TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 03:56 PM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
Man, the open is looking crazy right now. Some good scores being put up
That's what happens when the greens are so soft that even long irons stick. These guys are so good with their irons that they are just firing darts at the pins.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 10:14 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Send a message via Yahoo to yada
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
That's what happens when the greens are so soft that even long irons stick. These guys are so good with their irons that they are just firing darts at the pins.
For a us open its been disappointing. I love the open and seeing these pros have to scramble for pars. I guess its nice that the rough is still makes it hard to hit the ball very well. I guess thats leaving the oppurtunity to score a low number a possibility and if you do hit it in the rough you wont have much success.

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 06:00 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

This thread hasn't been hit on in awhile. How's the other golfers shooting this year?

Hopefully I'm finally starting to score well. Broke 100 for the first time 3 rounds ago with a 92. Played last saturday and shot 106, too many blow up holes and too many penalty strokes. Last thursday I was setting a nice pace that had me looking good to shoot a 93 but couldn't finish the last 3 holes because of darkness. In this round I missed 4 or 5 3-4 footers and took a 9 on hole 10 because I topped 4 shots in a row on a par 4 plus I had 2 3 putts in a row on holes 11-12.

Old
08-31-2009, 08:31 AM
Sony Eriksson*

I finished off a 5th or rum for the first in only 9 holes....Great accomplishment i must say!

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 03:38 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadadaimhollaing View Post
This thread hasn't been hit on in awhile. How's the other golfers shooting this year?

Hopefully I'm finally starting to score well. Broke 100 for the first time 3 rounds ago with a 92. Played last saturday and shot 106, too many blow up holes and too many penalty strokes. Last thursday I was setting a nice pace that had me looking good to shoot a 93 but couldn't finish the last 3 holes because of darkness. In this round I missed 4 or 5 3-4 footers and took a 9 on hole 10 because I topped 4 shots in a row on a par 4 plus I had 2 3 putts in a row on holes 11-12.
I'm playing like utter crap this season. My handicap is up from 2 to 5 and rising.

On another note, I was lucky enough to have received notification the other day that I won the Masters practice round lottery, so I'll be heading back to Augusta for the Tuesday round!

Old
09-01-2009, 04:30 PM
TheGooooch

I have been rather inconsistent. Not really surprising since I don't get out to the range that often. The main problem that I have is that I think that I am losing a lot of distance by flicking (not sure if that is the right term) my wrists at impact. This is causing the ball to go much higher and the shot to go much shorter.

My chipping and putting is keeping me alive although I am not making as many 10 ft+ putts as I used to

Old
09-01-2009, 09:14 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Quote:
I'm playing like utter crap this season. My handicap is up from 2 to 5 and rising.

On another note, I was lucky enough to have received notification the other day that I won the Masters practice round lottery, so I'll be heading back to Augusta for the Tuesday round!
Ill trade you my good playing for your crappy playing

Old
09-02-2009, 03:32 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
I have been rather inconsistent. Not really surprising since I don't get out to the range that often. The main problem that I have is that I think that I am losing a lot of distance by flicking (not sure if that is the right term) my wrists at impact. This is causing the ball to go much higher and the shot to go much shorter.

My chipping and putting is keeping me alive although I am not making as many 10 ft+ putts as I used to
Maybe try "weakening" your grip but bringing your right hand more over your left. That should take some wrist out of it, but beware that you will probably block/fade a few until you adjust to it.

Old
09-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Happy Pony

Quote:

That's still better than most. I joined a club a few months back and have been playing at least 3 times a week since then. I'm generally shooting in the low to mid 80's but shot a personal best 74 2 weeks ago.

Congrats on the Masters, if I ever had the chance it is something I would love to do.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 12:50 AM
TheGooooch

Quote:
Maybe try "weakening" your grip but bringing your right hand more over your left. That should take some wrist out of it, but beware that you will probably block/fade a few until you adjust to it.
So I should rotate my right hand over my left a little bit more on my grip? Is that what you mean by weakening?

Old
09-04-2009, 07:43 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
So I should rotate my right hand over my left a little bit more on my grip? Is that what you mean by weakening?
Yep.

That will take some of the "flippiness" out of your swing. Experiment a little bit with how far over you want to adjust your right hand. Too much is going to result in you not releasing the clubhead at all and you hitting high block fades, but if you tweak it a little it should bring your ballfight down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike
That's still better than most. I joined a club a few months back and have been playing at least 3 times a week since then. I'm generally shooting in the low to mid 80's but shot a personal best 74 2 weeks ago.

Congrats on the Masters, if I ever had the chance it is something I would love to do.
I know it's better than most, it's just been a very frustrating season. My rounds are typically 14 good holes (3-under to even par) and then 4 bad holes (anywhere from 4 to 8 over).

