HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Schedule Released

Old
07-12-2007, 01:53 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I'll definitely be getting some Boston tickets, should be fun.
yup, i that circled as well. last year was the first year i didnt go to a game in Boston in years.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 02:24 PM
flyersfan97

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeIsGoneDotCom View Post
yup, i that circled as well. last year was the first year i didnt go to a game in Boston in years.
Oh, so you're the reason why we stunk so badly.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 02:32 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
Oh, so you're the reason why we stunk so badly.
yup.
i take full responsibility

Old
07-12-2007, 02:40 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
yup.
i take full responsibility
I seriously cannot stand it when people break their routines!!! Do you know how many playoff games I've watched in May, sweating my butt off, because I have to wear the same thing I wore when they were winning in December. (and before anyone gets sarcastic, yes, I do laundry during the season).

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 09:51 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryz View Post
Strange for the Flyers to open the season with a Western Canadian road swing. Should be fun.
I'm cool with it. I'll have to start planning a little road trip to Vancouver for the 10/10 game.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 10:21 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Minor rant to follow on the idiots in the NHL that put together this schedule:

How friggin difficult is it to put together a schedule? Apparently pretty damn difficult. People have the entire offseason to get amped up for the new year, new team, and hopefully new success... then you start the season with a 9pm game against Calgary. Every team should start the year with a marquee matchup to get everyone excited... it should also start at 7pm so that everyone, including younger kids, can watch the game. I vividly remember growing up and loving the West Coast swing after christmas... because I could stay up late with no school and watch the games.

Then you follow that up with the Oilers (which will obviously be rather entertaining this year)... and a 10pm game against the Canucks. Excellent work NHL, you just killed the momentum at the start of the year.

Calgary should play the Oilers on the first and last day of the season... EVERY year.

We should be playing someone in our division...

NHL... get friggin control of the stupid schedule. Display some cognitive powers other than pulling balls out of a lottery for who plays when. Every season should start heavy in division and conference play: familiar faces, teams you want to beat, etc. Then... in the middle of the season when Division and Conference start to lose their charm you spice it up with a bit of the other conference, just to give people something new to look at. Then you come back heavy with division and conference to finish out the year as you have the playoff races.

They blow their load... and the ONLY card they have to make the schedule 'interesting' by having those games right at the start when the novelty of the season means people would be paying attention anyway... it's not just some throw away game in the middle of the year, it's game 1... if you're a fan of course you're going to be watching!

This league needs to completely overhaul the folks running it at the most basic levels... this is an obvious gaffe.

The Flyers don't have to worry about getting people excited. The people who follow the team 12 months a year will be excited no matter what. For everyone else, the season starts when the Eagles are out.

Ed Snider also pulls a lot of strings. Maybe he wanted it this way.

Can anyone come up with a calendar form of the schedule?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The Flyers don't have to worry about getting people excited. The people who follow the team 12 months a year will be excited no matter what. For everyone else, the season starts when the Eagles are out.

Ed Snider also pulls a lot of strings. Maybe he wanted it this way.

Can anyone come up with a calendar form of the schedule?
The Flyers don't, but the league does.

These are the little decisions that add up and are a big part of why the league struggles... tons of stupid, fixable, things that they could take a moment to think through and put together. Ed Snider pulls strings, but I doubt he's bothering to call up the league office to say, "I'd like my team in Calgary to start the year."

Already you have all these diehard fans complaining about the schedule, now you're just going to exacerbate it. Who is going to complain about game 1-10 having the Rangers a couple of times? No one. People will (and do) complain about games 40-50 having the Rangers a couple of times.

They have a perfect model for how to organize the schedule with the MLB, who really focuses on sequencing everything, which is smart. This isn't complex... it's little things that could help in little ways, but if you have enough of those things happening you get major results.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 12:13 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

The only people who care enough to complain about the schedule are in this thread. I talk to many people I know who are big Flyers fans (but bigger Eagles fans) about the schedule and get blank stares. They could care less.

I don't mind all the road games to start the season, because it means a lot of home games later in the season, and that will be a huge advantage in February and March.

Old
07-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Jester

Quote:
The only people who care enough to complain about the schedule are in this thread. I talk to many people I know who are big Flyers fans (but bigger Eagles fans) about the schedule and get blank stares. They could care less.

