Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2007 Development Camp

Old
07-23-2007, 02:59 PM
________

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
There's some type of error on the PDF file it says 33 players. Pushkarev isn't on the roster at the development camp I heard(it says 32 players). Probably because he's played in a few NHL games.

Also Sertich and Lindgren haven't been on the ice either session today I've heard.

Mixed reports from some other people that have went, a few thought Niskanen was the best defenseman at the early session, some thought Fistric and some other Vishnevskiy.
Bachman has been impressive and Neal was good also at it.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 03:03 PM
GetPushy

hmmm he was on the list on the stars site the other day when I looked. Did it change?

GetPushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 03:10 PM
________

Not sure, because someone that has the roster it says.
22 Forwards 7 defenseman 3 goalies. (Pushkarev not listed, so they're using a defenseman at forward Matt Nickerson I'm assuming, either him or Dupont)
Not the 22 forwards, 8 defenseman and 3 goalies like the roster online.

Old
07-23-2007, 03:29 PM
GetPushy

Hmm well that makes me sad! I guess he'll be confused by the email I sent him wishing him good luck Well, I wish he was there.

Old
07-23-2007, 03:42 PM
BigG44

Mike Heika reported on the Dallas Morning News Star's Blog that Pushkarev wasn't attending due to scheduling and Lindgren was to sick to leave Finland.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 03:45 PM
GetPushy

Hmm. Ok. that's stinks. Thanks for the info!

Old
07-23-2007, 03:50 PM
Chad_

I was impressed with Niskanen today, but also Vishnevskiy too. Fistric looked good, but these camps always seem to emphasize offense rather than defense so Niskanen and Vishnevskiy should stand out more than Fistric would in that area.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 04:46 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Alright I made it out there to the afternoon session. Some notes.

As others have pointed out, no Lindgren or Pushkarev. Crombeen actually looked like a serviceable player. Rang a ton of shots off the post. Neal looked decent, although nothing spectacular from what I saw. Sachetti looked completely lost for about the first 45 minutes. He couldn't stickhandle, pass, or score. But he did really pick it up after that. Wandell can still dangle with the best of them, although he outdangled himself on a few occasions. Niskanen was definately the best d-man on the ice. It's interesting that they gave him #5 to wear. Most players there have numbers in the 30's or higher, which makes me think te Stars brass think he might have a shot at making the team. Vishnevskiy also looked good. Him and Niskanen were paired in a 2 on none drill, and I swear they scored every time. Fistric was decent, but these camps emphasize offense mostly, so he's not going to stand out.

Oh yeah, I also never thought I would say this. Gadzic is actually a worse hockey player than Wathier. He cannot do anything.

Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Alright I made it out there to the afternoon session. Some notes.

As others have pointed out, no Lindgren or Pushkarev. Crombeen actually looked like a serviceable player. Rang a ton of shots off the post. Neal looked decent, although nothing spectacular from what I saw. Sachetti looked completely lost for about the first 45 minutes. He couldn't stickhandle, pass, or score. But he did really pick it up after that. Wandell can still dangle with the best of them, although he outdangled himself on a few occasions. Niskanen was definately the best d-man on the ice. It's interesting that they gave him #5 to wear. Most players there have numbers in the 30's or higher, which makes me think te Stars brass think he might have a shot at making the team. Vishnevskiy also looked good. Him and Niskanen were paired in a 2 on none drill, and I swear they scored every time. Fistric was decent, but these camps emphasize offense mostly, so he's not going to stand out.

Oh yeah, I also never thought I would say this. Gadzic is actually a worse hockey player than Wathier. He cannot do anything.
I thought the same of Sacchetti in the afternoon practice, but I didn't think he turned anything up. It seemed as if he didn't think he deserved to be there, or was just trying to do too much to impress.

Old
07-23-2007, 05:05 PM
________

Sertich should be there tomorrow.

Quote:
Sachetti looked completely lost for about the first 45 minutes. He couldn't stickhandle, pass, or score. But he did really pick it up after that.
Normally Sacchetti sucks the first couple of days during camps during the summer, but he should improve each day out there.

Old
07-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
Sertich should be there tomorrow.
He was there today.

Old
07-23-2007, 05:10 PM
________

Oh, well I was just going by what Heika said.

Old
07-23-2007, 05:26 PM
sloanfan16

made it to both sessions today buit was late to the morning one....

