HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: New Jersey Means New Jersey!

View Poll Results: Should "out of state" events in NJ be labeled NJ?
Yes 62 68.13%
No 29 31.87%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-07-2007, 01:20 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
OT: New Jersey Means New Jersey!

So I heard on the radio that this Live Earth thing in New York is going to be a big thing tomorrow. Except for one thing...it's in New Jersey. They've labeled it New York but I believe its in Giants Stadium. I heard today also that NJ senators are trying to push to make a bill where everything that takes place in NJ must be labeled so, because it makes the state look bad, and I agree. Just wanted to see your opinions, because factoring in if this gets passed, the NFL teams will technically need to be called the NJ Giants and NJ Jets.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 01:24 AM
Devs

As well they should be. Play in New York if you want New York in your name. That goes for the Jets, Giants, Red Bulls, and any other team. Unfortunately, there's no way to enforce what the NJ senators want to accomplish though.

Devs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 01:28 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devs View Post
As well they should be. Play in New York if you want New York in your name. That goes for the Jets, Giants, Red Bulls, and any other team. Unfortunately, there's no way to enforce what the NJ senators want to accomplish though.
Maybe not for the teams like that. But for events. I went to a Pearl Jam concert in Camden and they opened by saying "Hello Philadelphia." I just wanted to go "Eddie, wrong side of the river dude."

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 01:40 AM
ThirdEye

I say the person who owns the team can call his team whatever the hell he wants. I don't think anyone is going to lose sleep over something like this

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 01:40 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Dude... for one thing... calling Camden "Philly" is a compliment... Camden is dodgy, man.

Anyways, its a weird, and random argument... might as well stop calling the New England Patriots by that name, and start calling em Boston Pats, etc etc... San Fran Warriors... Miami Panthers... Raleigh Canes... whatevs.

Im drunk btw.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 01:41 AM
Devs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnightRU View Post
Maybe not for the teams like that. But for events. I went to a Pearl Jam concert in Camden and they opened by saying "Hello Philadelphia." I just wanted to go "Eddie, wrong side of the river dude."
It's the same principle though. The best example I can think of that resembles the situtation NJ is in would be Providence to Boston, but I doubt the same thing happens. If an event or a team is based in New Jersey (the Jets play in New Jersey... their offices may be based (formerly) at Hofstra, but they're based in New Jersey) then they should have New Jersey in their name.

I wish the West Side Stadium got built so this could be laid to rest.

Devs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 01:52 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
If this happens, do the Giants have to ditch their logo?

If so, I'm not in favor..one of the nicest uniforms in sports and I don't want to see it go..plus buy a bunch of new merchandise.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 01:57 AM
Casmatt

Quote:
That's funny, because last year I went to a Pearl Jam concert at Continental Airlines and on the back of the tour t-shirt it said "East Rutherford". I remember thinking, "they should just call it New York, or New Jersey". That said, on stage Eddie refered to it as New Jersey.

I hope they don't change the team names. I think I would have a hard time cheering for the New Jersey Jets. Although I'd probably just continue to refer to them as New York.

Casmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 02:01 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
That's true. I saw Green Day at Giants Stadium in September 2005 and Billie Joe screamed out "NEW JERSEY" several times throughout the night...although usually it was more like "NEW ****IN JERSEY!!!!!" - which made the crowd cheer even louder.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 02:02 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
In principle and as a NJ kid myself (shhhh, don't tell anyone), I agree; however, in practice, I don't think it's a good idea. The main reason that NJ attracted the Giants and the Jets over there in the first place is that they let them keep on calling themselves NY. I do agree with the principle that no teams should get public funds for their stadia, though, especially those not named New Jersey.

If the state senators really want to help anything, they should work on helping Newark's renewal.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 02:04 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
That's true. I saw Green Day at Giants Stadium in September 2005 and Billie Joe screamed out "NEW JERSEY" several times throughout the night...although usually it was more like "NEW ****IN JERSEY!!!!!" - which made the crowd cheer even louder.
I saw U2 at both the Continental Arena and at MSG a couple of years ago. As far as Bono and his pronouncements went, one concert was in New Jersey, the other in New York.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 02:12 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Yawn, time for bed.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 02:13 AM
GarretJoseph*

Jersey means Jersey except when you get the chance to call your team NEW YORK.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 02:59 AM
rickyrod

This is seriously what you sit around and think of?

Didn't Christie Todd Whitman try and do something like this years ago and basically get laughed at for it?

