General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Any golfers here?

Old
08-31-2007, 08:17 AM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadadaimhollaing View Post
i can hit my 2 iron out of any lie really its one of my better clubs. im looking for a 3 wood for distance.
I stand by my first sentence, go to a golf retail store and get fitted.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 07:17 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Send a message via Yahoo to yada
I played yesterday and hit my driver decently but was way inaccurate with my irons and couldn't hit the green for nothin but I hit a terrible shot from about 130 yards with my 9 iron, the ball was left of the green and waaaay too long, I hit a tree behind the green about 15 feet off the ground got a lucky roll to 5 feet from the hole to make birdie I can't believe that bounce for my life, that was only my 3 or 4 career birdie.

I did also hit a sand wedge on a 99 yard hole to 7 feet of the pin, then I managed to 3 putt

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 12:59 PM
pelts35.com

Slightly off-topic, I won the Masters practice round lottery for 2008 and will be heading to Augusta National for the Monday practice round!!!!!

Old
09-06-2007, 04:43 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Slightly off-topic, I won the Masters practice round lottery for 2008 and will be heading to Augusta National for the Monday practice round!!!!!
AWESOME !!! That is a pretty big deal !

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Matt Foley*

Quote:
Congrats! I'd kill to be in your shoes right now. Enjoy it for all it's worth.

Matt Foley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 07:21 AM
pelts35.com

Thanks, mates. I couldn't believe it when I opened that envelope.

Sometimes fate is just on your side. How's this for a chain of events...

1. My wife's grandmother invited us (wife, 2-year old, me) to her timeshare in St. Augustine, FL for the week of April 7 a few weeks ago.

2. I win the lottery for the Masters tickets (4) for Monday the 7th. Needless to say it made the decision to visit my wife's grandmother very easy.

3. I then learn that not only can I not bring a stroller into the grounds, but my 2-year old needs a ticket, thus leaving us in a bind as I invited my parents for the other 2 tickets, not to mention that without a stroller I'd be lucky to spend 1 hour there.

4. My in-laws will be driving back from Florida that weekend and agreed to make a small detour to watch our son so that my parents, wife and I can go to the Masters.

For this one, the stars are definitely in alignment!

Old
09-13-2007, 05:12 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

I can't golf for awhile cause I just found out I have mono I wanna golf right now!!!!!!

Old
09-23-2008, 11:24 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

I've finally been able to play golf again. I think ill play this weekend again and actually keep score. I've played the last 2 weekends and didn't keep score since I wasn't hitting the ball very good. Who else is planning on playing this weekend?

Old
09-24-2008, 08:17 AM
pelts35.com

For anyone interested in seeing pictures of some different golf courses, here is a link to my Webshots page. Current courses up are Augusta National, Bethpage Black, Whistling Straits (every hole on the Straits course and a couple from the Irish), Virginia Beach National and Kingsmill Resort River course. Soon to be posted are Wolf Creek (Mesquite, NV) and Le Diable (Mt. Tremblant, QC).

http://community.webshots.com/user/p...host=community

Old
09-24-2008, 11:13 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Quote:
For anyone interested in seeing pictures of some different golf courses, here is a link to my Webshots page. Current courses up are Augusta National, Bethpage Black, Whistling Straits (every hole on the Straits course and a couple from the Irish), Virginia Beach National and Kingsmill Resort River course. Soon to be posted are Wolf Creek (Mesquite, NV) and Le Diable (Mt. Tremblant, QC).

http://community.webshots.com/user/p...host=community
do you take pics while youre playing or what do you take the pics for?

Old
09-24-2008, 12:45 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
do you take pics while youre playing or what do you take the pics for?
With the exception of Augusta National where I was only a spectator, I take pictures in between shots. In general I try to get a picture from the tee and from the fairway to the green. If I see something else that catches my eye, I'll take a picture of that too. One of my favorite pictures is from Whistling Straits while I was walking next to a tee box and saw the flagstick with nothing but Lake Michigan in the background...

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/201...d?vhost=sports

(not quite sure why the image won't load)

Obviously it has no bearing on any hole that I played that day, but I think it looks really cool.

As for why, I like having a "journal" of great courses that I have played. Many pictures hang in my office and my home or in albums.

Last edited by pelts35.com: 09-24-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old
09-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

I just looked at a few of the pics and they looked good pelts. It looked like a very blustery day as Whistling Straights. How did you shoot? What is your HC? Any favorite course you have played? I used to play nearly everyday but now get out only a few times a year.

Belamorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 03:26 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

I'll share one of my golfing stories. Happened on the driving range.

I got there late and there was only 1 spot open, right in line with the 50 yard marker. I started cranking the driver. Low screamers. At about the 10th ball, I hit the 5. Made a "crack" that you could hear from one end of the range to the other.

Now this ball stays on the 5, bends the whole sign backwards about 2-2 1/2 feet (the 50 yard marker is about 8 feet high). The sign recoils and shoots the ball back on the ground. The ball has stayed on the sign for the whole time (about 5 seconds).

Theres so much energy, the ball rockets back off the sign on and rolls on the ground back to my feet, 50 yards on the ground. The guys next to me freaked.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 05:29 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Quote:
With the exception of Augusta National where I was only a spectator, I take pictures in between shots. In general I try to get a picture from the tee and from the fairway to the green. If I see something else that catches my eye, I'll take a picture of that too. One of my favorite pictures is from Whistling Straits while I was walking next to a tee box and saw the flagstick with nothing but Lake Michigan in the background...

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/201...d?vhost=sports

(not quite sure why the image won't load)

Obviously it has no bearing on any hole that I played that day, but I think it looks really cool.

As for why, I like having a "journal" of great courses that I have played. Many pictures hang in my office and my home or in albums.
thats cool. i never thought about taking pictures on the golf course as i play.

Old
09-25-2008, 10:19 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyhouse View Post
I just looked at a few of the pics and they looked good pelts. It looked like a very blustery day as Whistling Straights. How did you shoot? What is your HC? Any favorite course you have played? I used to play nearly everyday but now get out only a few times a year.
I'm a 3 handicap.

The day I played Whistling Straits was the toughest conditions I have ever played in. It was 50 degrees and the winds were gusting close to 50 mph. The wind was so bad that putts that broke left to right even by 6 inches would break right to left. My shot of the day was on the par 3 7th. The hole was playing about 215 to the flag dead into the wind. I killed a driver and it just got to the front edge. We lasered it and my drive went 195 yards!

Bethpage Black is definitely my favorite course and I'm going back again in 2 weeks. If I lived an hour or 2 closer I'd play there every weekend.

Old
09-26-2008, 11:56 PM
BringTheReign

I remember the first time I beat my dad I felt exactly as you do right now after your birdie. (I was only 15) I beat him on the 2nd to last hole though of a local executive course.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 03:29 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheReign View Post
I remember the first time I beat my dad I felt exactly as you do right now after your birdie. (I was only 15) I beat him on the 2nd to last hole though of a local executive course.
There's nothing like playing golf with your dad. I'm very lucky in that I play with my father at least once every weekend.

Old
09-27-2008, 03:57 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
There's nothing like playing golf with your dad. I'm very lucky in that I play with my father at least once every weekend.
Wish I had that kind of opportunity. Thankfully my dad and I will be playing in the same charity golf event in a couple weeks. It's only going to be my 6th or 7th round of the year though. That's going to be absolutely brutal for me though since I'm nowhere near back in form after my knee injury this year. I still have my short game but I lost a good 60 yards on my drives simply because I couldn't play a round until just a week and a half ago.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 09:35 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Wish I had that kind of opportunity. Thankfully my dad and I will be playing in the same charity golf event in a couple weeks. It's only going to be my 6th or 7th round of the year though. That's going to be absolutely brutal for me though since I'm nowhere near back in form after my knee injury this year. I still have my short game but I lost a good 60 yards on my drives simply because I couldn't play a round until just a week and a half ago.
After a long layoff from golf there's nothing like getting back on the course. I didn't play in almost a year due to not having any money to play and from mono.

How far do you normally drive the ball and how far are you hitting it now? I know the problem I'm having is keeping my head down. I keep topping the ball as my swing isn't right at the moment since I haven't been to the range.

Old
09-28-2008, 08:22 AM
snakeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjg123* View Post
Well I think I'm the **** now at golf because I made my first birdie today on the final hole when me and my friend were tied. Anyway...

Whenever i'm doing a shot i have to overcompensate by putting my hands ahead of the ball. What I want to know is are my wrists supposed to be breaking and how much?
I think you'd get a better answer on the leafs' board

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 11:29 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
After a long layoff from golf there's nothing like getting back on the course. I didn't play in almost a year due to not having any money to play and from mono.

How far do you normally drive the ball and how far are you hitting it now? I know the problem I'm having is keeping my head down. I keep topping the ball as my swing isn't right at the moment since I haven't been to the range.
One of my friends just started doing the same thing, suffered from mono and is now back golfing. He said his entire game is off right now and that he would be lucky to break 100 right now since his whole game was based around crushing the ball off the tee.

Was hitting the ball over 270 last year with my driver on a pretty consistent basis when I was on my game. Right now I'm lucky if I can hit 220 and anything over 240 meens I absolutely killed it. I've pretty much had to go back to how I played when I was younger which is keeping the driver in the bag and teeing off with my 3 wood. I get close to the same distance (210-215 avg, max 235) with it and my accuracy is a lot better. I've shaved a few strokes off my game (broke 90 once last year, broke that my third round after the injury and 85 the next one) but that's mostly due to improving my decision making in my shot selection, I could probably shoot an 80 if I could hit the ball like I was able to before. I'm just not getting the birdie or eagle opportunities I was before.

Last edited by DaveG: 09-28-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old
09-30-2008, 11:47 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Quote:
One of my friends just started doing the same thing, suffered from mono and is now back golfing. He said his entire game is off right now and that he would be lucky to break 100 right now since his whole game was based around crushing the ball off the tee.

Was hitting the ball over 270 last year with my driver on a pretty consistent basis when I was on my game. Right now I'm lucky if I can hit 220 and anything over 240 meens I absolutely killed it. I've pretty much had to go back to how I played when I was younger which is keeping the driver in the bag and teeing off with my 3 wood. I get close to the same distance (210-215 avg, max 235) with it and my accuracy is a lot better. I've shaved a few strokes off my game (broke 90 once last year, broke that my third round after the injury and 85 the next one) but that's mostly due to improving my decision making in my shot selection, I could probably shoot an 80 if I could hit the ball like I was able to before. I'm just not getting the birdie or eagle opportunities I was before.
do you have like a 10 handicap? personally im lucky if i break 60 on the front 9
my short game has killed me when ive played the last 2 years. really i dont get too upset since im not able to play enough to shoot a good score. i start playing then end up with a long layoff. parts of my game are better then they were 2 or 3 years ago but my score hasnt reflected the improvements.

Old
10-03-2008, 04:00 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
do you have like a 10 handicap? personally im lucky if i break 60 on the front 9
my short game has killed me when ive played the last 2 years. really i dont get too upset since im not able to play enough to shoot a good score. i start playing then end up with a long layoff. parts of my game are better then they were 2 or 3 years ago but my score hasnt reflected the improvements.
About a 20 actually. I'm good when I'm on but I'm horribly inconsistent, just yesterday I shot a 95 at The Preserve (same place I broke 90 after my injury and last year) when I went after classes. I had a 10 handicap when I golfed in HS but I just picked the sport back up after I finished my undergrad. Biggest thing for me is just getting out to the local 3 pars range and practice green every 3-4 days if I can. I know a lot of people love going to the range just to break out the driver and see how far they can hit but I much prefer working on what will consist of the other 70 or 80 shots in my average round. Probably part of the reason I haven't regained much distance on my driver yet but I'll take the sacrifice since I'm willing to bet my drives will come back as I regain strength and endurance.

Old
10-05-2008, 06:15 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Quote:
About a 20 actually. I'm good when I'm on but I'm horribly inconsistent, just yesterday I shot a 95 at The Preserve (same place I broke 90 after my injury and last year) when I went after classes. I had a 10 handicap when I golfed in HS but I just picked the sport back up after I finished my undergrad. Biggest thing for me is just getting out to the local 3 pars range and practice green every 3-4 days if I can. I know a lot of people love going to the range just to break out the driver and see how far they can hit but I much prefer working on what will consist of the other 70 or 80 shots in my average round. Probably part of the reason I haven't regained much distance on my driver yet but I'll take the sacrifice since I'm willing to bet my drives will come back as I regain strength and endurance.
Oh ok you were a 10 in high school I like going to the range as I work on hitting the ball properly. I also work on my lining up my shots and where I'm hitting the ball. The driving range is actually helpful to me. I understand not errybody is the same so playing a round is helpful to you and the range isn't as helpful.

Old
10-05-2008, 07:49 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Oh no, the range is hugely helpful to me, I just don't use the tees at all when I'm there. I'm always making changes to my swing to see what I can do to improve it and that's the easiest place to do it. I just also like using the practice green or a par 3 course to work on my short game.