First Ill echo what has been said about sacchetti... he looked out of place and out of sorts but when they were doing the three net shooting drill I could see what the Stars saw in him... he handles the puck well and has an ok shot but today he looked terrible.

just watching his eyes and looks after drills he was what Ill call "in his head" It looked like every mistake that he made he mentally beat himself up about and that just feed onto the next mistake but hey the kids 17 yr old and this was probably his 1st day playing with players of this talent level...

Other things that stood out was Fistric in the 1-1 drills in the morning... I felt bad for whoever had to go against him...Id be ok if it was him up learning this year from Norstrom instead of grossman...In past camps/ games Ive seen Fistrics only knock was his puckhandling but it seems to have improved to an acceptable level...

On puckhandling if you want to watch a dman that can use his stick get out there and watch Niskanen.... the puck has a magnet in it when he gets it on his stick

J Neal looked solid not great but solid and it looked like he was having fun out there he's got a great shot and is pretty creative for a guy his size...

Sertich was there this afternoon and looked like he did last year great stick solid shot questionable size... looking forward to watching him in 1-1s to see if a year in the AHL improved his skills in the corner...

of the invitees...
Doyle looked good in the morning session and ok in the afternoon hope he gets signed

ben van lare looked good in the afternoon session and has a nice snap shot...

adam kraus looks like a real battler I dont know if he'll ever make it to the league
(young goalies are hard to judge) but he hates to give up on the play and you cant teach that

sloanfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Leafs 67 and Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloanfan16 View Post
made it to both sessions today buit was late to the morning one....

First Ill echo what has been said about sacchetti... he looked out of place and out of sorts but when they were doing the three net shooting drill I could see what the Stars saw in him... he handles the puck well and has an ok shot but today he looked terrible.

just watching his eyes and looks after drills he was what Ill call "in his head" It looked like every mistake that he made he mentally beat himself up about and that just feed onto the next mistake but hey the kids 17 yr old and this was probably his 1st day playing with players of this talent level...

Other things that stood out was Fistric in the 1-1 drills in the morning... I felt bad for whoever had to go against him...Id be ok if it was him up learning this year from Norstrom instead of grossman...In past camps/ games Ive seen Fistrics only knock was his puckhandling but it seems to have improved to an acceptable level...

On puckhandling if you want to watch a dman that can use his stick get out there and watch Niskanen.... the puck has a magnet in it when he gets it on his stick

J Neal looked solid not great but solid and it looked like he was having fun out there he's got a great shot and is pretty creative for a guy his size...

Sertich was there this afternoon and looked like he did last year great stick solid shot questionable size... looking forward to watching him in 1-1s to see if a year in the AHL improved his skills in the corner...

of the invitees...
Doyle looked good in the morning session and ok in the afternoon hope he gets signed

ben van lare looked good in the afternoon session and has a nice snap shot...

adam kraus looks like a real battler I dont know if he'll ever make it to the league
(young goalies are hard to judge) but he hates to give up on the play and you cant teach that
Thanks for the update.
How did Michael Neal look???

Leafs 67 and Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 05:46 PM
sloanfan16

M Neal looked There for lack of a better word... didnt do anything that really stood out but at the same time didnt look out of place... he just did the drills and got back in line... the only thing that shocked me is on the wrap around drills he showed better hands than I had heard he had he got the puck up in tight with some good location

sloanfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 06:05 PM
Dr GLU

A copy of my thoughts for the day also posted at Andrew's (Morning and Afternoon)

Forwards

Crombeen - Same story as always. Hustles, has that really hard shot, but just doesn't seem quite there yet.

J. Neal - Great showing. By far the best on the ice, IMO. Showed a lot on intelligence with and without the puck. Nice hands for setting up and finishing.

Sertich - Came out in the afternoon. Took him a bit to find his legs and hands but looked crafty as ever. Should improve as he hits his stride.

Smith - Nice quick hands, a lot of creativity, and some drive to the net. Really needs to fill out and improve his skating (he gets around, but it's very sloppy).

Soryal - Didn't really stand out. Barely noticed him.

Wandell - Hit or miss. Looked really slick at times, but at others just blended in with the pack.

McIntyre - Expected a bit more out of him. Didn't stand out quite as much as last summer. Offensive game looked a little out of sorts, could be rust, could be confidence.

Benn - Excellent hands. Has a lot of work to do on skating, puck control, and defense, but he can put the puck in the net. Bit of a sniper's touch.

Clune - Has the makings of a solid pest-type player. Tons of hustle. Conscientious defensively. Will be a royal pain to skate against. Probably could be every bit the player Ott is.

Szczechura - Didn't really notice him that much. I expected a little more, but it is his first day there.

Sacchetti - Looked good in individual drills, but looked to struggle with pace in the competitive drills. Should settle in as the week goes on, but he's got plenty of time to improve.

