HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Lots of surprises so far this year...

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2003, 09:27 AM
Laches

vCash: 500
Lots of surprises so far this year...

...and disappointments to.

Nearing the halfway mark, we've got San Jose and Atlanta leading their divisions, Calgary sitting at 9 games over .500 and Toronto coming off a 16-game point streak. Can't say I expected any of those teams to do that well.

Washington has been a disaster. Not that I thought they'd win the Cup, but man have they been terrible. Columbus is a team that I thought might take a step forward this year. I expected Dallas to come back with more of a purpose this year.

And, of course, there's our beloved Rangers. Hovering near .500 at around the 9th/10th spot in the Conference. Some teams haven't been as surprising.

Last edited by Laches: 12-31-2003 at 12:59 PM.
Old
12-31-2003, 11:22 AM
Maximus

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laches
...and disappointments to.

Nearing the halfway mark, we've got San Jose and Atlanta leading their divisions, Calgary sitting at 9 games over .500 and Toronto coming off a 16-game point streak. Can't say I expected any of those teams to do that well.

Washington has been a disaster. Not that I thought they'd win the Cup, but man have they been terrible. Columbus is a team that I thought might take a step forward this year. I expected Dallas to come back with more of a purpose this year.

And, of course, there's our beloved Rangers. Hovering near .500 at around the 9th/10th spot in the Conference. Some teams haven't been a surprising.
Have to agree with you about how well San Jose,Atlanta and Calgary are doing thus far and with how putrid Columbus is as I expected them to at least compete for the 8th spot out West. Dallas also has been somewhat of a suprise as to how poorly they are doing as well as the Caps.

Don't agree with you however about Toronto as they always have very good regular seasons and this year is no different(playoffs is another story as they'll choke again...count on it).

A few other teams that have suprised me thus far has been Minnesotas fairly dissapointing play as I expected them to be an upper half team in the West yet they'll be fortuanate to even make the playoffs. Surpised a bit at how Colorodo hasn't dominated more than they have though injuries have taken a toll on them(though the Blues haven't skipped a bit and they've had worse injuries than the 'Lanche). Ducks have been pretty dissappointing as well.

On the other side, the 'Yotes,Kings and Nashville have all suprised me with their very competitive play this year. Rangers are doing pretty much what I expected...hovering around the .500 mark and will likely sneak into the dance finally this year. More suprised that they are even around .500 with Kovalev having scored only 5 FRIGGIN GOALS!!!. That is an incredible statistic....just thought I'd mention that again.....5 FRIGGIN GOALS for Alexei Kovalev as we hit the turn here in the 2003-04 season.

Still a long way to go and lots of the teams mentioned can turn things around for the good or the bad. But definitly a very exciting year in the NHL this season.

-Maxie

Old
12-31-2003, 12:37 PM
Laches

Toronto I thought would be a playoff team, but I don't think many would have expected them to have the league's highest point total on New Years Eve.

I wasn't surprised by Minnesota's start. They let Ronning walk, Gaborik and Dupuis held out. Starting the season without your top 3 scoring forwards is tough. They've also had to contend with 2 things this year that they didn't as much last year: injuries and respect from other teams. They were generally healthy last year, and no matter how well they did or how many games they won, their opponents had a tendency to take them a bit lightly, even in the playoffs. Nobody's doing that this year, the cat's out of the bag on them being a solid hockey team. They're riding a 9-game unbeaten streak at the moment and looking a lot better, they could still sneak in but it will be tough.

Old
12-31-2003, 12:46 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

How about Dallas - they really have been a disappointment so far.

Old
01-01-2004, 12:46 PM
Laches

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeofWindsor
choke again eh?

Last year we took the Flyers to 7 games.

2002 - Went to the conference finals.

2001 - Swept Ottawa, but went on to lose to the Devils, in 7 games.

2000 - Beat Ottawa , but lost to the Devils in 6.

1999 - Beat the Flyers, Penguins, then lost to Buffalo in the conference finals.
---Yes, choke again. Either you win your last game or you don't.

Closed Thread