HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Daily News/Raleigh News-Matt Cullen to the Canes?

Old
07-12-2007, 11:30 AM
TomLaidlaw

vCash: 500
As for the option of playing Avery at Center. Yes it is an option but I would rather keep Avery on the wing. The center has more defensive zone responsibility than the two wings, he needs to come down and help down low with the defenseman. I don't want Avery having too much to think about other than annoying the opposing players as much as possible.
Alot of times at the end of the year we saw Avery taking faceoffs, it didn't mean he played that shift at Center though. Alot of times he would take the faceoff because he was a better faceoff man than Staka and then Staka would take over the Center duties right after the faceoff and Avery would switch back to the wing.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 11:31 AM
Renney=Savior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Agree. I think whats basically happening is Cullen for Souray.

While it looks like a great trade on paper it screws the dynamic of this team.

You are SOLID down the middle and all 4 are above average on faceoffs. Why toy with that?!

Fit Avery in - walk away from Hossa and drop the puck.
What could Souray possibly bring to the table that the team doesn't already have? I'd over pay a defensive minded defenseman before ever going after Souray. Then again Sather knows much more then me.

Renney=Savior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 11:39 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Agree. I think whats basically happening is Cullen for Souray.

While it looks like a great trade on paper it screws the dynamic of this team.

You are SOLID down the middle and all 4 are above average on faceoffs. Why toy with that?!

Fit Avery in - walk away from Hossa and drop the puck.
For the umpteenth time, trading Cullen does NOT free up enough room to sign Souray AND retain Avery. Leaving Hossa out of the question, you cannot "fit Avery in" and sign Souray with $6MM in cap. Period. Done. End of conversation.

If Slats is trying to get Souray, he's got to either a) move Cullen and NOT resign Avery or b) move Cullen and then make a second trade to free up another $3MM or so.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 11:45 AM
bubba5

Avery cannot play a defensive center on the third line. Who will check the Crosby line, who will check the top lines on every team, AVERY!!!!!!Kiss the season goodbye. We might as well not have wasted time on Drury and Gomez then

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 11:50 AM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
The suggestion that Carolina would surrender a 1st round pick in the 2008 for Matt freakin Cullen is beyond ********.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 11:52 AM
TomLaidlaw

I'm interested to get everyones feedback on which option they would prefer if the two options were .....

#1-Trade Cullen(2.8mill) replace with Dubinsky

#2-Trade Mara(3.0mill) replace with Staal

Old
07-12-2007, 11:53 AM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I'm interested to get everyones feedback on which option they would prefer if the two options were .....

Mara, I dont think he has the speed to keep up against the better teams

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 11:55 AM
NYROrtsFan

Think Staal is in there anyway...

For me it comes down to Trade Mara and replace with Pock.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 11:59 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

It's not that clear cut.

Staal could earn a spot regardless of it Mara is traded.

As I said before, there are more options than just Dubinsky if you trade Cullen.

But, to play along, I take option 1. There are more and better options when it comes to replacing Cullen. And I believe that Staal will make the team regardless and I'd rather haver Mara and Staal playing than Staal and Pock.

07-12-2007, 12:05 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
Trade Malik. Give him away. Give away a mid round pick with him. At 2.5 million someone will take him. And don't resign Hossa. Don't get rid of Mara or Cullen. And forget about signing another defenseman. We'll be fine with our defense. Especially if we dump Marek Malik.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoritystorm View Post
Trade Malik. Give him away. Give away a mid round pick with him. At 2.5 million someone will take him. And don't resign Hossa. Don't get rid of Mara or Cullen. And forget about signing another defenseman. We'll be fine with our defense. Especially if we dump Marek Malik.
One thing though - Sather, Renney, & his teammates feel the exact opposite. Who would you believe, the team and its management, or the fans who have no clue of what goes on even when they actually are watching?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 12:12 PM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoritystorm View Post

That and why are people so eager to get rid of Cullen? This guy is great in the third line with Prucha and Callahan providing us with a great forechecking line that can score and provide a ton of speed.
you are wrong here bc cullen is not a play maker at all and those 2 players you mentioned are finishers... they are being wasted if playing without someone who can distribute the puck... how many times was cullen on 2 on 1s or odd man rushes and simply just could not distribute the puck? those players need a responsible playmaker as a center

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
One thing though - Sather, Renney, & his teammates feel the exact opposite. Who would you believe, the team and its management, or the fans who have no clue of what goes on even when they actually are watching?

I usually believe the fans...they were so right on about Rozsvial last year...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 12:15 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It's not that clear cut.

As I said before, there are more options than just Dubinsky if you trade Cullen.

But, to play along, I take option 1. There are more and better options when it comes to replacing Cullen. And I believe that Staal will make the team regardless and I'd rather haver Mara and Staal playing than Staal and Pock.
If we use an option other than Dubinsky to replace Cullen as the 3rd line center it weakens our top 2 lines and potentially causes chemistry issues. For example bringing Straka down off the top two lines to center the 3rd.

My point is that replacing Mara with Staal fixes our cap problem while being the least disruptive to the rest of our lineup. We were a very good team, I don't want to rejumble our entire team. Personally, I have more confidence in Staal playing with Pock as our 3rd line Defensive pairing then I do in giving Dubinsky the 3rd line center duties and hoping he meshes with Cally and Prucha. We have alot of uncertainity after our off season already. Will Gomez gel with Jagr? Will Drury gel with whoever he is playing with on the 2nd line? One thing that is certain is that Cally-Cullen-Prucha have great chemistry together. If we replace Cullen we now have unknowns on all 3 top lines.

Old
07-12-2007, 12:19 PM
bleedblue94

Quote:
I don't love Avery playing center, but it's an option. Maybe something like:

Dawes/Korpikoski/Byers-Avery-Callahan
dont even need to

hossa drury jj
prucha gomez shanny
straka avery cally
? betts byers

or

swap hossa and straka

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
It's not that clear cut.

you are right on about the other options...especially with both straka and avery having played center in the past...trading cullen opens the door for HOPEFULLY one of Korpedo, Dubinsky, Dawes, or even somebody out of nowhere like pyatt or dupont? (no i'm not saying they are going to make the team but what if they have a great camp...it happens)

I do disagree with you about adding another defensemen in a trade. I don't want Souray (but think the rangers do) but if it's cullen for a defensemen thats more depth on the team...can we really count on Pock or Strudwick??

I know your not handing Staal a spot on the team but singn if i had to guess i'd say he starts the year in hartford unless his camp is unreal...i just think they have been so patient with him so far it might make sense to sather/renney to start him in the ahl..

boy, isn't this so much better then wondering who between betts and dominic moore will be the rangers 3rd or 4th line center?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 12:28 PM
The_Great_1

As some have said I don't see Souray being a good fit for the Rangers either for chemistry and/or cap room. Cullen being moved legit or not I am torn on mostly because I like his 3rd line role and he is decent on faceoffs, along with Betts. Mara and Malik both have ups and downs but I feel Mara is going to have a decnet season this year and Malik logs a ton of minutes and generally has good +/- even though he makes some really bad plays in the defensive zone just like Nylander did. I'm not sure I would trade either unless it came down to being the only way to get Avery resigned who is IMO basically the last main piece to the puzzle for a great season.

The_Great_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 12:31 PM
sickboy35

Quote:

for me i would keep mara, trade cullen and let dubinski play 3rd line center, there are plenty of teams that have rookies in the starting line up that can win it all, i mean cam ward won stanley cup as rookie goalie!

sickboy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 12:35 PM
frankthefrowner

CUllen is due close to 3 Mill for the next three years...Which in reality is pretty cheap nowadays. Now is the time to pop on a trade for him.

Everyone on this board has been Clamoring for guys like Dubinsky and Immonen to get Legit shots. Well, now would be the time for them to get some serious third line Ice time. If we keep cullen there is little to no shot at that. We brought Cullen to be a Second line center which he is not. The time is right to cut loose.

P.S. If this is a precursor to souray i will punch a wall.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 12:37 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Id rather get rid of Malik over Mara, and replace him with Staal. I think if the rangers do make a deal to lower their cap, it will be on defense

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 12:41 PM
frankthefrowner

Id rather not trade any Defense. I'd be more inclined to trade a forward. You can replace forwards with a rookie much easier. Alot of young defensemen struggle right away. Not everyone pulls a Girardi.

Old
07-12-2007, 12:43 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

I suspect that Culen is one of a few players being shopped right now by Sather (Culklen, Mara, Malik, Prucha) to see what they could bring back in trade. I think this is anticipation of some great camp fights for positions that might make some of these players available. I think any trades involving this group will happen later.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 12:45 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Larry Brooks broached this topic last Sunday

Quote:
First-pair defenseman Marek Malik, who has one year at $2.5 million remaining, isn't likely to be dumped, even to make room for free agent Sheldon Souray. But if Marc Staal has a good enough camp, Sather probably will shop third-pair defenseman Paul Mara, who has one year at $3 million remaining.

Further, if the Rangers are wildly impressed in September by Artem Anisimov or Brandon Dubinsky, Sather could test the market on third-line center Matt Cullen, who has three years to go at $2.85 million per
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07082007...rry_brooks.htm

That was before Lundqvist got $4.25 million

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 12:46 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
P.S. If this is a precursor to souray i will punch a wall.
I wholeheartedly agree. I get the feeling that if the Rangers sign Souray (I don't think they will, so I'm not too worried) it'll be like Ozolinsh all over again.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 12:51 PM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
I wholeheartedly agree. I get the feeling that if the Rangers sign Souray (I don't think they will, so I'm not too worried) it'll be like Ozolinsh all over again.
With a ridiculous shot... Trust me the though of Souray on the power play makes me drool. But i just think his inabilitly to play d scares the crap out of me.