Van Lare - Decent showing. Made some nice moves offensively, decent hustle. Just doesn't look to have the skill to be more than a minor leaguer.

M. Neal - Didn't look to have the pace, build, or drive of his brother.

Gazdic - Reminds me of Wathier...

Roman - Probably had the strongest showing out of the 07 draftees. Very skilled, slick. Nice, accurate shot.

Lammers - Didn't watch him much. Looked a little rusty.

Sceviour - Solid first day. Didn't really notice any flaws. Nice hustle. Good at both ends.

Snow - Not very impressed. Skating remains an issue. Skill level can be questioned.

Gagnon - Didn't see a whole lot out of him today. Expected a little more out of him offensively.

Defensemen

Niskanen - Fantastic player. Polished at both ends. Fluid skater. Smart passer. Skilled. Very smart.

Ludwig - Don't really pay attention to either Ludwig anymore, sorry.

Fistric - Will be a monster. Absolutely demolished some guys along the boards. Rock solid on D. Bit of a shot, but that's not what will get him a spot.

Doyle - Far from impressed. His skating stride was awful. Showed at least decent offensive ability, but that's all.

Nickerson - Not much development. Really should have seen more by now if he had a big future.

Vishnevskiy - Still needs to mature. Can really skate. Very creative with the puck. Improved defensively. A little bit of an independent contractor.

Dupont - Didn't notice him at all.

Goaltenders

Bachman - Looked good. Excellent glove. Solid fundamentals and movement. By far the best of the goalies out there.

Blanchard - Pretty average. Nothing special.

Kraus - Had more holes than swiss cheese. Got beaten with regularity. Will give him credit for his fight, but he got downright abused at times.

HF Bonus

Talked with Les Jackson briefly. He thinks very, very highly of Niskanen, says his smarts are his biggest asset. Pleased with Fistric's progress and conditioning coming into camp (called him "a horse" and "a guy that's not flashy but you need to win").

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Walzy

Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
nobody mentioned Stich yet....was he that invinsible ?

Walzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Dr GLU

Wasn't there. Pulled out for some reason.

Old
07-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Ripmeister

See, I haven't been telling "tall tales" about how good Fistric and Niskanen are!!! Man, am I looking forward to having James Neal here at Iowa this season!

Ripmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 07:06 PM
________

So I take it McKnight was invisible?

Old
07-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Dr GLU

Don't remember seeing him on the ice at all. I don't think he was there.

Old
07-23-2007, 07:32 PM
Kevin Wey

Glad to see Niskanen showing what I talked about seeing from him in Iowa. Maybe he's showing even more. I still fully expect him to fully live up to my expectations of lasting long in training camp, starting in Iowa, getting recalled mid-season, and never returning. (Unless Dallas clears out a spot for him, which is possible).

Glad to hear Fistric is performing well. Guess we'll see if he outcompetes Grossman, who I'd give the edge to entering training camp. I do fully expect both to play regularly in Dallas someday.

Thanks for the reports!

Kevin Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 11:46 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Thanks for the info GLU, et al.
Definitely intriguing that they've given Niskanen the # 5 already. Could we possibly start the season with Niskanen AND Grossman as regulars post-some sort of trade? Would have seemed crazy not too long ago. Anyway good to hear that the "big 3" D prospects are all progressing quickly.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 11:51 PM
Stars-Preds

Great reports guys; keep it up. I was out there for a few minutes but didn't get to watch very much.

I'm pumped about Fistric. I love James Neal and Niskanen but I've had high hopes for them ever since they were drafted. Fistric appeared to be a bust initially and I hated that we passed on some good offensive players to take him. However, it now appears that he could turn out to be a pretty good player.

I'm pretty excited about our future blueline that could feature Trevor Daley, Niklas Grossman, Niskanen, and Fistric.

Stars-Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 12:00 AM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Thanks for the info GLU, et al.
Definitely intriguing that they've given Niskanen the # 5 already. Could we possibly start the season with Niskanen AND Grossman as regulars post-some sort of trade? Would have seemed crazy not too long ago. Anyway good to hear that the "big 3" D prospects are all progressing quickly.
I for one wouldn't mind seeing them both in the lineup, assuming both play well enough in preseason. Find someone to dump Robidas on and roll with Zubov, Boucher, Norstrom, Daley, Grossman, and Niskanen. Sure, you'll get a few more mistakes from Niskanen that you will with Robidas, but you'll also get more offense, which is still what they need. Of course, this is dependant on Niskanen's play in training camp/preseason games.

Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote