HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFA signings = generating assets

Old
07-13-2007, 10:42 AM
n_a_c

vCash: 500
UFA signings = generating assets

Say we trade Cullen, Malik, or Pock. All of those players were UFA signings. Or we trade Mara, who was acquired by trading another UFA Ward. ANYTHING we get back for those players is free assets. If we get a 2nd round pick - we generated that 2nd round pick out of nothing.

Interesting concept.

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 10:55 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
The problem with this theory is players might think twice when deciding to sign here. No player wants to choose to play for a team only to have that team trade him.

07-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The problem with this theory is players might think twice when deciding to sign here. No player wants to choose to play for a team only to have that team trade him.
I disagree...

I think once a player hits free agency they have already...

signed an entry level contract

been qualified as an RFA

possibly have been taken or taken the team to arbitration

signed as an UFA with the Rangers after teams have bid for his services...

my point is 95% of the league moves around through free agency and trades. Players understand this is a business. Do you think players are going to not sign with the Rangers because they traded Aaron Ward 8 months after he signed a contract?

This is a business to these guys and a game to us fans...If a player thinks twice about signing here because he MIGHT get traded at some point then that player shouldnt' sign here..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 11:37 AM
BlairBettsBlocks

well if you have a family, and say you sign with boston, then in a few months they trade you to vancouver, you wouldnt be happy.

BlairBettsBlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Legs Feed the Wolf

you gotta be ****ing kidding me Matt Cullen is one of the best all around centers there is.. watch his hands , his skating abillity , penalty kills, and he can put the puck in the net , he is an amazing player and i would HATE for him to go, he helped carolina win the cup so he is awesome **** the people who think he should be traded cause thats totally wrong

Legs Feed the Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 12:01 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR 08' Cup Champs View Post
you gotta be ****ing kidding me Matt Cullen is one of the best all around centers there is.. watch his hands , his skating abillity , penalty kills, and he can put the puck in the net , he is an amazing player and i would HATE for him to go, he helped carolina win the cup so he is awesome **** the people who think he should be traded cause thats totally wrong
You should put a few more pucks in the net before you pat yourself so hard on the back, Matt...

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 12:31 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocks View Post
well if you have a family, and say you sign with boston, then in a few months they trade you to vancouver, you wouldnt be happy.
I remember the Bruins trading Scatchard for Tanabe after Scatchard signed with the Bruins 3 months ealier.

18-Nov-05: Boston Bruins traded Dave Scatchard to the Phoenix Coyotes for David Tanabe.
02-Aug-05: Signed as an unrestricted free agent by the Boston Bruins.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 02:53 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
I remember the Bruins trading Scatchard for Tanabe after Scatchard signed with the Bruins 3 months ealier.

18-Nov-05: Boston Bruins traded Dave Scatchard to the Phoenix Coyotes for David Tanabe.
02-Aug-05: Signed as an unrestricted free agent by the Boston Bruins.
That was the same Scatchard that turned down a Ranger offer that was supposedly higher .... mostly because of the Ranger losing ways.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Fletch

I think in most cases...

a guy signing with the Rangers would like to remain with the Rangers for the length of his contract, and perhaps even longer. Of course there are guys that just want the contract, and if traded, they may not care (depending on to where they are traded).

Back to the point, UFAs can become assets. Of course, they could be liabilities from day 1 they're signed too.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 03:03 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Exactly what I was going to say.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 03:03 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
i think people wanna stay wherever they go in most cases- especially if they come to the Rangers because you are in New York City which is one of, if not the biggest, hockey hubs in the US and in the whole NHL.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Prucha25Graves988*

i ALWAYS LIKED sCATCHARD,THOUGHT HE WOULD HAVE BEEN A GREAT 3RD LINER, AND WOULD EASILY HELP FILL IN THE 2ND LINE ROLE IF NEEDED, NOT NO MORE, PROBABLY BUT A COUPLE YEARS AGO I FELT THAT WAY.

Prucha25Graves988* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 04:06 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha25Graves988 View Post
i ALWAYS LIKED sCATCHARD,THOUGHT HE WOULD HAVE BEEN A GREAT 3RD LINER, AND WOULD EASILY HELP FILL IN THE 2ND LINE ROLE IF NEEDED, NOT NO MORE, PROBABLY BUT A COUPLE YEARS AGO I FELT THAT WAY.
Take off the caps lock, please.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2007, 06:39 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
I could go without youre screen name in here. Talk about a jinx...

F the people who think he should be traded?

Who are you? This is a public forum - for passionate rangers fans, everyone has the right to their opinons and should discuss them appropriately - something you have to learn how to do if you are going to have others actually read and respond to yours.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 07-13-2007 at 06:44 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 12:02 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_a_c View Post
Say we trade Cullen, Malik, or Pock. All of those players were UFA signings. Or we trade Mara, who was acquired by trading another UFA Ward. ANYTHING we get back for those players is free assets. If we get a 2nd round pick - we generated that 2nd round pick out of nothing.

Interesting concept.
Crappy reason to sign UFAs. You don't bring someone into the organization to trade them, you sign them to improve your team in the near future, not to trade them for assets who will be NHL ready in 4-6 years, if ever.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2007, 06:08 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

The only thing amazing about Matt Cullen is that, for someone who reported to be such a good skater, the amount of times he ends up on his butt without being hit. He's a solid player, but hardly amazing.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote