HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lupul

Old
07-14-2007, 06:19 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9teen7ty5 View Post
I'll be happy to lose the attitude if he shows he wants to do more on the ice than just play in the offensive zone.
Yeah, but don't you want goal scorers to score goals? I don't get why every coach thinks they need to turn a goal scorer into the second coming of Jere Lehtinen. It just doesn't work. Let your goal scorers do their job - score goals.

With that being said, Lupul wasn't that bad defensively when he was in Anaheim. To be perfectly honest, MacTavish just didn't have a clue on how to use Lupul.

I'll say this. I think Lupul rebounds and he rebounds huge. Call it gut feeling, but he's surrounded by friends and I think that's going to be a motivation to really play well and there's no reason why he won't be able to pot anywhere between 30 and 35 this year.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 06:51 AM
oilphan

No question Lupul can put the puck away when he gets an opportunity. His lack of success last year was a result of a) playing with no-one on his line who could get him the puck, and b) mailing it in a bit when things were not going his way. http://onveutlacoupe.blogspot.com/20...-club-pic.html
Yes, he may look a bit lazy when he plays, but he is the type of goal scorer who tries to find the holes behind the play. If he plays with someone who can get him the puck in these positions, you'll be happy with him.

oilphan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 10:24 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Unless Lupul can outshine Knuble, Upshall, Gagne, or Hartnell and earn first or second line minutes it isn't going to happen. I would not expect a third line winger to put up more than 40 pts a season.

Not to be rude but I think you are forgetting which "defensemen" we are talking about here... this is not Derian Hatcher, this is Joni Pitkanen an offensive defensemen and a very good one at that.

But you are right, Lupul is capable.
No, I only pointed that out because he was traded for Pitkanen. Joni's cheif skill was scoring. The big piece in the return for trading him was someone who won't score as much from a position where scoring should be easier. Not to mention we already have a similar player in Umberger. It's also already been said he's getting a spot on the second line. If he can't put up 60 points (about what Pitkanen would have had here on a second pairing and first PP unit), this trade was an absolute flop.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Yeah, but don't you want goal scorers to score goals? I don't get why every coach thinks they need to turn a goal scorer into the second coming of Jere Lehtinen. It just doesn't work. Let your goal scorers do their job - score goals.

With that being said, Lupul wasn't that bad defensively when he was in Anaheim. To be perfectly honest, MacTavish just didn't have a clue on how to use Lupul.

I'll say this. I think Lupul rebounds and he rebounds huge. Call it gut feeling, but he's surrounded by friends and I think that's going to be a motivation to really play well and there's no reason why he won't be able to pot anywhere between 30 and 35 this year.
the problem for Lupul is that statistically he didn't crash hard at all... his shooting pct was exactly the same. he just had a TON less shots on goal.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 12:07 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Another factor in Jofrey Lupul, there was alot of pressure on him in Edmonton mainly because of who he was traded for, and maybe just maybe they expected to much of him. With this team there shouldnt be alot of pressure on him. So what if he doesnt get back on defense, Briere wont either. Thats not their job. We have plenty of other forwards who can play defense to make up for it, and we have a much improved blueline as well. How many teams have 12 forwards that ALL get back and play defense? I am going to guess somewhere in the neighborhood of none.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeIsGoneDotCom View Post
Another factor in Jofrey Lupul, there was alot of pressure on him in Edmonton mainly because of who he was traded for, and maybe just maybe they expected to much of him. With this team there shouldnt be alot of pressure on him. So what if he doesnt get back on defense, Briere wont either. Thats not their job. We have plenty of other forwards who can play defense to make up for it, and we have a much improved blueline as well. How many teams have 12 forwards that ALL get back and play defense? I am going to guess somewhere in the neighborhood of none.
You have a point. How often do we hear about Crosby or Ovechkin's defense? Never. Because nobody cares as long as they're producing.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 01:26 PM
EasyMac

I am optimistic about Lupul. No matter what there is going to be some degree of dislike for him from most of us because of the trade, as I, like many, were not exactly thrilled with it (though I do love Smith).

He was under a lot of pressure in Edmonton, being arguably the center piece of the Pronger deal and being a home-town boy. Hopefully he will feel a bit less pressure here and step up his game. I think he also will improve defensively (though it would have been nice if we could have brought Hitchcock around as a consultant for that purpose) but in the end, his job is a goal scorer. If he is putting the puck in the net and not completely useless defensively then we should be happy with his play.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 02:01 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
can we move him to defense? then he might replace joni

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 07:09 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Does no press conference = trade bait?

