HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Construct Your Own Team...

Old
07-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Amateur Hour

vCash: 500
Construct Your Own Team...

I'm bored at work and trying to keep from falling asleep, so bear with me here.

Anyway, I got to thinking about which players I'd choose if I were charged with constructing an expansion NHL team and told I had an ownership-imposed salary cap of $30 million. To add another wrinkle, the team cannot have any NHL star on its roster. Here's a team I came up with that I think could still be competitive (ages going into 07/08 season are in parentheses):

F:
David Vyborny (32) - RW - $2.2 million
Petr Cajanek (31) - LW - $2 million
Daymond Langkow (31) - C - $2.442 million
Andrew Brunette (34) - LW - $1.6 million
Mike Fisher (27) - C - $1.5 million
Kyle Wellwood (24) - C/W - $950 k
Mike Grier (32) - RW - $1.775 million
Patrick Thoresen (24) - LW - $542,500
Clarke MacArthur (22) - LW - $625 k
Eric Belanger (29) - C - $1.75 million
Antti Miettinen (27) - RW - $600 k (currently unsigned, so this is an estimate)
Nick Tarnasky (22) - C - $500 k
Cam Janssen (23) - RW - $550 k

D:
Francois Beauchemin (27) - $1.65 million
Mike Van Ryn (28) - $3.2 million
James Wisniewski (23) - $800 k (currently unsigned, so this is an estimate)
Brent Burns (22) - $875 k
Lasse Kukkonen (26) - $850 k
Mark Eaton (30) - $1.6 million
Ole-Kristian Tollefsen (23) - $600 k

G:
Peter Budaj (25) - $700 k
Jaroslav Halak (22) - $500 k

Total payroll: $27.85 million

Brunette - Langkow - Vyborny

Three veterans who can create offense and put the puck in the net. Brunette had the quietest 83-point season EVER in 2006-2007.

Cajanek - Fisher - Wellwood

Blend of speed, offensive skill, and grit, with Mike Fisher leading the way.

MacArthur - Belanger - Grier

Shutdown line with 3 excellent forwards who can also go on the rush and turn defense into offense. Belanger's a very cerebral and underrated center, as well as a great face-off guy; MacArthur can skate like the wind and create on the fly; Grier is the ultimate glue-guy who provides all the intangibles and plays his butt off every shift.

Thoresen - Tarnasky - Miettinen

An energy line with some scoring ability. Tarnasky's a bundle of energy, plays with reckless abandon everytime out on the ice, and agitates the hell out of the opposition. Flanking him are two versatile, intelligent forwards with great hockey sense and two-way ability.

Janssen

The heavyweight.

Beauchemin - Van Ryn

This first-pairing has everything. Van Ryn's one of the most underrated defenseman in the league. He can move the puck with ease, owns a great point shot, dishes out devastating hits, and is a leader. Beauchemin, while a little undersized, uses his body well, owns one of the hardest shots in hockey, and plays within himself.

Eaton - Burns

Savvy veteran shot-blocker paired with a young and emerging, yet still very raw, force along the blueline who can do everything.

Kukkonen - Wisniewski

A highly intelligent, shot-blocking defensive defenseman with offensive skill (Kukkonen) paired with an aggressive, offensive defenseman (Wisniewski).

Tollefsen

Punisher.

Budaj

Underrated goalie who was solid in net for Colorado last season.

Halak

Emerging #1.

The one real knock I'd have on this team is that it doesn't have enough size up and down the lineup and could be considered fragile. Otherwise, given the cap limit, I feel I did a fairly solid job throwing together a roster. Flame away.

Also, feel free to add your own, if you're as bored as I am.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2007, 01:52 PM
flyersfan64*

i was thinking of what is the best team that you can create with salary cap. you have to stay under and can have as many stars as you want

flyersfan64* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 02:41 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
If that's the best you can do with 30 million that proves you can't build a good team with less than 40 million. No offense but that would be the worst team in the league.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 07:57 AM
facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
If that's the best you can do with 30 million that proves you can't build a good team with less than 40 million. No offense but that would be the worst team in the league.
I agree, you should probably get a new job.......and not as a GM awful lineup.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 08:07 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
I agree, you should probably get a new job.......and not as a GM awful lineup.
Then I guess it's a good thing I'm not a GM, eh?

