HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ways to watch the Flyers?

Old
07-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post

yes, i'd like fries with that.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Slingbox works well... in Scotland, though, I look forward to being able to watch on TV this season.

Center Ice makes sense.

As far as the major discussion... your degree only matters so much in life. Prove that you're smart, competent, etc. and someone will hire you. Now, if you want to work in a highly specialized industry, your degree will matter.

Most things in life aren't all that specialized and a moron is running the most powerful country in the world right now. That's not political, he literally isn't that smart... so just roll with it. Major in something you like and take the classes necessary to get yourself a gig.

I'm about to have a masters degree in history and I easily could get a gig doing a host of crap just based on the fact that I'm intelligent, etc.
Show off.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9teen7ty5 View Post
Show off.
i assume everyone is smart until they prove otherwise... however, history also teaches us that the vast majority of people will do something incredibly dumb on a regular basis.

like invade southeast asia.

but, in all seriousness, anyone that's an undergrad out there... stress about your degree way less than you do. that's the one thing no one seems to want to tell you in college. it doesn't friggin matter... get a degree in something that isn't bizarre and do well in what you're supposedly 'focusing' on and then you can spin that as you want.

5 years out of college people are doing all sorts of crap their degree has nothing to do with.

Old
07-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
i assume everyone is smart until they prove otherwise... however, history also teaches us that the vast majority of people will do something incredibly dumb on a regular basis.

like invade southeast asia.
Or Russia in the dead of winter.

Old
07-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Jester

Quote:
Or Russia in the dead of winter.
he invaded in summer. napoleon's problem wasn't the invasion of Russia... his problem was that he wasn't willing to turn around when it was apparent that his approach wasn't going to work... he kept going further and further, and then he had a problem.

Old
07-13-2007, 10:20 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:

I'm about to have a masters degree in history and I easily could get a gig doing a host of crap just based on the fact that I'm intelligent, etc.
...and obviously very modest as well.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 11:30 PM
letsgoflyers75

Send a message via AIM to letsgoflyers75 Send a message via MSN to letsgoflyers75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
he invaded in summer. napoleon's problem wasn't the invasion of Russia... his problem was that he wasn't willing to turn around when it was apparent that his approach wasn't going to work... he kept going further and further, and then he had a problem.
He may have been referring to Hitler?

letsgoflyers75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 11:41 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
...and obviously very modest as well.
i'm not sure saying, "i'm intelligent" is lack of modesty. in fact, "intelligence" is all relative. for example, you're intelligent in comparison to a rock -- not an insult, i'm just pointing out the semantics here.

however, i'm pretty comfortable with the claim that i'm intelligent.

Last edited by Jester: 07-14-2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old
07-14-2007, 11:43 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoflyers75 View Post
He may have been referring to Hitler?
that kicked off in June.

no one actually invades in winter... they just don't turn around quick enough when it becomes apparent that "Wow, Russia is really friggin big!"

Old
07-14-2007, 11:04 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
i'm not sure saying, "i'm intelligent" is lack of modesty. in fact, "intelligence" is all relative. for example, you're intelligent in comparison to a rock -- not an insult, i'm just pointing out the semantics here.

however, i'm pretty comfortable with the claim that i'm intelligent.
Good for you, I think self-confidence is an important attribute.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 11:18 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
I was talking about Hitler...

But, yes, I know all about Napoleon's mission into Russia and how his pride and obstinateness ultimately became his downfall.

Quote:
that kicked off in June.

no one actually invades in winter... they just don't turn around quick enough when it becomes apparent that "Wow, Russia is really friggin big!"
Did he really start the invasion in June? Eh, I'll take your word for it, history boy.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it and remember back to my modern European history class, I do remember the professor saying Hitler and co. invaded in June but underestimated how long such a serious endeavor would take.

Last edited by Amateur Hour: 07-14-2007 at 11:28 PM.
Old
07-15-2007, 05:05 AM
Jester

Quote:
I was talking about Hitler...

But, yes, I know all about Napoleon's mission into Russia and how his pride and obstinateness ultimately became his downfall.
Napoleon had a slew of issues... not the least of which was his obsession with defeating Britain... which was what produced the reason to invade Russia (Continental System). Strategically, he always went for the knock-out blow on his opponents, and Russia was the only country with the geography and, ultimately, the gumption to trade space for time against him and drag him away from his lines of communication.

Accounts of the retreat from Russia are simply amazing... As much of an outright disaster as that campaign was, in the end it simply proved how incredibly gifted that army was in all situations. The fact that any French soldiers survived at all is a remarkable testament to their abilities of sacrifice and perseverance under difficult conditions.

Quote:
Did he really start the invasion in June? Eh, I'll take your word for it, history boy.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it and remember back to my modern European history class, I do remember the professor saying Hitler and co. invaded in June but underestimated how long such a serious endeavor would take.
June 22nd, actually. Then, like Napoleon, stalled out near Moscow... one can make a serious argument that the couter-attack at Stalingrad was the turning point of WWII. Much like Napoleon, the belief in Blitzkrieg allowed them to believe that it would be a quick campaign and they'd be able to be settled by winter.

Even then, if Hitler hadn't been a moron... he could have salvaged the situation with a bit of a realistic approach to managing the situation.

Old
07-15-2007, 02:40 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
if you dont mind watching it over the internet:

http://myp2p.eu/NHL.htm

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2007, 02:57 PM
iceman42

I dont know if the poster is still looking for an option but here is a pretty cheap option and one I am thinking about using.

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/centerice_online.html

Its $43 if you dont have Center Ice, its $21.50 if you have Center Ice.

iceman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 08:46 AM
Hammerwise

Jester, how does it work? (slingbox)

I'm in London, but Center Ice OnLine is not available outside of NAmerica.

Hammerwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2007, 08:53 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerwise View Post
Jester, how does it work? (slingbox)

I'm in London, but Center Ice OnLine is not available outside of NAmerica.
you hook it up to a cable feed back home and it streams the feed over the internet, which you can watch in their software. you'd have to have a place to stick it where there is a TV feed of the game, however.