Notices

Pasi Nurminen..

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2004, 06:45 AM
The Jerk

vCash: 500
Pasi Nurminen..

has struggled a bit lately, and Dafoe has been getting more playing time..is there any chance that Dafoe would be given a string of consecutive starts to show that he can still be a number one man?? Keep in mind how well he played just two seasons ago, I mean Nabokov just seems to be regaining his old form, and Dafoe signed even later then Nabby did last year, let me know what you guys think..

Old
01-03-2004, 02:14 AM
thrashers77

vCash:
[QUOTE=vik]has struggled a bit lately, and Dafoe has been getting more playing time..is there any chance that Dafoe would be given a string of consecutive starts to show that he can still be a number one man?? Keep in mind how well he played just two seasons ago, I mean Nabokov just seems to be regaining his old form, and Dafoe signed even later then Nabby did last year, let me know what you guys think...[QUOTE]

I think Nurminen is the right man to tend for the Thrashers, he has had some phenomonal matches this season and Dafoe has already shown weakness. Our backup goalie should be Kari Lethonen, he has had a great time back at the AHL and should be getting more icetime in the lineup. I think even due to the Senators match Nurminen should get credit for his work so fatr in the season. Anyways it's not like we have a goalie problem or anything.............

Old
01-03-2004, 05:49 AM
Skylab

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashers77
Our backup goalie should be Kari Lethonen, he has had a great time back at the AHL and should be getting more icetime in the lineup.
Why would you want Lehtonen backing up in the NHL instead of playing a lot and adjusting to North America in the AHL. Seems like a much better move for the future to leave him where he is for this year...

Old
01-04-2004, 10:22 AM
thrashers77

vCash:
I do agree, but at the moment we have four choices. We can go with the weak goalie Hurme as backup, I find this unthinkable because of Hurme's lack of skill. That leaves us with two, Dafoe or Lethonen. Dafoe would seem to be the right choice due to Lethonen's young age and need to develop in the farmers.

But Dafoe just isn't the goalie he used to be (infact he never has been really good) and up to now i would say that Lethonen is better. Dafoe is one of those i really wonder if the Thrashers really need. I mean, he is a fair goalie but we have five reasonable goalies in Pasi, Kari, Byron, Jani and Cassivi. It's up to our respected coach Hartley to decide afterall. Allthough Nurminen will be getting tired of all these games and is going to need a backup. In my opinion this has to be Lethonen or Dafoe.

But as you said Skylab Lethonen needs time at the farmers, so.... I dont know

Old
01-04-2004, 01:44 PM
Skylab

I think the Thrashers pretty much locked themselves into letting Dafoe play for the 2 years. I really doubt they find anyone to take him off their hands. That said, I'd continue to let him and Pasi battle it out.
If Pasi is your starter, I still think the team is better off letting Dafoe be the guy to push him and play when he deserves it, while Kari stays in the AHL.

the one thing I would disagree with thrashers 77 about is Hurme. Hurme has shown that he is a very solid back-up who can push a starter. The reason he isn't your best bet as 1b with Pasi right now is not his play but his health.

Old
01-05-2004, 05:44 AM
thrashers77

vCash:
I agree with the Dafoe thing, not because of the skills, but the fact that Kari still needs AHL time. Kari will develop and in a couple of years he will hopefully be good enough to take Pasi's spot.

But Hurme, he just isn't good enough, including the vicious fact that he is out of health. He will need rebuilding time when he gets back and would in my opinion serve better for another team than the thrash. Therefore i would like to see him traded as fast as he recovers from injury. Afterall we do need a scoring wing.............

Old
01-06-2004, 06:18 AM
Hockey Mojo

Do not expect Hurme to play for the Thrashers this season!

Old
01-07-2004, 07:22 PM
brad1698

vCash:
Bottom line is that the thrashers are were playing Pasi way too much and he needs to have Dafoe takign some games to make him most effective in the long run

Old
01-16-2004, 09:39 AM
The Jerk

looks like Hartley may be going with Dafoe now, he's looked very good lately..

Old
01-26-2004, 10:37 AM
SwisshockeyAcademy

I fully disagree with the statement of Hurme lacking skills. The man has proven at every turn to be a capable goaltender at the NHL level. he was also Finland's starter at the Olympics and performed admirably. A healthy Hurme would be a better backup option than Dafoe. One thing that is clear right now is the fact Nurminen needs to see fairly regular rest. A breakdown of 55 - 27 would be appropriate, provided the reserve goaltending is good enough.

Old
01-26-2004, 10:51 AM
psycho_dad

I also agree that Hurme is by no means a weak goalie, could very well be better than Dafoe when he is healthy. But Hurme is not going to play this year, if ever again. Doctors are trying to solve what is wrong with him. Cancer has not been ruled out, he has something in his spine but they cant determine what it is.

Old
01-28-2004, 12:52 AM
dunwoody_joe

I wonder if the Thrashers can petition the NHL to get their draft choice back (or reinstated) on the Herme trade.

Probably not, but it seems that the trade was made on bad faith. At the very least, DW and scouts could not have possibly known the extent of the problem. Hopefully Herme can come back (for his own sake) but for the Thrashers, it seems they wasted a #4 pick.

Closed Thread