HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

New Cities

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2003, 07:43 PM
BoBo9196

vCash: 500
New Cities

Does anyone know of any cities looking to get a hockey team if a team is forced to move?

Thanks in advance

Old
12-24-2003, 01:20 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
portland
seatle

Old
12-24-2003, 06:24 AM
Le Golie

Winnipeg will have a brand new barn ready for next season. There's a lot of talk about the possibility of the NHL returning sometime in the future.

www.jetsowner.com

Old
12-24-2003, 08:28 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Cherry
Winnipeg will have a brand new barn ready for next season. There's a lot of talk about the possibility of the NHL returning sometime in the future.

www.jetsowner.com
Um....pipe dream. On top of it the cletuses built an arena with 15000 seat capacity. An even further reason that the chances of going back to the 'Peg are...survery says......

EEEEEIIIIIIIINNNNN!!! ZERO.

Old
12-24-2003, 08:55 AM
kacz

Isn't that the arena for the WHA Franchise in Winnipeg?

Old
12-24-2003, 09:03 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Thug

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:

www.jetsowner.com
You're more likley to see a franchise in europe before one goes to Winnipeg or Quebec City.

The Most likley place in Canada to get another team, would be a 2nd team to Toronto, if Leafs Owners would agree to it.

Old
12-24-2003, 09:54 AM
YellHockey*

Quote:

www.jetsowner.com
The only talk is by the crackhead who created that site and his fellow junkies.

For god's sake, the guy thinks a new CBA is going to bring Winnipeg back in the NHL. Maybe the new CBA will put a chicken in every pot across North America at the same time.

Old
12-24-2003, 11:24 AM
Mark Pavelich

Send a message via AIM to Mark Pavelich
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyMeatWhistle
The only talk is by the crackhead who created that site and his fellow junkies.

For god's sake, the guy thinks a new CBA is going to bring Winnipeg back in the NHL. Maybe the new CBA will put a chicken in every pot across North America at the same time.
I know nothing about the new arena or attempts to bring a team back to Winnipeg but I must say it is a damn shame that they do not have a team while a place like Carolina does.

Old
12-24-2003, 12:11 PM
ping

I still don't know if they could make it work with a smaller arena. The Winnipeg club argues that the American teams average around half capacity or a third capacity. However they can afford to do that because of looser tax laws and the stronger American dollars. Canadian teams need to sell out their buildings to be a success. One other factor is the corporate support. I'm not an expert but I don't think there are many big companies operating out of Winnipeg.

I do wish they could get back into the NHL though.

Old
12-24-2003, 02:37 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Pavelich
I know nothing about the new arena or attempts to bring a team back to Winnipeg but I must say it is a damn shame that they do not have a team while a place like Carolina does.

You ever been to a game in Raleigh? I went to a meaningless game in March vs Buffalo last season and the parking lot was packed with tailgaters, almost everyone in the arena had a Canes jersey and it was a pretty strong crowd (16,000ish). I've got no problem with that market.

I'm not really sure what new market could support an NHL team, there aren't enough hockey markets in the league to begin with. Houston or Seattle maybe?

Old
12-24-2003, 09:35 PM
Mark Pavelich

Send a message via AIM to Mark Pavelich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007
You ever been to a game in Raleigh? I went to a meaningless game in March vs Buffalo last season and the parking lot was packed with tailgaters, almost everyone in the arena had a Canes jersey and it was a pretty strong crowd (16,000ish). I've got no problem with that market.

I'm not really sure what new market could support an NHL team, there aren't enough hockey markets in the league to begin with. Houston or Seattle maybe?
Use to have seasons when I lived there, They are second to last in attendance averaging about 12,000 a game. I am biased and still don't think they should have a team.

Old
12-27-2003, 12:18 PM
Jets4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JovOhlund
I still don't know if they could make it work with a smaller arena. The Winnipeg club argues that the American teams average around half capacity or a third capacity. However they can afford to do that because of looser tax laws and the stronger American dollars. Canadian teams need to sell out their buildings to be a success. One other factor is the corporate support. I'm not an expert but I don't think there are many big companies operating out of Winnipeg.

Call me crazy but I think Winnipeg has a much better chance of bringing the NHL back than people think if the lockout lasts over a year.

Lets get to corporate support now. Every company in Winnipeg would jump at a chance of bringing the Jets back to Winnipeg. The city still moans the Jets, and have never accepted the AHL Moose as a repacement. Look no further than Denver,CO or Minneapolis-St Paul for an idea of cities that didnt realize what they had until it was lost.

Remember in 1972, everyone laughed if you said Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Quebec would have NHL teams before the end of the decade, but it became reality. If the lockout lasts 18 months or more (which I think it will), the NHL will be desperate to move teams to Saskatoon, let alone Winnipeg.

Old
12-29-2003, 10:45 AM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life
If the lockout lasts 18 months or more (which I think it will), the NHL will be desperate to move teams to Saskatoon, let alone Winnipeg.
Maybe I am missing something, but why would teams in strong markets, i.e. Detroit, Toronto….. be supported during a lockout. People aren’t going to but tickets to watch an empty ice surface and there will be no revenue, regardless of the market.

