
the ol knifey moloko

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
Anyone else going to catch Beckham's first game with the Galaxy on Saturday? They're supposed to have 19 cameras on him, seems like overkill but it is ESPN so what do you expect? I hope he gets to play some, I read he's kinda iffy with a swollen ankle.
I'll definitely be watching. Can't wait to see him in person at Crew Stadium on 9/30 as well.

Old
07-16-2007, 10:09 PM
calderone01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
Big time soccer fan here and I've no intention of watching the Galaxy/Chelsea match. ESPN's obsession with Beckham has completely turned me off from the positives of his arrival. No desire whatsoever to watch a "Beckham cam" game.

I will be at the match for the Gals and Crew, but will be there in full support of Columbus.

Closed Thread