The Masters is great. Tickets are easily obtainable on eBay, but the practice round will run you $200 or so and then there's the fun of paying $400 for a hotel that normally charges $100!

Old
09-08-2009, 11:29 PM
TheGooooch

Quote:
Yep.

That will take some of the "flippiness" out of your swing. Experiment a little bit with how far over you want to adjust your right hand. Too much is going to result in you not releasing the clubhead at all and you hitting high block fades, but if you tweak it a little it should bring your ballfight down.
Well. Played a round today and naturally something else started. I was still hitting them high as I haven't been to the range enough but I also was hitting the hosel (where the shaft meets the club face) on my iron shots. That sucked. I was absolutely crushing drives, would end up within 130 on a few 400+ holes, with a nice little draw too them. But then I would screw up my iron shot.

Old
09-09-2009, 12:56 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Well. Played a round today and naturally something else started. I was still hitting them high as I haven't been to the range enough but I also was hitting the hosel (where the shaft meets the club face) on my iron shots. That sucked. I was absolutely crushing drives, would end up within 130 on a few 400+ holes, with a nice little draw too them. But then I would screw up my iron shot.
Any time you are making a change you need to spend some time on the range. Like I mentioned, you need to experiment with how much grip adjustment you need to get the desired result. Weakening your grip will result in you not releasing your hands as much, so hitting a few hosel rockets or block fades isn't a surprise.

Old
09-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
I essentially quit golfing this summer...I only played maybe 10 rounds, 2 being in a tourney and I shot 77 79...scores I never shoot. Other stuff takes priority.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 08:58 PM
TheGooooch

Quote:
Any time you are making a change you need to spend some time on the range. Like I mentioned, you need to experiment with how much grip adjustment you need to get the desired result. Weakening your grip will result in you not releasing your hands as much, so hitting a few hosel rockets or block fades isn't a surprise.
I think I was doing something in my swing that was making me swing out further than normal (right elbow or something). Went to the range, was hitting them better when I was connecting but I was also hitting some hosel rockets or hard fades that went about half the distance the club should have gone.

I am playing Friday so I will be at the range for a good amount of time on Thursday afternoon as well.

Old
09-16-2009, 07:18 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
I think I was doing something in my swing that was making me swing out further than normal (right elbow or something). Went to the range, was hitting them better when I was connecting but I was also hitting some hosel rockets or hard fades that went about half the distance the club should have gone.

I am playing Friday so I will be at the range for a good amount of time on Thursday afternoon as well.
My recommendation then would be to take a lesson.

Old
09-16-2009, 08:31 PM
TheGooooch

Quote:
My recommendation then would be to take a lesson.
Probably the best advice to stop whatever I am doing early. I just got back from the range and I am completely messed up on irons. But I still keep crushing my driver far and straight.

My next round I am just going to go driver to driver to putter

Old
09-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Thricecube

FINALLY broke 85. I broke 90 7 years ago. I`ve shot many 85s and 86s, but I shot 83 today... and in the rain! I feel so special.

Thricecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 08:15 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thricecube View Post
FINALLY broke 85. I broke 90 7 years ago. I`ve shot many 85s and 86s, but I shot 83 today... and in the rain! I feel so special.
Congrats. It's always a great feeling to reach a milestone, whatever it may be.

Old
09-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:

Your swinging your arms too much more then likely. I know this is a hard concept to understand but your arms only go untill the club if half way back pointing straight to the sky, the rest is shoulder turn. You are no doubt trying to get more distance and crossing the line.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 02:11 PM
TheGooooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thricecube View Post
Congrats. That is awesome. I am waiting to get under 90. Usually I am in between 94 and 115 depending on the day but now that I am driving ridiculously well for me I just need to get my irons down and I think I could get close

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Your swinging your arms too much more then likely. I know this is a hard concept to understand but your arms only go untill the club if half way back pointing straight to the sky, the rest is shoulder turn. You are no doubt trying to get more distance and crossing the line.
Thanks for the advice. I will give it a shot.

Old
09-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Raging Bull

I shot a 78 the other day at St. George, where the Canadian Open is being held next year. I'm thinking about volunteering to work there if I can get the week off from my superintendent, such a nice course.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Stubbs88

A little read for all the golfers. This story was in the local paper today, pretty incredible. (the only confirmation is from friends of his that were playing with him, so take it for what it's worth)

http://www.capebretonpost.com/index....=286988&sc=146

Stubbs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs88 View Post
A little read for all the golfers. This story was in the local paper today, pretty incredible. (the only confirmation is from friends of his that were playing with him, so take it for what it's worth)

http://www.capebretonpost.com/index....=286988&sc=146

Well he has a ways to go to catch Kim Jong-Il out on the golf course.

http://www.anyonefortee.com/Shots/Kim.html

Belamorte is offline   Reply With Quote