I don't mind all the road games to start the season, because it means a lot of home games later in the season, and that will be a huge advantage in February and March.
i don't care about road games... i care about the league making stupid decisions. obviously someone who doesn't particularly care isn't going to go into a rant about the schedule. that's not the issue... the issue is getting fans who are moderately interested but have a lot of stuff going on in their lives (aka, most people) to have a reason to watch a game in mid january (ie. ooh, Calgary)... as opposed to game 5 of the Rangers, who they just watched last week.

as i said, this is a very small issue... but it's an obvious one that they can easily handle and speaks to the larger issues of how this league is run at a very basic level that causes them problems. like their willingness to stick with OLN/VS after Comcast got shut out of the NFL (which was the big play they were hoping to make)... when that didn't happen they should have slinked back to ESPN.

and the people that are in this thread... and complaining about the schedule are going to watch the games regardless. the issue is the silent majority of people who may not bother to watch a game for any number of reasons - an obvious one being the lack of novelty.

Old
07-13-2007, 01:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
i don't care about road games... i care about the league making stupid decisions. obviously someone who doesn't particularly care isn't going to go into a rant about the schedule. that's not the issue... the issue is getting fans who are moderately interested but have a lot of stuff going on in their lives (aka, most people) to have a reason to watch a game in mid january (ie. ooh, Calgary)... as opposed to game 5 of the Rangers, who they just watched last week.
The Flyers could start the season with a 4-game series against the Rangers, no one else would care until February.

Old
07-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Jester

Quote:
The Flyers could start the season with a 4-game series against the Rangers, no one else would care until February.
that has nothing to do with what i'm pointing out.

Old
07-13-2007, 01:59 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
that has nothing to do with what i'm pointing out.
Well how did the last two seasons start and when did this town start to take notice?

Old
07-13-2007, 04:52 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 929
Maybe this plays into the schedule making process, and maybe it doesn't, but I am a proponent of four divisions (8-7, 8-7 by Conference). Perhaps the NHL would use that as impetus to expand to a 32-team League (and that is a whole different argument) but I have never been a fan of six divisions.

Another oddity: After the first five games, the Bruins don't play in the West the remainder of the season.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Jester

Quote:
Well how did the last two seasons start and when did this town start to take notice?
at what point does PHILADELPHIA factor in at all on the low-end of the spectrum as far as NHL interest?

you also mistake the fact that there's a LOT MORE going on in Philadelphia than the Flyers as an indication that the town isn't taking interest. Philadelphia has at least 4 newspapers that I can think of off the top of my head that cover the Flyers extensively... not true in almost any other city you can name in the US. the Flyers, essentially, have their own station that broadcasts almost every game... reports on practice... etc., etc.

are the Eagles huge? yes.

do the Sixers get coverage? yes.

does the Big 5 get coverage? yes.

two of those things disappear come spring... thus there's an appearance that the town suddenly takes interest out of nowhere. there's interest there in comparison to the rest of the league... so i wouldn't use Philly as the starting point for issuing any real thought about the problems in coverage.

the issue with that schedule is minor... it's going to have a very small effect on the NHL... the problem is that it is one of many stupid little things they do that are completely avoidable. you and i don't matter in this discussion at all... i would tell you straight out that i'd get a bit excited about going out and playing Calgary/Edmonton in December/January as a break in the schedule... but, as said, it doesn't really matter with me because I'd be watching anyway.

however, what is important there is that there IS some amount of interest born of the 'novelty' of those teams. by using up that novelty at the start of the season (remember, it goes both ways) you can't get it back for those clubs.

Old
07-14-2007, 12:38 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Maybe this plays into the schedule making process, and maybe it doesn't, but I am a proponent of four divisions (8-7, 8-7 by Conference). Perhaps the NHL would use that as impetus to expand to a 32-team League (and that is a whole different argument) but I have never been a fan of six divisions.

