HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Doug Maclean Done as Coach!

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2004, 07:33 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Doug Maclean Done as Coach!

http://www.bluejackets.com/news/press/arts/1799.0.html

Best of Luck to Mr. Gallant.

Old
01-01-2004, 07:33 AM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Yippee!!!

A fantastic late Christmas present.

Old
01-01-2004, 08:03 AM
Matt Foley*

So much for DM staying on as coach until the Jackets win the Stanley Cup, like he said he would do when he announced that he would be the permanent coach back in June. That statement he made scored a 1 out of 10 on the Believability Scale with me when he made it.

Something had to be done, given the direction the team was headed in.

Old
01-01-2004, 08:11 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=66341

You beat me to it! Damn You!!

Lucky you're in the Eastern Time Zone and get up two hours before I do.

Excellent news for the Jackets, and I can't wait to see what the new year brings in terms of results.

Though talk about sticking in a new coach at a bad time...starting a 7 game roadtrip.

Doug trying to prove a point?

Old
01-01-2004, 08:25 AM
jacketracket*

Wonder how much debate went on over going w/Gallant or Brown?

Or going off the board, and bringing in Dineen?

Old
01-01-2004, 08:27 AM
brianhatesu

Send a message via AIM to brianhatesu
I wish they would have looked somewhere else for a replacement. I mean Doug wasn't coaching this team by himself.

Old
01-01-2004, 08:31 AM
3mta3

A little faith restored in the organization. Happy New Year to us all.

The interim tag looks beautiful next to Mr. Gallant's name. We know this season is not going to amount to much for us, and we're free to move in the best direction available as things shake out down the stretch.

This feels very good.

Old
01-01-2004, 08:36 AM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

I like the idea of getting Dineen in the mix, myself. If nothing else, this guy has heart to spare and it's hard to imagine him not getting his fair share of respect from the squad. I would think the "motivational factor" would be the number one asset to a coach. Just my opinion, though.

Old
01-01-2004, 08:39 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Wish he would have done this a year ago when Bob Hartley still was available. Oh well...

John Buccigross' most recent column suggests the ever-popular Lindy Ruff, which inspires little confidence in me.

Old
01-01-2004, 08:56 AM
CBJSlash

Greatly relieved that he decided to step away from coaching rather than get fired from GM and Prez also. He is a great GM and hopefully a quality coach is to be had next year.

Old
01-01-2004, 09:08 AM
Mack45

Hopefully this is the beginning of a big housecleaning among nonproductive players as well!
The rest of the year should be used to analyse the players and coaches.
I am not giving up on my team, but maybe something good can come out of this disastrous season!

Hopefully we can trade some of our veterans: Wright, Sanderson, etc. for some draft picks or young prospects. Anybody know how good the 2004 draft looks? Do we need to trade so we can get a 2nd round pick back?

KEEP THE FAITH GUYS! HOPEFULLY THIS YEAR IS JUST A BUMP IN THE ROAD TOWARD REPECTABILITY!

Old
01-01-2004, 11:47 AM
jackets63

Glad to hear it. The way things were going, if he didnt step down, he might have lost all three jobs, which wouldnt have been good.

I think Gallant will be a good coach. He definately wont be afraid to kick guys in the a$$ when they dont perform.

Old
01-01-2004, 11:53 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackets63
Glad to hear it. The way things were going, if he didnt step down, he might have lost all three jobs, which wouldnt have been good.

I think Gallant will be a good coach. He definately wont be afraid to kick guys in the a$$ when they dont perform.
I'm not overly familiar with his coaching tactics or tendancies...

Would you be able to offer insight?

Old
01-01-2004, 12:57 PM
jackets63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers
I'm not overly familiar with his coaching tactics or tendancies...

Would you be able to offer insight?
I just know he has an agressive personality and that this team has played some of its better hockey at points when MacLean was away for one reason or another.

Anyone remember who it was he almost got into it with from the other team last year?

Old
01-01-2004, 01:23 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Gotta love this quote from Gallant in the Dispatch:

"We're playing under expectations right now," Gallant said. "A lot of guys aren't playing as good as they can play. I want guys playing better than they're expected to play.