Old
12-30-2003, 11:52 AM
Jets4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007
The Hurricanes just played Buffalo last night. They won 2-1. Announced attendance: 9, 500 (or 50% capacity).

Old
12-30-2003, 12:08 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Call me crazy but I think Winnipeg has a much better chance of bringing the NHL back than people think if the lockout lasts over a year.

Lets get to corporate support now. Every company in Winnipeg would jump at a chance of bringing the Jets back to Winnipeg. The city still moans the Jets, and have never accepted the AHL Moose as a repacement. Look no further than Denver,CO or Minneapolis-St Paul for an idea of cities that didnt realize what they had until it was lost.

Remember in 1972, everyone laughed if you said Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Quebec would have NHL teams before the end of the decade, but it became reality. If the lockout lasts 18 months or more (which I think it will), the NHL will be desperate to move teams to Saskatoon, let alone Winnipeg.
Nice to see an optimist in the crowd but it was poor thinking by the designer to build a 15 000 seat arena without the similar NHL design to maximize revenue. The NHL will NEVER be desparate to move to Winnipeg or Saskatoon. While I don't deem it impossible, but like I have said before, after....

Portland, Seattle, Houston, San Diego, San Francisco and many other cities....Winnipeg might get considered.

But on top of it, I heard the guy from Winnipeg on FAN590 and he said that the building wasn't designed to be expanded. I think they are dead in the water....for decades at least.

Old
12-30-2003, 09:15 PM
The Rage

Quote:

If the lockout lasts 18 months or more (which I think it will), the NHL will be desperate to move teams to Saskatoon, let alone Winnipeg.
Let me make this clear. Before the NHL gets that desperate, they'll end the lockout.

Old
12-31-2003, 04:11 AM
Jets4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
Let me make this clear. Before the NHL gets that desperate, they'll end the lockout.
...want to wage money on that?

Old
12-31-2003, 08:36 AM
The Rage

Quote:
...want to wage money on that?
It's simple logic. If the lockout becomes a monumental problem, they'll end it. They have the right to do that.

Old
12-31-2003, 09:13 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
The NHL is also more likely to contract teams than expand.

Old
01-01-2004, 07:45 AM
fcbarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by JovOhlund

you hit the nail on the head there buddy. winnipeg doesn't have enough corporate support and looser tax laws. the NHL coming back to Winnipeg is a pipe dream in the near future. maybe in 20 years though

Yours respectfully,
Winnipegger

Old
01-01-2004, 08:05 AM
Jets4Life

I agree that Winnipeg getting an NHL team is a longshot, but the more I think about it, the more I am convinced it is a definite possiblility. You must look at the Colorado and Minnesota franchises. Both cities had NHL teams that moved because of no corporate support, and a weak fan base. People realized in a few years that they took the North Stars/Rockies for granted. When the NHL returned a decade later, it was the hottest ticket in town.

This is exactly what will happen if the NHL returns to Winnipeg. We have a new arena, corporations that would bend over backwards to support a Winnipeg NHL team because of the gulit associated with not supporting the Jets when they were here. It would be next to impossible to get a ticket for an NHL game, especially in a 15 100 seat arena.

I can't wait until the lockout begins. Sure I will miss watching all my favorite NHL players and teams, but I know in the longrun, it will be beneficial to the NHL and drive down players salaries. Hopefully, it will also drive Bettman out of a job, and relocate teams in markets like Carolina, Nashville, and Anaheim to Winnipeg, Quebec, and Hartford!

Old
01-01-2004, 09:05 AM
fcbarcelona

Quote:
I agree that Winnipeg getting an NHL team is a longshot, but the more I think about it, the more I am convinced it is a definite possiblility. You must look at the Colorado and Minnesota franchises. Both cities had NHL teams that moved because of no corporate support, and a weak fan base. People realized in a few years that they took the North Stars/Rockies for granted. When the NHL returned a decade later, it was the hottest ticket in town.

This is exactly what will happen if the NHL returns to Winnipeg. We have a new arena, corporations that would bend over backwards to support a Winnipeg NHL team because of the gulit associated with not supporting the Jets when they were here. It would be next to impossible to get a ticket for an NHL game, especially in a 15 100 seat arena.

I can't wait until the lockout begins. Sure I will miss watching all my favorite NHL players and teams, but I know in the longrun, it will be beneficial to the NHL and drive down players salaries. Hopefully, it will also drive Bettman out of a job, and relocate teams in markets like Carolina, Nashville, and Anaheim to Winnipeg, Quebec, and Hartford!
just to let you know, avalanche games are sold out due to huge corporate support which the was not there previously. what businesses in winnipeg could actually support an NHL team? im curious to know

Old
01-01-2004, 08:03 PM
The Rage

There's one thing, and really only one thing, that Winnipeg needs to have a team again: a rich owner willing to make it happen. With that, they honestly need nothing else, but without it, they have no chance of getting a franchise. Does such a person exist? I have no idea.

Old
01-02-2004, 08:51 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
if they put a team in winnipeg it's just to block the new WHA

Old
01-02-2004, 09:12 AM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmour's Way
if they put a team in winnipeg it's just to block the new WHA
The WHA has nothing to do with it. They're not even remotely considering Winnipeg in their strategy.

The AHL Moose have already secured exclusive hockey tenancy in the arena.

Closed Thread