Another oddity: After the first five games, the Bruins don't play in the West the remainder of the season.
i think the NHL would be in great shape at 24 teams, but that's obviously not happening. i would expect to see 32 and 4 divisions at some point in the near future. Las Vegas and Hamilton, or something along those lines... personally, if they were really thinking they would put them both out west... Vegas and Portland? so that they could shift a bit.

it isn't odd... that's the way the schedule works. you get 5 games out west... and they have 5 games out east. so you use 'em up... they're gone.

Old
07-14-2007, 01:37 PM
MountainHawk

I agree the schedule is a bit odd. However, on a selfish note, I'm glad the two games at Boston are on Saturday ... makes it easy for me to get to the games.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 01:46 PM
runkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I agree the schedule is a bit odd. However, on a selfish note, I'm glad the two games at Boston are on Saturday ... makes it easy for me to get to the games.
Me too! I won't have to ask to get out early to go to this year so I am a happy camper!

runkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 02:13 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
i think the NHL would be in great shape at 24 teams, but that's obviously not happening. i would expect to see 32 and 4 divisions at some point in the near future. Las Vegas and Hamilton, or something along those lines... personally, if they were really thinking they would put them both out west... Vegas and Portland? so that they could shift a bit.

it isn't odd... that's the way the schedule works. you get 5 games out west... and they have 5 games out east. so you use 'em up... they're gone.

By odd I meant unique/different that the full allotment of games on the road against the other Conference is coming within the first five games of the schedule. I don't know of too many instances with this current schedule format that a team finished it's road (or even home) schedule against the other Conference that quickly.

Old
07-14-2007, 05:02 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

The western road trip after Christmas is something I looked forward to every year, especially the New Year's Eve game in Vancouver.

Old
07-15-2007, 06:12 AM
Jester

Quote:
[/B]

By odd I meant unique/different that the full allotment of games on the road against the other Conference is coming within the first five games of the schedule. I don't know of too many instances with this current schedule format that a team finished it's road (or even home) schedule against the other Conference that quickly.
if they put me in charge of the schedule i would have the teams play those as a block of games... so you'd get a 5 game road trip out to your western division... and they'd get a 5 game trip to their eastern opponent.

i would stick it those two set ups straddling christmas... so one in 2nd/3rd week of december... and then follow Christmas with the other one. it would be a nice break in the season and you'd get to see some new teams.

i would also exert some real influence over the schedule to keep teams from having these random stretches where they play someone 3-4 times in a 10 game stretch, which seems to happen to someone every year.

Quote:
The western road trip after Christmas is something I looked forward to every year, especially the New Year's Eve game in Vancouver.
i didn't particularly care about who, but i think that model makes a ton of sense.

Old
07-15-2007, 08:01 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

The obvious consideration is whether the arena is available for certain dates and who has priority (team, building management, etc.). Maybe the structure has dates reserved for other events (concert, circus, etc.). With GM Place, I think the Canucks' ownership owns the facility as well. I do see that the Canucks are home on 12/30 and play in Calgary on New Year's Eve.

For a team in the East, it is probably a given that Van, Edmonton and Calgary will be on the same trip. The Devils play them consecutively in mid-December, the Isles play them as part of a four game swing (including Colorado) in early January, the Rangers have a Minnesota/Colorado trip right before Christmas then start the new year with three in a row against Van, Calgary and Edmonton, and Pittsburgh has a three game trip to Edm, Calg and Van in early December.

Old
07-16-2007, 09:45 AM
rayearth

I created a Google calendar with the schedule if anyone would like to use it. I'll add the TV info into the Where field when it gets released.
Click here to add

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 06:42 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Looks like I may be doing a hockey double-header on December 29.

Flyers at Tampa Bay at 1:00.

Then the Lightning host a college tourney. Later that day the University of Massachusetts plays Notre Dame.

Old
07-20-2007, 12:42 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Looks like I may be doing a hockey double-header on December 29.

Flyers at Tampa Bay at 1:00.

Then the Lightning host a college tourney. Later that day the University of Massachusetts plays Notre Dame.

yeah, UNH was down there last year for that same tournament.

Old
07-20-2007, 12:53 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
yeah, UNH was down there last year for that same tournament.
Do you remember if there were two college hockey games the first night followed by two the next (consolation and championship)? I don't see any info on the arena's site and UMass only has their game info followed by two times listed for the next day. Maybe I'm in for a triple-header.