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
You have a point. How often do we hear about Crosby or Ovechkin's defense? Never. Because nobody cares as long as they're producing.
If Lupul had anywhere near the skill and gaudy production as those two, you'd never hear anything about his defense, either. But, he's not Crosby or Ovechkin... he's Joffrey freakin' Lupul. He dogs it in 2 of the 3 zones, and when he's not producing offense, he's a useless waste of space on the ice.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 07:43 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
If Lupul had anywhere near the skill and gaudy production as those two, you'd never hear anything about his defense, either. But, he's not Crosby or Ovechkin... he's Joffrey freakin' Lupul. He dogs it in 2 of the 3 zones, and when he's not producing offense, he's a useless waste of space on the ice.
No, obviously he's not, but the point I was making was that not every player has to be good in all three zones. He obviously got where he is by scoring goals and that's what I'll expect of him here.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
No, obviously he's not, but the point I was making was that not every player has to be good in all three zones. He obviously got where he is by scoring goals and that's what I'll expect of him here.
As long as he actually scores goals, I won't care. But if he's struggling on offense, I want to at least see him make an effort to help the team in other ways and not sulk and dog it.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 08:19 PM
ChiTown Flyer

Why didn't Lupul get a press conference?

ChiTown Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown Flyer View Post
Why didn't Lupul get a press conference?
I think Homer isn't done doing his thing and Lupul will be gone before the season starts.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 01:42 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
I think Homer isn't done doing his thing and Lupul will be gone before the season starts.
I think you are reading too much into it. Timonen didn't have one either. That doesn't mean he is going to be traded.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 07:36 AM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
hard to have a conference from Finland

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 07:57 AM
Chuck Downie
(New Coach Sucks)

vCash: 460
The press conferences may not be over.

Chuck Downie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 08:17 AM
Flyers_01

Quote:
Yep. Even with the brain cramps the best player went to Edmonton.

Flyers_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 10:01 AM
martin27

I think Lupul may fit well. Everyone was prasing the line of Gagne - Carter - Upshall and with Gagne being on the top line they may see Lupul as a good replacement for Gagne on that line.

Upshall / Hartnell - Carter - Lupul ???

martin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 10:08 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
I dont disagree with that, but when has this organization and the fans of this team ever had the patience to have someone like that?

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 10:09 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin27 View Post
I think Lupul may fit well. Everyone was prasing the line of Gagne - Carter - Upshall and with Gagne being on the top line they may see Lupul as a good replacement for Gagne on that line.

Upshall / Hartnell - Carter - Lupul ???
I sure hope you are not comparing Gagne and Lupul. Yes, Lupul has the potential to score 30+ goals, but he is not even in the same universe as far as the rest of is play.

Old
07-15-2007, 10:10 AM
martin27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I sure hope you are not comparing Gagne and Lupul. Yes, Lupul has the potential to score 30+ goals, but he is not even in the same universe as far as the rest of is play.
I meant Gagne = Scorer Carter = Scorer worked together, so why cant Lupul and Carter work together

martin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 10:15 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin27 View Post
I meant Gagne = Scorer Carter = Scorer worked together, so why cant Lupul and Carter work together
Gotcha. Lupul doesnt seem to have the ability to carry the puck that Gagne shows (sometimes). I dont necessarily feel Lupul doesnt fit with Carter for that reason, I just dont think he fits period.

Old
07-15-2007, 10:15 AM
ChiTown Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
I think you are reading too much into it. Timonen didn't have one either. That doesn't mean he is going to be traded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iso Koivu View Post
The press conferences may not be over.
Good points.

ChiTown Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Cerebral

The problem with Lupul is that he needs to score a crapload of goals to make up for the numerous deficiencies in his game. I like the kid and I sincerely hope he has a decent rebound year in Philly but every Edmonton fan got an opportunity to watch him play numerous games last season and the Anson Carter comparison is eerily accurate.

My biggest problem with Lupul is that he literally couldn't do anything on the ice outside of put the puck in the net (and he unfortunately wasn't even doing that last season). He occasionally starts to think he's a solid stickhandler and he'll try and make a move on the defencemen at the blueline and the puck will typically always get stripped and turned around the other way.

One thing to watch for in Philly: Will Lupul get his shot off next season? Lupul has a very good (albeit combined with a slow wind-up) wrist-shot and he should be able to score a lot of goals in the NHL with it. He was constantly getting his shot blocked last season with the Oilers and this unfortunately made him next to useless.