"I'm a meat and potatoes kind of guy. If you're working hard, you'll have no trouble with me. If you're slacking, then we'll have a little chat."

I've gotta believe we'll see some changes under this guy.

j63--Gallant was involved in that stunt that the Rangers pulled at the end of the game at Nationwide. He and Trottier were going at it pretty good on the bench.

Old
01-01-2004, 01:58 PM
CBJSlash

I've always like Gallant. I don't know if he is head coach material, but hey you never know he may be just what the team needs, a hard nosed NHL vet who sticks up for teammates.

Old
01-02-2004, 01:05 AM
TBJF
Brick by Ga-borik

Send a message via AIM to TBJF Send a message via Yahoo to TBJF
I would have liked to have seen the team go outside the current staff to find a fresh vision/voice, but that would hardly make sense with half-a-season left and a lockout looming. So I guess Gallant is the right guy.

This has to burn Doug's ego, and I think he deserves a smidgen of credit for making the move. I thought Doug as coach a was a good idea, but it just wasn't working.

Nothing against Dineen, but Gallant has paid some dues in the coaching ranks and has earned his shot.

I guess I'll watch this afternoon's game after all.

Edit:sp

Old
01-02-2004, 02:46 AM
TBJF
Brick by Ga-borik

Send a message via AIM to TBJF Send a message via Yahoo to TBJF
Reading the Dispatch coverage, I noticed the following quote by our normally mild-mannered netminder, Marc Denis:
"I’m sure if you asked Tyler (Wright) or (Geoff Sanderson) or the guys who have been here since the start, not only are we looking forward to that, but we’re sick and tired of losing. We’re sick and tired of the same old broken record.

"We’re ready for something new, something different. And I strongly believe everything we need is in (the dressing room) right now."
Unless I missed something, this is the first time Denis has said anything this forcefull. This could be a good omen.

Old
01-02-2004, 12:32 PM
viking 88

vCash:
About time

Just about time DM realised he was the wrong man in the wrong place in this organization.It's a pity he was able to get rid of the 2 most important players for future success ; Whitney and Espo.You need creative players that can make other players good,too.You can't build a team on the same type of players only...you need a certain balance in the team,so you need a couple of playmakers that are able to hold on to the puck with a certain patience. You need chemistry in the team.You can't change the lines every other night so that none of them get the time to produce anything together before they're shaken and stirred once again. DM was an expert in doing so,thus making a lot of players full of fear....feeling the pressure for not producing enough.All athletes needs to have confidence and feel secure to produce at their highest level.Right now this team is not clicking,the points we get are more a result of good individual efforts(Nash,Vyborny..).
That's why this team is unable to produce some stability(one good game,three bad games and so on....)
The idea of having your GM as Head Coach I think is a factor that only will remind the players of this pressure.
Gallant need to take the the pressure off the players now,give them their confidence back,then the results will come.
Meanwhile back in Europe all the top clubs were lining up trying to get Espo...Djurgaarden of the Swedish Elite,who signed him couldn't believe their luck..they got back the man who smashed Peter Forsberg's records in the Swedish playoffs...by margin !!!!

Old
01-02-2004, 03:22 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Given where the your team stands now with him behind the bench the whole season, I give Mac high marks for doing the right thing for the team. It must have been very hard from an ego standpoint to step aside.

That doesn't mean I want you guys creeping up in the standings, mind you....

Old
01-02-2004, 03:23 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrocketman
Given where the your team stands now with him behind the bench the whole season, I give Mac high marks for doing the right thing for the team. It must have been very hard from an ego standpoint to step aside.

That doesn't mean I want you guys creeping up in the standings, mind you....
Dont worry, you're safe!

Old
01-03-2004, 04:48 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Posted by Mr. Foley in our original fire DM debate:
Rick Bowness, the original coach of the modern-day Senators, was fired in January of the team's fourth season. Jacques Martin, one of Bowness' assistants, took over and has kept the job since.

I knew the situation sounded familiar....

Closed Thread