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 03:00 AM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
If the Jets change their name to New Jersey I might consider changing teams.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 09:19 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
So I heard on the radio that this Live Earth thing in New York is going to be a big thing tomorrow. Except for one thing...it's in New Jersey. They've labeled it New York but I believe its in Giants Stadium. I heard today also that NJ senators are trying to push to make a bill where everything that takes place in NJ must be labeled so, because it makes the state look bad, and I agree. Just wanted to see your opinions, because factoring in if this gets passed, the NFL teams will technically need to be called the NJ Giants and NJ Jets.
The Giants have a clause in their contract with the Meadowlands that ensures they will always be called the New York Giants.

07-07-2007, 09:52 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Let's be real here, why are all those arenas and staduims built across the rivers from NYC & Philly? Because the land was much, much cheaper in NJ and secondly, try advertizing a major event as "NJ" and then advertize the same event as "NY" and see what the response would be. The NY event would be sold out in 10 minutes, the NJ one would evenyually get sold out after everyone that wanted to see the same event in NY but couldn't get tickets make the decsion to travel to NJ.

Classic example:
NYR vs NJD
Which teams sells out, which team plays to half empty building, save when NYRs come in to play? Same holds true when Philly comes to NJ. Case closed.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
I usually hear events taking place at CAA be referred to as on the "Outskirts of Manhattan" or something..

Anyway I believe the Statue of Liberty is technically within NJ's borders but is always referred to as NY, so we're even.

Carlos Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 10:14 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
I usually hear events taking place at CAA be referred to as on the "Outskirts of Manhattan" or something..

Anyway I believe the Statue of Liberty is technically within NJ's borders but is always referred to as NY, so we're even.
lol how does the fact that the statue of liberty is yet ANOTHER thing in nj referred to as being in ny make it 'even'?? that makes it even more lopsided.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
lol how does the fact that the statue of liberty is yet ANOTHER thing in nj referred to as being in ny make it 'even'?? that makes it even more lopsided.
Well, one (giants stadium) is purposely marketed as NY, the statue has been disputed for many years with neither state having official ownership but 10/10 people will still say the statue is in NY, and probably 9/10 will say giants stadium is in NJ, but they know it's marketed as NY.

Old
07-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Devils Dominion
Zubrus Goal Drought

for you NYR fans who are NJ natives, how do you feel about your fellow NYR fans who talk so much crap about your home state. Leave out sports affilliations for a minute. doesn't it irk you at all?
i have a friend from Toms River who happens to be a Rangers fan but he is a very proud NJ resident, a Rutgers grad, works in NJ. He HATES it when people rag on NJ, I wonder if you feel this way or basically don't care or have no pride on where you are from.
On a side note, I was at a Devs-Rangers game at MSG a few years ago. During one of the intermissions, there was some sort of contest on the ice with a few Rangers fans.
The first contestant was from Staten Island, he was cheered. The 2nd contestant was instantly booed when he was announced from NJ, I believe Paramus, even though he was wearing a Leetch jersey. I just had to shake my head.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
One of the biggest inferiority complexs I've ever seen

Theoren Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsOwnYou View Post
for you NYR fans who are NJ natives, how do you feel about your fellow NYR fans who talk so much crap about your home state. Leave out sports affilliations for a minute. doesn't it irk you at all?
Not at all, this is a pretty horrible state and if I had the choice (money) I'd live in Manhattan or Brooklyn.
Growing up it was easy to get tix to Devils games, and CAA (Brendan Byrne) isn't far, so I went to many just to watch hockey, before I really understood rivalries.. and have no gripes about it. But MSG is still 100x better.

Old
07-07-2007, 11:18 AM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
it is kind of strange that something is held in NJ but labled as being in New York.... Like if you said the party was at your house but really it was at that guys house across the street. As odd as it is, I dont think it is worth causing much stink over... its been going on forever and will continue to go on forever...

Oh well, NJ will always be the dumpster of NY and all the other states. People come here for vacation, leave their crap, make a mess, and go home. I am proud to be a NJ native, even all the way out here in Ohio.

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 11:34 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

The problem with NJ is that it is located between two major cities, NY & Philly. NJ lacks a major city like Philly or NY. It is a suburb of both. Maybe with the NJDs going to Newark it will have a huge impact on the city. At one time Newark was a very good place to work & live, that was some 50-60 years ago. Maybe Newark could become like Baltimore.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote