HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Any golfers here?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-26-2011, 08:46 AM
  #251
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,824
vCash: 50
Supposed to be hitting up 18 today after work, if the weather holds...which it isn't supposed to.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 07:11 PM
  #252
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,824
vCash: 50
Only got 9 holes in as well as getting soaked. Still fired a 41 with a triple on 9 with the rain pouring down. Haha.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 10:53 AM
  #253
WickedWrister
Registered User
 
WickedWrister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 4,812
vCash: 500
Haha I like how this thread is still being used, this was my banned account from like 4 years ago.

Anyway, I was never any good and I played my first round in like 4 years, and I shot a 60 on the front 9. Once I got the hang of things I shot a 45 on the back 9. Not too shabby.

My problem is I slice every. single. drive. My irons are rock solid, I can hit those straight as an arrow but for the life of me I cant hit a wood straight. I could probably shoot in the 80's if I could just flatten out my drive.

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 11:25 AM
  #254
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWrister View Post
Haha I like how this thread is still being used, this was my banned account from like 4 years ago.

Anyway, I was never any good and I played my first round in like 4 years, and I shot a 60 on the front 9. Once I got the hang of things I shot a 45 on the back 9. Not too shabby.

My problem is I slice every. single. drive. My irons are rock solid, I can hit those straight as an arrow but for the life of me I cant hit a wood straight. I could probably shoot in the 80's if I could just flatten out my drive.
Could be as simple as not having a driver that is fitted properly for your swing.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:01 PM
  #255
Brunomics
Registered User
 
Brunomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Medford
Country: United States
Posts: 5,431
vCash: 500
hey guys I have a question, I'm a newbie golfer(usually shooting between 110-120 right now) and I'm looking to get a new iron set because I'm using my gf's fathers' old crappy iron set. I've narrowed it down between the Nike Ignite 3 iron set and the Taylor Made Burner Plus. I've read all the reviews online and they are positive for each but I was hoping if anyone can help me out here.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:28 PM
  #256
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
hey guys I have a question, I'm a newbie golfer(usually shooting between 110-120 right now) and I'm looking to get a new iron set because I'm using my gf's fathers' old crappy iron set. I've narrowed it down between the Nike Ignite 3 iron set and the Taylor Made Burner Plus. I've read all the reviews online and they are positive for each but I was hoping if anyone can help me out here.
Personally for game improvement clubs I wouldn't look any further than any of the Wilson Staff Di series.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:45 PM
  #257
Go For It
Registered User
 
Go For It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Collegeville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,156
vCash: 500
Hey guys.

I've decided that I want to learn how to play golf this summer. I work at a little family owned golf course and can play for free, so I figure I might as well take advantage of it.

I figure I'd start by finding a set of clubs, but I have no clue where to look and about how much I should spend. I'm not looking for a great set of clubs or anything, just something I can use to learn how to play.

About how much should I look to spend on a set of clubs, and should pre-owned clubs be something I look into, or should I just buy a new set?

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:53 PM
  #258
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
Hey guys.

I've decided that I want to learn how to play golf this summer. I work at a little family owned golf course and can play for free, so I figure I might as well take advantage of it.

I figure I'd start by finding a set of clubs, but I have no clue where to look and about how much I should spend. I'm not looking for a great set of clubs or anything, just something I can use to learn how to play.

About how much should I look to spend on a set of clubs, and should pre-owned clubs be something I look into, or should I just buy a new set?
Collegeville? Would that be Turtle Creek that you work at?

Without knowing how tall you are it's tough to make a recommendation. But for a beginner a really good starter set would be any of the wilson staff di series. You can get a used set on eBay for under 200.

I live in blue bell and would be happy to help you out if you like.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:54 AM
  #259
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,824
vCash: 50
Hittin up 18 this morning. Insanely hot outside!

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 05:03 PM
  #260
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,824
vCash: 50
Fired a 43 on the front, 39 on the back for an 82. Three birdies but also 3 doubles. Coulda been so much better. Will get my revenge on Saturday.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:58 PM
  #261
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,824
vCash: 50
Most frustrating round of the year today.

Fired a -1, 35 on the front nine. The best 9 holes of my life.

Parred 10 and 11, then proceeded to play the last 7 holes at 7 over par.

Ended up with a 78, one shot back of my personal record of +5. Talk about maddening.

Also ended up breaking my 3 wood over my knee. First time I've ever done that. Oh well, only like a 30-40 dollar fix.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 04:31 PM
  #262
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Most frustrating round of the year today.

Fired a -1, 35 on the front nine. The best 9 holes of my life.

Parred 10 and 11, then proceeded to play the last 7 holes at 7 over par.

Ended up with a 78, one shot back of my personal record of +5. Talk about maddening.

Also ended up breaking my 3 wood over my knee. First time I've ever done that. Oh well, only like a 30-40 dollar fix.
30-40 dollars? What shaft do you have in there that costs so little before the cost of a grip and installation?

What happened to you that round is not uncommon not just for amateurs but pros as well. You know you are playing really well and you probably started to think about your score. Dr Bob Rotella's book "You're 15 Club" talks about this phenomenon and is a very good read if you haven't already read it.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:55 PM
  #263
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,824
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
30-40 dollars? What shaft do you have in there that costs so little before the cost of a grip and installation?

What happened to you that round is not uncommon not just for amateurs but pros as well. You know you are playing really well and you probably started to think about your score. Dr Bob Rotella's book "You're 15 Club" talks about this phenomenon and is a very good read if you haven't already read it.
Was a guess on the club-grip cost. My buddy breaks a ton of clubs and told me that's all it costs to have it done. Never had to do it before.

And it wasn't really that I was thinking about the score. I like to think I'm pretty mentally strong when it comes to athletics as I rarely even get nervous for anything. I think it was just that I doubled the third hole on the back nine and I lost some confidence. Also burned 3-4 lips on putts and didn't chip as well as I had been the previous nine holes.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:00 PM
  #264
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,824
vCash: 50
And just a note, I would only be replacing it with a steel shaft, which apparently costs about half as much.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:40 AM
  #265
Brenton Williams
Registered User
 
Brenton Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,604
vCash: 500
In serious, obsessive golfer mode at the moment.

Played 18 today and shot 68; first round in the 60s this summer. I've never driven the ball as far as I did today. I won't even say how far since this is the internet and people won't believe me, but I was crushing it.

I'll probably play again this week and shoot high 70s, but it sure felt good to put a full round together for once.

Brenton Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:21 AM
  #266
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,824
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenton Williams View Post
In serious, obsessive golfer mode at the moment.

Played 18 today and shot 68; first round in the 60s this summer. I've never driven the ball as far as I did today. I won't even say how far since this is the internet and people won't believe me, but I was crushing it.

I'll probably play again this week and shoot high 70s, but it sure felt good to put a full round together for once.
Nice. I feel as if I'm on the verge of going really low. Would be nice to just put two 9's together for once.

How far were you driving it?

I had a round last week where I had 4-5 drives over 320, which is also out of the norm for me (normally 270-300).

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 08:15 AM
  #267
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Was a guess on the club-grip cost. My buddy breaks a ton of clubs and told me that's all it costs to have it done. Never had to do it before.

And it wasn't really that I was thinking about the score. I like to think I'm pretty mentally strong when it comes to athletics as I rarely even get nervous for anything. I think it was just that I doubled the third hole on the back nine and I lost some confidence. Also burned 3-4 lips on putts and didn't chip as well as I had been the previous nine holes.
Even so, I'd recommend reading that book. After reading it you may reconsider your post here, specifically about what you wrote about the 3rd hole on the back.

Played my first round in a while with the "new" swing and fired an 80. All things considered I'm pretty happy with it. When I actually make the swing correctly it's really solid. I love the high, straight ball flight. However, when I don't make the swing correctly, it's pretty darn ugly. As soon as I can control those bad swings a little better to keep them in play, I'll be back in the mid 70's with ease.


Last edited by pelts35.com: 07-05-2011 at 10:00 AM.
pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 10:04 PM
  #268
flyersguy33*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,708
vCash: 500
New golf clubs should be here tomorrow. Prettty ****ing pumped. Got some Callaway X22 Tours with some 6.0's. Got em off golfio.com for a good price. Pretty decent website if youre lookin for some new gear. Cant wait to use them new clubs though


Heading down to OBX in a couple weeks. Been a few years since i've went down there. Playing Nags Head, Carolina Club and the Currituck club. Im just pumped for my new clubs

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 02:41 PM
  #269
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 14,339
vCash: 500
I played a round of golf with Matt McQuillan about 15-16 years ago in our hometown of Kingston, Ontario (we're the same age). He was one of three guys I knew who had realistic expectations of taking their games to the professional level; I knew the other two guys quite well, but I didn't know Matt other than by name before I had the opportunity to play a round with him.

Very pleased to see him finish in a tie for 3rd this past weekend. He's a tour rookie and he's struggled so far this year. Hopefully this boosts his confidence going forward.

__________________
I deride your truth handling abilities
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 03:06 PM
  #270
flyersguy33*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,708
vCash: 500
New clubs arrived. A thing of beauty. Cant wait to get out there and use em

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 04:09 PM
  #271
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,824
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I played a round of golf with Matt McQuillan about 15-16 years ago in our hometown of Kingston, Ontario (we're the same age). He was one of three guys I knew who had realistic expectations of taking their games to the professional level; I knew the other two guys quite well, but I didn't know Matt other than by name before I had the opportunity to play a round with him.

Very pleased to see him finish in a tie for 3rd this past weekend. He's a tour rookie and he's struggled so far this year. Hopefully this boosts his confidence going forward.
Very cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Power View Post
New clubs arrived. A thing of beauty. Cant wait to get out there and use em
Good luck.

I have an entire new set of clubs this year and it's taken me some time to get used to them, especially my wedges.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:44 PM
  #272
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,824
vCash: 50
Got my shaft fixed today, only cost $36.50. Played 9 holes and fired +2.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 08:36 AM
  #273
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
What shaft did you put in that after grip and installation cost so little? My clubfitter charges just that for installation.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:48 PM
  #274
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,824
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
What shaft did you put in that after grip and installation cost so little? My clubfitter charges just that for installation.
Not sure what kind it was. Never asked for a specific kind. It's just a generic steel one, similar to what was on it before. (It's a Callaway). I asked if he needed a new grip too and he said no, and just took my old one off and re-used it.

I was shocked at how cheap it was.

I think labour was 18 dollars and the shaft was 18 dollars.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 04:50 PM
  #275
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 31,722
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
More questions...this time about balls.

What kind of balls do you guys use? I must say that I'm a big spin guy and love to be able to control my ball around the greens alot. Pro V1's have always been my ball of choice.

Anyways, for my birthday I bought a dozen Prov's with a gift card...and shortly after that a buddy of mine bought me the exact same kind for me. The 2010 model...the Pro-V1 X's. A great ball and I love the feeling of them, just wondering if I should diversify, by returning a dozen of them and trying out something else.

What are some other "spin" or "softer" balls out there? I asked the guy at Golftown and he recommend the new Taylor Made Penta. A nice ball and I love the look and touch of them...just never actually used it. They also happen to be on sale. Should I return my Titleists and spend some extra money to try out the Pentas?
I mostly use the Taylor Made TP Reds when I want more spin on my shots. I haven't tried the Pentas out but I've heard good things. The Reds are extremely soft to hit from what I've encountered, more so then the Blacks for sure. Personally I prefer lower spin balls though so the Blacks are my usual ball of choice.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.