By the way, put up or shut up.

Old
07-13-2007, 08:21 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
You could... you'd just have to stock it with young stars who are still playing under their rookie contracts (like Crosby, Ovechkin, Weber, Kopitar, Suter, Malkin, Stastny, Vlasic, Carle, Cammalleri, Getzlaf, Parise, Latendresse, Semin, Michalek, Pominville, Stempniak, Fleury) and a bunch of superstars who are still young but haven't yet gotten the superstar money contract (like Spezza, E. Staal, Whitney, Lundqvist). That wasn't exactly something I was looking to do because it's, well, boring.

Old
07-13-2007, 08:29 AM
jmtznr0th

For what it's worth I actually thought that it wasn't a bad looking team considering the rules that you have set forth. I can see why you didn't want to load your team with young stars on entry level contracts, i know i wouldn't want to it would ruin the fun.

By the way, I never really knew the rules about an expansion team. How do they decide the players they are allowed to choose from each team?

jmtznr0th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 08:44 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtznr0th View Post
For what it's worth I actually thought that it wasn't a bad looking team considering the rules that you have set forth. I can see why you didn't want to load your team with young stars on entry level contracts, i know i wouldn't want to it would ruin the fun.

By the way, I never really knew the rules about an expansion team. How do they decide the players they are allowed to choose from each team?
Thanks for giving the team a chance. I think that first line would actually be a force to be reckoned with... all 3 of Brunette, Langkow, and Vyborny are ridiculously underrated and finished with 83, 77, and 64 points, respectively, last season. I really like the second line I put together, just solid all around. The only thing I wasn't satisfied with was the 4th line... I probably should have put 2 more energy guys to flank Tarnasky, instead of wasting serviceable, two-way players like Thoresen and Miettinen. But whatever. Also, I'd take the Beauchemin-Van Ryn first pairing on defense over most in the league.

As for expansion teams... all teams in the league are allowed to "protect" a certain amount of players on their roster, and then submit a list of "unprotected" players that would be available to be selected in the expansion draft. Here are the rules for when Nashville came into the league in 1998:

The Predators were to select 26 players, one from each of the 26 existing franchises at the time of the draft.

First- and second-year pros were exempt from being selected in the draft. Each of the 26 franchises in the league were allowed to protect either one goaltender, five defensemen and nine forwards or two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards.

Of the unprotected players, each franchise had to include at least one forward and one defensemen who appeared in 40 games in the 1997-98 season. Each franchise also had to include at least one goaltender who appeared in 10 games in the 1997-98 season, and a minimum of 25 games since the 1995-96 season. These minimums for goaltenders were put into place in order to avoid manipulation of rosters, such as what occurred before the 1992 NHL Expansion Draft, which weakened the talent pool available in the draft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_NHL_Expansion_Draft

Old
07-13-2007, 08:45 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtznr0th View Post

Each team gets to select a certain number of players that are off limits and the expansion team gets to pick from the rest. I don't know the fine details of it - though I'm sure it's in the CBA if you care to look - but that's the gist of it.

edit: looks like I got beat to the punch

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 08:48 AM
jmtznr0th

Oh okay, thanks for the clarification.

jmtznr0th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 11:36 AM
flyersfan64*

by the way , croby isnt on an entry level contract anynmore i thoufgh or does it not kick in till after this yea

flyersfan64* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan64 View Post
by the way , croby isnt on an entry level contract anynmore i thoufgh or does it not kick in till after this yea
Kicks in starting 2008-2009; he'll still be playing under the terms of his rookie contract this upcoming season.

Old
07-13-2007, 12:19 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Kukkonen doesn't have much offensive skill. The lack of that is a big reason as to why he is so new to the NHL. He is one of the smartest finnish d-men around though, and thus makes good plays.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Kukkonen doesn't have much offensive skill. The lack of that is a big reason as to why he is so new to the NHL. He is one of the smartest finnish d-men around though, and thus makes good plays.
He seemed to show pretty solid offensive skills in Chicago when he was given a shot on the PP.